Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Tired of Being Victims, Iraqi Christians Arm Themselves to Fight ISIS; 'Talking About Jesus and Peace Is Not Enough,' They Say

DiiDii

http://www.christianpost.com/news/tired-of-being-victims-iraqi-christians-arm-themselves-to-fight-isis-talking-about-jesus-and-peace-is-not-enough-they-say-125516/

Tired of Being Victims, Iraqi Christians Arm Themselves to Fight ISIS; 'Talking About Jesus and Peace Is Not Enough,' They Say
BY LEONARDO BLAIR , CP REPORTER
August 28, 2014|11:17 am
iraq-isis.jpg(PHOTO: REUTERS)

Volunteers have joined the Iraqi army to fight against the Sunni militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Tired of being slaughtered like sheep and chased from a place they have called home for two millennia, some Christian groups in northern Iraq have decided to take up arms to defend their place in the war-torn country from the terror of ISIS.

Henry Sarkis, 44, an official with the Assyrian Patriotic Party which is one of several Assyrian political organizations in Iraq, told National Geographic that his party has armed and dispatched 40 of its members to join the Kurdish Peshmerga, the official security force of the Kurdistan Regional Government, in fighting ISIS in Iraq's northwest.

ISIS militants are using mines and IEDs to stop Peshmerga forces trying to flush them from the area, according to The Wall Street Journal's Tamer El-Ghobashy.

The last time Christians took up arms in Iraq was when they fought briefly alongside the Kurds against Saddam Hussein.

"We keep talking about Jesus and peace, and now we've reached the point where it's not enough," Sarkis told National Geographic from his party's headquarters in Dahuk, Iraq. "The age of waiting for the Peshmerga to take back territory while we sit is over. We took the decision that, with our limited abilities, we will try to participate."

Sarkis says the mostly symbolic move is the "first wave," and the group of Christian fighters have taken on the name Dukha, which means "sacrifice" in Assyrian.

WSJ

His party, says Sarkis, bought weapons with money donated by members in the diaspora and they are looking to raise more money to get more arms. Their main focus in the fight, he says, is to secure territory as the Peshmerga advances against ISIS.

Christians taking up arms in Iraq stands in stark contrast to the passive victim profile they have been known for since 2003 and is likely to make them more of a target. Sarkis, however, isn't worried as he believes embracing a fighting life is much better than accepting a passive death.

"We're being killed in our homes, so why not defend ourselves? Then even if we die, we die with dignity," he said. "We didn't want to reach this point — we just want to live in our areas."

Christians make up less than 1 percent of Iraq's population, according to the CIA, and their numbers have dwindled from about 1.5 million in 2003 to less than 500,000 today.

In Mosul, which was overrun by ISIS militants in June, Duraid Tobiya, 53, an Assyrian from the city said about 40 of the 8,000 to 10,000 Christians that once lived there still remain. And those that remain barely count. ISIS militants exempted them from an edict to convert to Islam, pay a tax or die after they were found to be too sick, too old or too poor to obey the order.

"I'm from Mosul — this is the first time I've been displaced," said Tobiya. "I lived through everything else that happened in Mosul, but it's all very different from what's happening now."

Tobiya has no faith in the Peshmerga or the Iraqi Army to protect Christians from ISIS because both forces once abandoned their duty to protect Christians and other minorities from ISIS attacks.

He now only sees two options to the problems Christians face in Iraq: "Either mass emigration or an internationally protected safe zone. We have no other options. We are against emigration, because we are not only the sons of this country but its original inhabitants."

"We must protect ourselves — and also have international protection," he said.

Contact: leonardo.blair@christianpost.com; follow me on Twitter @leoblair

• Upvote 2

Lemon
See through in the sunlight
She wore lemon
But never in the daylight

She's gonna make you cry
She's gonna make you whisper and moan
And when you're dry
She draws her water from the stone

And I feel
Like I'm slowly, slowly, slowly slipping under
And I feel
Like I'm holding onto nothing

She wore lemon
To color in the cold gray night
She had heaven
And she held on so tight

A man makes a picture
A moving picture
Through the light projected
He can see himself up close

A man captures color
A man likes to stare
He turns his money into light
To look for her

And I feel
Like I'm drifting, drifting, drifting from the shore
And I feel
Like I'm swimming out to her

Midnight is where the day begins

Lemon
See through in the sunlight

A man builds a city
With banks and cathedrals
A man melts the sand so he can
See the world outside

A man makes a car
And builds roads to run them on
A man dreams of leaving
But he always stays behind

And these are the days
When our work has come asunder
And these are the days
When we look for something other

A man makes a picture
A moving picture

A man captures color
A man likes to stare
He turns his money into light
To look for her

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

Edited by waterman13
  • Upvote 1

Now that's a cause I could contribute to.

Wonder how to start a pledge drive and then how to get them the money?

