Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kobani Incoming Recent Breaking News Updates

Like Adam says.... the news is not necessarily accurate.... and apparently the General leading the US effort is not getting the recent info either..... I don't get why a General would say.....".at best Kobani itself is a stalemate, with ISIS not taking the town as quickly as predicted, but far from defeated in its latest push toward the border town".Why is he saying that when the actual people on the ground in Kobani.....the YPG commander say in his official communication ... they should have it liberated soon... and others  are showing pictures and videos all over youtube?? Why would the YPG commander say in his official communication these things... if they were in fact in danger and still needed massive support, and still in trouble and their civilians still trapped etc etc...

Of course there still needs to be attention on Kobani and its not officially over...And they still need to keep up air strikes to the finish... absolutely...  But its as if there is still some playbook the US leaders are reading from... and Kobani forgot to "fall" according to their plan... and they are still waiting for it.... Its just all really weird that the General keeps saying this... 

In any event, once again, US news reports have it all bass ackward and totally disconnected with what is really happening as reported by the people there in their own news reports... .... ....

Gen. Allen: ISIS Making Substantial Gains in Iraq Insists Kobani Airstrikes 'For Humanitarian Purposes'
by Jason Ditz, October 16, 2014

Former Afghan War commander and President Obama’s point-man on the new ISIS War, retired General John Allen continued to offer assessments on the ongoing conflict, insisting today that it was too soon to say whether or not the US is winning the war.

iraq1.jpgThat said, Allen conceded that ISIS is continuing to make “substantial gains” on the ground in Iraq, and still has “tactical momentum” in several areas around western Iraq.

Most of ISIS territorial gains in Iraq in recent days have centered around the Anbar Province, where they are quickly mopping up the last of the Iraqi government’s territory and moving on the second largest airbase in the country. The push to Anbar’s edge leaves them only a stone’s throw from Baghdad itself.

Allen went on to address the US airstrikes around Kobani, saying they were done for “humanitarian purposes” and that the US continues to maintain that the town itself has no strategic value for the US.

The losses in Iraq are clearly mounting, and at best Kobani itself is a stalemate, with ISIS not taking the town as quickly as predicted, but far from defeated in its latest push toward the border town.

Even the BBC got it more accurate....maybe the US General might want to tune in...

The Islamic State (IS) militant group has been driven out of most of the northern Syrian town of Kobane, a Kurdish commander has told the BBC.

Baharin Kandal said IS fighters had retreated from all areas, except for two pockets of resistance in the east.

US-led air strikes have helped push back the militants, with another 14 conducted over the past 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the new UN human rights commissioner has called IS a "potentially genocidal" movement.

Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein described the group as the antithesis of human rights.

'Tenuous'

Speaking by phone, Kurdish commander Baharin Kandal told the BBC's Kasra Naji that she hoped the city would be "liberated soon".

Ms Kandal said her militia group had been receiving arms, supplies and fighters but she refused to say how, reports our correspondent, who is on the Turkish border near Kobane.

Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 4

From the International Business Journal:

Turkey Trained ISIS Militants, Provided Satellite Data on Kobane's Kurdish Fighters - Report

Turkey has reportedly been accused of not only providing strategic intel on Kurdish fighters to the Islamic State but also of being involved in training jihadi militants.

explosion-kobane-after-isis-suicide-bomb
An explosion in Kobane, after an ISIS suicide bomber blew up a truck near a YPG hideout. Reuters

A WND report, citing sources from Jordanian intelligence, claimed that several ISIS members have been trained by NATO member Turkey for secret operations.

According to the report, a senior security officer stated that 16 ISIS members were arrested recently, while trying to sneak into Jordan, via the Syria border. During the course of interrogation, the militants revealed that they were sent for conducting bomb blasts in the country. The arrested also told Jordanian authorities that several ISIS militants received their training in Turkey.

The revelations come at a time when Turkey has been widely blamed for bombing the camps of Kurdish fighters and supporters in Kobane, with warplanes and artillery.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Turkey bombed camps of the Kurdistan Workers' Party on Monday, marking the military's first significant offensive against the PKK since peace talks began two years ago.

The move was bound to help the ISIS, which has been fighting hard to gain control of the town from Kurdish fighters for around a month.

Turkey has also been blamed for providing logistics, intelligence and satellite imagery to the ISIS fighters, to aid them in their fight against the Kurds.

Another report, citing an Egyptian official, noted that Turkey provided key intelligence data to the ISIS, exposing the positions of Kurdish fighters, and the locations of their weapons and ammunitions.

• Upvote 2

The last update I got late yesterday was that ISIS was holding about 20% of Kobani and was being pushed hard. Coordinated air strikes have taken out most of the ISIS heavy weapon systems and any identified command and control points.   Say what you will, but in my opinion, the Kurds and their Peshmerga are currently the most effective infantry force in the area.  I also firmly believe that Turkey has NEVER really been a true NATO ally. 

The one that gets to me is Turkish officials saying that there are no civilians left in Kobani, but Anwar Muslim, the head of the local government, is saying that more than a thousand are still trapped in the city center, afraid to leave because of snipers and mortar attacks. So - based on what you've read so far - who do you think is giving a more correct version?

• Upvote 5

I am right there with you TD!! Hands down... in the meantime, maybe someone can get a memo to the US General who keeps saying Kobane might fall.... ISIS has left the building according to most recent reports.... HOWEVER please look at doing air strikes on the ISIS supply line in Syria as they may be planning a further assault... ...

Kurdish official: ISIS and their flag gone from Kobane By RUDAW 4 hours ago
73468Image1.jpg
“YPG fighters are now searching the homes for bombs and explosives that the Islamist militants might have left behind,” Photo: AFP
KOBANE—Islamist militants have been pushed out of Kobane and fighters of the Peoples Protection Units (YPG) are now in control of the town, a Kurdish official in Kobane told Rudaw.

“There is no ISIS in Kobane now,” said Omar Alush, co-chair of the TEV-DEM movement in Kobane.

Alush said that following the recent air strikes on positions of the Islamic State (IS) militants in Kobane, the YPG managed to drive the rest of the jihadis out of town and that they are now in control.

“YPG fighters are now searching the homes for bombs and explosives that the Islamist militants might have left behind,” said Alush.

IS militants laid siege to the Kurdish town of Kobane on the Turkish-Syrian border last month, pounding the town with heavy artillery and tanks.

With support from US air strikes, the YPG held the town and eventually managed to turn the tide against the IS.

“Kobane is quiet now and the flag of ISIS is gone,” Alush maintained.

Alush said that the jihadis still hold Kani Arab and Gire Mishtanur, close to Kobane.

“Fighting is still going on between the ISIS and YPG on the eastern outskirts of the town,” he said.

Alush said that the air strikes were effective in pushing back the militants, however, he said, the coalition forces should cut off the ISIS supply route from other parts of Syria “because we have information that the group is preparing for another assault on Kobane.

Appears we'll have continued opportunities to eliminate ISIS if we stay focused upon where they are... and then go after them accordingly..... unless of course there is some kind of whacko agenda to "stay in the ME for the next 30 years in order to deal with this" as stated by way way too many US officials.....

BTW as a technical point...
YPG and Kobane etc use the peace sign as their sign....
ISIS uses the extended index finger as their sign.... .
Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 5

Dear Holy Father, it's my sincerest and deepest prayer that you put an end to this

ISIS organization. I pray that you bless those who fight against it with victory.

And though I fear who is behind ISIS I pray that you will utterly destroy the nation

from whence this evil came. Please FATHER comfort those who are suffering from

ISIS hands. In Jesus name, Amen.

PRAY FOR REVIVAL EVERYDAY

another day closer

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Raysur....Your keepin us on the cutting edge of this and I think I may get ''Audit'' this year....Use my usual non-diplomatic style on the phone expressing my thoughts and opinions...... :salute:.........''Tankdude'',I can't agree with you more....''Crosshaired Center-Massed''.....  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

:twothumbs: Skeet!!

From Central Command.. 16 Oct... (pssst they forgot per Gen Allen, it was for humanitarian needs and not to directly fight ISIS... that or they no longer give a rip what Turkey thinks about it all)...

TAMPA, Fla., Oct. 16, 2014 - U.S. military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria Wednesday and today, using bomber and fighter aircraft to conduct 14 airstrikes.

All 14 airstrikes took place near Kobani. Initial reports indicate the strikes successfully struck 19 ISIL buildings, two ISIL command posts, three ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL sniper positions, one ISIL staging location, and one ISIL heavy machine gun.

To conduct these strikes, the U.S. employed U.S. bomber and fighter aircraft deployed to the U.S. Central Command area of operations. All aircraft departed the strike areas safely.

These airstrikes are designed to interdict ISIL reinforcements and resupply and prevent ISIL from massing combat power on the Kurdish held portions of Kobani. Indications are that airstrikes have continued to slow ISIL advances, but that the security situation on the ground in Kobani remains tenuous. U.S. Central Command continues to closely monitor the situation.

The U.S. strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the terrorist group ISIL and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction and degradation of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to lead, control, project power and conduct operations.

PGY holds Kobane, though the fighting in that area remains intense.....

