Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

FEMINISM... Are You For It Or Against It?

Whatshername

Just for the record... I say and do things all the time that would get my "Modern Woman Card" pulled, shredded... and then burned!  Lol!  I'd like to know... who has the time to "have it all"?  I love men.  I don't believe in tearing men down to elevate us as women.  There's nothing wrong with traditional gender roles.  Equal opportunity... I'm all for it... as long as the family and children come first.  Feminism seems harsh... to men, to women, to children and especially to the unborn.  :twocents:  Is it about empowerment... or is it about control?  Is it possible to elevate ones self without tearing anyone else down? Would anyone like a cold beer while I'm up? ;) ;)  Just kidding... get yer own beer!  :lol:

WHN

Feminism: Are You For It or Against It?

Charlotte Hays

A new blog called Women against Feminism is getting a lot of attention.

Since we at IWF have internal debates over the meaning of feminism and whether we identify with it, I was interested in what Cathy Young had to say about the Women against Feminism blog yesterday. Cathy writes:

"While some women whose declarations are featured on the Women Against Feminism blog believe that feminism demeans women's traditional roles, many others say they embrace gender equality and female empowerment -- but believe that modern Western feminism has betrayed these principles."

"Most feminists have dismissed them as naive, misguided and ignorant about what feminism really is. But in fact, many of the criticisms offered by the rebels are remarkably astute, and addressing them could be the key to a revitalized movement for equality."

Cathy admits that many of the comments on the blog are silly, especially by younger women, who often say that they aren’t feminists because feminism belittles men. Nevertheless Cathy argues that there is truth in that criticism, citing the collective anger against men at the #YesAllWomen hashtag.

Another facet of current feminism: the rhetoric that there is a “rape culture” on campus and that the only remedy is the elimination of due process for the accused. Rape is a terrible crime and all accusations would be taken with utmost seriousness but that should not mean abrogating the right to a fair hearing for the accused.  Angry contemporary feminism simply does not recognize that a man who is accused of this crime can sometimes be innocent.

According to Cathy, feminists could profit from taking seriously the criticisms of “Women against Feminism:”

"Women against Feminism should prompt the feminist movement to reexamine its prejudices. Instead, too many feminists have responded by mocking the dissenters as stupid, ignorant man-pleasers. Ironically, in doing so, they validate another complaint often heard from the new anti-feminists: that feminism claims to speak for all women and is intolerant of different opinions."

Feminism is very much a hot topic right now, perhaps because of the importance of the female voter. While many of us see feminism as a good idea that somehow lost its way, over at The Federalist Leslie Loftis has an alternative view of feminism as a movement flawed from the start. But I found her comments on the “having it all” debate most interesting.

Feminists, as you know, find it terribly unfair that we women can’t have it all. But Loftis asks: Who does have it all?  Well, nobody. But men don’t get hung up on not being able to have it all:

Men, on the other hand, didn’t have some masculinist movement telling them that they could have it all, much less that they had to do it all on their own. Nor would they have been as receptive if they had. Unlike girls who tend to engage in pretend play in which they are the princess, then the chef, then the teacher or the pupil, all in the space of an afternoon, boys tend to also play games with rules, even if they’ve made them up by consensus. The boy who isn’t fast learns to hit the ball harder or to catch. They train each other in tradeoffs. The rules don’t bend. The boys adapt to the world the way it is. (I host large parties and play dates often. This plays out in my yard, every time.)

While this seems infinitely sensible to me, I can imagine it will raise hackles in other quarters. Discuss among yourselves.

http://womenagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/

• Upvote 7

As a  women born in the 40's and being a teenager in the 50s and sixties I have a view from those times but have also grown as a women ,wife and mom.  I was married at 19  in 1962 and thought it was my job to keep the house and mind the kids and keep my husband happy.  And you know what, it wasn't all that bad!  I loved being able to stay home with my kids until they were in  high school and I actually liked keeping my home clean and making a nice place for my family to live. My husband did his part by being a very responsible provider and a good dad. Now on  the other hand in hind site I can see where I could have made my husband be more interactive with the kids and take part in their homework and all the silly programs they had but did anyone really suffer? When my kids were old enough i went to work at part time jobs and took up golf and still kept the home fires burning. Then I worked full time because I could and enjoyed it very much. I am not the same person I was when I was 20 but I wouldn't do anything different. So bash me if will all you hard core feminists but if you ask my kids they'll tell you it was nice to have mom home at lunch and when they got home from school. And oh yea I do like and respect men. (most of them)

• Upvote 13

That’s because you ladies understand that marriage and family is a team effort.

