Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq jihadists blow up 'Jonah's tomb' in Mosul: official

I would be more apt to believe a govt spokesperson from Isreal than I would from Hamas who has a known history for deception and lies. Look up the word taqqiya. Something your prophet said was okay to do in time of war with the infidel/kafr/unbeliever. 

The UN even verified that caches were found in its schools. or did you miss that? Why are caches being hidden in schools, because of people like you when something goes awry and children die because they are being used as shields. This is where your argument goes awry. You attack the Isreals when the actual culprits are those who wish to do Isreal harm. These people hide behind women and children just like you do. You use their deaths to further your agenda, the hate of Isreal, jew and christian. Your postings are quite evident of that and the other attacks to other members of this forum when any one dares speak out against Islam. The gig is up Maggie, I don't seek to convert you. What I have done, everyone has seen clearly here. You have outted yourself through postings. I bet you are so angry now aren't you. You and amber tried to come at me showing abrogated verses. I have let you and her dig your own holes. The problem here is I know Islam and I have forgotten so much more because I studied it and debated it with real muslims not converts. I didn't just read iit like a novel. Ipicked over the words did the research checked the claims and double checked them. Keep on talking though, it helps other people see what Islam is really about. I don't hate Islam should it reform but it won't. So until then I will continue to expose it for what it really is a religion of hate, submission, slavery and death. Peace in Islam only comes after the world has become Islamic. That is the truth of Islam. 

Have a good night and sleep well.  Peace out!

Maggie you missed the point of chronological order. You would know it better as a timeline on facebook. lol

And now the attacks begin. Bring em on!

Sorry meant amber not Maggie doesn't know chronological order. Chapter 2 was not revealed before chapter 3 by the way. But you show that don't you.

amber I already stated I am not Jew or christian...try again... you only have about 9300000 religions to go through. I suggest you start with number 1, since you know that. You might get it by the end of this century.

Whatever your religion is Thesius,you keep insisting muslims are tyrant.You are very partial.On one side you say everybody has the right to defend including Israel whether they kill the innocent children,women and the old ones and on the other you hand the you blame muslims that they are extremist while Islam stictly forbids the killing of the children,women and the old ones even in the battle field.Its so mean  that the laws of peace only apply on the muslims and not on any other religion.There is no single in the history that in the name of war the mulsims killed the innocent children,women & old once in the wars.    

Hamas announces ceasefire as Israeli military resumes Gaza operations
Gaza Strip's rulers announce '24-hour humanitarian calm' shortly after Israel calls off its own ceasefire following fresh rocket fire

Link to video: Israel resumes Gaza military operations

Hamas has announced a 24-hour ceasefire in Gaza from 2pm local time on Sunday, just hours after Israel resumed its military operation following fresh rocket fire. There was no immediate response from Israel to Hamas's move.

"In response to UN intervention and considering the situation of our people and the occasion of Eid, it has been agreed among resistance factions to endorse a 24-hour humanitarian calm, starting from 2pm on Sunday [midday BST]," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters. Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan and is one of the most important holidays in the Muslim calendar, is set to begin on Monday.

But shortly after the ceasefire was to have started warning sirens sounded in southern Israel and the military said three rockets landed in the area, without causing casualties or damage.

The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, told US TV: "Hamas doesn't even accept its own ceasefire; it's continuing to fire at us as we speak."

Israel called off its own unilateral ceasefire earlier on Sunday after renewed rocket fire from Gaza. The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said one of its soldiers was killed by a rocket on Sunday morning, bringing the total number of military deaths to 43. Three civilians have been killed in Israel; more than 1,000 Palestinians have died.                                                                Following a 12-hour humanitarian pause in its bombardment on Saturday, Israel initially extended its ceasefire by four hours, and then a further 24 hours, until midnight on Sunday. However, in a statement on Sunday morning, the IDF said: "Following Hamas' incessant rocket fire throughout the humanitarian window, which was agreed upon for the welfare of the civilian population in Gaza, the IDF will now resume its aerial, naval and ground activity in the Gaza Strip."

Following the IDF's announcement, there were reports of three deaths in Gaza as Israeli tanks and artillery pounded targets along the coastal enclave, sending thick plumes of black smoke rising into the sky, according to Reuters.

The Islamic Jihad group said one of its field commanders was killed by tank fire near the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis, the Associated Press reported.

Explosions could be heard in Gaza City and there were reports of renewed shelling in eastern Gaza, according to AFP. Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev wrote on Twitter: "Hamas again rejects a UN humanitarian ceasefire, Hamas responsible for the continuation of the fighting and the bloodshed."

Earlier Hamas, which rules Gaza, had said it would not countenance any ceasefire in which the IDF maintained a presence in Gaza and continued to destroy its strategic assets. Israel had said its forces would remain in Gaza to search for and destroy cross-border tunnels, the principal aim of the ground operation which began 10 days ago.

The confusing sequence of unilateral humanitarian ceasefires followed US secretary of state John Kerry's return to Washington on Saturday after failing to broker a long-term truce. The US, France, Britain, Italy, Germany, Turkey and Qatar called for an extension to the temporary ceasefire after a meeting of foreign ministers in Paris.

Following the meeting, the UK foreign secretary, Philip Hammond, said: "The necessity right now is to stop the loss of life. And we stop the loss of life by getting this ceasefire to roll over for 12 hours, 24 hours or 48 hours – and then again until we have established the level of confidence that allows the parties to sit around a table to talk about the substantive issues."

The death toll in Gaza exceeded 1,000 on Saturday as around 150 bodies were pulled from rubble during the lull in bombing. Thousands of Gazans ventured out from homes and shelters for the first time in days to find that whole streets and neighbourhoods had been destroyed in the past week after Israel and Hamas both agreed to a UN request to cease military activity from 8am until 8pm.

Scenes of devastation were discovered by those who returned to areas that had been the centre of particularly intense fighting. Shortly before the ceasefire, at least 16 members of one family, including several children, had been killed in an air strike in Khan Younis, in the south of the Gaza Strip. The family had recently fled there to escape fighting in a nearby village, according to a Palestinian health official.

Around 5,000 people took part in a protest against the war in Tel Aviv on Saturday night, with a heavy police presence to deter rightwing extremists who abused and attacked the demonstrators.

In London, tens of thousands of people protested against Israel's military campaign, making clear their anger outside the Israeli embassy in Kensington, west London, before marching on to Westminster.

Condemnation of both Israel and Hamas has intensified. Former Labour foreign secretary Jack Straw described Israel's actions as amoral and deeply damaging to its own cause. "It is time for Israel to stop," he told the Observer. "Both because what it is doing is abjectly amoral but also in terms of its own self-preservation. Its actions are doing incremental damage to everything Israel is supposed to stand for."

Former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell said the Israelis were using sophisticated weaponry against innocent civilians when they could have deployed them in a more targeted way to limit loss of life.

But another former foreign secretary, the Tory MP Sir Malcolm Rifkind, refused to single out Israel, saying both sides must agree an unconditional ceasefire. "I would like to see that, but it can't be observed by one side alone," he said.

