Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US Ebola victims to be treated at sophisticated facility in Atlanta

umbertino

• Two Americans will be taken to Emory University hospital

• Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol caught disease in Liberia

When two US aid workers sick with Ebola arrive in Atlanta from Africa, they will be whisked into one of the most sophisticated hospital isolation units in the country.

Dr Kent Brantly of Texas and Nancy Writebol, a missionary from North Carolina, contracted Ebola while responding to the outbreak in Liberia. On Friday Emory University hospital said the patients remained in serious condition, but both were “safe to transport”.

One of the Americans is due to arrive at the unit at Emory University hospital on Saturday. The second is expected to arrive a few days later for treatment. It will be the first time anyone infected with Ebola is brought into the country. US officials are confident they can be treated without putting the public in any danger.

Liberia is one of the three West African countries coping with the largest Ebola outbreak in history.

In the four decades since the Ebola virus was first identified in Africa, treatment has not changed much. There are no licensed drugs or vaccines for the deadly disease.

Some are being developed, but none have been rigorously tested in humans. One experimental treatment was tried this week on one of the American aid workers sick with Ebola, according to the US-based group that she works for in Liberia.

Without a specific treatment, doctors and nurses focus on easing the disease’s symptoms – fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhoea – and on keeping patients hydrated and comfortable.

The outbreak in three West African countries – Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone – has sickened more than 1,300 people and more than 700 have died since March.

4e51958c-3758-4377-b2c0-d5bdc715a56d-460

An isolation unit at Emory University in Atlanta where American Ebola sufferers will be treated. Officials say the public will not be in danger. Photograph: Handout/Reuters

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/02/us-ebola-victims-facility-atlanta-emory-university

I heard this on the news yesterday. I'm not sure this is a good idea bringing it over to NA.  I heard that it takes weeks for symptoms to surface and anyone coming with them could potentially spread the disease here.

I feel terrible for these missionaries that they have contracted this and can respect the work they do, but they put themselves in danger knowing this is all possible.

They are sure the public are not in danger.  I"m not so sure. They couldn't stop the SARS that came to Canada and they knew how it was getting here.

• Upvote 1

I will be going back to Emory next week for another Chemo Treatment. It is a wonderful facility. Also nice is that the CDC Headquarters is also in Atlanta.

It's my understanding that they will be treated at a special facility not at the Main Campus of Emory or Emory Midtown but close by.  I will talk with some of the staff up there and try to figure out where the facility is located and their status.

We keep them in our prayers.

• Upvote 3

I will be going back to Emory next week for another Chemo Treatment. It is a wonderful facility. Also nice is that the CDC Headquarters is also in Atlanta.

It's my understanding that they will be treated at a special facility not at the Main Campus of Emory or Emory Midtown but close by.  I will talk with some of the staff up there and try to figure out where the facility is located and their status.

We keep them in our prayers.

Grazie djgabrielie. Best wishes to you.

I heard this on the news yesterday. I'm not sure this is a good idea bringing it over to NA.  I heard that it takes weeks for symptoms to surface and anyone coming with them could potentially spread the disease here.

I feel terrible for these missionaries that they have contracted this and can respect the work they do, but they put themselves in danger knowing this is all possible.

They are sure the public are not in danger.  I"m not so sure. They couldn't stop the SARS that came to Canada and they knew how it was getting here.

I would agree with you IF the two coming back to the USA did not know they were infected and were in contact with the general public.  However, these individuals know that they have the virus and are not taking any chances to further spread the disease. They were isolated in Liberia, they will be isolated in Atlanta, and treated in isolation.  It seems to be a mute point, for the two arrived in Atlanta today.

His wife, Amber, and the children returned to their home in Fort Worth, Texas, while he remained in quarantine fighting for his life. 

I received an email on Sunday to be in prayer for them and their families.  

Both are power children of God and have demonstrated their faith by what they are doing.  Pray for their faith to remain strong during this time of trouble.  

• Upvote 2

Well, I feel for these poor people and I pray for their healing...

