Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Anyone heard from Sandfly?

Soledad

This article is what concerns me about "Sandfly".

Slain contractors in Kabul were employed by Fayetteville-based company

54cc5b463ac21.image.jpg?resize=300%2C390

Staff file photo

Walt Fisher

Walt Fisher worked with the Fayetteville police through 2001. Fisher was honored with at least two lifesaving awards while with the department, in 1996 and 2001.

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 3:01 pm | Updated: 11:01 am, Sat Jan 31, 2015.

By Michael Futch Staff writer

The three American contractors shot and killed Thursday by an Afghan soldier during an apparent "insider attack" in the capital of Kabul in Afghanistan were employed by a Fayetteville-based logistics and security support company.

Lt. Todd Joyce, a spokesman for the Fayetteville Police Department, said they had received information that one of the victims was Walt Fisher, a former police officer with the Fayetteville and Spring Lake police departments.

Published reports say Jason D. Landphair, a former resident of Chubbuck, Idaho, was also killed. News accounts vary, saying that Landphair was living in North Carolina and in Fairbanks, Alaska.

The third victim has not been identified.

The victims died from gunshot wounds, according to The Associated Press and Reuters, and another contractor was reportedly wounded.

An Afghan local national was also killed in the attack, according to the U.S. military.

The American contractors worked for Praetorian Standard Inc., a disabled veteran-owned small business that specializes "in providing innovative strategic planning, logistics, operational and security management support services in challenging environments around the world," according to its website.

The coalition contractors were employed under a Defense Department contract to help train the Afghan air force, published reports said.

Tom Lujan, corporate counsel for Praetorian Standard, would not confirm the names of those killed.

"We have some contractual proscriptions, what we can and what we can't say," he said.

The Department of Defense "does not release the names of U.S. contractors that were killed in the insider attack ...," according to spokesman Maj. Brad Avots.

Praetorian Standard released the following statement Thursday:

"We can confirm that on Jan. 29, 2015, three employees of Praetorian Standard, Inc. were killed and one was wounded in Afghanistan while supporting the efforts of the U.S. government. This was a terrible day for the families involved, our company and the United States. We are shocked by the tragic nature of these deaths and offer our deepest condolences to the families of these brave men."

The families of the slain contractors "have requested that everyone respect their privacy in this matter," the release said.

U.S. and Afghan officials have said the shooting happened in the early evening hours Thursday at the North Kabul International Airport complex, in a section reserved for the military.

Officials said the shooter was dressed in an Afghan soldier's uniform.

Fisher joined the Spring Lake Police Department in 1992. He later joined the Fayetteville police, remaining on staff through at least 2001.

Fisher was honored with at least two Life Saving awards while with Fayetteville police, in 1996 and 2001.

In 1993, he won a bronze medal as a powerlifter at a competition held in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was among a half-dozen Fayetteville police officers who took on the best athletes from police and fire departments from 26 countries in powerlifting and other sports competitions.

The Fayetteville office of Praetorian Standard is on Doc Bennett Road. The company also maintains offices in Woodbridge, Virginia, and Bethesda, Maryland, based on its website.

Staff writer Michael Futch can be reached at futchm@fayobserver.com or 486-3529.

:(:praying: :praying:

:cowboy2:

prayers for Sandfly

Agreed Moose...Let's pray for him and hope for the best.....

I know that now we are all depressed and even more concerned after reading that article.

It'd be  appreciated if somebody   here could  let us know his name and / or his US location. Grazie

Edited by umbertino

I wanted to come back and check to see if anyone has heard from Sandfly.  Now I really want to know he's ok.  I wanted to start this thread because I noticed that Sandfly missed some important news about the budget the other day.  He's one of our own. 

Good idea umbertino, if anyone knows how to reach him. please do, we know he's in a dangerous place, but his friends want to know he's ok.

• Upvote 2

This article says that Walt Fisher (RIP) was 49.

http://www.nbc26.tv/story/27992528/3-men-shot-in-afghanistan-worked-for-north-carolina-firm

Sandfly's birthday is in 1964, so that would be 1-2 years difference. Hopefully

While my heart goes out to the three that were killed I know 

from conversations that I've had with Sandfly that he and I 

are the same age. 

He does go places that would have no communication abilities. 

And when he goes home he seldom post. 

As with all our men and women in combat he does need prayers always, 

but I'm sure fly's doing well 

• Upvote 1

While my heart goes out to the three that were killed I know 

from conversations that I've had with Sandfly that he and I 

are the same age. 

He does go places that would have no communication abilities. 

And when he goes home he seldom post. 

As with all our men and women in combat he does need prayers always, 

but I'm sure fly's doing well 

Grazie LGD...Let's hope

Has anyone heard from sarges gals???

And from Rayzur......