Kerry had expressed confidence on Friday that there was a framework for a ceasefire agreement which could ultimately succeed, saying "serious progress" had been made, although he admitted there was more work to do. He has led international efforts to reach a truce along with UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon, while keeping in regular contact with the Turkish and Qatari foreign ministers, who have been acting as interlocutors with Hamas.

But there were also signals that if the ceasefire ended, the fighting could intensify. Israel's defence minister, Moshe Ya'alon, said: "At the end of the operation, Hamas will have to think very hard if it is worth it to taunt us in the future. You need to be ready for the possibility that very soon we will order the military to significantly broaden ground activity in Gaza."

The violence has spread to the West Bank and East Jerusalem in recent days. Nine Palestinians have been killed and hundreds more wounded as protests over the bloodshed in Gaza have erupted into clashes with Israeli security forces. The Palestine Liberation Organisation called for more demonstrations in the West Bank and said it was helping to try to secure a ceasefire deal.

At least 6,000 Palestinians have been injured in the war. The UN said more than 160,000 people had sought shelter in its buildings, with thousands more fleeing their homes to stay with relatives and friends in seemingly safer areas.                                                                                           IN JUST 10 DAYS THE DEATH OF INNOCENT PALESTINIAN CIVILIANS ABOVE 1000 AND THE ISRAELIS JUST 3 LOOK FOR YOURSELF WHO IS CRUEL & TYRANT.   

Well getting into the Gaza discussion, I think the Palestinians should vote in the ISIL to lead their country. They voted in these inept, coward Hamas a few years ago which are so scared to actually go out an fight these mean Israelites. You have to at least give it to the ISIL they will take the war to you an not hide out in civilian hospitals and schools to shoot their missiles. The Hamas are not even smart enough to know how a cease fire works. It doesn't work like I'll shoot my 25 missliles at you an then call time out...Anyone who thinks it's alright to set up your missile attach base and weaponry headquarters in civilan hospitals and schools are agreeing with the Hamas it's alright to sacrifice civilians for the cause. So if I was a big Israel hater an a big supporter of the Hamas, I would tell them to elect the ISIL to come run their government for them. At least you would have some manly fighters an not a bunch of cowards trying to fight hiding behind the women and children. I will agree with some of you bleeding hearts, it looks bad on TV the killing of women and children BUT that's the Hamas plan after all isn't it?

• Upvote 2

Islamic militants destroy historic mosque in Mosul

BAGHDAD - The Associated Press

n_69702_1.jpg

People inspect the destroyed old Mosque of The Prophet Jirjis in central Mosul, Iraq, Sunday, July 27, 2014. AP Photo

People inspect the destroyed old Mosque of The Prophet Jirjis in central Mosul, Iraq, Sunday, July 27, 2014. AP Photo

Militants from the Islamic State group blew up a mosque and shrine dating back to the 14th century in Mosul on July 27., local residents said, the latest casualty in a week that has seen a half dozen of the Iraqi city's most revered holy places destroyed.

Mosul residents said the Prophet Jirjis Mosque and Shrine was bombed and destroyed by the radical jihadist group. They spoke anonymously to The Associated Press for fear of reprisal.

The complex was built over the Quraysh cemetery in Mosul in the late 14th century, and included a small shrine dedicated to Nabi Jerjis, the Prophet George.

The al-Qaida breakaway Islamic State group captured large swaths of land in western and northern Iraq, including Mosul, Iraq's second largest city, which was captured in June. The group has imposed a self-styled caliphate in territory they control in Iraq and Syria, imposing their harsh interpretation of Islamic law. .

Among the mosques destroyed in Mosul last week were the Mosque of the Prophet Sheeth (Seth) and the Mosque of the Prophet Younis, or Jonah, said to be the burial place of the Prophet Jonah, who in stories from both the Bible and Quran is swallowed by a whale. The militants claim that such mosques have become places for apostasy, not prayer.

Since the Islamic State launched their blitz across Iraq, more than a million people have fled their homes, according to the United Nations. Many of those people have escaped to the semi-autonomous Kurdish region in northern Iraq since it has remained relatively stable since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

In a statement published on Kurdish state media late Saturday, Kurdish Regional Government President Massoud Barzani said the bombing of churches and mosques in Mosul "is against all the principles of the heavenly religions, humanity, and it is targeting the culture and demographic of the area."

July/28/2014

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/islamic-militants-destroy-historic-mosque-in-mosul.aspx?pageID=238&nid=69702&NewsCatID=352

Well getting into the Gaza discussion, I think the Palestinians should vote in the ISIL to lead their country. They voted in these inept, coward Hamas a few years ago which are so scared to actually go out an fight these mean Israelites. You have to at least give it to the ISIL they will take the war to you an not hide out in civilian hospitals and schools to shoot their missiles. The Hamas are not even smart enough to know how a cease fire works. It doesn't work like I'll shoot my 25 missliles at you an then call time out...Anyone who thinks it's alright to set up your missile attach base and weaponry headquarters in civilan hospitals and schools are agreeing with the Hamas it's alright to sacrifice civilians for the cause. So if I was a big Israel hater an a big supporter of the Hamas, I would tell them to elect the ISIL to come run their government for them. At least you would have some manly fighters an not a bunch of cowards trying to fight hiding behind the women and children. I will agree with some of you bleeding hearts, it looks bad on TV the killing of women and children BUT that's the Hamas plan after all isn't it?

DoD, you nailed it.  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

Okay last night I dug out my Noble Quran from the King Fahd Complex in KSA. This version is from the arabic to English translators Al-Hilali and Khan. I also dug up my notes that I had long put away. This is just a tease of what I have:

Shahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 513:  Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:  Allah's Apostle said, "Gabriel recited the Qur'an to me in one way. Then I requested him (to read it in another way), and continued asking him to recite it in other ways, and he recited it in several ways till he ultimately recited it in seven different ways." Seven different versions of the Quran admitted by their prophet's own lips.

I want to correct something I said. In Islam there are Readers and Transmitters (I said translators which technically they are). The Reader is a person who is famous for "reciting" the quran and the transmitter is famous for putting the reciter's words to ink. For example, Ibn Kathir (maggie and amber should know who this guy is, if they don't they don't know Islam except a propagandist version of it and all of this is for naught) Ibn Kathir is a Reader who has two Transmitter's named al-Bazzi and Qalun. The current area of use for this Reader is Libiya, Tunisia and parts of Qatar. The Noble Quran has been translated into English by many people. One of the most widely used is Yusef Ali. I use a Quran translated from Dr. Hilali and Dr. Khan. 

It is important to know the translator because for example Surah 7:99 

In a transliteration of Arabic

Afaaminoo makra Allahi fala ya/manu makra Allahi illa alqawmu alkhasiroona

A rough translation

Did they secure God's scheme/deceit? So no(one) trusts God's scheme/deceit except the nation the losers.

There is no doubt that makr means deception, scheming, but in most Muslim translations this meaning is totally lost:

Yusef Ali translation into English

Did they then feel secure against the plan of Allah? - but no one can feel secure from the Plan of Allah, except those (doomed) to ruin!

