Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq: Stalemate continues over finalizing government formation

yota691

Written by : Hamza Mustafa
on : Friday, 3 Oct, 2014

Iraq: Stalemate continues over finalizing government formation
Confusion remains over two key ministerial positions

Abadi-submits-government.jpg

Haider Al-Abadi attends the parliament session to submit his government at the parliament headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq, on September 8, 2014. (Reuters/Thaier Al-Sudani)

Baghdad, Asharq Al-Awsat—Iraq’s main political camps remain unable to agree on candidates for two key ministerial positions, dashing hopes that government line-up could be finalized ahead of Eid Al-Adha.

Iraqi parliamentary rapporteur Niyazi Uglu said on Thursday that the parliament will not be able to convene to name candidates for the interior and defense ministries, without explaining why.

Earlier this week, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi announced he would discuss with the Speaker of the Parliament Salim Al-Jubouri the possibility of holding a parliamentary session before Eid Al-Adha to vote on candidates for the remaining ministerial portfolios.

The Shi’ite-majority National Alliance debated on Thursday a special mechanism for choosing a candidate for the defense ministry, a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He said: “The content of the mechanism suggests that Abadi puts forward a group of candidates to the National Alliance to vote on and the one with the most votes becomes the alliance’s candidate for the ministry.”

Meanwhile, there were contradicting reports about whether former Iraqi Minister of Finance Rafie Al-Issawi will stand as the Sunni-majority Iraqi Forces Alliance’s candidate for the interior ministry.

Issawi served as the country’s finance minister under former Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki between 2010 and 2013 before he was sacked over corruption and terror charges.

Speaking exclusively to Asharq Al-Awsat senior Iraqi Forces Alliance MP Mohamed Al-Khalidi denied the reports, maintaining that his alliance remains torn between Khaled Al-Obaidi and Jaber Al-Jabri for the interior portfolio.

“Fabricated remarks about nominating Issawi were falsely attributed to Muttahidoun Bloc leader Osama Nujaifi [who] asked me to inform the media about his denial,” he said.

However, another Iraqi Forces Alliance MP Raad Al-Dahlaki told Asharq Al-Awsat Issawi remains “one of the most prominent names put forward,” maintaining that all charges against him will be dropped.

This isn't rocket science.

I can have their government

done in a day.

All I need is a roulette wheel,

strips of paper the size of fortune

cookie fortunes, and lots of

brown paper bags.

On the wheel is written all the blocs.

On strips of paper are written the

ministerial positions, and placed in

a bag..

Each bloc is given a brown paper bag

and enough strips of paper to write down

each members name.

Do you see where I'm going with this...?

Al-Abadi spins the wheel and when it stops

on a bloc, he reaches into his bag and

pulls out a strip of paper with a ministerial

position written on it..

That bloc then reaches into their bag

and pulls out a name.

Ministerial position one is filled.

Repeat until Al-Abadi's bag is empty...

It just doesn't get any fairer or random

than that.

• Upvote 1

Lock & chain the doors. No food, only tea and water. They don't get out until the deal is done . . . and there will NOT be a supply of Depends either !

You're too nice.

Let them have food. Del Taco, with lots of

Del Scorcho Sauce. That stuff gives me the

Del Squirto's...

Beer. Lots of beer.

THEN lock and chain the doors...

• Upvote 1

You're too nice.

Let them have food. Del Taco, with lots of

Del Scorcho Sauce. That stuff gives me the

Del Squirto's...

Beer. Lots of beer.

THEN lock and chain the doors...

. . . and that's all she wrote. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what else would.

Unholy She~ite! What is the deal with the Interior and Defense Ministers? No one ever wants to fill these 2 positions. What is so difficult about the Defense and Interior spots????

Not so! These are two HOT positions with big budgets and political power. Defense controls the military and interior controls the police force ... The wrong person in ether position could mount a coup and take over. if Maliki gets one of his boys in he might try. I think that is what is making a selection difficult. 

With Malakis cronies being in parliament Abadi is a lame duck. They want him to nominate Malakis buddies for the last two spots but Abadi says no. Its starting to look like this struggle will probably go into next year the way it is looking.

This is why the Kurds votes are so important. They are not playing unless they get all of thier demands met. I think they have about 40 votes. Votes that need a simple majority, will pass once the Kurds are on board. When the Kurds come back to the government, it don't matter what Maliki goons do.  

Thanks Yota....Hell, if these two positions are so powerful. Instead of having a single person occupy the slot...evolve both positions where a member of each party sets on a panel to represent the parties view on the responsibly that are required. This would allow any actions taken in either position to have complete acknowledgement of any operation....

Thanks Yota....Hell, if these two positions are so powerful. Instead of having a single person occupy the slot...evolve both positions where a member of each party sets on a panel to represent the parties view on the responsibly that are required. This would allow any actions taken in either position to have complete acknowledgement of any operation....

No disrespect but this IS Iraq. If you got that many people trying to make a decision they would give a whole new meaning to the word "soon."

Thanks Yota....Hell, if these two positions are so powerful. Instead of having a single person occupy the slot...evolve both positions where a member of each party sets on a panel to represent the parties view on the responsibly that are required. This would allow any actions taken in either position to have complete acknowledgement of any operation....

The constitution requires one person in charge and when that election is made ther may be no recall. the trigger is pulled !

So I could understand Maliki's hesitation. I just can't understand the new PM's dilemma....

Not so! These are two HOT positions with big budgets and political power. Defense controls the military and interior controls the police force ... The wrong person in ether position could mount a coup and take over. if Maliki gets one of his boys in he might try. I think that is what is making a selection difficult.