Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Take the NIV quiz

sheltagar

Home › Information on Bible Versions › Article

Menu

Try Answering These From Your NIV

By Rex L. Cobb

INSTRUCTIONS:

Using the New International Version Bible, answer the following questions to this NIV quiz.

Do not rely on your memory. As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the Bible verse (not from footnotes but from the text).

Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies,__________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."

According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon?

According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?

According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?

In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.

In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________

According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?

According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?

In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?

In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?

In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?

According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?

In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?

John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?

What happened each year as told in John 5:4?

In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?

In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?

What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?

Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.

Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?

Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.

First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?

In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?

Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?

Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"

Conclusion: Little space is provided for your answers, but it's much more than needed. If you followed the instructions above, you not only failed the test, you receive a big goose egg.

(Ed. These are all missing in the NIV.) So now what do you think of your "accurate, easy to understand, up to date Bible"?

If you would like to improve your score, and in fact score 100%, you can take this test using the Authorized (King James) Bible.

What does the NIV have against Jesus?

You can use any bible version with this quiz. Please be honest and type in your score with the version you used

Home › Information on Bible Versions › Article

Menu

Try Answering These From Your NIV

By Rex L. Cobb

INSTRUCTIONS:

Using the New International Version Bible, answer the following questions to this NIV quiz.

Do not rely on your memory. As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the Bible verse (not from footnotes but from the text).

Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies,__________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."

According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon?

According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?

According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?

In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.

In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________

According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?

According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?

In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?

In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?

In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?

According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?

In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?

John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?

What happened each year as told in John 5:4?

In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?

In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?

What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?

Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.

Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?

Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.

First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?

In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?

Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?

Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"

Conclusion: Little space is provided for your answers, but it's much more than needed. If you followed the instructions above, you not only failed the test, you receive a big goose egg.

(Ed. These are all missing in the NIV.) So now what do you think of your "accurate, easy to understand, up to date Bible"?

If you would like to improve your score, and in fact score 100%, you can take this test using the Authorized (King James) Bible.

What does the NIV have against Jesus?

You can use any bible version with this quiz. Please be honest and type in your score with the version you used

Are you Rex L. Cobb?

Edited by moose 57

Because the King James is the only bible i can trust. Most of the others are from the pagan catholic vulgate.

But im sure u have a twisted idea

1) King James translators purposely mistranslated at least one key word, and that is Sovereign. As in, the Sovereignty of God. Do your research. I like the King James as much as anyone, but it isn't perfect. You have to continually research and learn what the original text actually said. And before you come after me with a verbal hatchet, DO YOUR DUE DILLIGENCE.

2) Why would you be so rude to Nelg? Nelg isn't your enemy. He's not an unbeliever. He's not a cowardly Christian. He's not a jerk. He's not against you. He's not against Truth. It's your choice, but you really should read what the King James says about pride, and about causing offense, and causing strife, especially with a member of the Body.

And when you preach to the choir, try not to throw up all over them.

For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Edited by Deborah Layne
  • Upvote 5

Because the King James is the only bible i can trust. Most of the others are from the pagan catholic vulgate.

But im sure u have a twisted idea

Can you define a the word translation?  Can you tell me what it means?  

No legitimate or sound translation uses only one translation!  Translations are made from multiple Greek MSS, papyrus MSS, Scrolls, quotations, etc. and not from a just one copy of a translation, aka. the Latin Vulgate.  

I remember my daughter telling a story about her experience in a Bible class when she was about 30.  The teacher of the class was a nice man and always seemed prepared to teach.  He was accustom to reading and studying the KJV in the class, which was perfectly acceptable, but many in the class brought different translations.  Someone was always ask to read the passage being studied that morning.  My daughter was ask to read.  Upon finishing the reading the teacher said, "I'm not familiar with the translation, which one is it?" She calmly stated, "I guess it's mine.  I'm reading from the Greek text." 

My point is this.  If you were reading from the original Greek and Hebrew text, you would do so with words that you understood the text to mean; it would be rich with your culture, background, and understanding. The text would remain the same, but the translation would be different than someone who read the text in 1611.