In other news... despite photographic and video evidence that Turkey is just as guilty in contributing to the growth and well-being of ISIS.... The UST (treasury) imposed sanctions against Assad yesterday:

And here is the most recent Map of ISIS Vs Syria activities

Meanwhile, Turkey a NATO partner, continues its stance in not fighting ISIS and fighting Kurds wanting to go help Kobane instead.... 

Syrian defenders of the mainly Kurdish border town of Kobani say an increase in coalition airstrikes — and better coordination with the air supporthave helped them hold off the more heavily armed fighters from the so-called Islamic State.

Each day, cars and vans carrying Kobani residents, Turkish Kurds and journalists climb over the rock-strewn paths on the edge of plowed fields, avoiding Turkish military roadblocks to reach the hills overlooking the Syrian border and the town of Kobani.

With only a few units from the Free Syrian Army joining Kobani's Kurdish defenders on the ground, Syrian Kurds say Turkey should open a corridor and let fighters and weapons in. Instead, they say, Turkish authorities are detaining young Kurdish men on suspicion of terrorism.

Mustafa Ali has a relative among the fighters still in Kobani. The 38-year-old Ali came to Turkey about a week ago, after being stuck for three days at the border while ISIS shells landed not far away. He doesn't think Turkey will overcome its suspicion of all Kurds and intervene to save Kobani — unless it gets a push from outside.

"If the international community forces Turkey to support Kobani, it will," Ali says. "But without pressure from the Americans and the Europeans they won't, because Turkey thinks both sides in this fight are terrorists."

ap752628437521-1-_wide-8bec1bfcd8be53a4f

Kurds sit in formation to form the initials of the People's Protection Unit, or YPG, the main Kurdish militia in Syria, on a hilltop overlooking Kobani just over the border, in support of Syrian Kurds fighting ISIS, on Wednesday. Turkey believes the People's Protection Unit have ties to a Kurdish group in Turkey that is the Turkish government considers a terrorist organization.

Lefteris Pitarakis/AP

Turkish Suspicion

Adding to the pain of watching their town be destroyed a little more each day is the clear knowledge that those fleeing Kobani aren't welcome in Turkey. Ali says that Kurdish men, especially younger ones, routinely are stopped at the border, and that many then are taken by Turkish authorities to detention centers, where they're not charged with anything but are investigated on suspicion of terrorism.

"I know some of the guys who have been detained. They are political guys from Kobani, members of various Kurdish political parties, and the Turks caught them and held them," Ali says. "I was told there were as many as 200 of them, but some chose to go back to Syria."

In one of the newest refugee camps for Kobani residents to spring up, in the border town of Suruc, Turkish hosts are digging trenches between the neat rows of family-sized gray tents to lay electric cables. Kobani families appreciate the shelter they've been given, but 34-year-old Mohammed Sheikh al-Muslim says the way the Turks are treating the detained Kurdish men is unjust.

syria-kurds1_sq-68d1c554a75198609d13a6b0

turkey_border_sq-76babd4873c61e1146a8ed4

He calls one of them, Walid Yasser, 25, who says he was detained 11 days ago.

"They gave us three choices — Jazeera, Qameshli or Afrin," he says, meaning they could pick one of three Kurdish enclaves in northern Syria to which they would be returned.

Yasser says it's because the Turks think they're with the People's Protection Units, the Syrian Kurds linked to Turkey's own Kurdish militants, known as the PKK. He says he has nothing to do with any of that, but the Turks don't believe him.

28322421_h32395711_sq-09773400eead67b614
On the hill overlooking the border, Kurdish men who fled Kobani have arranged themselves in columns and chant support for the defenders of their town.

They say they're ready to fight ISIS with stones, if necessary, but while the display may look impressive on television, these men know that they won't be crossing any borders tonight — and that they'll have to come back again the next day to watch their homes take another pounding.

• Upvote 2

Interesting Synopsis, essentially cuing on some of the same aspects as discussed in here.... IF you can only read one thing.... this would be it:

8320ad7218821615d8a87d53f23fae11.jpeg?w= By Gary Brecher
On October 16, 2014

kobane-war-nerd.jpg?w=940&h=705
KUWAIT CITY — A strange thing happened in Kobane, the Kurdish border town besieged by Islamic State: It didn’t fall.

In fact, today the BBC reported that Islamic State, the supposedly invincible jihadis who have been besieging Kobane, is retreating from the city.

Nobody expected that. Well, nobody except me. I’ve been saying for a long time that IS(IS) was the most overhyped military force on the planet, and that IS has been attacking Kobane for fifteen months—fifteen damn months—without success, which might just sort of suggest it’s not the juggernaut it’s been made out to be, and that IS’s other supposedly scary advance toward Baghdad is no more than a sad attempt to recover some of the Sunni suburbs of the capital the Sunni controlled completely less than a decade ago.

But I learned a long time ago you don’t get rich being right in this business, so I wasn’t surprised to be all alone yelling “Paper Tiger!” at IS while all the Lexus-driving pundits went into hysterical Victorian-girl fits on TV. It comes with the territory, like the roaches in our Kuwaiti kitchen.

Of course, it was only the suckers in the punditry who were actually surprised to find out how weak IS really is. The guys in the Pentagon must have known better—at least I friggin’ hope so—but they were pushing the “Kobane delenda est” line as hard as any dumb-ass pundit—not because they really bought into the IS juggernaut meme but because they *wanted* Kobane to fall, and the sooner the better.

That may seem surprising at first. After all, the enemy this Kurdish militia was facing, IS(IS), has been selling captured women and girls into sex slavery—and you don’t have to take my word for it. These freaks actually published an article in their house magazine, Dabiq, boasting about the way they enslaved, sold, and raped all the women and girls they captured in Sinjar:

With an enemy like that, you’d expect the freedom-luvin’ rulers of the U.S. to be fairly enthusiastic about helping the Kurds defend Kobane. But they’ve never been into it, inventing one excuse after another for leaving the Kurdish YPG militia to face these friggin’ monsters all by themselves. The Pentagon’s Press Secretary John Kirby even said it was the Kurds’ own fault:

“The Yazidi women and children were then divided according to the sharia amongst the fighters of the Islamic State . . . after one-fifth of the slaves were transferred to the Islamic State authority to be divided as khums,” or required payment of spoils of war to a caliph, the article says.

It continues, “The enslaved Yazidi families are then sold by the Islamic State soldiers.”

That’s utter crap, of course. You’d be hard put to find better light infantry than the YPG anywhere in the world. But that was the scenario the Pentagon had worked out: Kobane would fall, Islamic State would move in, tsk-tsk, what a tragedy, and the sooner that tragedy happened, the better for everyone.

“We don’t have a willing, capable, effective partner on the ground inside Syria. It’s just a fact. I can’t change that.”

A non-stop grinner, Admiral Kirby kept “warning,” which is to say, “hoping and praying,” that Kobane was going to fall one of these days. Kirby was worse than an end-times preacher, just as eager for the disaster he was supposed to be preventing. Here’s Kirby, preaching Armageddon in a briefing on October 9:

It’s unusual for a Pentagon flack to speak that plainly. They usually prefer the language of what “could” or “may” happen. But there was Kirby, a week ago, saying bluntly that Kobane, like a sinner rejected by Calvin’s God, was not going to be saved. And, if that wasn’t enough, he adds a little advice for the press: “…[W]e all should be steeling ourselves for that eventuality.”

(CNN) — U.S. airstrikes “are not going to save” the key Syrian city of Kobani from being overtaken by ISIS, said Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby.

“I think we all should be steeling ourselves for that eventuality,” he told reporters in a daily briefing Wednesday.

Amen, Admiral! The end was nigh!

You’d think a pundit or two would have asked, “Why? Why must Kobane’s end be nigh?” Because there’s this little thing called “air-dropping supplies.” The USAF is pretty good at that—managed to keep the whole city of Berlin fed and fueled more than a half-century ago. All those transports, all that practice air-dropping expensive materiel to every worthless militia in the world…and we couldn’t drop a few TOWs, or just RPG rounds, to the defenders? Kobane’s defenders didn’t even have enough water, but you didn’t hear anything about the US water-bombing them.

Because, very simply, the US was waiting eagerly for the town to fall. There were all sorts of reasons for this, and none make any real sense. The two biggest are: (a) The hick Islamists running Turkey tilt toward IS and hate Kurds, all Kurds, with the same insane virulence that Turks hate all their neighbors, and especially any minority that dares to identify itself as non-Turkish; ( B) The YPG militia defending Kobane is linked to the PKK movement, which is nominally “Socialist,” and American apparatchiks, no matter who’s officially in charge, have never un-learned the anti-Commie nonsense they learned at Georgetown; and © The “brave, doomed defenders of Kobane” were worth much more dead than alive, much more in defeat than in victory. If they lost, they’d be beheaded by the vicious loons in IS, and those severed-head videos would be great US agitprop, a great little way to put more pressure on Turkey over the theatre the US really cares about—Iraq.

So the message from DC was clear: “Die, Kurds! Die, and do it on-camera and soon!”

