Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki urges President Massoum to choose him as PM

Articles are all over the map with this PM business.  Makes you wonder why they are putting out so much "propaganda"...Doesn't it?  Maybe it's just me who questions all this hype because I've always been a "why" person.

Another week to wait and see. Think I'll make up a batch of Margarita's and go sit by the pool. :D

Amen my friend.  I have decided on a "let's wait and see" strategy in all of this.  We will know by mid August.

HUSAIN: World’s grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani

In an unprecedented move, six of the world’s top grand ayatollahs have voiced public support for Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Sistani and his handling of the ongoing crisis in Iraq. For any grand ayatollah to comment on the activities of another is rare, and for six of them to publicly support the specific activities of any one grand ayatollah is history in the making. Specifically, the grand ayatollahs have insisted that Ayatollah Sistani be followed in all political matters, indirectly referencing the latter’s calls for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to either step down or be voted out of his position.

The six Shiite grand ayatollahs are Sheikh Vaheed Khorasani, Sayyid Muhammad Saeed al-Hakim, Sheikh Basheer al-Najafi, Sheikh Ishaq Fayyadh, Sheikh Safi Golpaygani, and Sheikh Nassir Makarim Shirazi. The title “Sayyid” implies ancestry tracing back to Islam’s Prophet Muhammad, whereas “Sheikh” indicates a “normal” lineage. In Shiite practice, all religious scholars are referred to by either title, and “Grand Ayatollah” is a partial translation of the phrase “Marja e Taqleed” (literally: source of emulation). All Shiites are obliged to follow a grand ayatollah for religious matters.

The level of public backing indicates not only widespread support for Ayatollah Sistani, but just as importantly, immense dissatisfaction with the prime minister. In the Shiite world, Mr. al-Maliki is believed to have largely contributed to the current crisis, and the rise of the “Islamic State.” Expressing the Shia community’s irritation with the sectarian policies of the Iraqi leader (who is also a Shiite), the grand ayatollahs have turned to Sistani to have the politician removed from office, albeit through the rule of law, rather than any sort of uprising.

Ayatollah Sistani popularly called for Iraq to function as a democracy wherein each citizen was entitled to a vote, famously rejecting alternative styles of government. He also had a hand in influencing the country’s constitution, favoring an inclusive government. That Mr. al-Maliki is believed to have pursued a sectarian agenda, despite publicly supporting Ayatollah Sistani, has greatly disappointed the grand ayatollah, according to reports. Acting in response, Sistani issued a statement calling for politicians to “not cling to power,” taking the wind out of Mr. al-Maliki’s attempts for a third term as prime minister.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/31/husain-worlds-grand-ayatollahs-rally-behind-sistan/

• Upvote 3

This campaign to arrest him and put him on trial I am hoping is the key.  Arrest him and get him out of the way.  He should have already lost his immunity and he is usurping his powers.  This guy is saving his skin as President.  I don't blame him for them trying to put it off on him.  Time is of the essence right now.  If it comes down to being too late, then if maliki is not picked up and arrested, then he will not pick a PM and will resign.  It's always something will diehards.  They live longer in order to inflict misery.  Simply a shame.

Adam,

Isn't there term limits in their constitution that 'should' not allow M to stay in power? ?

With all this complaining about what their constitution says,picking and choosing , shouldn't that also be important?

The Iraqi Supreme Court ruled the term limit law unconstitutional about this time last year

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-court-blocks-term-limits-prime-minister-113932240.html;_ylt=AwrSbmd189tTFicAZ0RXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzODJyMHF1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQzNF8x

I'D LIKE TO POST MY OWN COMMENTARY ON THIS...SO HERE YA GO:

Iraqi President threatens to resign as Prime Minister stalemate ensues

1. Why would this article need to be written unless Massoum, was prompted to address the tension and conflicts regarding the PM nomination. By speaking to the press (if in fact, he did) he's saying "I'm the man and I'm going to handle this with graciousness for my people AND authority".  

Radu 16 hrs ago

Baghdad, Iraq--the newly elected President Fouad Massoum in Iraq by the country's Parliament that
he would resign if the failure of the parties to nominate a candidate for Prime Minister.

2. IF Massoum had full intentions of supporting Maliki for the PM'ship - he would a) not be making this announcement and B) I believe he's pressing the blocs to figure it out - without hinderences and one of those would absolutely be Maliki's intimidation. 

Masoom said representatives "elected President by all Iraqi factions,". "And never nominated anyone for the Prime Minister without the consent and blessing of all parties."