Anyone who ever translated between languages quickly understands one thing, it’s impossible to completely and accurately translate between languages. The translator must always choose different wording to convey the original idea; sometimes it’s impossible to express the idea of one language in another.  As such, the translation is never as good as the original; it’s always a compromise of sorts and is subject to the personal ideas of the translator (which is why we must understand the personal ideas of the translator).The idea we can have a perfect translation is gone — they all have problems. Understanding which translations have which problems is important. The only way to do that is compare, study, and learn! 

But we need to answer the question, “Are we better off today with all these translations—or worse? What are the real differences?”

Except for the NKJV, virtually all modern translations are following the most ancient MSS. So, the textual basis (though different in a few particulars) is largely the same. And even here, no cardinal doctrine is at stake in any of these textual differences. God has preserved his word in such a way that a person could get saved reading the KJV, Tyndale, Bishops’, RSV, NIV, REB or NET.

Does all this cause confusion? Have we somehow lost the sure Word of God? Not at all.  The reality is that the certainty that the King James Bible provided for 270 years could only happen if the church and state combined forces, as they did in 1611 England. But things are different now, especially in America. I don’t think we really want the U.S. Senate telling us what Bible we should have in our churches!

For the first 1500 years of the church’s existence, we had only handwritten MSS. But the church was able to survive with that. And those MSS differed more than the modern translations do today! It is only with the invention of the printing press that we have been able to embrace the myth of certainty about all the particulars of the wording of the Bible. Even though there are significant differences in the wording and style of these new Bibles, they all proclaim the same message.

Even with the proliferation of Bibles today, Christians are reading their Bibles less and less. I believe the church has only 50 years of life left. 50 years left of evangelicalism because of marginalization of the Word of God.

We need another Restoration!

The enemy of the gospel now is not religious hierarchy but moral anarchy, not tradition but entertainment.

The enemy of the gospel is “churchanity” run amuck; it is an anti-intellectual, anti-knowledge, feel-good faith that has no content and no convictions.

And even more importantly, there must be repentance with regard to Christ our Lord. Just as the Bible has been marginalized, Jesus Christ has been ‘buddy-ized.’ His transcendence and majesty are only winked at, as we turn him into the genie in the bottle, beseeching God for more conveniences, more luxury, less hassle, and a life without worries or lack of comfort. He no longer wears the face that the apostles recognized. Or, as Erasmus remarked, “When you read the Greek New Testament, you can see the face of Jesus more clearly than if you were one of his disciples”! A bit of hyperbole, but the point is worth underscoring: The God we worship today no longer resembles the God of the Bible.

We, the saint, need a return to him through a reading and digesting of the scriptures—through a commitment to the text, then the church will become relevant to our day, useful to the community, alive with passion for the lost, and dedicated to the truth of the gospel! 

• Upvote 2

1) King James translators purposely mistranslated at least one key word, and that is Sovereign. As in, the Sovereignty of God. Do your research. I like the King James as much as anyone, but it isn't perfect. You have to continually research and learn what the original text actually said. And before you come after me with a verbal hatchet, DO YOUR DUE DILLIGENCE.

2) Why would you be so rude to Nelg? Nelg isn't your enemy. He's not an unbeliever. He's not a cowardly Christian. He's not a jerk. He's not against you. He's not against Truth. It's your choice, but you really should read what the King James says about pride, and about causing offense, and causing strife, especially with a member of the Body.

And when you preach to the choir, try not to throw up all over them.

For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

I really dont see you as a member of the body of christ. If and only if you have been truly born again as per Acts 2:37,38 with evidence of speaking in other tongues.

If u arent and mock Acts2:38 , then i must rebuke you satan in the name of Jesus.

I really dont see you as a member of the body of christ. If and only if you have been truly born again as per Acts 2:37,38 with evidence of speaking in other tongues.

If u arent and mock Acts2:38 , then i must rebuke you satan in the name of Jesus.

Lol! You must be really fun at parties! :lol:

• Upvote 3

I am Hoping one of our wise men can teach you something.  If you cannot learn to play well with others, i will remove your posting priviledges.  Please keep an open mind.

2 Timothy 2:23-26New King James Version (NKJV)

23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

• Upvote 2

God hates those who cause division among his people (Proverbs 6:19), and I can tell you from personal experience that the KJV-only crowd has caused as much division within the Church as any other group I can think of.