I don't think it was a good idea to bring them back to the U.S. because that in and of itself allows for the chance of the spread of this virus to the U.S. and that is concerning to a point. I do agree that because they "know" they have the virus and precautions are being taken that the risk is reduced but, you never know for sure with this kind of thing. Remember, a doctor already died of the virus so, it is a risk that people take for the sake of helping/saving others.

Edited by Djorgie
  • Upvote 1

Map Of Ebola Quarantine Stations: Here’s Where They’ll Send Those Suspected of Ebola or “Respiratory Illnesses”
Posted on August 2, 2014 by Mac Slavo

cdc-communicable-disease.jpg

Despite concerns around the globe that the Ebola virus may continue to spread and mutate into something even more deadly, the director of the CDC attempted to assuage fears about the possibility of an outbreak on U.S. soil.

“It is not a potential of Ebola spreading widely in the U.S.,” director Thomas Friedman told reporters on a conference call Thursday. “That is not in the cards.”

But while the CDC downplays the potential threat, emergency planners behind the scenes have been getting ready since as early as April of this year. In a report presented to Congress while the virus was spreading in West Africa, the Department of Defense said that it has dispatched biological detection kits to National Guard units in all 50 states with the capability of diagnosing the virus in infected patients in as little as 30 minutes.

And, in a move that raised some eyebrows yesterday morning, President Obama amended a 2003 Executive Order that gives the Federal government, as noted by Paul Joseph Watson, the power to “mandate the apprehension and detention of Americans who merely show signs of respiratory illness.”

Although Ebola was listed on the original
executive order
signed by Bush, Obama’s amendment ensures that 
Americans who merely show signs of respiratory illness
, with the exception of influenza, can be forcibly detained by medical authorities.

Though the government and media are doing everything in their power to keep the panic to a minimum, going so far as to suggest that the possibility of Ebola spreading in the United States is almost non-existent, the fact that over 750 people in six West African countries have died from the virus suggests otherwise.

Even the World Health Organization recently claimed that the virus is out of control and all attempts to contain it thus far have failed.

Michael Snyder’s recent analysis on what is going to happen if Ebola comes to America sheds some light on how the government might behave. Though Obama didn’t sign the Executive Order allowing for the rounding up and detention of Americans suspected of respiratory illnesses until yesterday, Snyder correctly pointed out just 48 hours before the order that “isolation would not be a voluntary thing.”

The federal government would start hunting down anyone that they “reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease” and taking them to the facilities where other patients were being held. 
 It wouldn’t matter if you were entirely convinced that you were 100% healthy.  If the government wanted to take you in, you would have no rights in that situation.  In fact, federal law would allow the government to detain you “for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary”.

And once you got locked up with all of the other Ebola patients, there would be a pretty good chance that you would end up getting the disease and dying anyway.

It turns out that not only is the government prepared to identify, isolate and detain potentially contagious individuals, but they already have the facilities in place.

According to the Centers for Disease Control there are twenty (20) quarantine centers actively prepared to accept patients as of this writing.

The following map provided by the CDC shows where these centers are located.

CDC-quarantine-stations.jpg

President Obama’s recently updated Executive Order gives the organization the authorization to detain anyone suspected of having been infected with a contagious disease.

CDC has the legal authority to detain any person who may have an
infectious disease
that is specified by Executive Order to be quarantinable.

Such “quarantinable” diseases may include Cholera, Smallpox, Plague, SARS, Hemorrhagic fevers (like Ebola), and now even “respiratory illnesses” that may have symptoms similar to those of deadly viruses.

It was no accident that President Obama added the Executive Order amendment. They can downplay the seriousness of Ebola all they want, but the fact is that hundreds of medical workers, including the World Health Organization, have failed to contain its spread.

In anticipation of the virus hitting U.S. shores, President Obama has set the legal authorization to essentially declare martial law in stone. The U.S. military, including the National Guard, also has contingency plans in place.

The minute this virus is detected in “the wild” on U.S. soil these directives will be executed.

Though what happens next is unpredictable, preparing for a pandemic ahead of time may be the best way to not only avoid contracting a deadly virus, but staying out of a government run quarantine station.