And in case anyone missed the point, John Kerry, who’s Secretary of State, or at least plays one on TV, made one of his stirring speeches—remember Kerry’s bold orations from 2004, when he managed to look like a wimp compared to a guy who spent the Vietnam war in Alabama? Kerry could convince a wolverine to give up and sob in despair, rather than fight. And he did his best to work his defeatist magic on Kobane, by making it very clear the U.S. wanted no part of the fight:

“Kobane does not define the strategy for the coalition in respect to Daesh [iSIL in Arabic]. Kobane is one community and it is a tragedy what is happening there. And we do not diminish that,” Kerry said.

If you can stay awake through Kerry’s Eeyore monotone, you get the idea: He’s saying, “Die, Kobane! Die! Fall, already!” As a general rule, when someone tells you, “It’s a tragedy, and we do not diminish that,” you should make your peace with God, because they’ve decided you’re expendable.

So the end was nigh for Kobane, according to the whole DC elite. Well, It’s now October 16, 2014, and Kobane has disappointed the Admiral just like the universe disappoints all the Armageddon preachers who’ve ever lived, doing the one thing they really won’t stand for: Not falling.

So the question has changed from “When will Kobane fall?” to “Why didn’t Kobane fall?”

There are three major reasons for the non-fall of Kobane. I’ll try to explain them quickly here.

1. Because Islamic State is a lousy, overrated fighting force.

Did I mention that I tole ya so? Yeah, well, I’m saying it again: I tole ya so. Islamic State is good at one thing: Hype. And I don’t say that entirely dismissively. Hype is a very important part of combat, whether it’s a schoolyard fight or a full-on war. Many battles—you might argue, most battles—are won on hype. But hype only works on weak opponents. So, when IS started its hick-krieg (thanks to Anibale for that term) over the plains of Iraq last June, the so-called Iraqi Army fled without firing a shot. That “army” was a corrupt ARVN-model mess of scared Shia boys, commanded by venal creeps, and they never even tried standing up to IS.

The Kurds are a whole different matter. They’ve never been scared of any Arab force. There’s not a lot of love lost between Kurds and Arabs—I knew a guy in Suli whose dad was a professor of Arabic, taught it to him from birth, but he refused to speak a word of it, in memory of the Anfal.

Kurdish irregulars held Saddam’s Sunni army back for years; the notion that they should fear a much lesser Sunni militia would be laughable to them.

So, when surrounded by this new, scary, Sunni militia called Islamic State, the Kurdish YPG militia in Kobane simply fought back, as a matter of course, with no fuss or panic—not even when the creeps in IS sawed off the heads of the women of the YPJ and photographed them like trophies, including this shot of a woman who looks worryingly like my best World Lit student in Sulimaniya. [scroll down to bottom photo. Warning: Very Graphic.]

None of that scared the Kurds. And they soon revealed how badly IS fought against people who didn’t scare. Here’s a memorable—not to say hilarious—clip showing how badly IS fought in Kobane, wasting the expensive armor they took from the Iraqi Army:

An IS tank advances with no infantry support down a rubble-filled street in Kobane, not even using its machine guns to disperse the YPG men who stroll out into the street once it’s passed, not even bothering to hide. For those who’ve never heard of shoulder-fired anti-tank weapons, this is about as smart as rolling around the floor of a butcher shop, then jumping into the tiger enclosure at the zoo to preach the gospel to the big cats. Tanks without infantry support have been death-traps for generations, and the very worst place to send them is a narrow, rubble-filled street. Everybody knows that.

The Kurdish men and boys shadowing the tank know it. They’re all but laughing at this ridiculous contraption, waiting eagerly for what they know is going to happen.

The tank stops at an intersection, elevates its main gun, and fires down the street at an unseen target. The YPG men gesture expectantly, starting to flinch for the first time—not at this useless hulk of a tank but because their friends down that street are fitting the RPG round into the launcher, and they know there’s going to be a big dose of what the DoD calls “kinetic” where that tank is standing.

The tank fires again, and less than a second later, it explodes as that RPG round sends superheated molten metal spraying through it as droplets of the MBT armor now zip into the crew compartment at the speed of detonating TNT, as the blast knocks the turret half-off and turns anyone inside to instant bulgoki. Somebody’s little jihadi won’t be comin’ home to Hamburg or Tunis or Croydon, and it couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of filthy woman-selling, child-raping swine.

IS has supposedly lost at least 300 men in Kobane. And I do mean “men”; IS, unlike the YPG/J, does not allow women in combat. In fact, misogyny is about the biggest plank in their platform, and a huge part of this weird 21st century iteration of “jihad.” I suspect the total is actually much higher, because IS, quite simply, are idiots. They did everything wrong, from advancing across the entire front—west, south, and east, and the only reason they didn’t come at Kobane from the north too is that the Turks own that border and didn’t want their secret friends in IS to be that overt about the alliance. Then they kept trying to gain land even when the US got serious about air strikes. Which brings us to reason number two:

2. The U.S. finally got so embarrassed by the Kurds’ heroic defense that it had to get serious.

The US and its joke of a “coalition” began bombing Syrian targets on September 22, 2014. But none of the first wave of strikes came near Kobane. The strikes hit Raqqah, Deir-az-Zour, Hassakah, and Aleppo—but not Kobane. And for two weeks, as IS threw all its Iraqi reinforcements and armor at the town, the US made only token strikes around Kobane. It was very odd, reading the stories at the time, because if there’s one thing the US does well, it’s air strikes on open desert terrain. I’m not one of those naïve believers in air support as the answer to all military problems, but FFS, this wasn’t the NVA in the Central Highlands, this was IS in Syria. They train on country that looks like this and facing a ground force that was too stupid to retreat under pressure, the USAF should have been able to wipe out the IS forces attacking Kobane.

But the kind of strikes they were using didn’t make any sense, just like their refusal to use air-drops for resupply didn’t make sense. Instead of A-10s and Predator drones orbiting the battle—the obvious way to keep air power on-station as needed—the USAF was sending fighters in for the classic, and classically ineffective, run-and-gun routine.

The Kurds were puzzled. They accepted that they wouldn’t be resupplied; Kurds have learned the hard way not to expect the US to back them up when it matters. But they did assume—naively enough—that the air strikes were supposed to be stopping IS. And they weren’t.

If you consider the possibility that the US wasn’t trying to stop IS, at least not until domestic pressure built up on Obama after the first week of October 2014, then this makes a cold sort of imperial sense. The goal wasn’t to stop IS from taking Kobane. In fact, IS was supposed to take it; that would make the Turks happy, and the resulting horror pictures of the massacre that would ensue would shut up any domestic opposition to bombing the Hell out of Iraq, the theater the US really worries about. The strikes were meant as a show of fake good will, so to speak—kinetic good will that would send a lot of desert flying into the air without dislodging IS, and bleed IS a little in the process.

That changed after October 7. For whatever reason, the strikes got serious, as you’ll see if you look at the graph at the end of this BBC story.

In the ten days since then, air support seems to have been effective. So, you might reasonably ask, what happened on October 7? Well, that happens to be the day that Leon Panetta, Obama’s own ex-Secretary of Defense and CIA head, went public calling the President a wimp who needed to put the proverbial boots on the literal ground in Syria.

Next day, suddenly USAF air strikes started lighting up the idiots marking their positions around Kobane with that familiar black IS flag. Probably not pure coincidence. DC people have thick hides when dealing with jibes from pundits or opposition senators, but when your own SecDef/CIA boss calls you out for ducking the enemy, you have to tell the USAF to start actually hitting people. Which it did, and because IS is too stupid to retreat quickly as the NVA would have done in this situation, they’ve been getting wonderfully zapped for more than a week.

Which was apparently enough even for these “fuckin’ amateurs,” to use Walter Sobchak’s crude but accurate characterization. They’re leaving the trenches around Kobane, which will be hard to spin as a victory even for IS, which is good at online agitprop (and nothing else).

So, when you stand back and squint at this whole amazing story, you’re left with a third, final, biggest reason Kobane didn’t fall:

3. Because the YPG/J wouldn’t let it.

If you only read one story about what happened in Kobane, read this battle-journal kept by Heysam Mislim, a Kurdish journalist who decided to stay in the town through the siege.

What he describes is just plain heroic, and it tallies with what I saw of the phlegmatic, stoic Kurdish people in Suli. They don’t make much of a fuss about things, which is unusual in this part of the world, which could be called “The Yelling Crescent.” They don’t yell, the Kurds–but they don’t panic, either. And they held on, expecting very little from their ostensible allies—and they weren’t disappointed in that expectation, either—and waiting until the ammunition ran out, or IS brought in another batch of Chechens, Tunisians, or Iraqis too numerous to be stopped. They knew very well what would become of them when that happened. But as often happens when a force like IS cultivates a rep for insane brutality, that meant that negotiation and surrender was impossible anyway. No one was gonna be spared. There was no choice. They just fought on.

