Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Joan Rivers Dies at 81

Saint

NEWS & IDEAS Remembering Joan Rivers' Fearless Career

September 04, 2014

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-30%20at%2011.56.

"Comedy is truth, and we should not apologize for it."

Joan Rivers' first job was as a magician's assistant, but she was fired for making too many jokes. The groundbreaking comedian eventually made a name for herself in a man's world, guest hosting The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and eventually running her own late night extravaganza, The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers. At 81, she was busier than ever, hosting E!'s Fashion Police, running her own online series In Bed With Joan, and promoting her jewelry line on QVC. In her Twitter bio, she called herself "a simple girl with a dream." She was a self-made woman, and it's her doggedness, her commitment to comedy, that made her a loveable character even as she pushed every boundary. We remember her fearless career and inimitable charisma.

• Upvote 6

Thank you  for the post Saint  +1  -- I have been watching the news lately to keep up  with her  progress / recovery etc - I have been gone most of today and  have not had  a chance to read the news  - I was really hoping she was improving and was going to be with  us  a few more years - I thought she was doing  okay -   She was very active and living her life  to the  fullest  up to the end  at a ripe age of 81 --  I  think most of us  would  like  to be able to follow  that type of exit -- with grace  dignity - and a legacy 

• Upvote 2

Seems anyone who comes out saying anything negative about Obama ends up dead shortly after. A simple throat procedure that ends up causing one to die?

Some interviewer asked Joan the question of, "do you think the United States will see the first *** President or the first woman President?" To which Joan responded by saying, We already have with Obama, so let's just calm down.

Then Joan went on to say, you know Michelle is tranny, which the interviewer said, I'm sorry, a what? To which Joan said, a transgender, we all know it, to which the reporter said, oh gosh, and Joan said, oh gosh, it's Okay!

Now she's dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihP_q6UPUDA

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I have been praying for her recovery.  I know she's in a better place but Im heart broken for Melissa. 

I remember her back in the late 60's .  She was a head of her time so funny and out spoken.

I was a little girl at the time but I've been following her carer ever sense.

I will miss her.   :(

No offense millionaire but it's curious how everyone always says, " he or she is in a better place." Thing is, the only way someone who dies ends up in a better place is if that person has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. I don't know whether Joan was a believer or not but I hope she was. Nevertheless, she will be mIssed. I've enjoyed her snippy delivery all of my life. It's a very sad thing indeed.

• Upvote 2

I really liked her a whole lot....she's my kinda girl...

Joan Rivers Wanted Paparazzi, Meryl Streep at Her "Showbiz Affair" Funeral

1409862581_136977182_joan-rivers-467.jpg

Even when speaking about death, Joan Rivers was hilarious, wise, and inimitable. 

The celebrated comedienne, who passed away on Thursday, Sept. 4, at the age of 81, had talked about aging and death repeatedly over her years in the spotlight. In her 2012 book I Hate Everyone… Starting with Me, the late Rivers even outlined her plans for her funeral.

PHOTOS: Joan Rivers' Life and Career, 1933-2014

"When I die (and yes, Melissa, that day will come; and yes, Melissa, everything's in your name,)" Joan wrote, referencing her only child, daughter Melissa Rivers. "I want my funeral to be a huge showbiz affair with lights, cameras, action." 

She didn't stop there, however -- Joan had every detail, from her outfit to the guests to the special touches, planned out.

PHOTOS: Joan Rivers Remembered: Celebrities, Former Costars' Photos, Tributes to Late Star

"I want Craft services, I want paparazzi and I want publicists making a scene!" she insisted. "I want it to be Hollywood all the way. I don't want some rabbi rambling on; I want Meryl Streep crying, in five different accents. I don't want a eulogy; I want Bobby Vinton to pick up my head and sing 'Mr. Lonely.' I want to look gorgeous, better dead than I do alive. I want to be buried in a Valentino gown and I want Harry Winston to make me a toe tag. And I want a wind machine so that even in the casket my hair is blowing just like Beyonce's." 

The famously talkative star also joked to Esquire in May 2007 about her last words: "My last words? They might be, 'But it was a joke. Put down the gun! It was a joke! Arrgh!'"

PHOTOS: Joan Rivers Rates Her Biggest Fashion Disasters

On aging, she quipped to The Huffington Post in January 2012, "I don't give a damn what people think. If you don't like my opinion, too bad. That's the only good thing about age." She went on to add of her hopes of reincarnation, "I would be the biggest musical comedy star ever. Audra McDonald, I wouldn't mind being her. Or Patti LuPone but with a nose job, and married to Stephen Sondheim: that would be my ideal life." 

Melissa touched on her mother's storied sense of humor in a statement about her death on Thursday. 

PHOTOS: Celebrity Deaths in 2014: Stars We've Lost

"My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh," she said. "Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."

Edited by Goldiegirl

Thank you  for the post Saint  +1  -- I have been watching the news lately to keep up  with her  progress / recovery etc - I have been gone most of today and  have not had  a chance to read the news  - I was really hoping she was improving and was going to be with  us  a few more years - I thought she was doing  okay -   She was very active and living her life  to the  fullest  up to the end  at a ripe age of 81 --  I  think most of us  would  like  to be able to follow  that type of exit -- with grace  dignity - and a legacy

Uneek,

Agree... would like to live life the fullest minus the nip and tuck.. my prayer has been that I will age gracefully :)

No offense millionaire but it's curious how everyone always says, " he or she is in a better place." Thing is, the only way someone who dies ends up in a better place is if that person has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. I don't know whether Joan was a believer or not but I hope she was. Nevertheless, she will be mIssed. I've enjoyed her snippy delivery all of my life. It's a very sad thing indeed.

Tripp :)

We never know what happens.. I believe God will give every chance He can for someone to be saved, even in the last breath.. I believe He still extends that invitation.  He doesn't want anyone to perish.. it's still a mystery to us and it's His secret :) what He reveals to us, belongs to us :)

I watched a clip on the National news last night. They were running through her career highlights. It showed her talking once about how she laughs at everything. She said, "if you don't laugh how do you get through this life".

She lived a good life. Much more than most of us I am sure. She did what she wanted, achieved what she wanted and said what she wanted and was appreciated and loved by many.  How many can say that our their life?

So many good comedians leaving us lately.