3. Massoum is clearly stating that he intends to support an harmonious outcome - for the good of all - this would not include supporting, or presenting Maliki for the PM'ship - there's way too much international pressure to change the government. And, there's also a great deal of internal/Iraqi pressure to change the PM as well - from the Religious authorities as well as all Sunni factions - and including the terrorists - who have stated in more than one article/announcement - that their primary objective is to rid the country of Maliki and his sectarian smack down of innocent peoples. 

And he warned: "if I'm pressed to nominate a candidate, I will not hesitate to step down."

4. This is yet another "I'm the big boss on the block - no one will intimidate me to present them as the nominee for PM, it will be someone whom we all feel relatively comfortable with electing."

RADO learned that Iraq's Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had called on him to nominate infallible ("INFALLIBLE IS MASSOUM) because it represents the largest coalition in the Parliament. " - THIS SENTENCE IS VERY "OFF" DUE TO TRANSLATION ISSUES.

Reportedly rejected the call for Al-Maliki, the President said he would use his presidential powers to nominate anyone without clear support from all Iraqi factions. "

5. THIS SENTENCE IS A DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THE SECOND SENTENCE OF THIS ARTICLE: "Masoom said representatives "elected President by all Iraqi factions,". "And never nominated anyone for the Prime Minister without the consent and blessing of all parties."

Iraq's Parliament elected a new Chairman last week, infallible. In line with the country's Constitution, the Prime Minister must be appointed to form a new Government.

Sources said Shiite State of RADO law was among the first groups to petition the President nominated Al-Maliki to the post. - 6. THEY'RE SAYING HERE THE SLC PETITIONED MASSOUM TO NOMINATE MALIKI - KEY WORD "PETITION" - THIS IS PUTTING IT MILDLY. 

According to the Constitution of Iraq, the Prime Minister should be elected from the largest coalition in the Parliament. Shiite parties holding the majority of seats in the National Assembly (COULD ALSO MEAN PARLIAMENT), but so far no major alliances. 

7. THIS IS FALSE - THERE ARE MAJOR ALLIANCES FORMED, AND WHICH CONTINUE TO BE FORMED RIGHT NOW.

The State of law insists 93 seats to nominate Maliki as a candidate for the Shiites.

8. WRONG! THE BADR BLOC EMPHATICALLY  STATED THAT THEY STILL ARE APART OF THE MAJOR UMBRELLA PARTY, THE DAWA, WHICH MALIKI ALSO BELONGS TO - BUT HAVE AGREED TO GIVE THEIR 22 SEATS TO THE NATIONAL COALITION - IN EXCHANGE FOR PUTTING FORTH THEIR GUY, "AMERI". THIS MEANS THAT MALIKI AS AT MOST, 71 SEATS - WAAAAAY NOT ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR BLOC DECLARED THE MAJORITY - VS ALL OF THE CONGLOMERATION OF BLOCS WHICH HAVE FORMED AN ALLIANCE (THE NC FORMING AND JOINING WITH THE NA, FOR ONE) AGAINST THE SLC. 

The Kurdish and Sunni refusal to launch a third term for Maliki. Even within the Shiite parties, spoke his block and strong against the beleaguered Prime Minister, as "Shia Ayatollah" Ali Sistani, who appealed to Al-Maliki did not run for a third term.

9. THIS STATEMENT IS SAYING THAT THE SHIITE FACTIONS FEEL PRESSURED NOT TO support MALIKI BECAUSE OF THE RELIGIOUS AUTHORITIES IMPOSITION THAT MALIKI NOT BE ELECTED FOR A THIRD TERM. LET ME REMIND EVERYONE THAT ONE OF THE "SISTANI" ARTICLES I POSTED, HAD A READERSHIP NUMBER OF 25,000 PEOPLE (AND THAT WAS JUST ON THE FIRST DAY) - THIS MATTERS, EVERYONE!

With the President and the Parliament elect a President last month-depending on the country in the midst of the Sunni insurgency and with a third of the country in rebel hands leadership of Mujahideen-the decision on the Prime Minister is the only obstacle to Iraq to form a new Government.

10. WHAT ARE THEY SAYING HERE? THEY'RE SAYING THAT NOW THAT THE SPEAKER AND THE PRESIDENT HAVE BEEN ELECTED, AND CONSIDERING THAT IRAQ IS IN THE THROWS OF "TERRORISM" - THE DECISION OF WHO WILL BE THE NEW PRIME MINISTER IS CRUCIAL. AND I CAN TELL YOU, IT WON'T BE ANOTHER STRONG SECTARIAN, LIKE MALIKI.