Pickthall

Are they then secure from Allah's scheme? None deemeth himself secure from Allah's scheme save folk that perish.

Sher Ali

Are they then secure from the design of ALLAH? And none feels secure from the design of ALLAH save the people who are destined to perish.

Al-Hilali and Khan

Did they then feel secure against the Plan of Allah. None feels secure from the Plan of Allah except the people who are the losers.

Why do I even bring this up, because these translators deliberately chose to mask the meaning of the word makr in arabic to plan/scheme in English which can totally change the meaning in English. It is no wonder that Amber never heard of the word Al-fitnah. 

Here is another verse in which has been mistranslated into English 

But they (the Jews) were deceptive, and Allah was deceptive, for Allah is the best of deceivers (Wamakaroo wamakara Allahu waAllahu khayru al-makireena)!

As to the "rights of women" here are a few things you should know

Women are property

Surah 2:223 Your wives are tilth for you, so go to your tilth, when or how you will and send for your ownselves beforehand. And fear Allah and know that you are to meet Him and give good tidings to believers.

The vast majority of women go to hell, From the prophet's own mouth :

Sahih Bukhari Vol 7 Book 62 Number 124 Narrated Usama: The Prophet said, "I stood at the gate of Paradise and saw that the majority of the people who entered it were the poor, while the wealthy were stopped at the gate (for the accounts). But the companions of the Fire were ordered to be taken to the Fire. Then I stood at the gate of the Fire and saw that the (vast) majority of those who entered it were women." 

Note: The Arabic word used for "the majority" here is 'Aammah (or 3ammah), and it indicates beyond any shred of a doubt (in Arabic) the *vast majority*. Again the mistranslation into English to appease English speakers.

Surah 4:34 Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them excel the other, and because they spend from their means. Therefore the righteous women are DEVOUTLY OBEDIENT and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard. As to women on whose part you see ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, BEAT THEM but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means. Surely Allah is Ever Most High, Most Great.

We all knew polygamy is legal in Islam ( a new TLC Sister Wives series coming??)

O people! be careful of (your duty to) your Lord, Who created you from a single being and created its mate of the same (kind) and spread from these two, many men and women; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely Allah ever watches over you. And give to the orphans their property, and do not substitute worthless (things) for (their) good (ones), and do not devour their property (as an addition) to your own property; this is surely a great crime. And if you fear that you cannot act equitably towards orphans, then marry such women as seem good to you, two AND three AND four (mathna WA thulatha WA rubaAAa); but if you fear that you will not do justice (between them), then (marry) only one or what your right hands possess; this is more proper, that you may not deviate from the right course. And give women their dowries as a free gift, but if they of themselves be pleased to give up to you a portion of it, then eat it with enjoyment and with wholesome result. S. 4:1-4 Shakir

And how do you treat those four wives? Read on.

And they ask you a decision about women. Say: Allah makes known to you His decision concerning them, and that which is recited to you in the Book concerning female orphans whom you do not give what is appointed for them while you desire to marry them, and concerning the weak among children, and that you should deal towards orphans with equity; and whatever good you do, Allah surely knows it. And if a woman fears ill usage or desertion on the part of her husband, there is no blame on them, if they effect a reconciliation between them, and reconciliation is better, and avarice has been made to be present in the (people's) minds; and if you do good (to others) and guard (against evil), then surely Allah is aware of what you do. You will NOT be able to be equitable between your wives, be you ever so eager; yet do not be altogether partial so that you leave her as it were suspended. If you set things right, and are godfearing, God is All-forgiving, All-compassionate. But if they separate, God will enrich each of them of His plenty; God is All-embracing, All-wise. S. 4:127-130

Realizing this, two conflicting explanations have been proposed:

(a) Sura 4:129 has canceled out the right of Muslims taking more than one wife, which implies that Sura 4:3 has been abrogated. This explanation is an indirect admission that these texts are contradictory.

(B) Sura 4:3 is talking about providing equally for all of the wives, whereas 4:129 is talking about not being able to love all wives the same. The problem with this explanation is that the texts themselves do not make such distinctions. One will not find it stated anywhere that being just in one verse refers to providing financially for all wives whereas in the other passage it refers to loving them all equally. This interpretation is nothing more than ad hoc.

Muhammad, whom many Muslims claim was the walking Quran, failed to treat his wives fairly thereby violating the express command of Sura 4:3. He even wanted to divorce one of his wives named Sauda on the basis that she had gotten too old and was no longer attractive to him, something which is quite disturbing to say the least.

The Hadith

Narrated Umm Atiyyah al-Ansariyyah: A woman used to perform circumcision in Medina. The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said to her: Do not cut severely as that is better for a woman and more desirable for a husband. (Abu-Dawud: bk. 41, no. 5251, Hasan) 

Women are dumber than men in Islam

Call in two male witnesses from among you, but if two men cannot be found, then one man and two women whom you judge fit to act as witnesses. (Qur'an 2:282, Dawood) 

(This verse is highly used in Islam to convict women when a man rapes her. The woman is said to have been in an illegal sexual act. This verse was also used in Australia as a defense when a gang of Islamic men raped an Australian woman. Subsequently it was thrown out and the men were all convicted and sentenced to jail.)

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a women equal to half that of a man?" The women said "yes". He said "This is because of the deficiency of the women's mind." (Bukhari: vol. 3, bk. 48, no. 826, Khan) 

A male gets double the inheritance a female gets:

The Quran in Sura 4:11 says: The share of the male shall be twice that of a female . . . . (Maududi, vol. 1, p. 311)

Ever want to get back with an ex after divorcing him... well the Quran has an answer for that:

The Quran in Sura 2:230 says:

And if the husband divorces his wife (for the third time), she shall not remain his lawful wife after this (absolute) divorce, unless she marries another husband and the second husband divorces her. (In that case) there is no harm if they [the first couple] remarry . . . . (Maududi, vol. 1, p. 165)

Here is how prostitution is legal according to the Quran through muttah marriages:

Sura 33:50, a lengthy verse, grants Muhammad wide latitude in his marriages:

O Prophet, We have made lawful to you those of your wives, whose dowers you have paid, and those women who come into your possession out of the slave-girls granted by Allah, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and aunts, and of your maternal uncles and aunts, who have migrated with you, and the believing woman who gives herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet may desire her. This privilege is for you only, not for the other believers . . . .

Women who should be speaking out against against Islam aren't. Case in point Maggie and Amber. These passages are from your own texts, texts that you defend as peaceful. But continue on deceiving everyone. I will follow up with more specifically to your "not know what Al-Fitnah" is, which I find extremely hard to believe. Remember though Allah is the Best Deceiver... he says so himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Blow yourselves up you idiots! Demonic possessed idiots!

Wm13

I've been debating on whether to make this post, but you have given me a perfect

segway.

As Christians we all need to be praying for Iraq, and for ISIS in particular.

A pretty surprising statement, to be sure. However, there is someone from biblical history

that we should consider before completely rejecting an ISIS member ability to receive

salvation.

