Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Bacteria, gut organisms linked to health, autism, schizophrenia, depression, diabetes, allergies and obesity

Markinsa

bacteria_inline_1a4m6tc-1a4m6tg.jpg

Bacteria, gut organisms linked to health, autism, schizophrenia, depression, diabetes, allergies and obesity

They may have the power to alter your thoughts, your behaviour, how well you feel or influence why you can't shed those unwanted kilos.

They outnumber us 100 trillion to one and they know you intimately.

The number of bacteria and other organisms in the human gut, known collectively as microbiota, are thought to be approximately 10 times more numerous than the entire number of cells in the body and scientists are only just starting to unlock the secrets of how they affect us.

As the world of gut bacteria and other microscopic organisms in our bodies begins to be explored it turns out the organisms are weirder than anyone thought possible.

They have been described as an organ of the body in their own right, and could hold the key to preventing or treating obesity, asthma, diabetes, autism or schizophrenia.

Some bacteria's impact is undisputed. Escheria coli, better known as E.coli, is known to cause food poisoning and is largely transmitted when people inadvertently swallow faeces that contain it.

But the jury is still out for how other microbiota effect people.

While bacteria have evolved to live in humans, the human body has also evolved to cater to the bacteria and other organisms living within us.

In some cases it almost seems that humans appear to be willing zombies, catering to the whims of the visitors in our intestines.

Mice unafraid of cats

In animal studies the evidence is intriguing.

If mice are treated with an intestinal parasite called toxoplasma the rodents lose their fear of cats.

Toxoplasma needs to reproduce inside the guts of felines, and these tiny organisms somehow can alter the mice's behaviour.

Normally fearful of cat smell, they become attracted to cats, even displaying the same behaviours if they are treated to remove the parasites, suggesting they permanently change the animals' brains.

Some humans also have toxoplasma in their gut and studies are underway to see whether they can influence our actions, too.

In people toxoplasma have been linked to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, although the jury is still out on whether the parasite is a symptom or a cause of the problems.

The insect world is not immune to the influence of micro-organisms, either.

Jungle-dwelling turtle ants are known to act oddly when a particular nematode enters them.

The ants' rear turns red, and the creatures go to tree tops where they wave their abdomen around.

Birds, apparently attracted to what they think is a shiny fruit, eat the ants, leaving the nematodes to complete their life cycle, which must occur inside birds.

Cause of 'Western diseases'?

Professor Charles Mackay from Sydney University is a medical researcher with 35 years' experience and he believes gut microbiota may hold the key to unlocking most so-called Western lifestyle diseases.

"When you look at almost any condition that exists now that didn't exist 40 or 50 years ago, or was much less common 40 or 50 years ago, there is a good chance that it is relating to the actions of the gut microbiota," Professor Mackay said.

"I would include in that list food allergies, asthma, type one and type two diabetes, obesity and possibly autism and a few other things.

"That is what I think is likely although some of that is not yet fully established, but that is how things are shaping up," he said.

He said some cancers, including colon cancer, may also be impacted by people's intestinal flora, and conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease.

Professor Mackay said the course of study could have a bigger impact on human health than any other medical breakthrough for 30 or 40 years.

"This is a revolution in human medicine," he said.

He said the study is still an evolving field, but one that is causing an explosion in interest.

Professor Mackay explained the rationale behind how bacteria could be impacting on so many different parts of the human body.

"There are these trillions of bacteria in our gut that are pouring out molecules because they serve a function in our gut to digest fibre and do a whole lot of other things, and produce metabolites.

"These metabolites they can enter the blood and go all over the body.

"A bacteria that might infect your gut could be producing some molecule, maybe a common one, or a less common one, that has some fundamental role on a distal cell, maybe a nerve cell or another type of cell for another disease that is profoundly affecting its function, or adversely affecting its function," he said.

Trouble losing weight? Some bacteria like sugars and other like fats.

Professor Mackay said such links are interesting, but no proof has yet been found to show unhealthy cravings are determined by gut bacteria.

A major US study known as the Human Microbiome Project has tried to identify micro-organisms associated with both healthy and unhealthy people.

The study has already shown that microbes contribute more genes responsible for people's survival than humans' own genes, and that there are more than 10,000 microbial species in the human ecosystem.

Hitting back

While bacteria can negatively impact on the body, possibly even controlling thoughts, the good news is that they also offer ways to help people, and studies have shown that bacteria levels can be manipulated to make people healthier.

PhD student at Queensland University Megan Rossi conducted her thesis into links between gut bacteria and kidney disease.

She found that loading up kidney disease patients with good bacteria, known as pro-biotics, and healthy food for the bacteria to live in, known as pre-biotics, helped the patients.

"Compared to placebos the pre and pro-biotics were able to inhibit the production of those harmful toxins, resulting in a significant decrease in their blood concentration," Ms Rossi said earlier this year.

"Further none of the patients reported any adverse side-effects, nor did it impact on the quality of their lives."

But before you go loading up with pro-biotic capsules from the chemist or good bacteria drinks for sale in supermarkets, beware that they are only part of the solution.

