Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

19 Most Expensive Substances In The World

UNEEK

19 Of The Most Expensive Substances In The World

19. White Truffles   Cost: Up to $5 per gram or $2,000 per pound

What you do with it: This seasonal mushroom can be shaved over pasta, steak, eggs, and rice and infused in oil to sprinkle on almost anything.

18. Saffron    Cost: $11.13 per gram or $5,040 per pound

What you do with it: Saffron is a flowering plant that can be used in natural remedies for everything from depression to menstrual cycles.

17. Iranian Beluga Caviar   Cost: $35 per gram or $1,000 per ounce

What you do with it: Also known as "almas," these costly fish eggs are eaten cold and in small bites as an appetizer and on unsalted crackers or bread.

16. Gold   Cost: $39.81 per gram

What you do with it: In addition to its uses in jewelry, the ancient metal can be used for electrical conductivity and resistance to corrosion.

15. Rhodium   Cost: $45 per gram or $1,270 per ounce

What you do with it: Rhodium is mostly used in three-way catalytic converters to reduce a car's carbon emissions.

14. Platinum   Cost: $48 per gram or $1,365 per ounce

What you do with it: Platinum can be used as a catalyst in scientific experiments, worn as jewelry, and taken in anti-cancer drugs.

13. Rhino Horn    Cost: $55 per gram or $25,000 per pound

What you do with it: The prized tusk is rumored in Vietnam to cure cancer. Its supposed medical uses also include treating fevers and other ailments

12. Crème de la Mer   Cost:  $70 per gram or $2,000 an ounce

What you do with it: Rub this so-called miracle cream daily to look ageless.

11. Heroin    Cost: High-quality heroin can cost you up to $110 per gram

What you do with it: The opiate is injected, snorted, or smoked and is meant to alter the subconscious. It can also cause convulsions or even comas.

10. Methamphetamine   Cost: $120 per gram or $1,600 per ounce

What you do with it: The highly addictive drug can produce euphoric effects and is often popular with teenagers.

9. Crack Cocaine   Cost: Up to $600 per gram

What you do with it: Some say party, others say develop a problematic habit.

8. LSD    Cost: The crystal form of LSD costs about $3,000 per gram

What you do with it: Popular in the 1960s, this substance is known to cause hallucinations.

7. Plutonium  Cost: Roughly $4,000 per gram

What you do with it: It makes things nuclear. There are two kinds of plutonium that can be used, for either military purposes or nuclear reactors.

6. Taaffeite  *Cost: Anywhere between $2,500 to $20,000 per gram or $2,400 per carat

What you do with it: The mauve-colored gem is thought to be more than a million times scarcer than diamonds. And while it's a bit too durable to use often in jewelry, if you're lucky enough to find one, don't let your hands off it.

*FYI: A carat = 0.2 grams

5. Tritium   Cost: $30,000 per gram

What you do with it: Tritium is used in self-luminating EXIT signs found in theaters, schools, and office buildings. There are more than two million tritium EXIT signs in the United States.

4. Diamonds *Cost: A colorless, 1-carat can cost more than $65,000 per gram, or $13,000 per carat

What you do with it: Buy engagement rings.

3. Painite    *Cost: $300,000 per gram or up to $60,000 per carat

What you do with it: Thought to be the rarest gem mineral, it can be used in crystal healing or just make a pretty collectible.

2. Californium 252   Cost: $27 million per gram

What you do with it: The Californium isotope is used in devices that find layers of oil and water in oil wells.