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 2

Oh, you can't catch it, only if you come into contact with the bodily fluids (blood).  Also there is no known cure.  So they are bringing these two people into the United States with a virus that has no cure.  So, the get them healthy and say, they're healed.  They go home still carrying the virus in their body, and they get bit by a mosquito, who turns around and bites someone else and infects that person.  So you all see what happens...

-

• Upvote 2

It should be noted that these people never broke quarantine procedures. At all times

they were in full NBC mock up. And still they were infected with the deadliest disease

know to man. This strongly suggest that Ebola, a virus normally spread by bodily

fluids , has become airborne. To make the comments about containment that the

CDC has been making is comparable to the arrogance of stating the Titanic was

unsinkable. I guarantee you that this disease will escape and spread throughout

America.

• Upvote 4

Nelg, who is coming back with them? Who is flying the plane? Who is tending to them while they are in the plane on that really long flight?

I hope and pray for them to the but risk to North America is huge.

The pilots and crew will not be in contact with the patients.  They will be kept in isolation, boarded in isolation, fly in isolation chambers, and disembark in isolation.  Plus, they will be kept in isolation while in Atlanta. 

"Why couldn't the doctors fly to Liberia and treat them?"  Because Liberia does not have the equipment or personnel to handle the situation.  Research, medication, testing, all need to be done and it may be several months for the patients to be released.  And, this must be kept in mind, they may never be released.  Death is a very real possibility.   We can't do much but debate the problem, but we can and should be praying for the families of these two, as well as the comfort and strength that God will give to them during this ordeal. Please pray.  

If the Ebola virus enters the country, it will come from a suicide terrorist with a vial of blood, or intentionally infected in their own body with the virus, and then entering this country at our open boarders.  That scares me more than the bringing these know cases back in total isolation.  I pray that this never happens.  

• Upvote 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAK6oX-JN4

Judge Jeanine Asks The Tough Questions About Ebola!

Thanks Butifldrm! This Doctor agrees, WHY are they bringing this patient here?

This is complete insanity. The Lame stream Media has Doctors and Experts lining up that have all the answers… BULLSH##T.

My Daughter had corrective surgery for Scoliosis several years ago. One of the five top surgeons in the world did the procedure. While installing the rods to straighten her back they accidentally cracked one of her vertebrae when installing the screws. This created a leak in her spinal fluid tract leading to loss of spinal fluid and all sorts of complications ranging from nausea, dizziness, vomiting and low pressure headaches where the brain actually sags in the skull from lack of fluid.

This doctor DENIED creating this complication and DENIES it till this day.

My Daughter actually diagnosed it herself. She then spent two months in the hospital with a drain in her back to relieve the pressure so the wound would heal.

My point is this, that these Doctors and Experts have become so smart, that they have become so stupid. Why are they even taking the risk?  I’m sorry for those victims of the disease, but it’s still irresponsible to bring it onto the North American continent. The State Dept. actually facilitated the patient Transfer. I trust this Guberment of ours about as far as I can throw em and now they’re talking about detaining anybody with symptoms? Symptoms of what, a cold? You really have got to be kidding me! God help us!

• Upvote 1

I read that his wife and children left for the US before he showed any symptoms. She was living there with them and that outbreak and she brought herself back here.

Was she tested when she got off the plane?  Is anyone who comes from those countries tested before they get on the plane and possibly contaminate others?  She's living back in Texas. Who knows what she brought back.  Who knows what was passed on to others on that plane that have gone to other parts of the USA or the world.

I also read that the doctor who died and these 2 Americans who contracted it were wearing hazmat suits and taking precausions and they still got it.   The CDC and the US gov't just wanted an excuse to experiment with this virus.

You can bet that they have taken vials of their blood and body fluids and have it in their labs so they can test it for years to come. Only so that it can be used to create deadly warfare one day. 

The CDC and the US gov't wanting to help them?  I call BS on the whole fiasco trying to save him.

• Upvote 3

Everyone has their opinions on this, as always.  You may or may not be correct.  We can "borrow trouble" by our speculations as to what is going to happen.  Should we take the risk of bringing them back to the US?  Your guess is as good as mine.  And whatever we guess is just that, a guess. 