There was this man, who lived a long time ago. His name at birth was Saul. He was

born a Roman and an Israeli. He was trained in the Jewish faith and managed to

Rise to some notable position. Shortly after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ the hierarchy

of Judaism was persecuting a man by the name of Stephen. Eventually Stephen was

stoned to death, whilst Saul watched. He was so excited about this stoning that he

petitioned the religious authority to hunt down any and all Christians. And put them

to death. He became known throughout Christendom for his brutal tactics. Invading

Christians homes,and arresting them. Sending Christians to be crucified. By his own

confession he committed exactly the same types of atrocities that ISIS is doing today.

But one day, on the road to Damascus he met Jesus Christ personally. He gave his life

to Jesus and was used by God to give humanity two thirds of the new testament.

We know him as the Apostle Paul.

It's the prayers of the righteous that will change the world.

• Upvote 2

You are truly correct!

And I have met Jesus on my own road to Damascus. Where He spoke to me directly, Those who have been crucified in Jesus' name will be justified. I have no doubt in that, because God's Word says that.

God's Word also says they will be separated, the sheep on the right and the goats on the left.

Wm13

• Upvote 3

Women who should be speaking out against against Islam aren't. Case in point Maggie and Amber. These passages are from your own texts, texts that you defend as peaceful. But continue on deceiving everyone. I will follow up with more specifically to your "not know what Al-Fitnah" is, which I find extremely hard to believe. Remember though Allah is the Best Deceiver... he says so himself.

Amberamin and I are speaking out against ANY terrorist that are killing and wounding innocent women and children... be it ISIS or the IDF.

We know it doesn't matter who is committing these atrocities...  It Is WHAT IS HAPPENING To These Innocent People That Matters

I am Christian and Amberamin is studying the Qur'an... it doesn't matter what books we read... we stand together in our humanity.

We both know the path to God is through love... I honor her in whatever faith she chooses ... and I'm certain she honors mine.

We hold our heads high and know we are sisters on this earth united together against all this hatred and cruelty.

You are in total support of all the division, hatred and the deaths of so many innocents... I see you for who you are.

"By way of deception thou shalt do war"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yep thanks Maggie for your encouraging posts.I totally agree with you.Kind heart people like you always stand against cruelty & terrorism of any group,community or country.Not like the people like Thesius,who defend the terrorism of the people they like and blame the whole community or religion(they don't like)for the terrorism of some so called jihadist groups.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       And Thesius everyone has the right to choose his religion,his way of living.Don't argue with me.The terrorism of ISIS & IDF are the same.You haven't the right to defend both or one of them.If you defend the act of terrorism of your favourit religion or country then you are one of those terrorists.

• Downvote 4

Yep thanks Maggie for your encouraging posts.I totally agree with you.Kind heart people like you always stand against cruelty & terrorism of any group,community or country.Not like the people like Thesius,who defend the terrorism of the people they like and blame the whole community or religion(they don't like)for the terrorism of some so called jihadist groups.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       And Thesius everyone has the right to choose his religion,his way of living.Don't argue with me.The terrorism of ISIS & IDF are the same.You haven't the right to defend both or one of them.If you defend the act of terrorism of your favourit religion or country then you are one of those terrorists.

WTH is wrong with you???? Jeeesh :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Every time I reply to your post Thesius you just change the topic.Now you started the rights of women in Islam.Here's your reply.            The Status of Women in Islam

I. INTRODUCTION

The status of women in society is neither a new issue nor is it a fully settled one.

The position of Islam on this issue has been among the subjects presented to the Western reader with the least objectivity.

This paper is intended to provide a brief and authentic exposition of what Islam stands for in this regard. The teachings of Islam are based essentially on the Quran (God's revelation) and Hadith (elaboration by Prophet Muhammad).

The Quran and the Hadith, properly and unbiasedly understood, provide the basic source of authentication for any position or view which is attributed to Islam.

The paper starts with a brief survey of the status of women in the pre-Islamic era. It then focuses on these major questions: What is the position of Islam regarding the status of woman in society? How similar or different is that position from "the spirit of the time," which was dominant when Islam was revealed? How would this compare with the "rights" which were finally gained by woman in recent decades?

II. HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES

One major objective of this paper is to provide a fair evaluation of what Islam contributed (or failed to contribute) toward the restoration of woman's dignity and rights. In order to achieve this objective, it may be useful to review briefly how women were treated in general in previous civilizations and religions, especially those which preceded Islam (Pre-610 C.E.). Part of the information provided here, however, describes the status of woman as late as the nineteenth century, more than twelve centuries after Islam.

Women in Ancient Civilization

Describing the status of the Indian woman, Encyclopedia Britannica states:

In India, subjection was a cardinal principle. Day and night must women be held by their protectors in a state of dependence says Manu. The rule of inheritance was agnatic, that is descent traced through males to the exclusion of females.

In Hindu scriptures, the description of a good wife is as follows: "a woman whose mind, speech and body are kept in subjection, acquires high renown in this world, and, in the next, the same abode with her husband."

In Athens, women were not better off than either the Indian or the Roman women.

Athenian women were always minors, subject to some male - to their father, to their brother, or to some of their male kin.

Her consent in marriage was not generally thought to be necessary and "she was obliged to submit to the wishes of her parents, and receive from them her husband and her lord, even though he were stranger to her."

A Roman wife was described by an historian as: "a babe, a minor, a ward, a person incapable of doing or acting anything according to her own individual taste, a person continually under the tutelage and guardianship of her husband."

In the Encyclopedia Britannica, we find a summary of the legal status of women in the Roman civilization:

In Roman Law a woman was even in historic times completely dependent. If married she and her property passed into the power of her husband... the wife was the purchased property of her husband, and like a slave acquired only for his benefit. A woman could not exercise any civil or public office, could not be a witness, surety, tutor, or curator; she could not adopt or be adopted, or make will or contract. Among the Scandinavian races women were: under perpetual tutelage, whether married or unmarried. As late as the Code of Christian V, at the end of the 17th Century, it was enacted that if a woman married without the consent of her tutor he might have, if he wished, administration and usufruct of her goods during her life.

According to the English Common Law:

...all real property which a wife held at the time of a marriage became a possession of her husband. He was entitled to the rent from the land and to any profit which might be made from operating the estate during the joint life of the spouses. As time passed, the English courts devised means to forbid a husband's transferring real property without the consent of his wife, but he still retained the right to manage it and to receive the money which it produced. As to a wife's personal property, the husband's power was complete. He had the right to spend it as he saw fit.

Only by the late nineteenth Century did the situation start to improve. "By a series of acts starting with the Married women's Property Act in 1870, amended in 1882 and 1887, married women achieved the right to own property and to enter contracts on a par with spinsters, widows, and divorcees." As late as the Nineteenth Century an authority in ancient law, Sir Henry Maine, wrote: "No society which preserves any tincture of Christian institutions is likely to restore to married women the personal liberty conferred on them by the Middle Roman Law."

In his essay The Subjection of Women, John Stuart Mill wrote:

We are continually told that civilization and Christianity have restored to the woman her just rights. Meanwhile the wife is the actual bondservant of her husband; no less so, as far as the legal obligation goes, than slaves commonly so called.

