Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

ISIS threatens Iraqi Christians in Mosul: Convert, pay taxes or die

ISIS threatens Iraqi Christians in Mosul: Convert, pay taxes or die

By: CNN

Posted: 6:00 AM, Jul 18, 2014

Updated: 25 mins ago

Tag: national | world

KNXV%20Families%20fleeing%20ISIS_1405688

Picture By Getty

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Extremists occupying large swaths of Iraq and Syria have issued a threat to Iraqi Christians in the city of Mosul to accept Islam, pay extra taxes to Islamic Sharia courts or face "death by the sword."

The letters from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, were distributed to leaders of the dwindling Christian minority in the city in recent days.

The message added that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has agreed to "allow them (Christians who do not agree to convert or pay extra taxes) to evacuate themselves only from the caliphate state" by noon Saturday (5 a.m. ET). After that, the message said, "the only option is the sword."

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/isis-threatens-iraqi-christians-in-mosul-convert-pay-taxes-or-die

How many people of all faiths have died because of their religious persuasion?

We Christians have Cathar, Jewish and Muslim blood on our hands. No, neither you nor I have ever killed anyone because of their religious belief, but that doesn't mean we can say it has never happened.

Pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ.

• Upvote 3

How many people of all faiths have died because of their religious persuasion?

We Christians have Cathar, Jewish and Muslim blood on our hands. No, neither you nor I have ever killed anyone because of their religious belief, but that doesn't mean we can say it has never happened.

Pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ.

True, but since the inception of Islam, how many people have been killed in the name of Jihad? Hundreds of millions?

All faiths are responsible for atrocities, but Islam is by far the leader of the pack. No, let me rephrase. Islam stands in a category all its own and all other religions pale in comparison.

Indy

• Upvote 4

Today 7-18-14

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Extremists occupying large swaths of Iraq and Syria have issued a threat to Iraqi Christians in the city of Mosul to accept Islam, pay extra taxes to Islamic Sharia courts or face "death by the sword."

The letters from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, were distributed to leaders of the dwindling Christian minority in the city in recent days.

The message added that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has agreed to "allow them (Christians who do not agree to convert or pay extra taxes) to evacuate themselves only from the caliphate state" by noon Saturday (5 a.m. ET). After that, the message said, "the only option is the sword."

Apostle John the Revelator on Patmos Island:

Revelation 20:4-6New International Version (NIV)

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge.

And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands.

They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.)

This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection.

The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

• Upvote 4

Getting close to going home folks ....

When I first got into this I told my preacher. He said that I was right, Babylon would

rise and the dinar would with it. However, he believes that the rapture will come first.

I thought he was crazy, but now several years later, NOT SO MUCH.

Ask yourselves, why did God destroy the earth with the flood? What was the sin

Mentioned in Genesis that made God so angry?

VIOLENCE.

Violence was everywhere, throughout the earth. It's violence that causes God to

regret creating man. Violence that will move his hand.

• Upvote 2

When I first got into this I told my preacher. He said that I was right, Babylon would

rise and the dinar would with it. However, he believes that the rapture will come first.

I thought he was crazy, but now several years later, NOT SO MUCH.

Ask yourselves, why did God destroy the earth with the flood? What was the sin

Mentioned in Genesis that made God so angry?

VIOLENCE.

Violence was everywhere, throughout the earth. It's violence that causes God to

regret creating man. Violence that will move his hand.

You are oh so right LGD.

LGD,

Not only that, who taught the people to be violent? The answer is in Genesis 6, the sons of God (6:2 fallen angels) and what happened they went into the daughters of men. There were giants on the earth (6:4). (half man / half demonic being). Have you ever read the book of Enoch? Tells all about it, even gives some of their names, and which ones taught certain skills, how to make war, how to make weapons, etc. Very interesting read.

Wm13

Edited by waterman13

It's a sobering thought Waterman, when we consider we have "entertained angels unaware"... Who really is who and which ones are which?

Yes it is, very difficult to understand sometimes. I guess that's why the Lord told us to judge someone by their fruits. A good tree produces good fruit a bad tree produces bad fruit, a bad tree cannot produce good fruit. And I He said that those bad trees that produce bad fruit or the tree that produces no fruit shall be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Wm13

• Upvote 1

Please tell me AGAIN how "Islam" is the most peaceful of all religions?

I do realize that "Christians" have their dark past, but Islam does too! Except that they dark past has NEVER stopped!