Each person in the partnership does their job and even helps the other.

Mom or Dad no one is above the other you are one

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

• Upvote 6

But Feminism was essential in the struggle for  equality  all over the world... Nobody  gifted anything to women ( or anybody else). They had to struggle for  every right they earned. So hat off to all those women ( and men who supported them in the battle) who fought  for equal rights. And it's not over yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women%27s_Day

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

There is no stronger attraction for a man... than the allure of FEMININITY.   It is nature at work... nature at its best.   Equal rights and equal opportunity aside, being man-made and societal driven (unfortunately, not in all cultures)... are, of course, respectfully noble and essential doctrine to human evolution... and personal enlightenment...  YET, without the underlying, natural, inherent forces of nature supporting them... the NATURAL roles of "evolving" and human propagation will fall victim to a weakened blending of the sexes.  I'm all for Feminism in the role of advancement within civilized society... but it takes a back seat if it interferes and convolutes the allure, the desire, the productivity of human nature...  Women need men to be men... and Men need women to be women.  Simple.  :)  ;)  ;)

• Upvote 3

I think it's a personal choice for every woman on how they want to live their life and whether they choose to be a stay at home mom/housewife or to go out into the workforce. I don't consider this "feminism" however. It is what fits for you and your situation.

I do feel that it is a better choice to stay at home with your children when they are young so that they receive the nurturing and attention they need at that time... or if Mom wants to work and Dad wants to stay home and that fits for them then great. Just as long as they work together... and just because someone chooses to stay at home and take care of the children and home does not make them lazy which IMO has been perpetrated and pushed by this movement... This is a full time job and it requires a lot of work and they should be just as respected if not more for it than someone who has a job/career.

Nothing is really "equal" in this world and I think that the feminism movement started out with the idea that women wanted to be perceived as equals to men as well as having the same political/religious rights and being treated as such... I mean things like women not being  allowed to vote and being expected to play only a single role in this world and being looked at as being of lesser value than a man in this world was not a good thing at all, however, those things changed and I would say that the movement may have pushed it along but, I think it would have happened anyway.

Here in the U.S. it seems that now if a woman doesn't have a career and isn't bringing in tons of loot then that makes her less attractive or somehow not what society thinks she should be so, in a way I think for women overall "feminism" has it's pros and cons.

No matter what anyone believes or what stance they take on this subject it is a personal choice and although women have progressed they still aren't equal, just as no man is either and none of us (whatever our gender may be) should have to compete or change to fit someone else's idea of what we should be.

• Upvote 4

My family is a team...we even have a mottto..."Team (inset last name here)"

We all help we all contribute and we all make sure we are taking care of each others needs...day n and day out. Humor is a must.

There are women in other parts of the world that do not have this leisure. Their life is planned out for them..sometimes before they are born. And shockingly some Men too, This is something I have a problem with. We have a God given right of choice. God expects us to use this wisely. Day in and Day out, This means to teach out children to do the same...and respect others choices as well. Even if you do not agree, We all will answer for our choices and how we treat each other. Which go very closely..hand in hand a times.

For me...it all comes down to respect. To get it you must give it. Men Women or Child. Makes no difference.

Edited by SnowGlobe7
  • Upvote 7

@ Lutie... Thank you for sharing your story.  Your career as a Homemaker had value then and now as I'm sure your well-loved and cared for family contributes positively to society.  :)

@  Sentinel... Yes, shared responsibility is the ultimate!  Everything in life goes smoother when we accept our strengths... and weaknesses. 

@ dantach... Yeah, common sense... Lol!  (Served with a side of smartass!)

@ RVWITHME... Women do love compliments... I think you should try that and let us know how it turns out!  

@ umbertino... Absolutely!  Hats off to those who blazed the trail.  :tiphat:  My issue with modern feminists is similar to that of race-baiters and union workers... they're in a constant state of contention.  No sense of humor, no gratitude or appreciation for the balance conceded by their adversaries and NO end in sight to the battles ahead.  "What have you done for me lately?" is no way to live life.  Relax feminists... We're there!  Enjoy being a woman!  