Before moving on to the Quranic decrees concerning the status of woman, a few Biblical decrees may shed more light on the subject, thus providing a better basis for an impartial evaluation. In the Mosaic Law, the wife was betrothed. Explaining this concept, the Encyclopedia Biblical states: "To betroth a wife to oneself meant simply to acquire possession of her by payment of the purchase money; the betrothed is a girl for whom the purchase money has been paid." From the legal point of view, the consent of the girl was not necessary for the validation of her marriage. "The girl's consent is unnecessary and the need for it is nowhere suggested in the Law."

As to the right of divorce, we read in the Encyclopedia Biblical: "The woman being man's property, his right to divorce her follows as a matter of course." The right to divorce was held only by man. "In the Mosaic Law divorce was a privilege of the husband only.... "

The position of the Christian Church until recent centuries seems to have been influenced by both the Mosaic Law and by the streams of thought that were dominant in its contemporary cultures. In their book, Marriage East and West, David and Vera Mace wrote:

Let no one suppose, either, that our Christian heritage is free of such slighting judgments. It would be hard to find anywhere a collection of more degrading references to the female sex than the early Church Fathers provide. Lecky, the famous historian, speaks of (these fierce incentives which form so conspicuous and so grotesque a portion of the writing of the Fathers... woman was represented as the door of hell, as the mother of all human ills. She should be ashamed at the very thought that she is a woman. She should live in continual penance on account of the curses she has brought upon the world. She should be ashamed of her dress, for it is the memorial of her fall. She should be especially ashamed of her beauty, for it is the most potent instrument of the devil). One of the most scathing of these attacks on woman is that of Tertullian: (Do you know that you are each an Eve? The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that forbidden tree; you are the first deserters of the divine law; you are she who persuades him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert - that is death - even the Son of God had to die). Not only did the church affirm the inferior status of woman, it deprived her of legal rights she had previously enjoyed.

III. WOMAN IN ISLAM

In the midst of the darkness that engulfed the world, the divine revelation echoed in the wide desert of Arabia with a fresh, noble, and universal message to humanity:

"O Mankind, keep your duty to your Lord who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate (of same kind) and from them twain has spread a multitude of men and women...". [Noble Quran 4:1]

A scholar who pondered about this verse states: "It is believed that there is no text, old or new, that deals with the humanity of the woman from all aspects with such amazing brevity, eloquence, depth, and originality as this divine decree."

Stressing this noble and natural conception, them Quran states:

"He (God) it is who did create you from a single soul and therefrom did create his mate, that he might dwell with her (in love)..." [Noble Quran 7:189]

"The Creator of heavens and earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves"[Noble Quran 42:11]

"And Allah has given you mates of your own nature, and has given you from your mates, children and grandchildren, and has made provision of good things for you. Is it then in vanity that they believe and in the grace of God that they disbelieve?" [Noble Quran 16:72]

The rest of this paper outlines the position of Islam regarding the status of woman in society from its various aspects - spiritually, socially, economically and politically.

1. The Spiritual Aspect

The Quran provides clear-cut evidence that woman is completely equated with man in the sight of God in terms of her rights and responsibilities. The Quran states:

"Every soul will be (held) in pledge for its deeds" [Noble Quran 74:38]

It also states:

"...So their Lord accepted their prayers, (saying): I will not suffer to be lost the work of any of you whether male or female. You proceed one from another..." [Noble Quran 3:195]

"Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has faith, verily to him will We give a new life that is good and pure, and We will bestow on such their reward according to their actions." [Noble Quran 16:97, see also 4:124]

Woman according to the Quran is not blamed for Adam's first mistake. Both were jointly wrong in their disobedience to God, both repented, and both were forgiven. [Noble Quran 2:36, 7:20-24]

In one verse in fact [20:121], Adam specifically, was blamed.

In terms of religious obligations, such as the Daily Prayers, Fasting, Poor-due, and Pilgrimage, woman is no different from man. In some cases indeed, woman has certain advantages over man. For example, the woman is exempted from the daily prayers and from fasting during her menstrual periods and forty days after childbirth. She is also exempted from fasting during her pregnancy and when she is nursing her baby if there is any threat to her health or her baby's. If the missed fasting is obligatory (during the month of Ramadan), she can make up for the missed days whenever she can. She does not have to make up for the prayers missed for any of the above reasons. Although women can and did go into the mosque during the days of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and thereafter attendance at the Friday congregational prayers is optional for them while it is mandatory for men (on Friday).

This is clearly a tender touch of the Islamic teachings for they are considerate of the fact that a woman may be nursing her baby or caring for him, and thus may be unable to go out to the mosque at the time of the prayers. They also take into account the physiological and psychological changes associated with her natural female functions.

2. The Social Aspect

a) As a child and an adolescent

Despite the social acceptance of female infanticide among some Arabian tribes, the Quran forbade this custom, and considered it a crime like any other murder.

"And when the female (infant) buried alive - is questioned, for what crime she was killed."[Noble Quran 81:8-9]

Criticizing the attitudes of such parents who reject their female children, the Quran states:

"When news is brought to one of them, of (the Birth of) a female (child), his face darkens and he is filled with inward grief! With shame does he hide himself from his people because of the bad news he has had! Shall he retain her on (sufferance) and contempt, or bury her in the dust? Ah! What an evil (choice) they decide on?" [Noble Quran 16:58-59]

Far from saving the girl's life so that she may later suffer injustice and inequality, Islam requires kind and just treatment for her. Among the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) in this regard are the following:

Whosoever has a daughter and he does not bury her alive, does not insult her, and does not favor his son over her, God will enter him into Paradise. [ibn Hanbal, No. 1957]

Whosoever supports two daughters till they mature, he and I will come in the Day of Judgment as this (and he pointed with his two fingers held together).

A similar Hadith deals in like manner with one who supports two sisters. [ibn-Hanbal, No. 2104]

The right of females to seek knowledge is not different from that of males. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"Seeking knowledge is mandatory for every Muslim". [Al-Bayhaqi]

Muslim as used here including both males and females.

B) As a wife:

The Quran clearly indicates that marriage is sharing between the two halves of the society, and that its objectives, besides perpetuating human life, are emotional well-being and spiritual harmony. Its bases are love and mercy.

Among the most impressive verses in the Quran about marriage is the following.

"And among His signs is this: That He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest, peace of mind in them, and He ordained between you love and mercy. Lo, herein indeed are signs for people who reflect." [Noble Quran 30:21]

According to Islamic Law, women cannot be forced to marry anyone without their consent.

Ibn 'Abbas reported that a girl came to the Messenger of God, Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), and she reported that her father had forced her to marry without her consent. The Messenger of God gave her the choice... (between accepting the marriage or invalidating it). [ibn Hanbal No. 2469]

In another version, the girl said:

"Actually I accept this marriage but I wanted to let women know that parents have no right (to force a husband on them)" [ibn Majah, No. 1873]

Besides all other provisions for her protection at the time of marriage, it was specifically decreed that woman has the full right to her Mahr, a marriage gift, which is presented to her by her husband and is included in the nuptial contract, and that such ownership does not transfer to her father or husband. The concept of Mahr in Islam is neither an actual or symbolic price for the woman, as was the case in certain cultures, but rather it is a gift symbolizing love and affection.