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/01082014

PLEASE ALSO NOTE, THAT I COULD NOT FIND THIS ARTICLE ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE RUDAW SITE, EXCEPT WITHIN THE "ENGLISH" SECTION. 

INTERESTING HOW THE SAME ARTICLE, MAY YIELD TO A SHIFT IN PERSPECTIVE - DEPENDING UPON ONE'S FOCUS???    :eyebrows: 

THANK YOU ADAM FOR YOUR POST - IT HELPED ME WITH MINE. 

• Upvote 5

wow what will it take to make Malarky go away ??? :butt-kicking:

Brother, I'm with Adam on this one. If they replace Maliki we will most likely still be

here three years from now waiting for the RV. I find him repugnant, however, if this

is gonna happen anytime soon we don't want to be changing horses in the middle

of the street.

To clarify, I believe this event is controlled by evil people. It's end goal is evil. Can we

use that for good? Yes, God has been using evil for good ever since the world began.

So what we need to do in order to understand is stop thinking of this event in a Godly

manner. We need to think of it as how will Satan do this.

If we wish to see the RV, then Maliki is the man.

Brother, I'm with Adam on this one. If they replace Maliki we will most likely still be

here three years from now waiting for the RV. I find him repugnant, however, if this

is gonna happen anytime soon we don't want to be changing horses in the middle

of the street.

This horse M is despised and not trusted by way too many people to do Iraq any good. Iraq needs a PM who is respected by most if they have any chance of uniting all factions under a common goal. (RV among others)

Turki will "sit in his eggs" if Maliki is reelected, and we will wait a lot longer.

Not to mention the violent opposition will only escalate erasing whatever progress is made up to now because Maliki is a "mine is mine and yours is mine" type of guy, and is not capable of changing himself into a non sectarian leader.

I have met many shelfish people in my life, and these types will absolutely not do anything good if they don't get 100 times more first for themselves. M is like that.

Well, we have no say on this thing. I guess we will see shortly what happens JMO.

• Upvote 1

Iraqi President threatens to resign as Prime Minister stalemate ensues

1. Why would this article need to be written unless Massoum, was prompted to address the tension and conflicts regarding the PM nomination. By speaking to the press (if in fact, he did) he's saying "I'm the man and I'm going to handle this with graciousness for my people AND authority".  

Radu 16 hrs ago

Baghdad, Iraq--the newly elected President Fouad Massoum in Iraq by the country's Parliament that he would resign if the failure of the parties to nominate a candidate for Prime Minister.

Awesome post Tbomb!

2. IF Massoum had full intentions of supporting Maliki for the PM'ship - he would a) not be making this announcement and B) I believe he's pressing the blocs to figure it out - without hinderences and one of those would absolutely be Maliki's intimidation. 

Masoom said representatives "elected President by all Iraqi factions,". "And never nominated anyone for the Prime Minister without the consent and blessing of all parties."

3. Massoum is clearly stating that he intends to support an harmonious outcome - for the good of all - this would not include supporting, or presenting Maliki for the PM'ship - there's way too much international pressure to change the government. And, there's also a great deal of internal/Iraqi pressure to change the PM as well - from the Religious authorities as well as all Sunni factions - and including the terrorists - who have stated in more than one article/announcement - that their primary objective is to rid the country of Maliki and his sectarian smack down of innocent peoples. 

And he warned: "if I'm pressed to nominate a candidate, I will not hesitate to step down."

4. This is yet another "I'm the big boss on the block - no one will intimidate me to present them as the nominee for PM, it will be someone whom we all feel relatively comfortable with electing."

RADO learned that Iraq's Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had called on him to nominate infallible ("INFALLIBLE IS MASSOUM) because it represents the largest coalition in the Parliament. " - THIS SENTENCE IS VERY "OFF" DUE TO TRANSLATION ISSUES.

Reportedly rejected the call for Al-Maliki, the President said he would use his presidential powers to nominate anyone without clear support from all Iraqi factions. "

5. THIS SENTENCE IS A DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THE SECOND SENTENCE OF THIS ARTICLE: "Masoom said representatives "elected President by all Iraqi factions,". "And never nominated anyone for the Prime Minister without the consent and blessing of all parties."

Iraq's Parliament elected a new Chairman last week, infallible. In line with the country's Constitution, the Prime Minister must be appointed to form a new Government.

Sources said Shiite State of RADO law was among the first groups to petition the President nominated Al-Maliki to the post. - 6. THEY'RE SAYING HERE THE SLC PETITIONED MASSOUM TO NOMINATE MALIKI - KEY WORD "PETITION" - THIS IS PUTTING IT MILDLY. 