I’m not a big proponent of the NIV but I can prove to you that the 1611 KJV contains errors that are significant in terms of their potential impact on one’s theology. For instance in Galatians 2:21 the KJV says, “I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.” The word “dead” here is both a grammatical (as it relates to tense) and theological mistranslation of the Greek verb ἀπέθανεν (died). Jesus died but he is not dead. That’s an important distinction to make.

I suspect that Sheltegar gets his/her information from books written by Gail Riplinger. Many who attack the NIV are inspired to do so from having read the very poor treatise by Gail Riplinger, "New Age Bible Versions." Her education is in Home Economics (a point that she neglects to mention in her books) – unless she has recently learned Greek and Hebrew she remains completely ignorant of both. I’m willing to accept the premise that someone whose education is in something other than Theology or Biblical Texts can write a valuable book on biblical subjects, but Gail Riplinger is not one of them. She is selective to the point of being dishonest and her book is full of misinformation from cover to cover. Some of her mistakes are so evident that I am embarrassed for her. For example, she comments on the term “a peculiar people” in Titus 2:14 and I Peter 2:9. Of this point she says,

“It meant odd when Peter and Paul wrote it and when Moses wrote it 4000 years earlier,” (NABV, Ararat, VA: A.V. Publications, 1993, eleventh printing 2000, p. 171).

Someone should let her know that Moses lived about 1400 years before Peter and Paul, not 4000.

Her belief that there is a word for word preservation by God of the KJV implies that there was none until 1611 because, since the KJV differs from the Greek and Hebrew significantly, they could not have been likewise preserved by God. The claim is absurd. Only a fraction of the world’s people can even speak English let alone navigate the KJV. Does God not care enough for them to have preserved his word for them?

• Upvote 2

For the love of Pete, simmer down, zip your lip and discern the voice of the Holy Spirit.

What is wrong with you?

Edited by Deborah Layne

Well, I don't personally own a NIV translation so, I guess I am exempt from the test...

I am unfortunately not fluent in Hebrew or ancient Aramaic/Greek and therefore am unable to read the scripture in the way I would prefer to so, instead I use mostly a Bible app that contains both the 1611 and the 1769 Oxford Edition KJV with the Apocrypha and I also use a hard copy of the 2009 Edition of The Scriptures, by the Institute For Scripture Research which restored the original names of Elohim and his Son as well as the prophets, books of the Bible and other mistranslated words, etc. and it has been a great help to have it, however, we must keep in mind that NO translation is perfect and that only with our sincere and prayerful attitudes toward YHWH's Word will we be blessed with true understanding.

I believe that YHWH gives us the understanding we need when we need it and whether you are reading the NIV or the KJV or any other number of translations IF you seek him and his truth he will make a way for you.

There is such a spirit of confusion about Scripture and some of that does stem from the translations, transliterations and outright changing of words... This is why for myself at least i have to go beyond just reading one translation and really examine things like comparing original words and meanings to the English. I mean most people aren't even aware of the fact that Scripture had no punctuations of any kind in the original text because the languages didn't have them as well as vowels, etc.

If you take the word "Bible" for instance and ask any number of people where it came from I am positive 99% of them would not know the answer. YHWH's Word is Scripture. There is no mention in the Bible of it being called The Bible, however, the word scripture is used once in the book of Daniel and 54 times in the New Testament and it refers to all of the books or scrolls which are biblos or biblion in Greek, however, these two words do not refer to the complete writ, the Scriptures. The word Bible did not come into use until 400 A.D. so, we could say that we aren't even using the correct title for YHWH's Word.

We have to be diligent in honoring our Father and seeking his truth because there is much to overcome and without him and the understanding and spiritual knowledge that only he can provide we are left to our own devices and that unfortunately will not get us what we truly need.

Edited by Djorgie
  • Upvote 1

Were Jesus' disciples born again at anytime during His ministry, their own baptisms, as THEY were baptizing, during John the Baptist's ministry, after His resurrection, when He breathed on them in the upper room, while they were with him before His ascension, during His ascension, or after His ascention until the moment they received the SECOND baptism and spoke in tongues?