And for all sorts of tangential reasons, from DC politics to jihadist incompetence, they won. It’s the kind of story that keeps me writing war stories. War is horrible, boring and mean and stupid; it’s that woman’s head, carried by an IS goblin grinning like an idiot. But sometimes—very rarely, actually—people who’ve been pushed into war against their will come out of it as something more than the rest of us. Kobane was just another dusty town when Syria blew up a few years ago. No one in Kobane was strutting around trying to be a hero, which is more than you can say about the Ali-Jihadis in IS. All the Kurds of Kobane were trying to do was keep their town alive. And, to everyone’s surprise—and most of the big players’ annoyance—they succeeded. It’s the rarest thing in the world, a truly heroic story. But that’s what this is, and you can’t do much but be awed by it.

Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 3

After reading and listening to all that has been said. .  . I am just ready for all the hype, twisting, insertions, hiding, and intrigue of who is helping who, who put all this together, who is funding who and why, who is right and who is wrong, the beheadings, the waring and body counting. I just want to vomit it all up and get it out of my system.  

I'm tired of governments and media and "fundations" trying to influence other governments to do what they want done.  

I don't trust any of them.  

I guess I'm finally get enough of all this.

I pray that one day all this will stop, and there will be peace, but it will not happen.  The Lord God, the Messiah, will return one day and for the saints all this will be over.  We will have everlasting peace in our own country, heaven.  THAT is the ONLY HOPE for me, for the saints, and for all mankind.  But many will reject Christ or will never hear of Him, because they are caught up in the intrigue of politics, economics, and the grabbing of the things of this world.  You can have them!  It is all going to be destroyed in a moment.  It will all be GONE.  Nothing will be left but what remain in the spiritual realm of heaven.  

Rayzur, I appreciate what you are doing and I think that this is information that all need to read.  I just got to ranting with that last paragraph.  I do not want to "highjacking" your thread.  And please, those of you who agree or disagree, do not answer this post. 

I'm going to spend more time in studying the Bible and painting.  

• Upvote 2

No Nelg... I'm glad you said something.... Not that I'm soliciting... but when I don't see pluses (or negs ugh) and there is no commentary, I start wondering if no one is interested... and hope I'm not doing this as something that's intrusive on the board... It belongs to everyone and I want to make sure I'm not being piggish... ewww.

At the same, while doing this, it really hit me just how different is the news we get in the US... And for the limited amount we do get... its days late... We here on DV have been ahead of all of what I hear on US News by a day...(including the article I'm about to post which is like a day or two behind what we already knew here...

The other thing that occurred to me is how many of us say that MSM is bunk, or slanted... or controlled... but I don't recall ever seeing actual discussions that highlight that very claim by many, so concretely evident.... The contrast is almost stunning... actual real news of events we don't even hear about... or do hear in passing... and its some news blurb that's way off base.

If I were to listen only to say the White House briefings I would believe that Kobane is not at all important... that the coalition is off somewhere else fighting real ISIS and eliminating real ISIS troops and threats.. and that Kobane will fall into ISIS hands any day..... And I might not understand why our NATO partner Turkey didn't get voted into the UNSC, and would probably think that Turkey training Syrian coalition forces made sense in terms of proximity.... .

When in fact, 9000 ISIS troops marched across open desert, ISIS is dedicating a massive number of troops to Kobane in huge concentrations... the YPG has huge body counts with photographed evidence... that Turkey is allowing ISIS in and out of its borders while arresting or actually bombing Kurds wanting to join family in Kobane.... that the US will arm the Syrian rebles fighting with YPG, but not YPG, when YPG is the only boots on the ground actually eliminating ISIS and on and on.... Had it not been for international protests of huge proportion.... ongoing and insistent... the US might not have ever joined the Battle for Kobani... and thousands of ISIS would have lived... Had that awareness everywhere but in the US not been so insistent, the US would not have likely entered into talks with the only boots on the ground (YPG)  that are eliminating ISIS.... For heaven's sake... the Iraqi Army dropped arms and fled allowing ISIS to take 3 major cities in one day... And in the YPG is fighting and killing ISIS without limited arms far inferior to the US arms ISIS brought to the battle... without water, without food without first aid... for 33 days!!!.... I don;t yet understand why the US does not do a genuine humanitarian drop of at least water and food to the Kobane fighters... And there's been no drop of better arms to fight, however the YPG is slowly taking over ISIS fire power to at least stay in the game... We would not really know any of that if we listened to our news.... That is frightening.... disgusting and confirming any suspicion that we don't hear what's really going on.... (and btw, YPG is the term I am using to refer to the Kurds defending Kobane.... Technically the YPG is the guys army and YPJ is the women's division of the Kurdish troops fighting there)...

So thanks Nelg for the input..I appreciate it... 

And once again as we already know.... its now being announced in US news that the US is in formal talks with the YPG boots on the ground.... 

The United States government has for the first time officially acknowledged coordinating with the YPG in Kobane.

In Yesterday's (17 October) daily press briefing at the U.S. Department of State, a question was posed to Deputy Spokesperson Mari Harf on whether YPG claims of coordination between them and the coalition was true. Marie Harf's reply was "We try and get intelligence from a wide range of people. There is some intelligence sharing going on. Obviously this is not something that you can replicate everywhere off course, but in this case that [information] is correct".

Separately, U.S. Central Command General Lloyd J. Austin also gave a briefing yesterday on the operations against ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Regarding Kobane General Austin had this to say:

"ISIS has made a decision to make Kobane their main effort. (Look at the contrast with Kerry's original statements and all that's been discussed in here) They are continuing to pour manpower into that effort. My aim is to destroy ISIS, and if they continue to present us with targets, as they have done in the Kobane area, then we will service those targets which we have been doing very effectively as of late. As long as they pour legions of forces into that area, we'll stay focused on taking them out."

General Austin also had words of praise for the YPG and YPJ forces defending Kobane, saying "We are seeing the Kurds fight to regain territories that were lost previously, some very determined fighters out there, and I think we've been able to help that along with precision airstrikes in the last couple of days."

• Upvote 4

Latest Updates Across the Region:

Latest updates:

11:14 P.M. Car bombs rock Baghdad, at least 24 killed

A string of car bombs killed at least 24 people across Baghdad on Friday night, medical and police officials said, amid a surge of violence in the capital. No one immediately said they were responsible for the blasts, but other attacks in recent weeks have been claimed by Sunni Muslim militant group Islamic State, which is battling the Shi'ite Muslim-led government and has seized large parts of neighboring Syria.

A parked car blew up near a coffee shop in the Shi'ite area of Baladiyat, killing nine people and wounding 28, the officials said. Another blast killed nine and wounded 28 in the Sunni neighborhood of Slaikh, while a third car bomb blew up by a row of liquor stores in the affluent Karrada neighborhood, killing six and wounding 14 others, the officials added.

The attack came the day after bombs killed 36 in Baghdad and areas bordering the capital.” (Reuters)

10:35 P.M. Yemeni Shi'ite rebels overrun Al-Qaida stronghold

Yemen's Shi'ite rebels on Friday overran an Al-Qaida stronghold after days of battling the militants for the city in the country's central heartland, a Yemeni official and a tribal leader said.

The capture of the city of Radda, in the in the province of Bayda, came with the help of a Yemeni army commander, the two said.

The Shi'ite rebels known as Houthis have been fighting both Al-Qaida militants and Sunni tribes over the past few days. The rebels, who in September gained control of the capital, Sanaa, earlier this week overran a key Yemeni port city on the Red Sea.

The Houthis entered Radda on Friday, after the commander of Yemeni army's Battalion 193 gave up his troops positions, a security official and a tribal leader from the city said.

The action, mirrored similar instances in the past when units in Yemen's army suspected of links with former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, a Houthi ally, facilitated stunning rebel advances from their home base in northern Saada province.

The army commander who helped the Houthis in Radda is said to be a loyalist of the ousted Saleh, who was deposed after the country's 2011 uprising. Saleh and his party have joined ranks with the Houthis against a common enemy — the Islamist Islah party and its allied tribe of Al-Ahmar, traditional power brokers in Yemen. (AP)

9:05 P.M. U.S. launches six air strikes near Kobani

U.S. fighter aircraft launched six air strikes on Islamic State positions near Kobani, Syria, and its allies hit militant targets in Iraq, the U.S. military said on Friday.

U.S. forces damaged Islamic State fighting positions, vehicles and buildings near Kobani and a strike hit oil collection equipment near Shadadi in a bid to disrupt the militants' ability to operate oil tankers, Central Command said in a statement.

The statement did not say which nations were involved in the strikes in Iraq near Baiji. (Reuters) 

6:30 P.M. Shi'ite rebels, Islamists clash in central Yemen

Yemeni security officials say fierce clashes have erupted between Shiite rebels in control of the capital and tribesmen allied with the country's Islamist Islah party, leaving eight dead.

The officials say the Friday battles in Ibb province, nearly 200 kilometers (125 miles) from Sanaa, came as Shiite rebels known as Houthis seek to gain more territory outside the capital, which they overran last month. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.

The governor of Ibb, Yahia al-Iryani, urged the fighters to leave the province. In the adjacent province of Taiz, Major General Mahmoud al-Subehi, the military commander of the region, said he has bolstered its defenses and will defend it from the Houthis. (AP)

3:06 P.M. Sunni tribesmen and Houthi fighters clash in Yemen, eight dead

At least eight people were killed in heavy fighting between Sunni Muslim tribesmen and Shi'ite Houthi rebels in central Yemen on Friday, as the battle crept closer to an al-Qaida stronghold, increasing fears of outright sectarian warfare.