I have taken over 35 medical teams to mission points over the past 24 years to deal with surgery, medical problems, eye problems, you name it, we dealt with it.  Some diseases of which there is no name; or at least we did not know what the disease was were treating.  Some medical personnel get sick on every trip; mostly with just stomach problems.  We had one doctor with flu like symptoms and had 104 temperature on the trip home.  I even got sick two years ago and had to stay in the hotel for three days with fever and diarrhea.  Those are some of the risks one takes when going to foreign countries and working with the sick and ill from among the populous.  But with a known disease and infection of this magnitude and which could become pandemic, I am grateful that the medical community has taken strong and vital precautionary steps to eliminate any spread of the virus.  

Don't get caught up in the media hype and the conspiracy twists to the event; especially the conspiracy theories.  Those are more dangerous than the virus.  JMO.     

• Upvote 2

Everyone has their opinions on this, as always.  You may or may not be correct.  We can "borrow trouble" by our speculations as to what is going to happen.  Should we take the risk of bringing them back to the US?  Your guess is as good as mine.  And whatever we guess is just that, a guess. 

I have taken over 35 medical teams to mission points over the past 24 years to deal with surgery, medical problems, eye problems, you name it, we dealt with it.  Some diseases of which there is no name; or at least we did not know what the disease was were treating.  Some medical personnel get sick on every trip; mostly with just stomach problems.  We had one doctor with flu like symptoms and had 104 temperature on the trip home.  I even got sick two years ago and had to stay in the hotel for three days with fever and diarrhea.  Those are some of the risks one takes when going to foreign countries and working with the sick and ill from among the populous.  But with a known disease and infection of this magnitude and which could become pandemic, I am grateful that the medical community has taken strong and vital precautionary steps to eliminate any spread of the virus.  

Don't get caught up in the media hype and the conspiracy twists to the event; especially the conspiracy theories.  Those are more dangerous than the virus.  JMO.     

If this is nothing more than a media-induced scare tactic, it seems to be a darned good one.

Just look at some of these newer headlines:

Tennessee Doctor In Self-Quarantine On Return From Liberia Ebola Hotspot

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-03/tennessee-doctor-self-quarantine-return-liberia-ebola-hotspot

Morocco: Liberian dies in Morocco of Ebola - Internal Affairs Minister discloses

http://www.news.heritageliberia.net/index.php/inside-heritage/health/3583-liberian-dies-in-morocco-of-ebola-internal-affairs-minister-discloses London: Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051

Even JC Collins is getting into the act: Global Pandemic and Quarantine

http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2014/08/02/global-pandemic-and-quarantine/

all I have to say is the World's most renowned Doctor Scientist has been one of the most recent victims.  So if he did not know how to protect himself, as of avoiding bodily fluid contact, there might be more to this story than we know.  He of all people should have understood the risks.  Virus's mutate, this particular strain seems to be virulent and needs to be watched as to modem of transfer.

Sheik Umar Khan, top Ebola doctor, dies from virus after treating dozens
2 U.S. aid workers also said to be in grave condition after contracting virus in Liberia

The Associated Press Posted: Jul 29, 2014 3:28 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 29, 2014 6:11 PM ET

Deadly Ebola outbreak spreading through West Africa 3:35

•  

A leading virologist who risked his own life to treat dozens of Ebola patients died Tuesday from the disease, officials said, as a major regional airline announced it was suspending flights to the cities hardest hit by an outbreak that has killed more than 670 people.

Dr. Sheik Umar Khan, who was praised as a national hero for treating the disease in Sierra Leone, was confirmed dead by health ministry officials there. He had been hospitalized in quarantine.

Health workers have been especially vulnerable to contracting Ebola, which is spread through bodily fluids such as saliva, sweat, blood and urine. Two American health workers are currently hospitalized with Ebola in neighbouring Liberia. 

The Ebola outbreak is the largest in history with deaths blamed on the disease not only in Sierra Leone and Liberia, but also Guinea and Nigeria. The disease has no vaccine and no specific treatment, with a fatality rate of at least 60 percent. 

Sheik Umar Khan, who was the head doctor fighting the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone, had treated more than 100 victims before getting the deadly disease himself. He died July 29. (Umaru Fofana/Reuters)

Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the Liberia Airport Authority board, said police are now present at the airport in Monrovia to enforce screening of passengers.