You just now condemned the Disciples to hell, if they'd have died the moment before being given the ability to speak in tongues.

Young man, you need to drop that hatchet, take hold of yourself, and take a knee.

That's the last word on this subject, as far as I'm concerned. Contain yourself.

Edited by Deborah Layne
  • Upvote 1

Were Jesus' disciples born again at anytime during His ministry, their own baptisms, as THEY were baptizing, during John the Baptist's ministry, after His resurrection, when He breathed on them in the upper room, while they were with him before His ascension, during His ascension, or after His ascention until the moment they received the SECOND baptism and spoke in tongues?

You just now condemned the Disciples to hell, if they'd have died the moment before being given the ability to speak in tongues.

Young man, you need to drop that hatchet, take hold of yourself, and take a knee.

That's the last word on this subject, as far as I'm concerned. Contain yourself.

Agreed Deborah!

There is no need for hostility... The Holy Spirit is received through faith and obedience...

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperence... and even though we get upset at others somtimes we should always allow the Spirit to override those ugly fleshly tendencies and feelings and pour out the fruit of the Spirit on others.

• Upvote 1

Sheltagar, it is not you who declares who is and who is not within the body of Christ, it is the Lord.  Are you taking His place on the throne of Judgment?  Yet you have done just that!  

Act 2:38 is a powerful and beautiful passage that tells one what must be done and what will be received that places them into the body of Christ.  But you are using it like a club to drive individuals away from salvation.  Do you not understand what you are doing?  

The passage states that when one repents and is baptized that person received the forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit.  It says nothing about "tongues," and yet you have added that to the text!  The "gift of the Holy Spirit" is stating that we receive the "Holy Spirit" and not the gift of tongues.  Tongues was ONE of the many gifts of the Spirit given to the early church.  Not all spoke in tongues (1Cor 14:30), but only those who received that particular gift. And then they were limited and told not to speak in a language no one understood unless there was an interpreter.  Tongues has nothing to do with declaring one a child of God!  To make such a statement is speaking where the Bible does not speak.  Are you guilty of that?

What one receives when baptized is the Holy Spirit, the promise of the Father to every child of God. "For the promise is for you and your children, and all who are far off, an many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself" (Acts 2:39).  So everyone who comes to Christ by faith (Gal 3:14), and is obedient (Acts 5:32; Ep 1:13-14), receives the Holy Spirit.  The Spirit is the seal and earnest of our inheritance, it is not the "gift" of tongues.  It is the Giver not the gift that lives (indwells) us.  It is Paul, the apostle, who states that "if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him (Rom 8:9).  He does not say, "if you don't speak in tongues, he does not belong to Him."  He does say "For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God," and "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" (Rom 8:14, 16).  That "witness" is the putting off the sins of the flesh, and of putting to death the deeds of the flesh (Rom 8).  Again, he does NOT state that the evidence of our being a child of God is "speaking in tongues." So why do you make it a requirement?  God never has made a "gift" equal to the Holy Spirit, "the Giver" of gifts.  

I think you are being led astray of truth by some of your reading and teachers.  It might be advantageous for you to question their teaching more . . . or get away from them all together.  

• Upvote 2

Ummm...?? Is this okay to leave on somebody's profile here?

sheltagar

I feel sorry for your husband. Do u have a life , u seem to live on this website?

U might want to read the post on womens libbers.

As for assaulting ppl , thats ur opinion.

I dont take orders from bigmouth ,women. And like i said before if you arent born again as per Acts 2:37,38, you arent BORN AGAIN.

Today, 05:11 PM

Ummm...?? Is this okay to leave on somebody's profile here?

sheltagar

I feel sorry for your husband. Do u have a life , u seem to live on this website?

U might want to read the post on womens libbers.

As for assaulting ppl , thats ur opinion.

I dont take orders from bigmouth ,women. And like i said before if you arent born again as per Acts 2:37,38, you arent BORN AGAIN.

Today, 05:11 PM

No it is not okay - and that member is now on permanent mod review. Nothing he/she posts will be visible unless approved by a mod.

Sorry you had to deal with that Deborah.

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 1