The Houthi rebels established themselves as Yemen's new powerbrokers last month, capturing Sanaa on Sept. 21 to little resistance from residents or from the weak administration of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Their ascendance has angered al-Qaida, which views Shi'ites as heretics and Houthis as pawns of Iran. Last week, the Yemen-based alQaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed a suicide bombing on a Houthi gathering that killed at least 47 people.

In Friday's fighting, at least six Houthi fighters and two tribesmen were killed on the outskirts and inside the city of Ibb, 150 km (90 miles) south of Sanaa, witnesses said.

"We are hearing the sound of machineguns and mortars everywhere," a resident told Reuters by telephone. (Reuters)

1:53 P.M. Kurds sharing intel with U.S. for Syria strikes

A Kurdish official says fighters are sharing information with the U.S.-led coalition to coordinate strikes against Islamic State militants in the Syrian border town of Kobani.

Nawaf Khalil, spokesman of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party, said Friday that coordination began last week as IS fighters closed in on the town that lies near the Turkish border.

Kurdish fighters in Kobani mostly belong to the party's military wing.

The battlefield coordination could further complicate relations between Washington and Ankara, which views the Syrian Kurdish party with suspicion. Turkey believes the party is an extension of the Kurdish PKK, which waged a long and bloody insurgency in Turkey and is designated a terrorist group by the U.S. and NATO. (AP)

1:10 P.M. UN. Syria envoy to visit Russia next week

UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura will visit Russia next week, the Moscow-based UN information center said on Friday.

Russia, which has stood by Syrian President Bashar Assad during the three-year-old conflict, has objected to a U.S.-backed bombing campaign against Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria, saying they should have been agreed with Assad.

De Mistura is expected to meet Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Oct. 21, RIA news agency quoted Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov as saying. (Reuters)

12:00 P.M. Iraq imposes curfew in Ramadi, fearing militants

Iraqi officials in the western Anbar province say a curfew has been imposed in the provincial capital Ramadi over fears that the Islamic State group might try to advance on the city.

Sabah Karhout, the chairman of the Anbar provincial council, says the curfew began at midnight Friday as part of an effort to limit movement in and out of the city.

The Islamic State group has been making gains around Ramadi in recent weeks against the embattled Iraqi military, despite ongoing U.S.-led coalition airstrikes on the militants.

Two Iraqi military officials, speaking anonymously because they are not authorized to brief the media, say major operations are underway in Salahuddin province to retake key areas from the Sunni militants around Tikrit and the Beiji oil refinery. (AP)

00:20 A.M. Iran, Russia hold joint naval exercise

Iran's state television says two Russian warships have left a northern Iranian port after the two countries held a joint, three-day naval exercise in the Caspian Sea.

Thursday's report on the TV's website quoted Iranian Adm. Afshin Rezaei Haddad, who is Iran's navy commander in the Caspian Sea, as saying that the Russian vessels departed from the northern Iranian port of Anzali on Wednesday. No further details were given.

It was the first visit in decades by a Russian fleet to an Iranian port in the Caspian Sea. In recent years Iran's navy has increased its bilateral relations with various countries, including China and Pakistan.

Last year, a Russian naval group docked in the southern Iranian port of Bandar Abbas on the way home from a Pacific Ocean voyage. (AP)

• Upvote 5

Rayzur :)

Thank you for all You do to bring the news from Middle East. I agree we are not hearing what's happening there from our media truthfully. I'm glad kobani is almost freed up. Hats off to kobani leader, she is a tough cookie :) may God bless and keep her and troops safe. I pray God sends Hus Angels to watch over them and go before and around them to protect them like an invisible shields.

• Upvote 1

Thank You So Much Rayzur... Can't Tell You How Grateful I Am For All Your Hard Work Here And For Bringing In Such Important, Reliable And Relevant Information. This Battle In Kobani Is A Turning Point... Not Only In Turning Back ISIS... But Also For Bringing Out So Much Truth About The Sinister Agenda's Of Some In This So Called "Coalition". I Don't Think We Would Have Had A Clue About Turkey's True Role In This If Kobani Had Fallen As They Had Planned For It To. God Bless The Fighters Of Kobani And All Others That Are Battling For Their Survival And Their Homelands Against This Scurge That Has Been Brought To Them By Some Really Evil Leaders Of Governments.

You Are So Right About How We Didn't Know Just How Bad Our Media IS!!!

Here Are A Couple Of Interest Pieces That I Thought I'd Share As My Meager Contribution To What Is An Absolutely Great Thread!!!

Thank You Again Rayzur.

Less Than 3 Minutes Each. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mec73corORw#t=19

Published on Oct 17, 2014

The US Air Force has launched a new assault on ISIS positions outside Kobane. Turkey is providing limited support for the US operation. It has approved drone reconnaissance flights, but has not yet opened up its air bases for American warplanes. Many Kobane refugees are willing to go back and join the fight against Islamic State, however they are stuck in Turkey. RT’s Murad Gazdiev reports from just outside the warzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEGv0DutizU#t=47

Published on Oct 18, 2014

In northern Iraq, the Kurdish people are fighting off the Islamic onslaught. But they face a severe lack of equipment - including heavy weaponry. RT's Paula Slier looked at how some Kurds are getting round the problem.

• Upvote 2

Might not be over quite yet....IS knows the world is watching and a defeat would show the world they are not the unstoppable force they seem to have been in places like Iraq.... The huge difference has been having ground forces who take them on in fighting (versus the Iraqi who fled upon seeing them).....   This is some of the info coming in within the last hour 12:00 PDT

Very heavy clashes in Kobane the coalition is  supporting the defensive front-lines of YPG and shell IS positions intermittently....

"Turkish army turns off the lights of the border with Kobane to send more ammo to IS in Kobane" reports  a battalion leader of FSA (reminder the US is supporting/arming the FSA, considering them on the side of the US)..... With the lights off on the Turkish border of Kobane, they are also taking in wounded ISIS fighters for treatment....

Polat Can, YPG spokesman, says that ISIS is attacking the city of Kobane from 5 places, they are shelling the city randomly and according to Polat Can, ISIS is launching  its biggest offensive tonight against the city of Kobane

There have been numerous reports with differing numbers as to casualities .... YPG reports 133 YPG YPJ and FSA fighters have died in battle

ISIS is using chemical weapons against Kobane civilians and military... resulting in horrible deaths.... (I chose not to post any pictures) .

From France TV 24..(sorry can't figure out how to put the embedded video in here... but this is narrative) .. 

Had the enemy sniper aimed any higher, Marghas Magharen might not have escaped Kobane's inferno.

Like hundreds of other injured Kurdish fighters, the 17-year-old is now recovering in a hospital across the Syrian border with Turkey.

“I was hit in the leg and taken to a field hospital in Kobane. I stayed there for a week and then an ambulance brought me here to get surgery,” Magharen told FRANCE 24’s reporters at the border.

For over a month, Kurdish forces in the city of Kobane have fought off a bloody offensive by members of the so-called Islamic State group.

Outgunned and outnumbered, the fighters of the People's Protection Units (YPG) have defied the odds to defend the Syrian border city, which has been all but surrounded by the heavily armed jihadists.

Hundreds of thousands of Kurdish civilians have already fled to neighbouring Turkey, but for the fighters left behind there is now only one route left across the border.

So far, ambulances have been using this road to rush wounded fighters from Kobane to the nearest Turkish hospital.

But doctors say more lives could be saved if Turkish medical volunteers were allowed to cross the border and tend to the injured inside Kobane.

“We've got teams of volunteers ready to go to Kobane if a humanitarian corridor opens up,” says Fikret Cala, a first-aid worker.

Yet, despite mounting international pressure, the government in Ankara has refused to open its border with Syria.

Turkey, which has a large Kurdish population, is deeply suspicious of attempts to create an autonomous Kurdish entity in Syria.

As a result, Turkish tanks have sat idle along the border, refusing to intervene in support of Kobane.

Meanwhile, over at the hospital, Magharen is itching to return to battle as soon as he gets rid of his crutches.

But that is another thing Turkey is unlikely to allow.

From the UK Daily Mail

Exclusive: Savage women warriors terrifying the jihadis who believe if they're killed by a female they won't go to heaven
  • Army of women in desperate battle to defend Kobane from Islamic State
  • Nesrin Abdi carries rifle in case she is captured and needs to shoot herself
  • The medical student is a part of an all female wing of the Kurdish army
  • Says ISIS militants are terrified of being killed by a woman and fear they won't go to heaven
  • Dispatch from Turkey/Syria border by Daily Mail's Sam Greenhill with photographs by Jamie Wiseman

By Sam Greenhill for the Daily Mail

Published: 17:47 EST, 17 October 2014 | Updated: 06:29 EST, 18 October 2014

1413617403441_Image_galleryImage_From_Ja

Courage: Fighter Nesrin Abdi pictured with her comrades on the battlefield in Kobane

You wouldn’t know it from her sweet smile, but the reason why Nesrin Abdi carries a rifle is in case she needs to shoot herself dead.