Hmmm.. would even consider taking a vacation to fly out there and lend a hand...

Yea and amen. I don't have much. It's a struggle thinking about how I am gonna pay my next VIP dues which are coming up soon. I will find a way to donate to such a cause if we can get the financial venues honestly set up.

Adam how about a installment plan, 3-4 payments for those longtime members so we can join the lifetime VIP membership? Please.

• Upvote 1

I have repeatedly said it, these stupid islamo freaks have no idea what they are dealing with.

REMEMBER THE CRUSADES.

That's gotta really pi $$ OBUMMMMMMMER's off.

Christians wit guns. LOL

PRAY FOR REVIVAL EVERYDAY

Edited by ladyGrace'sDaddy
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Can you imagine these extremist coming to your town & try and take over!

Bodies would be found all over the place! We do not lay down and wait for some fool with a gun to come in our homes and kill us! Nor would we allow them to tie us up and lead us to a pit to be shot! LOL

At some point you have to wonder WHY these people do not fight back???????????

Hmmm.. would even consider taking a vacation to fly out there and lend a hand...

I am aware of one individual who did contract security in the Middle East for about ten years who is actively soliciting former military type individuals to put together a team to do exactly that.  If circumstances were different, I'd join them.

• Upvote 1

Considering the weapons that the Iraqi Army left for ISIS when they ran from the fight. I would hate to see these people having to fight with the weapons that are in the picture. We got to help these people somehow. O's not going to do it I believe. It's terrible that we didn't leave some troops behind to make sure that this didn't go down like this.

I am aware of one individual who did contract security in the Middle East for about ten years who is actively soliciting former military type individuals to put together a team to do exactly that.  If circumstances were different, I'd join them.

PM me with their contact info, I'll be sure to delete it so no public viewing.

• Upvote 1

One thing I missed the first time I read this.  The photo.  I notice that the "children" are not armed.  That is how you tell gangs apart from those who are defending themselves.   They are defending their families.  But at this moment in time, I believe they need to know how to use them.

One thing I missed the first time I read this.  The photo.  I notice that the "children" are not armed.  That is how you tell gangs apart from those who are defending themselves.   They are defending their families.  But at this moment in time, I believe they need to know how to use them.

you need to take another look at that pic, lol, because right in the center, is a boy of about 9 or 10 with a "stockless" AK47.  :)  And that ain't no squirt gun!!!

But even so, I certainly would not call them "gangs" just because the kids are fighting.  I hate to see a "kid" in war, I"ve seen it too damn often!!  Been shot at by the little buggers too, enjoyed that even less.  :(  But no matter your age, no matter your sex, I FULLY support anyone that wants to defend themselves, their family, and their home, etc., from any kind of unwelcome invader or attacker.  I wish them well, they are gonna need it against ISIS.  Because those dudes do not play nice.  Never have.

you need to take another look at that pic, lol, because right in the center, is a boy of about 9 or 10 with a "stockless" AK47.  :)  And that ain't no squirt gun!!!

But even so, I certainly would not call them "gangs" just because the kids are fighting.  I hate to see a "kid" in war, I"ve seen it too damn often!!  Been shot at by the little buggers too, enjoyed that even less.  :(  But no matter your age, no matter your sex, I FULLY support anyone that wants to defend themselves, their family, and their home, etc., from any kind of unwelcome invader or attacker.  I wish them well, they are gonna need it against ISIS.  Because those dudes do not play nice.  Never have.

and I need better glasses, lol, my apologies to you uncirculd, you were right, lol, I am wrong.  I saw that kid, I saw the AK right beside him, just one tiny problem, lol, not his arm.  :)

Edited by blitzer

Considering the weapons that the Iraqi Army left for ISIS when they ran from the fight. I would hate to see these people having to fight with the weapons that are in the picture. We got to help these people somehow. O's not going to do it I believe. It's terrible that we didn't leave some troops behind to make sure that this didn't go down like this.

Well as a Marine I have always said, in a war scenario the only weapon I need to

begin is a simple kitchen knife. If I need a gun, or a tank I just take the enemies.

What would Jesus Christ's weapon of choice be to fight ISIS? an AK-47, M-16, RPG, Bazooka, Landmines,, flamethrower, chemicals, mustard gas, biological, nuclear bombs, cluster bombs ????

I believe his weapon of choice has been biblically stated to be,

FIRE AND BRIMSTONE FROM HEAVEN.

• Upvote 1

What would Jesus Christ's weapon of choice be to fight ISIS? an AK-47, M-16, RPG, Bazooka, Landmines,, flamethrower, chemicals, mustard gas, biological, nuclear bombs, cluster bombs ????

A Sword, The Sword of Justice, The Word of Truth, a two edged sword.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, 11 saying, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last," and, "What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea." 12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.

Wm13