Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

School apologizes after making atheist stand for the Pledge! Cowards

DiveDeepSix

School Apologizes After Atheist Student 'Intimidated' Into Standing For Pledge Of Allegiance

Officials at a Southern California high school have apologized after an atheist student was pressured to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance against his will.

A ninth grade student at Oak Park High School in California's Ventura County said he had attempted to stay seated at his desk while his class recited the pledge. However, the student said his teacher reprimanded him for sitting and "intimidated" him to the point where he felt compelled to stand during the exercise.

After the student contacted the American Humanist Association about the incident, the nonprofit group penned a letter to the school district on the student's behalf, noting that the teacher had violated the student's First Amendment rights by compelling him to say the pledge.

"Under the guise of patriotism, this school authority figure has demonstrated shocking indifference for the very Constitution he claims to deem so sacred," reads the Sept. 29 letter. "We demand that this situation be remedied immediately."

According to the Los Angeles Times, school officials apologized to the student, citing the teacher's ignorance of the student's First Amendment rights.

"It was a mistake," Oak Park Unified School District superintendent Anthony Knight said.

Knight issued a districtwide memo to teachers to remind them that students have a right to refuse to stand for or recite the pledge.

"Compelling a student to stand or participate in any way is considered a violation of the student’s First Amendment rights to free speech and expression," Knight wrote, according to the Times. "There may be a commonly held misunderstanding that students can decide to refrain from saying the Pledge but can be required to stand out of respect. This is not correct."

Earlier this year, a similar incident occurred at Southside High School in New York. The American Humanist Association stepped in after a high school sophomore said she was told by a teacher it was "disrespectful to America and to military personnel" to not stand for the oath, and was threatened with disciplinary action.

This article originally appeared in The Huffington Post

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/daily-roundup/school-apologizes-after-atheist-student-intimidated-into-standing-for-pledge-of-allegiance/ar-BB73VBh

Hey kid if you want to be disrespectful to our country, our military, our beliefs, and our flag, that's your prerogative, but go express your individualism in Mexico, China, Russia, someplace other then here, where people have fought and died for you to even be here you ungrateful little $#!+.  Of course the school caved, hat's off to this teacher who made the kid stand up out of respect, he didn't have to say God, but he can be respectful.  The problem is the kid isn't old enough to have enough life experience to know if he believes in God or not, just some little punk trying to make a scene.  :salute:

• Upvote 6

DD6... agreed!  Although, IMO... the teacher should have left him ALONE in his dissent, magnifying his rebellious action... his right, his choice.  Maybe he'll reflect on that moment when he "grows up"!   Or... maybe he won't! LOL  I think I remember my every youthful regret! :o  

• Upvote 1

How many times were we (collectively) made to feel intimidated by a coach or teacher in the 9 grade.

Most guys have shat for brains in the 9 th grade. Gals not much better.

That is why we go to school! To learn how to not be a worthless gimie gimie freeloader!

Guess I should have paid attention in English class. The last sentence above could be rephrased to : don't vote democrat!

My bad. Must have shat for brains! ;)

• Upvote 3

How many times were we (collectively) made to feel intimidated by a coach or teacher in the 9 grade.

Most guys have shat for brains in the 9 th grade. Gals not much better.

That is why we go to school! To learn how to not be a worthless gimie gimie freeloader!

Guess I should have paid attention in English class. The last sentence above could be rephrased to : don't vote democrat!

My bad. Must have shat for brains! ;)

Agreed gang, MS blame it on the beer that's what I always do!!!   :twothumbs: 

Hey kid if you want to be disrespectful to our country, our military, our beliefs, and our flag, that's your prerogative, but go express your individualism in Mexico, China, Russia, someplace other then here, where people have fought and died for you to even be here you ungrateful little $#!+.  Of course the school caved, hat's off to this teacher who made the kid stand up out of respect, he didn't have to say God, but he can be respectful.  The problem is the kid isn't old enough to have enough life experience to know if he believes in God or not, just some little punk trying to make a scene.  :salute:

What is it about The First Amendment you don't understand?

• Upvote 1

What is it about The First Amendment you don't understand?

What is it about respect for this country you don't? No one said he had to recite it, or he had to say God (God forbid), what he was told was is to stand up and show respect to this country it has nothing to do with God!  Maybe you are ok with that, I'm not.  If he and his parents dislike this country and what it stands for so much, they should hit the road!!  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:  :wave:

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

, someplace other then here, where people have fought and died for you to even be here you ungrateful little $#!+.

Other than The Revelutionary War, name one where anyone fought and died for this young man to "even

be here".

! Maybe you are ok with that, I'm not. If he and his parents dislike this country and what it stands for so much, they should hit the road!! :

Maybe they should stick around and make it a better country.

Edited by flatdawg
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

When I was in 9th grade, no one would have acted like this, much less gotten away with it,

Our ass would have been "handed" to us both at school and at home.

Time to bring back some of the good old days! Oh, I forgot, we can't discipline our kids now days. that's b.s.

Edited by moose 57
  • Upvote 2

Flatdawg, do you say the Pledge of Allegiance?  

Just wanted to know.

I have a good suggestion for PUBLIC SCHOOLS:  

1.  No pray of ANY type can be said.  

2.  No religion of ANY kind can be discussed, taught, or allowed to function in any classroom assembly or theater.

3.  No political statements can be made by teachers, students, visitors, or guest.  

4.  No pledge, statement of any political bias (all political parties) can be made by teachers, students, visitors, or guest.  

5.  All books or papers mentioning any political, religious, or social duties cannot not be purchased by the schools, read by the students, and made required reading by the school, teacher, or staff of the school.

6.  The creation of the universe by any god cannot be mentioned in the classroom.

7.  The theory of evolution or its theories cannot be discussed, mentioned, or taught in the classroom.

8.  No mention can every be made concerning the Crusades in Europe or the Middle East can be researched, read, or taught in the classroom.

9.  All students should wear the uniform prescribed by the Department of Education. Girls will wear the same uniform; Boys will wear the same uniform.  No distinction can be made between schools.

10.  A uniform curriculum with NO variants must be taught in every school of the nation.

11.  All students will pass, no student will fail.  

12.  Any school, teacher, or student who violates the rules will be immediately expelled without recourse.  

Now wouldn't that be nice?  Everyone would be the same!  

Of course you know that I do NOT believe this would be good at all!  There would be little learning or individuality expression in all of the above.  Yet I believe this is what some people really want!   How ignorant is that?!

• Upvote 2

I'm not religious but I always stood up and recited the pledge as I knew as a child it was about out countries freedoms. I also bow my head for prayer that my father in law does as he is a retired marine as I respect him and his beliefs as he has earned that respect and It doesn't kill me to show that respect for his beliefs as those beliefs has given him the nads to fight for our country and respect life. Anyways hard to see if I'm repeating on my cell so sorry if I have.

• Upvote 1

Other than The Revelutionary War, name one where anyone fought and died for this young man to "even

be here".

Maybe they should stick around and make it a better country.

Wow bro if you are really that messed up maybe they should take you with them when they leave and make this a better country, you apparently have no respect either, what's wrong with standing in silence nobody asked him to say it or say God?  But he can stand up and show some respect to this country, our flag, and OUR (ya bud like it or not the majority of the country's) beliefs!!  :rolleyes:  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1