This, she explained matter-of-factly, would be preferable to being captured by the monsters of Islamic State.

Nesrin, a 20-year-old medical student, is by all accounts a happy, well-educated, middle-class young woman with an infectious joy for life.

In her home town of Kobane on the Syria-Turkey border, moments of joy are rare, but a photograph captures the triumphant moment three days ago when she was among Kurdish fighters who recaptured a strategic hill from the Islamic State invaders.

The jihadis’ sinister black flag was torn down and replaced with a fluttering Kurdish red-and-yellow banner, marking what may well prove a symbolic turning point in the life-and-death struggle for the besieged town.

But Nesrin, a doctor’s daughter who has joined an army of women battling to defend Kobane, is aware that every day could be her last.

She told me: ‘Everyone knows what happens if IS catches you. For a woman it is rape, followed by beheading. We have all seen the videos of the American and British hostages beheaded in the desert. They will treat us the same.

‘I carry a Kalashnikov and if I am cornered face-to-face with an IS fighter, I don’t know exactly what I will do. Maybe I will kill him or maybe I will kill myself.’

The battle for Kobane has raged for a month and the stakes could hardly be higher. On Nato’s doorstep, it has become a litmus test of the resolve of America and its allies to crush the growing menace of Islamic State.

The bloodthirsty fanatics are pouring in reinforcements and have the town in a deadly stranglehold, with up to 13,000 civilians trapped inside, including the elderly and babies hungry for milk. The United Nations has warned of ‘another Srebenica’ — like the massacre in Bosnia in 1995 — unless the world acts.

Photographer Jamie Wiseman and I have been witnessing the struggle unfold from a Turkish hilltop overlooking the town. In the past four days, cheered by Kurds on the hilltop, the U.S. has stepped up the coalition bombing campaign of IS targets, claiming its warplanes have blown up 600 jihadis along with American tanks and artillery that they pilfered from the Iraqi army.

The U.S. blitz is welcome — one Kurdish couple have named their newborn son Obama in gratitude — but the battle cannot be won by air power alone.  

1413617281199_wps_1_From_Jamie_Wiseman_1

Nesrin, circled, pictured at a ceremony in July when she joined the YPJ fighters to defend her hometown of Kobane from ISIS militants 

1413617468140_Image_galleryImage_From_Ja
1413617475116_Image_galleryImage_From_Ja

Nesrin, pictured left in her YPJ uniform and at a Kurdish National celebration, right, says the jihadists are feared of being killed by a woman 

On the ground, resistance troops have taken advantage of the air raids to mount an unlikely comeback and retake some parts of the town. They are commanded by a woman, and dozens of female fighters swell their ranks.

When I spoke to Nesrin Abdi yesterday, she explained why the all-female wing of the Kurdish force defending Kobane — the YPJ — is striking fear into the hearts of the jihadi men.

‘For Daesh [an Arabic term for IS], to be killed by a woman means he will not go to Heaven. When we fight them, we are fierce and we let them know they are being killed by women,’ she said. 

1413617487495_wps_12_From_Jamie_Wiseman_

Miss Abdi, far left, pictured with her school friends before the war. She says Kurdish women have been fighting alongside the men since the 1930s 

1413617531189_Image_galleryImage_From_Ja

Nesrin pictured as a child. Her mother has now fled the fighting in Kobane and gone to Turkey but says she is proud of her daughter 

In the heat of battle, the female Kurdish fighters issue a chilling war cry — a shrill warble — to announce their presence to their black-clad foes.

‘It is so, so important that it is women fighting IS,’ said Nesrin. ‘In their culture, women are slaves. They treat them as objects whose lives are worth nothing.’

In the warped world of the Islamic caliphate, which has stunned the world with its sweeping victories across Syria and Iraq, girls and women lose all rights and forgo their education. Some are even sold into slavery.

1413584316396_wps_25_From_Jamie_Wiseman_

In flames: Fires burn among shattered buildings in the Syrian border town of Kobane as darkness falls

Nesrin said: ‘Kurdish women have fought hard to prove their equality, and fighting Daesh is a symbol of our freedom.’ About a quarter of the fighters in the Syrian Kurdish army — some 10,000 — are women. Of these, at least several hundred are currently believed to be fighting inside Kobane. They speak of being ‘closer than sisters’.

Recruitment to the YPJ is voluntary; women join up because it is in their blood. They have been fighting alongside men in Kurdish ranks since the 1930s — and even before they were allowed on the front line, some dressed up as men to enlist.

Kurdish activist Hatice Cevik said: ‘Not all women fighting right now were fighters before the war started. They were working or studying. Some of them were housewives. Women in Kobane are fighting for their freedom and Kurdish men are proud of that.’

Nesrin’s mother (her father died when she was young) has fled to Turkey but is also full of pride, though she is gripped with terror at what might become of her.

‘Of course she worries all the time,’ said Nesrin, who also has an elder sister. ‘But what can I do? I cannot make her feel relaxed. I always tell her this is my duty. I am a girl from this town and I need to defend it. My father and mother were born here, our ancestors are buried here — these things make me strong.

‘It would be better to die for freedom here than to live anywhere else.’

Nonetheless, it is a wretched existence. The exhausted, battle-weary fighters ****** sleep when they can, often for no more than an hour at a time.

Desperate situation: Medication is in short supply in the town and doctors warn that after this weekend they will be out of antibiotics, bandages and anaesthetic

Clutching their rifles and hand grenades, they drift off knowing that a mortar bomb landing nearby might mean they never wake.

The nights are particularly cruel because then there is no hiding from the jihadis, who gleefully brag on social media that they can see in the dark with their looted American night-vision goggles.

The street fighting rages around the clock. Propaganda videos released by the Kurds show women and men fighting alongside each other against the jihadis, blasting away with their battered Kalashnikov rifles through slots in walls.

Nesrin feels afraid every night, but says she is ‘getting used’ to the bone-shaking booms of the shelling and airstrikes.

Speaking to me from across the border on her mobile phone, with the help of a Kurdish translator, she described how the fighters keep their spirits up.

‘We listen to songs and we sing songs. In spite of the death around us there is also love of life, and love of free lives,’ she said. ‘This gives us moral support. To be defending your home town is life itself.’

I asked if she dreams of the future to keep her spirits strong, and she said: ‘I will go back to my university to become a doctor. I was only in the second year.’

1413584607008_wps_26_From_Jamie_Wiseman_

Fog of war: Thick black smoke rises slowly from an exploded car in the stricken town

She also wants to document the battle unfolding around her so the world can see what is happening.

What about a husband and children? She laughs. ‘In this situation, I don’t know. I cannot think about these things at the moment. I think I am too young.’ In Kobane, those old enough to carry a gun — and even some who are not — are armed.

‘Everybody is fighting. There are women my age who have been given hand grenades to throw,’ says a 63-year-old woman called Alife Ali at a hospital in Suruc, just across the border in Turkey. ‘We will fight to the last person.’

Behind the front line, mothers whose sons and daughters are fighting organise meals for everyone, using tinned food topped up with stocks of tomatoes and cucumbers. In the stricken town money is no longer worth anything, so the dwindling supplies of food can be obtained for free.

But medication is in short supply and doctors warn that after this weekend they will be out of antibiotics, bandages and anaesthetic. Powdered baby milk has run out.

Some joke optimistically that ‘when the war is won by women’ they will make men do the washing-up for evermore.

Shell shock: The people of Kobane endure the daily bone-shaking booms of the shelling and airstrikes

Local politician Imad Shahin, from the Kurdish PYD party, said: ‘Islamic State are trying to commit genocide against us.

‘We are being attacked by these monsters because we have equality between men and women. In a Muslim society some think it is shameful for a girl to fight, but our fighters have broken all the rules to show the world that our women are free.

‘The bravery of the women makes the men fight harder because they don’t want to be outdone by a woman.’

Indeed, a woman is leading the battle to save Kobane. With the nom de guerre Narin Afrin, and described as ‘beautiful, innocent and strong’, she is general commander of the troops defending the town.

She has been lionised on social media. Maajid Nawaz, of the counter-extremist Quilliam Foundation think-tank in London, wrote on Twitter: ‘Hero. Remember her name.’

Familiar battleground: Street fighting rages around the clock with men and women from Kobane fighting alongside each other against the jihadis

Earlier this week Narin Afrin appealed for heavy weapons, saying in a statement posted online: ‘IS are using tanks. Unfortunately we don’t have anti-tank weapons.’

After a month of horror, the desperation on both sides is mounting. Gains made by the Kurds this week, with the help of American airstrikes, have given them hope of being able to sweep the jihadis out of town. But for how long?

We can only wonder what will happen to Nesrin and the women fighting at her side when IS — which still commands all the Syrian territory around Kobane — regathers its strength and launches another murderous assault.

... ..

• Upvote 5

A Kurdish military commander says Kurdish fighters are gaining more ground against the ISIL Takfiri militants in and around the Syrian city of Kobani.