1. Antimatter    Cost: $100 trillion per gram

What you do with it: Antimatter could possibly fuel spaceships to the planets, and maybe the stars, in the years to come.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-valuable-substances-by-weight-2014-9#19-white-truffles-1

• Upvote 1

Good Morning skeetdog  - "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" they say   --  also --- An item is only worth what someone / anyone  is willing to pay for it --  From the list above it seems those items  brought the  high dollar price -- Are you willing to put your wife on the auction block?  lol  I doubt it  but glad to see you do value her greatly -

I wonder where "coffee" comes into the list?   :eyebrows:

Ha Ha Good Morning Nelg --   coffee & chocolate ??? I hear ya!! I wonder what #20 was -- I submit for more research & data -  what say you?   :) :) 

Hey where is water on the  list? I have been reading that some very  wealthy people  have been buying up water rights -- hummmm  -- definitely more research to do   -

I think I opened a Pandora's box ??  :)

I really wanted to post all of the pictures with my original post above but thought it might be a little much and would lose favor with the mods ??   I don't know if there is a limit -but did not want to chance it lol  --  If you go to the link you can  see what all the substances look like - plutonium - crack cocaine - heroin  - rhodium - and the other neat ones - 

Don't  you just love the internet and the ease of searching  and learning about all these neat things?  :) :) :)

antimatter, substance composed of subatomic particles that have the mass, electric charge, and magnetic moment of the electrons, protons, and neutrons of ordinary matter but for which the electric charge and magnetic moment are opposite in sign.

The antimatter particles corresponding to electrons, protons, and neutrons are called positrons (e+), antiprotons (p), and antineutrons (n); collectively they are referred to as antiparticles.

The electrical properties of antimatter being opposite to those of ordinary matter, the positron has a positive charge and the antiproton a negative charge; the antineutron, though electrically neutral, has a magnetic moment opposite in sign to that of the neutron.

Matter and antimatter cannot coexist at close range for more than a small fraction of a second because they collide with and annihilate each other, releasing large quantities of energy in the form of gamma rays or elementary particles.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/28179/antimatter

Securityguy --  hey hey  - that's a good one too - that  stuff is not cheap for sure - there are some essential oils that are extremely expensive also -  and what about wine?  Crude Oil?   but alas the list just gave us   the 19 "most" expensive --  maybe I will do more research on this  as I am   very curious now to know more on the  list - like the top100?? lol

This Bluefin  Tuna sold last year beats truffles

At $1.76M, This Bluefin Tuna Better Become Pretty Amazing Sushi As bluefin stocks plummet, demand remains high. A 500-pound specimen was sold for a record-setting price last weekend.

tuna_0.jpg?itok=6GRjeRMf

Spending exorbitant amounts on the first bluefin of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fishmarket is a PR stunt that could have real consequences. (Photo: Per-Andre Hoffmann/Getty Images)

January 07, 2013

Clare Leschin-Hoar's stories on seafood and food politics have appeared in Scientific American, Eating Well and elsewhere.
follow me 

A single 489-pound Pacific bluefin tuna sold for a record $1.76 million at Japan’s famous Tsukiji fish market over the weekend. Smashing last year’s record by nearly $1 million, the tuna is the most expensive fish ever sold at a jaw-dropping $3,603 per pound, or roughly $178 per piece of sushi.

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 2

This Bluefin  Tuna sold last year beats truffles

At $1.76M, This Bluefin Tuna Better Become Pretty Amazing Sushi As bluefin stocks plummet, demand remains high. A 500-pound specimen was sold for a record-setting price last weekend.

tuna_0.jpg?itok=6GRjeRMf

Spending exorbitant amounts on the first bluefin of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fishmarket is a PR stunt that could have real consequences. (Photo: Per-Andre Hoffmann/Getty Images)

January 07, 2013

Clare Leschin-Hoar's stories on seafood and food politics have appeared in Scientific American, Eating Well and elsewhere.
follow me 

A single 489-pound Pacific bluefin tuna sold for a record $1.76 million at Japan’s famous Tsukiji fish market over the weekend. Smashing last year’s record by nearly $1 million, the tuna is the most expensive fish ever sold at a jaw-dropping $3,603 per pound, or roughly $178 per piece of sushi.

Thanks for the interesting post -- +1

Wow !!  unbelievable - I'm glad I don't like tuna  -- even if I did I would not be paying that price --  IN fact I  don't eat much fish at all  and even less since our  waters have become so contaminated -  It just  isn't safe in my opinion --

Oh yes, it  is only fair to mention that most  of our food  has been contaminated  by GMO's or other  means by  man's on hand --

• Upvote 1