The rules for married life in Islam are clear and in harmony with upright human nature. In consideration of the physiological and psychological make-up of man and woman, both have equal rights and claims on one another, except for one responsibility, that of leadership. This is a matter which is natural in any collective life and which is consistent with the nature of man.

The Quran thus states:

"...And they (women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them, and men are a degree above them." [Noble Quran 2:228]

Such degree is Quiwama (maintenance and protection). This refers to that natural difference between the sexes which entitles the weaker sex to protection. It implies no superiority or advantage before the law. Yet, man's role of leadership in relation to his family does not mean the husband's dictatorship over his wife. Islam emphasizes the importance of taking counsel and mutual agreement in family decisions. The Quran gives us an example:

"...If they (husband wife) desire to wean the child by mutual consent and (after) consultation, there is no blame on them..." [Noble Quran 2:233]

Over and above her basic rights as a wife comes the right which is emphasized by the Quran and is strongly recommended by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him); kind treatment and companionship.

The Quran states:

"...But consort with them in kindness, for if you hate them it may happen that you hate a thing wherein God has placed much good." [Noble Quran 4:19]

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"The best of you is the best to his family and I am the best among you to my family."

The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and best of you are those who are best to their wives. [ibn-Hanbal, No. 7396]

Behold, many women came to Muhammad's wives complaining against their husbands (because they beat them) - - those (husbands) are not the best of you.

As the woman's right to decide about her marriage is recognized, so also her right to seek an end for an unsuccessful marriage is recognized. To provide for the stability of the family, however, and in order to protect it from hasty decisions under temporary emotional stress, certain steps and waiting periods should be observed by men and women seeking divorce. Considering the relatively more emotional nature of women, a good reason for asking for divorce should be brought before the judge. Like the man, however, the woman can divorce her husband with out resorting to the court, if the nuptial contract allows that.

More specifically, some aspects of Islamic Law concerning marriage and divorce are interesting and are worthy of separate treatment.

When the continuation of the marriage relationship is impossible for any reason, men are still taught to seek a gracious end for it.

The Quran states about such cases:

"When you divorce women, and they reach their prescribed term, then retain them in kindness and retain them not for injury so that you transgress (the limits)..." [Noble Quran 2:231] [see also Quran 2:229 and 33:49]

c) As a mother:

Islam considered kindness to parents next to the worship of God.

"And we have enjoined upon man (to be good) to his parents: His mother bears him in weakness upon weakness..." [Noble Quran 31:14] [see also Quran 46:15, 29:8]

Moreover, the Quran has a special recommendation for the good treatment of mothers:

"Your Lord has decreed that you worship none save Him, and that you be kind to your parents..." [Noble Quran 17:23]

A man came to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) asking:

O Messenger of God, who among the people is the most worthy of my good company? The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, Your mother. The man said then who else: The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, Your mother. The man asked, Then who else? The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, Your mother. The man asked, Then who else? Only then did the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, Your father. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

A famous saying of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is: "Paradise is at the feet of mothers." [in An-Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, Ahmad]

"It is the generous (in character) who is good to women, and it is the wicked who insults them."

3. The Economic Aspect

Islam decreed a right of which woman was deprived both before Islam and after it (even as late as this century), the right of independent ownership. According to Islamic Law, woman's right to her money, real estate, or other properties is fully acknowledged. This right undergoes no change whether she is single or married. She retains her full rights to buy, sell, mortgage or lease any or all her properties. It is nowhere suggested in the Law that a woman is a minor simply because she is a female. It is also noteworthy that such right applies to her properties before marriage as well as to whatever she acquires thereafter.

With regard to the woman's right to seek employment it should be stated first that Islam regards her role in society as a mother and a wife as the most sacred and essential one. Neither maids nor baby-sitters can possibly take the mother's place as the educator of an upright, complex free, and carefully-reared children. Such a noble and vital role, which largely shapes the future of nations, cannot be regarded as "idleness".

However, there is no decree in Islam which forbids woman from seeking employment whenever there is a necessity for it, especially in positions which fit her nature and in which society needs her most. Examples of these professions are nursing, teaching (especially for children), and medicine. Moreover, there is no restriction on benefiting from woman's exceptional talent in any field. Even for the position of a judge, where there may be a tendency to doubt the woman's fitness for the post due to her more emotional nature, we find early Muslim scholars such as Abu-Hanifah and At-Tabari holding there is nothing wrong with it. In addition, Islam restored to woman the right of inheritance, after she herself was an object of inheritance in some cultures. Her share is completely hers and no one can make any claim on it, including her father and her husband.

"Unto men (of the family) belongs a share of that which Parents and near kindred leave, and unto women a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, whether it be a little or much - a determinate share." [Noble Quran 4:7]

Her share in most cases is one-half the man's share, with no implication that she is worth half a man! It would seem grossly inconsistent after the overwhelming evidence of woman's equitable treatment in Islam, which was discussed in the preceding pages, to make such an inference. This variation in inheritance rights is only consistent with the variations in financial responsibilities of man and woman according to the Islamic Law. Man in Islam is fully responsible for the maintenance of his wife, his children, and in some cases of his needy relatives, especially the females. This responsibility is neither waived nor reduced because of his wife's wealth or because of her access to any personal income gained from work, rent, profit, or any other legal means.

Woman, on the other hand, is far more secure financially and is far less burdened with any claims on her possessions. Her possessions before marriage do not transfer to her husband and she even keeps her maiden name. She has no obligation to spend on her family out of such properties or out of her income after marriage. She is entitled to the "Mahr" which she takes from her husband at the time of marriage. If she is divorced, she may get an alimony from her ex-husband.

An examination of the inheritance law within the overall framework of the Islamic Law reveals not only justice but also an abundance of compassion for woman.

4. The Political Aspect

Any fair investigation of the teachings of Islam into the history of the Islamic civilization will surely find a clear evidence of woman's equality with man in what we call today "political rights".

This includes the right of election as well as the nomination to political offices. It also includes woman's right to participate in public affairs. Both in the Quran and in Islamic history we find examples of women who participated in serious discussions and argued even with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) himself (see the Noble Quran 58:14 and 60:10-12).

During the Caliphate of 'Umar Ibn al-Khattab, a woman argued with him in the mosque, proved her point, and caused him to declare in the presence of people: "A woman is right and 'Umar is wrong."

Although not mentioned in the Quran, one Hadith of the Prophet is interpreted to make woman ineligible for the position of head of state. The Hadith referred to is roughly translated: "A people will not prosper if they let a woman be their leader." This limitation, however, has nothing to do with the dignity of a woman or with her rights. It is rather, related to the natural differences in the biological and psychological make-up of men and women.