The commander said on Friday that the fighters managed to force out the ISIL militants from most of the city’s areas.

He added that the terrorists, before retreating, had left bombers in the ruins of the various buildings in the city.

The commander went on to express optimism about the possibility of liberating the entire city in the near future.

Reports say Kurdish fighters are currently engaged in heavy fighting with the Takfiri militants in the eastern side of the strategic city.

Kobani and its surroundings have been under attack since mid-September, with the ISIL militants capturing dozens of nearby Kurdish villages.

The ISIL advance in the region has forced tens of thousands of Syrian Kurds to flee into Turkey, which is a stone’s throw from Kobani.

Turkey continues to block any delivery of military, medical or humanitarian assistance into Kobani where the ISIL terrorists are feared to be aiming at massive bloodletting.

• Upvote 1

News is already referring to Iraq's new MP of Defense Khaled al-Obaidi,  relative to war against ISIS (bolded below)

ISIS militants struggle for survival in street battles with Kurds in Kobane

• 1 hour ago October 19, 2014 11:40AM
178696-ffa3f222-571e-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

An airstrike by US-led coalition aircraft in Kobane, Syria. Source: Getty Images

ISLAMIC State militants may finally have made a fatal mistake.

Suffering heavy losses on the ground in Syria and dodging a hailstorm of US bombs, their reign of terror could now be seriously weakened.

The extremists battling in Kobane have still not succeeded in cutting off the Syrian-Turkish border, a vital supply route for Kurdish forces.

178724-1ee82978-571f-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

A violent explosion in Kobane seen from the outskirts of Suruc, on the Turkey-Syria border. Source: Getty Images

And the US has this weekend carried out 25 air strikes in Iraq and Syria, targeting the jihadists’ precious oil supplies.

But it is unusual new tactics that could be their undoing, according to an analysis by military researcher Justin Bronk for CNN.

IS forces have committed to a fight in the open where they are vulnerable to airstrikes, wrote Bronk.

With the limited number of fighters, the “meat-grinder” of the Kobani street does not play to IS’s strengths, he added.

178778-f6601c90-571e-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

Turkish tanks in the south-eastern village of Mursitpinar, Sanliurfa province, near Kobane. Source: AFP

The jihadists launched a ferocious mortar attack in Kobane yesterday, but were eventually pushed back, suffering heavy losses.

Washington has hailed “encouraging” signs, although it warned that Kobane could still fall, with the fight against IS in Iraq remaining the priority.

The border with Turkey is vital for Kurdish fighters since it is their sole avenue for resupply and the only escape route for remaining civilians, with 200,000 refugees fleeing Kobane since mid-September.

UN Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura warned earlier this month that about 12,000 civilians remained in and around Kobane and risked “massacre” if the militants cut off the border.

180117-2c8a38a0-571f-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

Syrian Kurdish refugees in Suruc. The border is a crucial escape route, with more than 200,000 people fleeing from Kobane into Turkey since mid-September. Source: Getty Images

Turkey is turning a deaf ear to pressure to take a more proactive stance in the fight against IS, with Western diplomats repeatedly calling for the NATO member to take a more active role in the resistance.

Overnight, coalition air strikes on IS targets elsewhere in Syria killed 10 civilians, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Of 15 air strikes in Syria since Friday, 12 were aimed at “degrading and destroying their oil producing, collecting, storage and transportation infrastructure”, the US Central Command said. Three other strikes hit two IS fighting positions near Kobane and a military camp in the mainly jihadist-held Raqa province.

178832-107a2ff8-571f-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

IS is under increasing pressure, with 25 air strikes in the past two days. Source: AFP

In Baghdad,ministers have finally approved MPs to spearhead the fight against IS after weeks of delay.

One of them is new Sunni defence minister Khaled al-Obaidi, who was a senior officer in the air force of ousted dictator Saddam Hussein.

His involvement could help the Shi’ite-led government to win the trust of a Sunni minority, many of whom see the armed forces as an instrument of repression — which could be key to defeating IS.

On Friday and Saturday, 10 air strikes targeted IS in Iraq, including five near the strategic Mosul Dam, north of Baghdad, the US military said.

180143-0ce0a84a-571f-11e4-9982-7891fa7cc

The jihadists again failed to cut off the border despite heavy shelling. Source: Getty Images

• Upvote 2

Looks like the Kobane intelligence was correct re: massive attack... here is most recent article:

Islamic State: US-led coalition strikes pound more IS targets in Syrian border town of Kobane

Updated

10 minutes agoSat 18 Oct 2014, 6:35pm

US-led coalition jets have carried out at least six new air strikes on Islamic State targets in Kobane in a bid to flush the militants out of the besieged Syrian town.

It was not immediately clear how successful the air strikes were in weakening the IS militants' position in and around Kobane.

Shelling continued after the strikes hit the centre of of the town. Several mortars fell inside Turkey near the border gate, called Mursitpinar, according to witnesses.

Islamic State militants have battled Kurdish fighters for a month to take control of Kobane and consolidate a 95-kilometre stretch of land they control along the Turkish border, but stepped-up air strikes in recent days have helped Kurds fend off the advance.

The coalition has been bombing Islamic State targets in Iraq since August and extended the campaign to Syria in September after the Islamic State made huge territorial gains.

NATO member Turkey is a somewhat reluctant member of the coalition, insisting it must also confront Syria's Bashar al-Assad to end a civil war that has killed some 200,000 civilians since March 2011.

On Saturday, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said US-led forces bombing Islamic State in Syria killed 10 civilians in two separate air strikes.

But the US Central Command said there was no evidence to back up the report. A spokesman said its forces use mitigation measures to reduce the potential for civilian casualties.

Intense shelling continues; fighting 'worst in two days'

The Syrian Observatory said the Islamic State had launched at least 21 mortar attacks on Saturday close to the border.

Abdulrahman Gok, a journalist inside Kobane, said by telephone that the fighting was the worst in two days.

"In the past hour, the shelling has intensified. They are firing almost one every two minutes," he said, adding that the insurgents were aiming at the east side of town towards the Mursitpinar gate.

A cloud of black smoke towered over the centre of Kobane following the latest air strike as the roar of fighter jets could be heard from a blue sky. Gunfire popped in the west and centre of town.

Elsewhere in Syria, government forces shelled neighbourhoods in Damascus, the southern province of Deraa and the central province of Homs, opposition activists said.

Army helicopters were dropping improvised barrel bombs on the town of Khan Sheikhoun, in northwest Idlib province, which also borders Turkey, they said.

Islamic State supporters circulated what they said was a nine-second video clip of a fighter jet said to be flown by Islamic State militants.

The Observatory reported that Iraqi pilots who have joined Islamic State in Syria were training members of the group to fly in three captured fighter jets over the captured al-Jarrah military airport east of Aleppo.

US Central Command said on Friday that it was not aware of Islamic State flying jets in Syria.

Reuters said it could not confirm the authenticity of the footage, which showed a jet flying at low altitude.

• Upvote 1

Excellent very short video from Wall Street Journal that shows an overhead view of what is happening where... in Kobani so it makes much more sense, when you try to follow which forces are where and what that means... ...Could not figure out how to post video but the link takes you to WSJ and that video... (probably after a stupid commercial)... .

ISIS is losing face. has assembled many many more resources and is pounding Kobane again...

PYG put out official statement that they are working with FSA.... I'll post that in gallery later tonight...

US coalition still not dropping in water, food or medical supplies... ,

http://on.wsj.com/1wbkAwK?mod=wsj_video_email

• Upvote 1

"US coalition still not dropping in water, food or medical supplies"

Thank you Rayzur. That statement regarding supplies makes no sense to me,

but it may have to wait until there is insight  as to where supplies should be

dropped. At the very least, why isn't there better communication with the

PYG to know these fundamental aspects? Seems strange to me. Hopefully,

supplies will be forthcoming quickly, I see no reason to delay these needs,

perhaps it is due to making sure it does not fall into wrong hands.

• Upvote 2

Hey Jim at first I thought it might be a wrong hands issue, but they have YPG in the command center calling in air strikes... And I know the USAF is very good at drops...... in this world of double speak, its odd that we call bombing "humanitarian aid", and not dropping in supplies... Its also been interesting reading the flow of mission change regarding Kobane... its humanitarian, then its target opportunity (ISIS) and today in a different article, the same General says its part of the strategy to save Iraq... which remains the US coalition priority.... 

NATO partner Turkey is still being filmed preventing water food and medical supplies into Kobane. The Kobane docs said people will die without the medical supplies... They are running out of milk for babies... and there are still definitely a boat load of civilians in Kobane... Turkey is likewise being filmed allowing ISIS in and out with reinforcements, weapons and treating their injured. There are lots of pictures documenting various documents taken off ISIS bodies showing they all flew into Istanbul and crossed over to fight against Kobane...

In any event, I almost get the impression that we are verbally dancing around the NATO partner Turkey issue... in some of the statements being made... and somehow trying to appease them as NATO partner, while at same time trying to pressure them into becoming more involved... Turkey of course replied today that the US air strikes were a publicity campaign...

