Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki urges President Massoum to choose him as PM

For those that are still insisting Maliki has stepped down... this out just 5 hours ago: Maliki urging the new Iraqi President to choose him as PM.

=========================

57350Image1.jpg
Massoum: 'If I am pressured to nominate a candidate, I will not hesitate to step down.' Photo: AFP

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraq’s newly-elected President Fouad Massoum warned the country’s parliament that he would step down if the parties failed to nominate a candidate for the post of prime minister.   

“I was elected president by all the Iraqi factions,” Massoum told representatives. “And I would never nominate anyone for the post of prime minister without all parties’ consent and blessing.”

The president warned: “if I am pressured to nominate a candidate, I will not hesitate to step down.”

Rudaw has learned that Iraq’s acting Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has urged  Massoum to nominate him “since he represents the largest coalition in the parliament.”

The president has reportedly declined Maliki’s appeal and said he would not use his presidential powers to nominate anyone “without the clear support of all Iraqi factions.”

Iraq’s parliament elected Massoum as the new president last week.  In line with the country’s constitution, the president should assign the prime minister to form a new cabinet. 

Sources told Rudaw that the Shiite State of the Law was among the first factions to submit a petition to the president to nominate Maliki for the post.

According to Iraq’s constitution, the prime minister should be elected from the largest coalition group in the parliament. The Shiite parties hold most of the seats in the national assembly but have so far not announced any major coalitions.

The State of the Law with 93 seats has insisted on nominating Maliki as the sole Shiite candidate.

The Kurdish and Sunni factions have absolutely rejected a third term for Maliki.   Even within the Shiite parties, Muqtada al-Sadr and his powerful bloc have spoken against the embattled prime minister, as has the Shiite Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, who has appealed to Maliki not to run for a third term.

With the president and parliament speaker elected last month -- as the country is in the throes of a massive Sunni rebellion and with a third of the country in the hands of jihadi-led rebels -- a decision on the prime minister is the only hurdle standing in the way of Iraq forming a new government.

=====================

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/01082014

Key points in this article:

1. The Shiites are most likely going to nominate ONE candidate, and that will be Maliki. Since the Sunnis and Kurds can't agree on ONE candidate, that means the votes on their side will be split and they will lose.

2. According to Iraqi Constitution, the President must make a decision soon.

3. Maliki is obviously not "out". Regardless of the propaganda you might read out there, this is from 5 hours ago and is the real deal.

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger :lol:

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 3

The article Maliki withdraw is from a click site...the problem Mr. M will have when the voting is done in secret (electronically) he will have to contend on who votes are valid...last voting process had 46 invalid votes...my question is what block are the one's invalid.....and it seems the the invalid votes haven't even been questioned.... :lol:...46 votes...???? we will see soon  :lol: 

• Upvote 1

The religious authority has asked Maliki to step down

The Kurds are adamant they will not participate in a Maliki goverment

The Sunnis do not want him and even some Shia

Maliki is seeking immunity to have some post so he will not be prosecuted

He will not be PM again

• Upvote 3

The religious authority has asked Maliki to step down

The Kurds are adamant they will not participate in a Maliki goverment

The Sunnis do not want him and even some Shia

Maliki is seeking immunity to have some post so he will not be prosecuted

He will not be PM again

That's what everyone said last time. :twocents:

Nobody knows for sure who the next PM will be, my only point here is that Maliki did NOT "step down" or "withdraw" (yet), nor has he given indication that he is considering withdrawing... in fact, quite the opposite, and this article is pretty solid evidence to that point.

I'm done with the conversation, if anyone needs me I'll be waiting for the results instead of arguing with people who think they know everything. Nobody knows who the next PM will be, but it's my opinion that Maliki will retain the position.

We will know for sure soon enough... no need to get anyone's undies bunched up.

Cheers :tiphat:

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

:Thanks MIT,

But I was really talking about someone neg Adam @ his 9:19am post. Negging me is ok.............no biggie.

Adam has tough skin.  You have to when you step into the "general population".  It can be a little rough at times.

National Alliance has documented that they are the biggest block.

Maliki is trying to pressure him like he did with Talabani.

He knows he has competition within the NA, so he uses his position to try to do and end run around the political process. Masum is having nothing to do with it.

Great news!

Edited by jim1126
  • Upvote 1

SO many people die every day of heart attack, disease, accidents, crimes, war, etc etc. WHY OH WHY Malaki does not????

Enough with this P.O.S. already!! Quit you freeking political barnacle at last!!  :butt-kicking:

Edited by kostaske
  • Upvote 2

That's what everyone said last time. :twocents:

Nobody knows for sure who the next PM will be, my only point here is that Maliki did NOT "step down" or "withdraw" (yet), nor has he given indication that he is considering withdrawing... in fact, quite the opposite, and this article is pretty solid evidence to that point.

I'm done with the conversation, if anyone needs me I'll be waiting for the results instead of arguing with people who think they know everything. Nobody knows who the next PM will be, but it's my opinion that Maliki will retain the position.

We will know for sure soon enough... no need to get anyone's undies bunched up.

Cheers :tiphat:

Adam thank you for posting this.  I had to go back and gather hard facts on this situation and came to the conclusion that Maliki was definitely not done.  I have been in conversations with friends who were adamant that it was all done, nail in the coffin, for Maliki.  My stance upset some people but I hold to it that he did not withdraw and the State Law still hold strong influence within the National Alliance.  It is definitely not over and Maliki's play on the President just revealed State Law's strategy, they are going for a stalemate if need be.  State Law will tie up the process and pressure the President.  They are committed to promoting Maliki for a 3rd term.  

Batten down the hatches my friends, this will become very interesting come 8th of August.  

• Upvote 3

Articles are all over the map with this PM business.  Makes you wonder why they are putting out so much "propaganda"...Doesn't it?  Maybe it's just me who questions all this hype because I've always been a "why" person.

He may not be out but is he more "out than in"?

Another week to wait and see. Think I'll make up a batch of Margarita's and go sit by the pool. :D

Edited by Goldiegirl
  • Upvote 4