"So if you have a flight and you are not complying with the rules, we will not allow you to board."

In a statement released Tuesday, Asky Airlines said it was temporarily halting flights not only to Monrovia — the capital of Liberia — but also to Freetown, Sierra Leone. Flights will continue to the capital of the third major country where people have died — Guinea — though passengers departing from there will be "screened for signs of the virus."

Passengers at the airline's hub in Lome, Togo also will be screened by medical teams, it said. 

"Asky is determined to keep its passengers and staff safe during this unsettling time," the statement said.

The suspension comes after Patrick Sawyer, a 40-year-old American man of Liberian descent who worked for the West African nation's Finance Ministry, died Friday in Nigeria after taking several flights on Asky Airlines. At the time, Liberian authorities said they had not been requiring health checks of departing passengers in Monrovia.

His travels have caused widespread fear at a time when the outbreak shows no signs of slowing in West Africa, where medical facilities are scarce and where some affected communities have in panic attacked the international health workers trying to help them. 

Health workers scrambling

Sawyer's sister had died of Ebola though he maintained he had not had close physical contact with her when she was sick. He took an Asky Airlines flight from Liberia to Ghana, then on to Togo and eventually to Nigeria where he was immediately taken into quarantine until his death.

Now, health workers are scrambling to trace those who may have been exposed to Sawyer across West Africa, including flight attendants and fellow passengers. 

ebola-outbreak-west-africa.jpg

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February, putting strain on a string of weak health systems facing one of the world's deadliest diseases. (Tommy Trenchard/Reuters)

At the Finance Ministry where Sawyer worked, officials announced they were temporarily shutting down operations. All employees who came into contact with Sawyer before he left for Nigeria were being placed under surveillance, it said.

Health experts say it is unlikely he could have infected others with the virus that can cause victims to bleed from the eyes, mouth and ears. Still, unsettling questions remain: how could a man whose sister recently died from Ebola manage to board a plane leaving the country? And worse: could Ebola become the latest disease to be spread by international air travel?

The World Health Organization is awaiting laboratory confirmation after Nigerian health authorities said Sawyer tested positive for Ebola, WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said. The WHO has not recommended any travel restrictions since the outbreak came to light.

"We would have to consider any travel recommendations very carefully, but the best way to stop this outbreak is to put the necessary measures in place at the source of infection," Hartl said. Closing borders "might help, but it won't be exhaustive or foolproof."

Risk to travellers low
health-ebola-africa.jpg

Medical staff working with Doctors Without Borders prepare to bring food to patients kept in an isolation area at an Ebola treatment centre in Kailahun, Sierra Leone. The Ebola outbreak has killed almost 700 people. (Tommy Trenchard/Reuters)

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a Level 2 travel alert, warning travellers to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea to "avoid contact with blood and body fluids of infected people to protect themselves."

The risk of travellers contracting Ebola is considered low because it requires direct contact with bodily fluids or secretions such as urine, blood, sweat or saliva, experts say. Ebola can't be spread like flu through casual contact or breathing in the same air.

Patients are contagious only once the disease has progressed to the point they show symptoms, according to the WHO. And the most vulnerable are health care workers and relatives who come in much closer contact with the sick.

Still, witnesses say Sawyer was vomiting and had diarrhea aboard at least one of his flights with some 50 other passengers aboard. Ebola can be contracted from traces of feces or vomit, experts say.

Sawyer was immediately quarantined upon arrival in Lagos — a city of 21 million people — and Nigerian authorities say his fellow travellers were advised of Ebola's symptoms and then were allowed to leave. The incubation period can be as long as 21 days, meaning anyone infected may not fall ill for several weeks.

'Contact tracing'

Health officials rely on "contact tracing" — locating anyone who may have been exposed, and then anyone who may have come into contact with that person. That may prove impossible, given that other passengers journeyed on to dozens of other cities.

Patrick Sawyer had planned to visit his family in Minnesota next month to attend two of his three daughters' birthdays, his wife, Decontee Sawyer, told KSTP-TV in Minnesota.

