Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Makers Of Kit Kat And Milkyway Join Ebola Fight

UNEEK

Makers Of Kit Kat And Milkyway Join Ebola Fight

By Ben Rooney  @ben_rooney October 14, 2014: 11:16 AM ET

ebola cocoa Health workers in Liberia dress in protective clothing before taking the body of an Ebola victim.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The world's largest chocolate companies are joining the fight against Ebola.

West Africa is where most of the world's cocoa beans are grown and the companies are concerned that the virus could disrupt supply of the raw material for chocolate. Already, wholesale cocoa prices have been soaring in recent weeks.

Nestlé, Hershey and Mars say they have already responded to a call from the World Cocoa Foundation, a non-profit that helps small cocoa farmers.

The group plans to disclose Wednesday how much it has raised. Others in the group include Hershey (HSY), Godiva, Ghirardelli, General Mills (GIS) and Mondelez International (MDLZ).

Donations will go to the International Federation of Red Cross, the Red Crescent Societies, and Caritas, a charity affiliated with the Catholic Church.

Related: Hazmat suit maker's stock up 50% on Ebola fears

Nestlé, the Swiss company that makes KitKat, Butterfinger and Crunch said it is "deeply concerned" about the spread of Ebola in West Africa, where many of its 6,300 African employees are based.

Ebola crisis: World Bank pledges $400M

Mars Chocolate -- maker of MilkyWay, Twix and M&Ms -- said it was "happy to support" the initiative.

West Africa produces 70% of the world's cocoa supply. The largest cocoa producer in the world is the Ivory Coast, which has so far avoided contamination.

But there is concern that migrant workers may not be allowed into the country to help with this year's harvest. The Ivory Coast, also called Côte D'Ivoire, closed off its borders with Guinea and Liberia in August.

More than 4,000 people have died from Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, according to the latest figures from the World Health Organization. If it is not contained, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates there could be hundreds of thousands of Ebola cases in coming months.

The United States and other governments have pledged tens of millions of dollars to pay for everything from medicine and protective clothing for aid workers to safe burials for the deceased.

Last month, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced Wednesday it will donate $50 million to help fight the Ebola outbreak.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/13/news/ebola-cocoa/index.html

Glad to contribute Nadita --  wish I had the time / freedom to post more -  there's definitely a lot out there that we have access to  that we did not until the internet came along -- I think  I have learned more in the last 6 years while being in this investment that I learned in school - I have read probably twice as much for sure -

Mr Young Zuckenburg just spent 100 million for 700 acres in Hawaii  - wow   1 million  would change my life  and several others to a  very comfortable contented state --  come on RV

Nadita -- pay attention to china - lots of attention to China & Russia - they are wanting to negotiate deals and snuff out the US & US dollars

HUMMMM  I thought that "nougat" was that whipped creamy  filling -  kinda reminds me of marshmallow cream -    lets get some help:

Nougat (US pronunciation: /ˈnɡət/ NOO-gət; UK /ˈnʌɡət/ NUG-ət or /ˈnɡɑː/ NOO-gaa;[1][2][3]French pronunciation: ​[nu.ɡa]) is a family of confectioneries made with sugar and/or honey, roasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, and recently macadamia nuts are common), whipped egg whites, and sometimes chopped candied fruit. The consistency of nougat can range from soft and chewy to hard and crunchy, and it is used in a variety of candy bars and chocolates.

The word nougat comes from Occitan pan nogat (pronounced [ˈpa nuˈɣat]), seemingly from Latin panis nucatus 'nut bread', (the late colloquial Latin adjective nucatum = 'nutted, nutty').

There are three basic kinds of nougat. The first, and most common, is white nougat("mandorlato" or "torrone" in Italy), made with beaten egg whites and honey; it appeared in Cremona, Italy in the early 15th century and in Montélimar, France, in the 18th century.

The second is brown nougat ( nougatine in French) which is made without egg whites and has a firmer, often crunchy texture.

The third is the Viennese or German nougat which is essentially a chocolate and nut (usually hazelnut) praline.

• Upvote 1