According to Islam, the head of the state is no mere figurehead. He leads people in the prayers, especially on Fridays and festivities; he is continuously engaged in the process of decision-making pertaining to the security and well-being of his people. This demanding position, or any similar one, such as the Commander of the Army, is generally inconsistent with the physiological and psychological make-up of woman in general. It is a medical fact that during their monthly periods and during their pregnancies, women undergo various physiological and psychological changes. Such changes may occur during an emergency situation, thus affecting her decision, without considering the excessive strain which is produced. Moreover, some decisions require a maximum of rationality and a minimum of emotionality - a requirement which does not coincide with the instinctive nature of women.

Even in modern times, and in the most developed countries, it is rare to find a woman in the position of a head of state acting as more than a figurehead, a woman commander of the armed services, or even a proportionate number of women representatives in parliaments, or similar bodies. One can not possibly ascribe this to backwardness of various nations or to any constitutional limitation on woman's right to be in such a position as a head of state or as a member of the parliament. It is more logical to explain the present situation in terms of the natural and indisputable differences between man and woman, a difference which does not imply any "supremacy" of one over the other. The difference implies rather the "complementary" roles of both the sexes in life.

Women in Islam

In the west, the common picture of a Muslim woman is the stereotype of a woman hidden behind a veil, a voiceless, silent figure, bereft of rights. It is a picture familiar to all of us, in large part because this is invariably how the western media portrays women in Islam.

Islam covers many lands with many diverse cultures. From the borders of Arabia to the coasts of Africa, from Bosnia to Indonesia, large groups of people practice Islam. Islam is growing in European and American countries. Each one of these Islamic nations has its own distinct culture; there is a great diversity of cultures within Islam. One cannot bring all these cultures, political systems, national heritage, belief systems, geographical locations, historical backgrounds, and the peoples who embody them under one uniform category or think of them as one system. Islam is practiced in each nation according to those nations characteristics. And nations are, by existing as nations, distinct and different from one another. No two cultures are alike.

Conceptual Issues

Nations in the Middle East, among many other Muslim countries, have long been notorious for their unequal treatment of women especially among the Western nations. Catching a glimpse of a special on Middle Eastern women while channel surfing or reading from the Middle Eastern chapter in history books is the furthest most people have gone to research the role of women in Islam. Images of submissive, timid women covered in black veils are there to be found — and, with such a unanimity of popular information, what point could there be in understanding the subject more thoroughly? What I will provide here is just an outline, a brief summary, as Islam is, in fact, more than just a name, a religion, a social movement. It is recognizing the essence of Divine permeating all there is; it is timeless, priceless, beyond cultures, traditions, and all human limitations. There are few scholars who have described women in Islam without prejudice or some inclination towards either side of the extreme. In order to understand the role of women in Islam and to learn how the rules of Islam apply to them, we need to become familiar with Islam, apart from politics practiced in Muslim nations, and to examine the place of women in the pre-Islamic era, the rules and regulations of Islam, and the cultural backgrounds of the countries that are the base of our research, and finally to compare the position of women in the Muslim world with the position of women in western cultures.

Position of Women Before the Advent of Islam

Islam was born in the Arabia Peninsula, now Saudi Arabia, in the seventh century AD. The pre-Islamic era dates back to more than 1400 years ago. Many cultures, nations and countries, other than Arabia, existed during that time. Let’s begin with a review on the Arabian culture. In that era, in the tribal culture of Arabs, women were not equal to men with respect to many social and personal conditions and systems, such as marriage, inheritance or education, among other areas. Women did not have businesses, own property, or have independent legal rights. Even though we read about Khadijeh (who later became a wife of the Prophet (swa), and the first Muslim woman) who owned her own business, which is an indication that there are always exceptions in any recorded history. In Arabia, female infants were often abandoned or buried alive; and the practice of polygamy was common. The position of women, in countries other than Arabia, in the 7th century, was not much different. In Europe, it was not until the turn of the century (13 centuries later) that French women became legally able to sell property without the permission of their husbands. In many nations, sons would inherit the name, wealth and position of the family and daughters were hoped to marry rich. In many western or eastern countries, women could not chose their husbands, and, widows were expected to mourn for their husbands until the end of their lives (still practiced in some countries).

Standards Set by Islam

One cannot emphasize enough the influence of the teachings of the Prophet (swa) and the verses of the Qur’an upon the advancement of civilization. In the history of humankind, none worked so much to protect human rights, especially women’s, with such integrity, strength, strategic genius, beauty and divinity, or to honor humanity, by freeing it from the chains of prejudice, manipulations, personal and social injustice. His teachings regarding education, social and political rights, property rights, and ultimately human rights, are among the most valuable chapter in the book of civilization. Education: “The pursuit of knowledge is a duty of every Muslim, man and woman”, said the Prophet (swa). With this instruction it became a religious duty of Muslims to educate themselves, their families, and their societies. Education and learning became a religious duty, no Muslim could prevent another human being from the pursuit of knowledge. Gender or race, culture or tradition could not become the cause for prohibiting a person from educating one’s self. Pursuit of knowledge became a religious law, therefore necessary to attain. With such instruction, the Prophet (swa) not only created an equal right to education, but also opened the door to a better understanding.

Social and Political Rights

“Paradise lies under the feet of mothers”, announced the Prophet (swa). With this instruction, a Divine law, it became a religious responsibility, a praiseworthy act, to respect and honor women. “Men are support for women,” “Among the praiseworthy acts to Allah is to treat your mother with honor and respect,” “Be just among your children, daughters and sons, provide them good education and proper upbringing.” Narrated from the Prophet (swa). With these Divine laws, it became religious duty for every Muslim, male or female, to honor women, treat sons and daughters justly, and for male to provide support, not obstacles, for women and their achievements.

There are many recorded historical references that at the beginning of Islam, at the time of the Prophet (swa), Muslim men or women chose to join the Prophet’s army to fight against his enemies, leading wars after his passing. There are also recorded in the history of Islam that men and women, equally, would take bayat (agreement) with the Prophet, voting and choosing him as a political leader. Such positions, rights and equality among all were the result of the support and the teachings of the Prophet (swa). Women could take part in social, political, and military affairs. The result of his teachings was not only promoted human rights but also encouraging individuals to stand for their own rights.

Fatima, daughter of the Prophet (swa), was well educated and highly respected. It is said that whenever Fatima entered the room, the Prophet would stand and give his seat to her. Her sacrifices to protect and support human rights were among the most praiseworthy acts.

Property Rights

Under the laws of Islam, women have obtained the right to sell and buy properties, own business, take legal actions, vote, and participate in political affairs. Inheritance law was/is also among the most important rights. According to Islam, a woman inherits, half the share of her brother. At the same time a daughter, can chose but has no the obligation to support her parents or children, while her brother does. A man, a brother, has the obligation, by the rules of Islam, to support his mother, wife, children, sisters, and the children of his sisters if necessary. If a woman, a mother, a sister did not have the wealth or the desire to support her children, it would become the duty of her brother to support them. The Prophet (swa) has introduced the rules and the laws for humanity, some honor the rules and some chose not to. Under Islamic law, women also have control not only over their property but also dowry claims. Once she is married, she may demand her dowry from her husband at any time, and in the case of divorce, she would receive her share of the property.