Two American aid workers in Liberia have tested positive for the virus and are being treated there. Both had been working with a Christian group, and are described as being in "grave" condition.

Nigerians on edge

Meanwhile, the mere prospect of Ebola in Africa's most populous nation has Nigerians on edge.

It's an unprecedented public health scenario. Since 1976, when the virus was first discovered, Ebola outbreaks were limited to remote corners of Congo and Uganda, far from urban centres, and stayed within the borders of a single country. This time, cases first emerged in Guinea, and before long hundreds of others were stricken in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

nigeria-ebola.jpg

The deadly Ebola outbreak has spread to Africa's most populous nation after Liberian official Patrick Sawyer vomited aboard an airplane to Nigeria and then died there, officials said Friday. (Sunday Alamba/Associated Press)

Those are some of the poorest countries in the world, with few doctors and nurses to treat sick patients let alone determine who is well enough to travel. In Sawyer's case, it appears nothing was done to question him until he fell sick on his second flight with Asky Airlines. An airline spokesman would not comment on what precautions were being taken in the aftermath of Sawyer's journey.

International travellers departing from the capitals of Sierra Leone and Guinea are also being checked for signs of fever, airport officials said. Buckets of chlorine are also on hand at Sierra Leone's airport in Freetown for disinfection, authorities said.

Still, detecting Ebola in departing passengers might be tricky, since its initial symptoms are similar to many other diseases, including malaria and typhoid fever.

"It will be very difficult now to contain this outbreak because it's spread," Heymann said. "The chance to stop it quickly was months ago before it crossed borders ... but this can still be stopped if there is good hospital infection control, contact tracing and collaboration between countries."

Nigerian authorities so far have identified 59 people who came into contact with Sawyer and have tested 20, said Lagos State Health Commissioner Jide Idris. He said there have been no new cases of the disease.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sheik-umar-khan-top-ebola-doctor-dies-from-virus-after-treating-dozens-1.2721049

With files from CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sheik-umar-khan-top-ebola-doctor-dies-from-virus-after-treating-dozens-1.2721049

Edited by Butifldrm
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Butifldrm. I think there is much more to all of this and those that might have been exposed. More is going to show up in the coming weeks. Originally I read there was a 2 -3 day incubation period. Now your article says 21 days.

Who knows who has spread that virus from traveling from those areas to other parts of the world.

You are also correct in your beginning statement. If a world renowned doctor got this and died, then how are the ones in the USA going to control this?

Edited by Goldiegirl
  • Upvote 2

Thank you Butifldrm. I think there is much more to all of this and those that might have been exposed. More is going to show up in the coming weeks. Originally I read there was a 2 -3 day incubation period. Now your article says 21 days.

Who knows who has spread that virus from traveling from those areas to other parts of the world.

You are also correct in your beginning statement. If a world renowned doctor got this and died, then how are the ones in the USA going to control this?

YW Goldiegirl.  This particular segment of the article is quite alarming, if true!

The suspension comes after Patrick Sawyer, a 40-year-old American man of Liberian descent who worked for the West African nation's Finance Ministry, died Friday in Nigeria after taking several flights on Asky Airlines. At the time, Liberian authorities said they had not been requiring health checks of departing passengers in Monrovia.

His travels have caused widespread fear at a time when the outbreak shows no signs of slowing in West Africa, where medical facilities are scarce and where some affected communities have in panic attacked the international health workers trying to help them. 

Health workers scrambling

Sawyer's sister had died of Ebola though he maintained he had not had close physical contact with her when she was sick. He took an Asky Airlines flight from Liberia to Ghana, then on to Togo and eventually to Nigeria where he was immediately taken into quarantine until his death.

Now, health workers are scrambling to trace those who may have been exposed to Sawyer across West Africa, including flight attendants and fellow passengers. 

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/183582-us-ebola-victims-to-be-treated-at-sophisticated-facility-in-atlanta/#ixzz39OD3sOvP

One thing truly bothers me about all of this... the mindset of the afflicted patients themselves.   Did they have a choice in the matter of coming back to the US?   Had it been me, I would have declined the trip home, simply due to the risk of releasing the virus upon an entire continent... even if told that risk was minimal.   Minimal is still too much...  Yes, I know it's harsh, and difficult to judge others' behavior... but many, many more have sacrificed themselves for much, much less.   How could a person be that selfish toward so many?    There must be more to this story... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If this is nothing more than a media-induced scare tactic, it seems to be a darned good one.