According to the Constitution of Iraq, the Prime Minister should be elected from the largest coalition in the Parliament. Shiite parties holding the majority of seats in the National Assembly (COULD ALSO MEAN PARLIAMENT), but so far no major alliances. 

7. THIS IS FALSE - THERE ARE MAJOR ALLIANCES FORMED, AND WHICH CONTINUE TO BE FORMED RIGHT NOW.

The State of law insists 93 seats to nominate Maliki as a candidate for the Shiites.

8. WRONG! THE BADR BLOC EMPHATICALLY  STATED THAT THEY STILL ARE APART OF THE MAJOR UMBRELLA PARTY, THE DAWA, WHICH MALIKI ALSO BELONGS TO - BUT HAVE AGREED TO GIVE THEIR 22 SEATS TO THE NATIONAL COALITION - IN EXCHANGE FOR PUTTING FORTH THEIR GUY, "AMERI". THIS MEANS THAT MALIKI AS AT MOST, 71 SEATS - WAAAAAY NOT ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR BLOC DECLARED THE MAJORITY - VS ALL OF THE CONGLOMERATION OF BLOCS WHICH HAVE FORMED AN ALLIANCE (THE NC FORMING AND JOINING WITH THE NA, FOR ONE) AGAINST THE SLC. 

The Kurdish and Sunni refusal to launch a third term for Maliki. Even within the Shiite parties, spoke his block and strong against the beleaguered Prime Minister, as "Shia Ayatollah" Ali Sistani, who appealed to Al-Maliki did not run for a third term.

9. THIS STATEMENT IS SAYING THAT THE SHIITE FACTIONS FEEL PRESSURED NOT TO support MALIKI BECAUSE OF THE RELIGIOUS AUTHORITIES IMPOSITION THAT MALIKI NOT BE ELECTED FOR A THIRD TERM. LET ME REMIND EVERYONE THAT ONE OF THE "SISTANI" ARTICLES I POSTED, HAD A READERSHIP NUMBER OF 25,000 PEOPLE (AND THAT WAS JUST ON THE FIRST DAY) - THIS MATTERS, EVERYONE!

With the President and the Parliament elect a President last month-depending on the country in the midst of the Sunni insurgency and with a third of the country in rebel hands leadership of Mujahideen-the decision on the Prime Minister is the only obstacle to Iraq to form a new Government.

10. WHAT ARE THEY SAYING HERE? THEY'RE SAYING THAT NOW THAT THE SPEAKER AND THE PRESIDENT HAVE BEEN ELECTED, AND CONSIDERING THAT IRAQ IS IN THE THROWS OF "TERRORISM" - THE DECISION OF WHO WILL BE THE NEW PRIME MINISTER IS CRUCIAL. AND I CAN TELL YOU, IT WON'T BE ANOTHER STRONG SECTARIAN, LIKE MALIKI.

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/01082014

PLEASE ALSO NOTE, THAT I COULD NOT FIND THIS ARTICLE ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE RUDAW SITE, EXCEPT WITHIN THE "ENGLISH" SECTION. 

INTERESTING HOW THE SAME ARTICLE, MAY YIELD TO A SHIFT IN PERSPECTIVE - DEPENDING UPON ONE'S FOCUS???    :eyebrows: 

THANK YOU ADAM FOR YOUR POST - IT HELPED ME WITH MINE. 

Adam thank you for posting this.  I had to go back and gather hard facts on this situation and came to the conclusion that Maliki was definitely not done.  I have been in conversations with friends who were adamant that it was all done, nail in the coffin, for Maliki.  My stance upset some people but I hold to it that he did not withdraw and the State Law still hold strong influence within the National Alliance.  It is definitely not over and Maliki's play on the President just revealed State Law's strategy, they are going for a stalemate if need be.  State Law will tie up the process and pressure the President.  They are committed to promoting Maliki for a 3rd term.  

Batten down the hatches my friends, this will become very interesting come 8th of August.  

I'm obviously not here to state the popular opinion, as evidenced by the amount of negative feedback I've received on my stance on this position... but it's always my intention to keep it real, and for that you are more than welcome.

:tiphat:

6 days left till August 8th! :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

If we wish to see the RV, then Maliki is the man.  :shakehead: 

Sry LGD to disagreed but that not gonna cut it...you have to many factors or 3 letter agency that have more say then Mr. M.... :D 

Thanks TBomb nicely put... ;) 

• Upvote 1

"Real" is relative - to each person's own truth, understanding and body of knowledge. I may, perhaps, research  more than you do, Adam. Again, thank you for providing us a forum to express our views. 

We all know this situation is tenuous and changeable. 

Edited by TBomb
  • Upvote 1