No one can afford the lid blowing off Turkey right now in the middle of everything else..which seems to be a huge give and take dance with them.... Its no surprise that Turkey lost its bid for the UN Security Council seat a few days ago.... however, they were nonetheless shocked that it happened.... Clearly that country is out of touch with its own reality....

Meantime, the US finally seems to have boarded the correct ship in its view of Kobane...Had they simply read DV days ago, they would have been spared a lot of trouble in figuring out the pivotal nature of the this battle.... Its a little bit concerning that it took them this long.. and way after many others not in command were totally on board... Whatever the case....thank G-d they finally did.. and  welcome aboard US and please refer to maps printed herein any time you have questions....

Kobani key to U.S. strategy against Islamic State  

If the city falls, the extremists will have a border waystation for militants to slip in and out of Turkey.

By LARA JAKES The Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Dusty and remote, the Syrian city of Kobani has become an unlikely spoil in the war against Islamic State militants – and far more of a strategic prize than the United States wants to admit.

Perched on Turkey’s border, the city of about 60,000 has been besieged for weeks by IS fighters. Kobani is now a ghost town: the U.N. estimates that fewer than 700 of its residents remain as its people flee to safety in Turkey.

Additional Images
521005_Mideast-Syria-Battle-of-12.jpg
A Turkish Kurd watches intensified fighting over the border in Kobani, Syria . The Associated Press

The Obama administration has declared Kobani a humanitarian disaster, but not a factor in the overall strategy to defeat the Islamic State group.

“Kobani does not define the strategy of the coalition with respect to Daesh,” Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters in Cairo earlier this week, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group. “Kobani is one community, and it’s a tragedy what is happening there, and we don’t diminish that.” But, Kerry said, the primary U.S. military focus is in neighboring Iraq.

But this week, the U.S. dramatically upped its air power strikes against the Islamic State in and around Kobani, including 59 strikes over the last four days alone, as of Friday. Several hundred Islamic State fighters were killed, the Pentagon said.

Now, the U.S. cannot afford to lose Kobani, said Robert Ford, the former U.S. ambassador to Syria. That means the city’s fate is tied, in part at least, to the success of the U.S.-led strategy against the Islamic State.

“The most important thing about Kobani now is that if it falls to the Islamic State, it would be seen as a defeat for the Americans, and thus would touch on the credibility of the American policy to contain and degrade the Islamic State,” said Ford, now at the Middle East Institute in Washington.

“We have made a real effort to help the defenders in Kobani by targeting various Islamic State assets,” he said. “And if it falls nonetheless, then it makes it looks like the U.S. military couldn’t contain that, and that’s how it would be seen in the region.”

Said Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon’s spokesman: “We never said Kobani didn’t matter.”

Here is a look at why it does:

A KURDISH APPEAL

Despite the barrage of airstrikes, the U.S. so far has been unable to help Kurdish defenders break the siege. The U.S. and its allies have said that airstrikes alone will not be enough to beat back the extremists. That requires ground troops, both in Syria and Iraq.

Since President Obama is adamant that American troops will not join the fight on the ground, the U.S. has been working to help arm, equip and revamp training programs for national and Kurdish Peshmerga security forces in Iraq and moderate rebel fighters in Syria. The Peshmerga and other Kurdish forces have been key in containing – if not defeating – IS across much of northern Iraq. Making sure they keep up that front is a top priority for the U.S.

Irbil, the Kurdish capital in Iraq, asked the Obama administration to increase airstrikes in Kobani, said Mahma Khalil, a Kurdish lawmaker from northern Iraq. While there’s no formal link between the government in Irbil and the Kurdish population in Syria, both dream of an independent nation for ethnic Kurds.

“The current level of airstrikes are not enough to stop the terrorists from seizing Kobani,” Khalil said this week. “The U.S. airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Kobani and Iraq should be accelerated more and more” to avoid the extremists from reclaiming areas they were pushed from earlier this summer, he said.

A U.S. military official confirmed Khalil’s account and noted that maintaining good relations with Irbil is an important part of Washington’s strategy against the Islamic militants. The official was not authorized to discuss the diplomatic issue by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Publicly, the Pentagon and State Department say the reasons for the increased airstrikes at Kobani are twofold: The city has become an easier target in recent days due to an influx of Islamic State fighters who have gathered there. And the strikes serve as a humanitarian relief mission to protect the city while Kurdish fighters reorganize their front.

WHERE’S TURKEY?

Kobani also has become a symbol of Turkey’s reluctance to fight the Islamic State – even in a city right across its border. It is an ongoing example of the difficulty of uniting regional enemies against a common threat, and has created a messy intersection of U.S. military and diplomatic interests.

If Kobani falls, the Islamic extremists will have a border waystation for militants to slip in and out of Turkey. Already, Turkey is grappling with how to tighten its borders against thousands of foreign fighters, mostly from Western and Eastern European nations, who have traveled through Turkey to join the insurgency.

The U.S. has tried for months to coax Turkey into providing more assistance, including border security, to the global coalition against the Islamic State group. So far, Turkey has provided sanctuary to an estimated 200,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees, and recently agreed to train and equip moderate Syrian rebel fighters trying to remove Syrian President Bashar Assad from power.

But Turkey is not expected to send troops or aid to the Kurdish fighters who are defending Kobani due to a decades-long dispute it has waged against a Kurdish guerrilla group linked to the city’s defenders. The fighters in Kobani are affiliated with the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, which both Turkey and the U.S. consider a terrorist organization.

Turkey has openly said it is blocking Turkish Kurds from joining the fight in Kobani. And neither Turkey nor the Syrian Kurds are enthusiastic about joining ranks if Turkey sends army troops to Kobani.

Further complicating the issue, the U.S. said it has begun talking directly to the Kurdish fighters’ political wing in Kobani – a diplomatic move that could stretch tensions with Turkey even farther.

A Turkish government official on Friday said Ankara does not oppose action that is intended to weaken IS.

“Turkey is part of the coalition against ISIL,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make public statements.

THE PROPAGANDA BATTLE FOR KOBANI

The U.S. isn’t sure why IS is fighting so hard for control of Kobani, a city with few resources and far removed from any capital. But like the U.S. with Kobani, a loss to a ragtag group of Kurdish fighters would be a propaganda loss for IS. oh for G-ds sake!! Can someone please send Central Command the frickin youtube videos of ISIS weapons going in and out of Turkey... and include a map of the region... 

Much of the daily fighting in Kobani is caught on camera, where TV crews and photographers on the Turkish side of the border have captivated the world’s attention with searing pictures of refugees, black plumes of smoke from explosions, and the sounds of firefights on the city’s streets. In video after video, refugees just across the border can be seen and heard cheering as U.S. airstrikes pound the extremists. The world is also watching numerous constant videos of ISIS transporting weapons on Turkish rail lines, along with continual reinforcements... while at the same time, all Kurds are prevented from returning to Kobane to fight or take in water, food and medical....

IS has published pictures of its militants closing in on Kobani, aiming “to appear strong, undeterred, and unharmed by the strikes,” said Rita Katz, director of the SITE Intelligence group, which monitors jihadist networks online. As recently as last week, in pictures and Tweets, the militants’ supporters declared Kobani as theirs, and changed the city’s name to Ayn al-Islam, or Spring of Islam. But the online jeering has quieted considerably after the airstrikes of the last several days.

The Islamic State relies on its global online propaganda machine, run largely by supporters far from the battle, to entice fighters, funding and other aid to the front. If the militants’ victories begin to ebb in such a public forum, U.S. officials believe, so too will their lines of support. That alone makes the battle for Kobani a must-win fight for the U.S. strategy.

And that is not lost on Washington. “What makes Kobani significant is the fact that ISIL wants it,” Kirby said.

. .

• Upvote 2

Statement from the YPG Commander 19 Oct 2014

Statement of the YPG General Command

To the Media and the General Public,

It has been 33 days that the city of Kobane has been fighting terrorism in eventful days of resistance, redemption, and enormous sacrifices in combating the terrorist attacks of ISIS and its evils. For this organization which has become the biggest threat to the global peace and stability, the battle of Kobane poses a historic turning point. We are certain that the result of this battle will shape the future of Syria and the democratic struggle for freedom and peace. We want it to be known that the victory in Kobane is a victory for all Syria, and it will also be a major defeat for ISIS and terrorism.

The resistance shown by us, the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and the factions of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) is a guarantee for defeating ISIS’s terrorism in the region. Counter-terrorism and building a free and democratic Syria was the basis of the agreement we signed with factions of the FSA. As we can see, the success of the revolution is subject to the development of this relationship between all factions and the forces of good in this country.

ypg_fsa.jpg?w=604&h=326YPG and FSA Commanders in Afrin

We as the YPG affirm that we will meet all of our responsibilities towards Rojava and Syria in general. We will work to consolidate the concept of true partnership for the administration of this country commensurate with the aspirations of the Syrian people with all its ethnic, religious and social classes.

We also confirm that there is coordination between us and the important factions of the FSA in the northern countryside of Aleppo, Afrin, Kobane, and Jazia. Currently, there are factions and several battalions of the FSA fighting on our side against the ISIS terrorists.

General Command of the YPG

October 19, 2014

• Upvote 1