Just look at some of these newer headlines:

Tennessee Doctor In Self-Quarantine On Return From Liberia Ebola Hotspot

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-03/tennessee-doctor-self-quarantine-return-liberia-ebola-hotspot

Morocco: Liberian dies in Morocco of Ebola - Internal Affairs Minister discloses

http://www.news.heritageliberia.net/index.php/inside-heritage/health/3583-liberian-dies-in-morocco-of-ebola-internal-affairs-minister-discloses London: Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051

Even JC Collins is getting into the act: Global Pandemic and Quarantine

http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2014/08/02/global-pandemic-and-quarantine/

Don't get me wrong, this is a terrible virus and the US should be extremely careful. ALL precautions should be diligently put into place to eliminate any spread of the Ebola virus.  These things have been put into place with the two people who are now in Atlanta.  Even the doctor who had worked at the same location "self-quarantined" himself and he had NO symptoms of Ebola.  In the other two cases, the individuals did not know that they had been infected.  NO precautions were taken in the accounts sited.  

To eliminate ALL possibilities of infectious disease entering into this country would require the total ban on all foreign travel by citizens  in the US, the closing of our boarders to all foreign travelers coming into this country, ending all military deployment to any country,  elimination of all mission activity by any groups outside our boarders, bringing all government ambassadors back home and send all foreign ambassadors from other countries back home.  This would be totally unacceptable by discerning individuals.  

The new media needs a crisis for them to exist.  If they don't have one they search until they find one.  Then they hype it up until excitement is generated . . . and their ratings go us.  But with this Ebola virus fear is already built in. We need to be extremely cautions, but not go overboard.  

The reason I mentioned "conspiracy" is that someone suggested that the US was doing this on purpose to bring the virus to this country.  Poppy-cock! Or, as some of you say, BS.  The government is not going to do that.  Not on purpose.  

Again, Dr. Khan did not know he had the virus.  Had he known, the situation might have been handled differently. He may have exposed several people.  

Dr. Brantly KNEW that he had the virus and took appropriate action, continues to take appropriate action, and so are the experts in Atlanta.  

If Ebola gets into this country it will be by someone who has no idea that he/she is infected.  Or, it will be purposely brought in by a suicidal terrorist.   

• Upvote 2

One thing truly bothers me about all of this... the mindset of the afflicted patients themselves.   Did they have a choice in the matter of coming back to the US?   Had it been me, I would have declined the trip home, simply due to the risk of releasing the virus upon an entire continent... even if told that risk was minimal.   Minimal is still too much...  Yes, I know it's harsh, and difficult to judge others' behavior... but many, many more have sacrificed themselves for much, much less.   How could a person be that selfish toward so many?    There must be more to this story... 

The mindset of Dr. Brantley is totally unselfish.  He would have stayed in East Africa and died there.  He knew the risk, the possibilities, and the sacrifice, still he went to help others.  He is a dedicated husband, father, and Christian with a heart to serve others.  He did that and is paying the consequences.  

What you are doing is passing censorious judgment upon someone that you do not know. To question the advisability of his return to the US is one thing, but to call his "selfish" and question his motivation and character is quit another.   

• Upvote 3

The mindset of Dr. Brantley is totally unselfish.  He would have stayed in East Africa and died there.  He knew the risk, the possibilities, and the sacrifice, still he went to help others.  He is a dedicated husband, father, and Christian with a heart to serve others.  He did that and is paying the consequences.  

What you are doing is passing censorious judgment upon someone that you do not know. To question the advisability of his return to the US is one thing, but to call his "selfish" and question his motivation and character is quit another.   

His mindset to his unselfish service is not in question.   It's in his decision to return, potentially putting all his selfless hard work at risk...  possibly by infecting more people than he is helping.   As you stated... paying the consequences... is his noble gesture.

• Upvote 3