It has been said that the bible has been changed or corrupted.  And I believe this is true, it's called the Koran/Quran.   Their Antichrist is our Christ and our Antichrist is their Mahdi.   Something ain't right in paradise.  Keep waiting for them virgins instead of questioning something to far fetched to be real.   There is some serious lacking of critical thinking in the religion of Islam.  I questioned my faith until I got peace with it.  Why is that not happening more in Islam?  

It has been said that the bible has been changed or corrupted.  And I believe this is true, it's called the Koran/Quran.   Their Antichrist is our Christ and our Antichrist is their Mahdi.   Something ain't right in paradise.  Keep waiting for them virgins instead of questioning something to far fetched to be real.   There is some serious lacking of critical thinking in the religion of Islam.  I questioned my faith until I got peace with it.  Why is that not happening more in Islam?  

I'll tell you why uncirculd, (and everyone else) it all started with Ismael, the son of Abram, and of Sarah's handmaiden (instead of the promised son). Everyone one should read the Book of Jasher mentioned in two Books of the Bible (Joshua and II Samuel). It tell a detailed account of why Sarai came to him and demanded he send her (Hagar) and her son Ismael out into the desert. (chapter XXI) Ismael was going to shoot Isaac with a bow and arrow.

This is the beginning of the struggle because Ismael felt robbed of the first born rights. Isaac received those.

Ismael goes out and has 12 male children and starts his 12 tribes (the father of the Arabs and the beginning of Islam). Notice the similarity to the twelve tribe of Israel? They believe they are the promised people, not the sons of Abraham, Isaac and Israel (Jacob). They are deceived, even writings they are familiar with but they reject it for the Qur'an.

They same thing happens with Esau and Jacob also. Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew. (which there is a great account of in Jasher of why Esau was so famished, he had just killed Nimrod - the mighty warrior - who I believe was a giant) But, now the sons of Esau (Edomites) who now call themselves "Jews" occupy the territory (some of) that was promised to Abram (Abraham) and believe it's theirs because the birthright was stolen. They only claim to be of certain tribes because they moved in and inhabited the land after Babylon captured Jerusalem (Judah). They (Edomites) started calling themselves the tribe of Judah after their return from Babylon. Everyone has to remember Babylon only captured 2 of the 12 tribes, the other ten tribes (Israel) were in the North and were captured by the Assyrians and deported to Assyria (745-722 BC). They immigrated over the Caucus mountains over the years population much of Europe. (the True Israel is all over Europe, North America, Australia, everywhere the Europeans settled.

Everyone should read Stephen Jone's Book "Struggle for the Birthright", explained very well.

And read the Book of Jasher too! Good Stuff!

Wm13

Edited by waterman13
  • Upvote 2

I'll tell you why uncirculd, (and everyone else) it all started with Ismael, the son of Abram, and of Sarah's handmaiden (instead of the promised son). Everyone one should read the Book of Jasher mentioned in two Books of the Bible (Joshua and II Samuel). It tell a detailed account of why Sarai came to him and demanded he send her (Hagar) and her son Ismael out into the desert. (chapter XXI) Ismael was going to shoot Isaac with a bow and arrow.

This is the beginning of the struggle because Ismael felt robbed of the first born rights. Isaac received those.

Ismael goes out and has 12 male children and starts his 12 tribes (the father of the Arabs and the beginning of Islam). Notice the similarity to the twelve tribe of Israel? They believe they are the promised people, not the sons of Abraham, Isaac and Israel (Jacob). They are deceived, even writings they are familiar with but they reject it for the Qur'an.

They same thing happens with Esau and Jacob also. Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew. (which there is a great account of in Jasher of why Esau was so famished, he had just killed Nimrod - the mighty warrior - who I believe was a giant) But, now the sons of Esau (Edomites) who now call themselves "Jews" occupy the territory (some of) that was promised to Abram (Abraham) and believe it's theirs because the birthright was stolen. They only claim to be of certain tribes because they moved in and inhabited the land after Babylon captured Jerusalem (Judah). They (Edomites) started calling themselves the tribe of Judah after their return from Babylon. Everyone has to remember Babylon only captured 2 of the 12 tribes, the other ten tribes (Israel) were in the North and were captured by the Assyrians and deported to Assyria (745-722 BC). They immigrated over the Caucus mountains over the years population much of Europe. (the True Israel is all over Europe, North America, Australia, everywhere the Europeans settled.

Everyone should read Stephen Jone's Book "Struggle for the Birthright", explained very well.

And read the Book of Jasher too! Good Stuff!

Wm13

Interesting Wm... Thank You... I'll make it a point to read that book.

Interesting Wm... Thank You... I'll make it a point to read that book.