Marriage and the Right to Divorce

According to the laws of Islam a man and a woman have the right to choose their partner and they should not be forced into marriage. Fatima, the Prophet’s daughter was educated, beautiful and respectful. It is narrated that when Amir al momenin Ali asked for Fatima’s hand in marriage Prophet (swa) did not respond to Ali until he asked Fatima for her decision. Divorce is permitted in Islam under specific terms and conditions. According to the laws of Islam one may end a marriage by divorce if there is a definite cause for such an action.

Polygamy is a tradition practiced in many cultures, yet Islam restricted it by setting regulations. These regulations are very severe, and a very few can practice it. Quran (IV:3) reads: “If you feel that you will be able to deal justly with orphans, marry the women of your choice one, two, three, or four. But if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them, then marry only one.” The verse emphasize being just not only to the women but also to their children, who would, otherwise, remain fatherless after their mothers became widowed — a frequent occurrence during the early centuries of Islam, when men were often killed in wars. “Deal justly” refers to equal treatment, not only emotionally but also financially. The particular historical context of polygamy in Islam followed one of the harshest wars, where many men were killed, leaving a multitude of women widowed, fatherless, and without support. Also a Muslim man cannot marry a second wife without the permission of the first wife. With all these restricted regulations, according to the Islamic law, polygamy is possible but rare in practice.

Post Islamic Expectations Set by Political Entities

A few centuries after the Prophet (swa) many of these rules changed into cultural, national, or political regulations.

Islam entered different cultures and each culture embraced it according to its own traditions. Even in its homeland, rules and regulations changed according to the political rulers and the traditional culture of the land within one or two centuries after the passing of the Prophet (swa). Let us examine a few of these changes: Prophet had said (Quran, XXIV:30, 31): “Tell believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them and say to the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their modesty and they should not display their beauty and ornaments….” In the course of time, this law changed into the rule that women should wear veils, covering themselves from head to toe. Being modest changed into a dress code. Yet this dress code was not applied to the “believing men”, and did not become a cause for their social or economical oppressions. Women, who at the beginning of Islam, were leading armies and making political decisions, were now, a few centuries later, expected to sit separately from men in mosques and in prayer ceremonies. A similar situation also obtain in non-Islamic countries. For example a century ago, when the World Anti-Slavery Association met in England, the women delegates were refused seats. They had to sit silently behind the curtain in the balcony. That, of course, led to Seneca Falls Convention that eventually gained a few rights for women such as becoming able to sell properties, the right to education, and the like. The Prophet instructed that women have the right to own property, to choose their own partners, and have equal rights to education. In accordance with prevailing culture, these rights became transformed into the duties of women to take care of children and remain in the house. This is not all that different than a century ago in America where women were expected the duties of “Republican Motherhood,” which did not take them beyond the household sphere.

To justify the prejudice held against women, we can blame a religion, we can blame a culture, we can blame a system, and we can even blame women themselves. Yet these superficial “making you feel better” justifications will not remove the responsibility from generations of humanity. While it is true that the media misleads people, political leaders mislead people, and superficial ideology misleads people — yet people remain in a state of being misled. The guilt of the oppressor is not lesser that the guilt of the oppressed, said the Prophet.
Islam is a religion where the standard for superiority is the level of ones knowledge, where human being was created in the best figure, and thus where advancing knowledge is a duty. According to Islam, the human being has the potentiality to ascend to the level of the Divine, knowledge of the law of the existence is the right of every human being.

Islam is a religion where your temple is not a building but your heart; your preacher is not a priest but your intellect; and if your religion is founded upon mere imitation, you are a blasphemer. In Islam, ignorance is an unforgivable sin, so is your evasion of responsibility for yourself as well as towards all the members of the living world, past and present. It is incorrect to blame such Islam for the shortcomings of its followers, which are the failings of most of mankind. A religion that is centered on the rights of human being, and sets both men and women free from the chains of bondage should not be used in propaganda for the sake of condemnation.

It is not Muslim women as such, but women everywhere who have been imprisoned by prejudice and cruelty. This form of prejudice that goes beyond simple racial or national boundaries, is sexual in nature. Whether women are constantly being held to an impossible standard, or subject to discrimination solely based on the fact that they are not equal to men, they are, by far, the group most affected by this form of prejudice. Depending on the society women may be seen as having the wrong weight, the wrong height, the wrong level of intelligence, or the wrong religion. We can conclude that women have yet to be welcomed with open arms into countries that they have been a part of from the beginning. True equality becomes a characteristic of Utopia and seems almost impossible to achieve in the society in which we live in. The question that remains is one of personal morals. Do we, as small pieces of society, have the capacity to interlock and form a beautiful mosaic? I have to say it takes more than just a few to fulfill a dream that is centuries old.

Edited by amberamin
  • Downvote 3

Who is the translator of your Noble Quran?   You say everytime you respond to a post of mine I change the subject? Well answer the questions presented and I won't have to change the subject. I change the subject to get you respond to what is being discussed. Start at the beginning and answer the questions. What I find funny is you call me a Jesus follower, as if that was said in a derogatory fashion. Your Imam has brainwashed you well. Speaking ill of the prophetss of Islam is haram. But you used Jesus and Isa so you are safe there. You speak of ISIS and IDF in the same sentence but HAMAS has integrated itself into the very citizens that were told to evacuate. How about I put some pit vipers inside your house, you live with them day in and day out. If those vipers don't get you killed then no one will say anything about them? But if I call a pest control guy and comes in and eradicates the pit vipers and kills your dog, after he told you to remove the dog, in the process, you blame the pest control guy for being the worst of creatures because he killed your dog. If you don't see the correlation here, you never will. Gazans are starting to wake up like they did with the PLO. They are starting to figure out that maybe living with pit vipers may not be such a good idea. I wonder why? I guess hiding caches of RPG's, missiles and guns inside homes, hospitals and schools may not be such a bright idea for the citizens of Gaza? I wonder why they hide them there not in some Amory.

Quit blaming the pest control guy for eradicating the pit vipers.

I am done with this conversation because you aren't even worth my time anymore I got better things to do. And no I never run from a debate. I'd rather speak to a wall. At least I get a better response from the wall. One bit of advice, it's never a good to contradict your own argument like you did in the  post when you put peace came after the muslims conquered the people and the conquered people were content. You shot yourself down with that one. Just a little tip for you in the future. Smiles.

Oh Maggie siding with those who wish to do you harm, isn't speaking out. Its the opposite of that. Case in point, HAMAS who only want the demise of ISreal and could careless about the citizens (women and children) they use to shield themselves with. Reminds of the protest sign a muslim was carrying I once saw, "Behead those who say Islam is violent"

• Upvote 2

What's happening in Israel today has absolutely nothing to do with peace or what the politicians and news media call " the peace process". 

The real enemies intention is to destroy the nation and the Jewish way of life.

Only the Lord's plans for Israel will stand in the last days.

We can huff and puff about the lives being lost from each side, but if the enemy doesn't know the love of God, then lives will continue to be lost.  If Israel doesn't ask for God's help in defeating the enemy, then lives will continue to be lost.  Look to the Lord Israel!!!!

• Upvote 3