Professor Mackay said the pre-biotics stage was crucial, because having loads of good bacteria is not helpful if the bacteria do not have the fibre or other healthy things they need to multiply.

Also, many of the bacteria identified in the human body have not been able to be grown in a laboratory, so some that may be crucial for good health cannot yet be replicated in a pill.

Poo transplants?

Although it may seem unsavoury, having faeces from healthy people loaded with good bacteria transplanted directly into the intestines of sick patients is increasingly being seen as a useful tool by doctors.

Known as faecal microbiota transplantation it has been shown to effectively treat patients suffering from an infection known as Clostridium difficile, which has been tough to treat using conventional methods.

C. difficile has been linked to thousands of deaths per year in the USA so any new method of dealing with it has been welcomed.

But could unhealthy, fat, diabetic or autistic people or those with food allergies one day be cured by stool transplants from healthy people?

"Maybe faecal transplants will be useful for a wide range of diseases but I think it won't be long before we figure out the right combinations of bacteria that can achieve the same effect, lets see, that would be more palatable, and controlled than faecal transplants,"  Professor Mackay said. 

"Regardless, these types of new approaches to human diseases are exciting and could change medical practice," he said.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Markinsa - got me looking into a few things - will back you up with this one - From Harvard none the less

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml

"Self-dosing with bacteria isn’t as outlandish as it might seem. An estimated 100 trillion microorganisms representing more than 500 different species inhabit every normal, healthy bowel. These microorganisms (or microflora) generally don’t make us sick; most are helpful. Gut-dwelling bacteria keep pathogens (harmful microorganisms) in check, aid digestion and nutrient absorption, and contribute to immune function.

The best case for probiotic therapy has been in the treatment of diarrhea. Controlled trials have shown that Lactobacillus GG can shorten the course of infectious diarrhea in infants and children (but not adults). Although studies are limited and data are inconsistent, two large reviews, taken together, suggest that probiotics reduce antibiotic-associated diarrhea by 60%, when compared with a placebo.

Probiotic therapy may also help people with Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Clinical trial results are mixed, but several small studies suggest that certain probiotics may help maintain remission of ulcerative colitis and prevent relapse of Crohn’s disease and the recurrence of pouchitis (a complication of surgery to treat ulcerative colitis). Because these disorders are so frustrating to treat, many people are giving probiotics a try before all the evidence is in for the particular strains they’re using. More research is needed to find out which strains work best for what conditions."

SERIOUSLY, I TAKE A PRODUCT (I'M NOT SELLING) WHICH HAS GREATLY DECREASED MY IMMATURE GRANULOCYTE COUNT (BABY WHITE CELLS WHICH ARE PUMPED OUT BY YOUR MARROW BECAUSE THEY'RE ON ALERT THAT THERE'S DISEASE IN THE BODY) AND GREATLY INCREASED MY MONOCYTE COUNT (MATURE WHITE CELLS WHICH CAN FIGHT OFF DISEASE) - MY IMMUNE SYSTEM WAS ON THE VERGE OF LEUKEMIA BEFORE I STARTED TAKING THIS - AND IT'S GREAT FOR GUT HEALTH TOO. BUTI IS TAKING THIS TOO AND SHE SAYS SHE'S NEVER FELT BETTER. IT ADDRESSES EVERY ILLNESS, BECAUSE IT HEALS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM.

Edited by TBomb
  • Upvote 2

Another way to build pro-biotics in the gut is to eat cultured foods.  Kifer, cultured veggies and Kombucha.  There is a site called Cultured Foods for Life that shows you how to grow your own cultured foods.  On the site, Donna (the owner), shares her story on how she rebuilt her premature daughter's immune system with Kifer. 

I have been culturing for a while and I find it helpful.

• 1 month later...

There has been a great deal of propaganda about the evils of E. coli. General Escheria coli (E. coli) are a normal part of all animals digestive systems. Only a few strains are dangerous. http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/general/

If the dangerous strains of E. coli are able to multiply (usually a semi-sanitary environment like food) then a danger exists. If any E. coli is found in food it is an indication of fecal contamination because they are normally in feces. Most E. coli are not dangerous and are beneficial to digestion. With fecal contamination come other things besides E. coli that you may not want to eat.  Thus if E. coli are found in food it is best to avoid eating it (poop).

As a side note it has come to my attention that Afghanistan has a very high rate of fecal dust and anyone that has been there should do some detoxification with a holistic health provider. Detoxification and digestive balancing has resolved physical, mental and emotional issues in many individuals. Our digestive system is full of nerve cells and may contribute to our consciousness.

HARMLESS E. coli can be found on toothbrushes. http://www.medicinenet.com/truth_about_your_toothbrush_pictures_slideshow/article.htm   IF the E. coli happen to be the 0157 strain (unlikely) they are not generally able to reproduce to significant levels. Belt buckles are also a source.

That being said I keep my toothbrush in the cabinet instead of on the counter. I also close the toilet before flushing to reduce airborne contaminates. I am a man and believe everyone should put the seat down before flushing. A ring to seal in the vapors or a fan to suck them away would help even more (free invention ideas). Of course a house with dedicated toilet rooms are great (outhouses are cold). Go RV!

• Upvote 1