@ Jaxinjersey... Right you are!  Femininity is but a weapon to a feminist.  They either downplay it to be more androgynous  :shrug:  or they complain about being objectified.  Masculinity is also under attack... young men today aren't encouraged and rewarded for being masculine.  The lines are blurring... to the detriment of society.  You can burn my "woman card" because I say... It's still a Man's World... Thank goodness... I wouldn't want it any other way!  :eyebrows:

@Djorgie... Well said!  It is a personal choice to raise a family and deserves the same respect as any other endeavor.  I've been looked down upon by "career women"... often they pretend not to understand that for me, it was a "calling".  We all sacrifice in life... my priorities are just different (not better but equal). 

@ Snowglobe... As it should be!  Go Team Snowglobe!  :)

• Upvote 6

My family is a team...we even have a mottto..."Team (inset last name here)"

We all help we all contribute and we all make sure we are taking care of each others needs...day n and day out. Humor is a must.

There are women in other parts of the world that do not have this leisure. Their life is planned out for them..sometimes before they are born. And shockingly some Men too, This is something I have a problem with. We have a God given right of choice. God expects us to use this wisely. Day in and Day out, This means to teach out children to do the same...and respect others choices as well. Even if you do not agree, We all will answer for our choices and how we treat each other. Which go very closely..hand in hand a times.

For me...it all comes down to respect. To get it you must give it. Men Women or Child. Makes no difference.

Great Post SnowGlobe... Completely Agreed... Somehow I was Able To Give You A Double +. :)

Our Family's Motto Is:  We Believe In... Hands That Work ~ Minds That Think ~ Hearts That Love.

As For "Feminism"??? Personally I don't care to label myself nor anyone else... So I have no stance on "for or against".

I do of course very much agree with you that everyone should have respect and the right to live up to their full potential.

That has always been a "progression in progress"... and I hope we would all have the desire to strive for more in that regard.

JMHO

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for all the comments, especially those who give value to respect and honor for the choices we make. Men and women are equal partners in this adventure called life, yet we are not equal in every area - gender roles are defined by The Creator. The world gets in trouble when we try to define what roles should be for others. I could write a book, but it's wise to stop here. Many of you have stated truth and value very well...! I've given away a bunch of (+1's).....Blessings, RON  :tiphat: 

• Upvote 3

Well that depends. What does it make me?  I run my own house.  I do all the things a man and women do.  I do more than most men on my street.  I cut the grass, I cook pretty good meals, I'm a bit of a techie computer geek, I do laundry, I do landscaping,  I repair my decks and fence and I hang out in the lumber area in home depot occasionally.  I'm learning to do electrical. :backflip:

I just bought my first Dewalt drill/driver on sale a Lowes (made in the USA by the way) and whole bunch of drill and screw driver thingy's yesterday and I'm learning to use it. :D

I look fabulous in a dress and heels..!!!  :P

Is that feminism or just a really smart girl?  ;)

Do I get to keep my women card?

Edited by Goldiegirl
  • Upvote 4

Well that depends. What does it make me?  I run my own house.  I do all the things a man and women do.  I do more than most men on my street.  I cut the grass, I cook pretty good meals, I'm a bit of a techie computer geek, I do laundry, I do landscaping,  I repair my decks and fence and I hang out in the lumber area in home depot occasionally.  I'm learning to do electrical. :backflip:

I just bought my first Dewalt drill/driver on sale a Lowes (made in the USA by the way) and whole bunch of drill and screw driver thingy's yesterday and I'm learning to use it. :D

I look fabulous in a dress and heels..!!!  :P

Is that feminism or just a really smart girl?  ;)

Do I get to keep my women card?

If you put that new drill/driver to use while wearing that fabulous dress and heels..........then I say "YES"....keep your card, G.   :eyebrows:

GO RV, and NO BV 

• Upvote 2

Im with you on this one Goldie.  Im the same way. Not necessarily by choice but by necessity.

The men in my life have never been handy (my dad, ex-husband). So I was left with no choice but to learn to do it myself.

It has'nt been easy for me but when you cant afford to pay for things to get done you have learn to do them yourself.

I take care of a lot of things more than I'd care to.  Hoping that some day I'll be able to get help.

Its made me very strong and conscientious about life.

And after all of that I still look good in high heals too..... :lol:

• Upvote 2

My attributes go much further than a DD. That being said, bring ME a cold beer. I hate it when men see that and nothing else. I applaud men who can look above ( literally ) the attributes on my itty-bitty chest and see that I am worth something. :twothumbs: 

Sorry.....lost me at that whole chest part.   :D 

GO RV, and NO BV

• Upvote 1