Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

WORLD CHOCOLATE SUPPLY & HARVEST THREATENED

UNEEK

The average person probably does not think about the impact of things like the ebola virus directly or even indirectly on their everyday life --  It did not even hit me until just recently as I began to read more  - I am probably still too late to stock up on cocoa without the price already being adjusted -

I use a lot of cocoa - probably every week with all the brownies, cookies and candy I make and give away  -- Just as I have written before - everything has a ripple effect  --  

With things like this virus, storm devastation, war  & other major catastrophes -- though ----- one can wonder how and what was pre planned --  hummmmmm.......  <3 <3 <3 UNEEK

Ebola Outbreak In Africa Threatens World Chocolate Supplies As Harvest Nears

The West African nation of about 20 million people, also known as Côte D’Ivoire, has yet to experience a single case of Ebola, but the world outbreak has already impacted this nation's economy, raising prices on chocolate around the world.

Ivory Coast is the world’s largest producer of cacao, which is the raw ingredient in M&M’s, Butterfingers, Snickers Bars, and your favorite chocolate bar.

Experts say that the Ebola outbreak in and around the Ivory Coast region has placed a major crimp on the workforce needed to pick the beans that end up in chocolate bars and other treats just as the harvest season begins.

Photo by Ian Waldie/Getty Images

Due to the Ebola outbreak in neighboring countries, officials in the Ivory Coast have shut down its borders with Liberia and Guinea, putting a major burden on the workforce needed to pick the beans that end up in chocolate bars and other treats just as the cacao harvest season begins.

According to data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the Ivory Coast produces about 1.6 million metric tons of cacao beans per year, or about a third of the world's total.

More than 8,000 people have been diagnosed with Ebola in several African nations, and nearly 4,000 have died in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Next to Ivory Coast is Ghana, the world’s third-largest producer of cacao beans with 15 percent of the world’s total.

Investors are also worried about this potential drastic economic impact.

Jack Scoville, an analyst and vice president at the Chicago-based Price Futures Group, said prices on cocoa futures jumped from their normal trading range of $2,000 to $2,700 per ton, to as high as $3,400 in September over concerns about the spread of Ebola to the Ivory Coast.

The world's chocolate makers have also began taking donations for an Ebola initiative, hoping to stop the rapid spread of the disease and help those who are sick to recover.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ebola-outbreak-africa-threatens-world-chocolate-supplies-as-harvest-nears?cid=taboola_inbound

I Hear ya I hear ya!!!!  -- my fav is white chocolate or almond bark these days -- But I sure do make a lot of the chocolate and give it away -   At Christmas time I make almond joy  / mounds balls and peanut butter balls - and fudge - OMG what will I do - ?? Make a lot less  or something different - Butter is almost pricing me out of doing any - and I will not use margarine  -- thanks for  your comments -- maybe this will pass - many rich folks are contributing to the cause - so maybe -- just maybe it will not be an issue so much

• Upvote 2

Hey this is good news for Cacao producers here in the Solomon Islands.

Our production barely registers on the world stage but we have high quality beans so these higher flow on prices will assist the farmers to rebuild after the devastating floods in April.

• Upvote 1

Hey this is good news for Cacao producers here in the Solomon Islands.

Our production barely registers on the world stage but we have high quality beans so these higher flow on prices will assist the farmers to rebuild after the devastating floods in April.

Hey FlyHi this is great news thanks for sharing +1  but the prices have already gone up -  they just do that  automatically don't they? 

Hey Uneek, not quite automatic price adjustment. There is a futures market that sets the trend. Already we have seen prices lift 25% here in Sol Is. Just as well as all the other commodities are nose diving right now...coconut oil, palm oil etc.