It's online (Jones's book) I mean downloadable pdf

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.net/teachings/books/

Jasher is a great read, it expands a lot of the Bibles' stories, adds some not in the Bible too. A lot of it you can follow verse for verse in some places. Goes along with the chronology also. Jones references it a lot in his book "Struggle for the Birthright". Has to be something that was read by the people who wrote Joshua and II samuel because they mention it. (Joshua 10:13 and II Samuel 1:18)

Wm13

• Upvote 2

It's online (Jones's book) I mean downloadable pdf

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.net/teachings/books/

Jasher is a great read, it expands a lot of the Bibles' stories, adds some not in the Bible too. A lot of it you can follow verse for verse in some places. Goes along with the chronology also. Jones references it a lot in his book "Struggle for the Birthright". Has to be something that was read by the people who wrote Joshua and II samuel because they mention it. (Joshua 10:13 and II Samuel 1:18)

Wm13

I have your link saved ... Thanks Again Wm

Edited by Maggie123

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/07/islamic-state-marks-christian-homes-in-mosul

Islamic State marks Christian homes in Mosul

Nasara3-300x225.jpg

Nasara2-300x225.jpg

Nasara1-256x300.jpg

They are marking the Christians’ homes with a ن, a nūn forNasara, which is the Qur’an’s word for Christians: Nazarenes. Probably they are doing this so that they can know from which houses to demand the jizya, the tax that the Qur’an demands that the subjugated People of the Book pay in the Islamic state: “Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued” (Qur’an 9:29).

18 July 2014 Last updated at 18:56 ET

Iraqi Christians flee after Isis issue Mosul ultimatum

_76386499_76386492.jpgThe Islamist militant group Isis has told Christians in Mosul to convert to Islam, pay a tax or be killed

Iraqi Christians are fleeing Mosul after Islamist militants threatened to kill them unless they converted to Islam or paid a "protection tax".

A statement issued by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) was read out at the city's mosques.

It called on Christians to comply by midday on Saturday or face death if they did not leave the northern city.

Isis has control of large parts of Syria and Iraq and said last month it was creating an Islamic caliphate.

The ultimatum cited a historic contract known as "dhimma," under which non-Muslims in Islamic societies who refuse to convert are offered protection if they pay a fee, called a "jizya".

"We offer them three choices: Islam; the dhimma contract - involving payment of jizya; if they refuse this they will have nothing but the sword," the Isis statement said.

_76386650_76386649.jpgIsis has declared the creation of an Islamic state in the parts of Syria and Iraq that is controls
_76386502_76386500.jpgA senior Christian cleric said the Islamist militants had been seen tagging Christian houses in the city

"Christian families are on their way to Dohuk and Irbil," in the neighbouring autonomous region of Kurdistan, Patriarch Louis Sako told the AFP news agency.

"For the first time in the history of Iraq, Mosul is now empty of Christians," he said.

The patriarch, one of the most senior Christian clerics in Iraq, said militants had been seen tagging Christian houses with the letter N for "Nassarah", a term used for Christians in the Koran.

Community destroyed

Iraq is home to one of the world's most ancient Christian communities but its population has dwindled amid growing sectarian violence since the US-led invasion in 2003.

Prior to 2003, the number of Christians in the city had been as high as 60,000, but that had dropped to about 35,000 by June this year, Mr Sako said.

He said another 10,000 fled Mosul after Isis took control at the beginning of June and numbers dropped have fallen rapidly since.

Isis issued a similar ultimatum in the Syrian city of Raqqa in February, calling on Christians to pay about half an ounce (14g) of pure gold in exchange for their safety.

10:22:19 / 07/2014

nwn18714-b.jpg

Khandan - left the Christian population Iraqi city of Mosul on the eve of the end of the deadline set for them to organize "Daash," as announced by the patriarch of the Chaldeans in Iraq and the world, Louis Sako. said Sacco told (AFP) "for the first time in the history of Iraq, emptied Mosul now Christians , "adding that" Christian families are migrating toward Dohuk and Erbil, "the Kurdistan region. said Sacco to leave the Christians to the second largest city in Iraq, which includes about 30 churches, some dating back to about 1500 years, came after the deployment of the organization "Daash" which dominates the city since more than a month issued a statement calling for them to leave it. said Sacco, the statement called on Christians in the city, "explicitly to embrace Islam, and either pay tribute without specifying the ceiling, or go out of their city and their homes, their clothes without any luggage, also decreed that the homes owned since now on to the state Islamic. " and pointed out that the elements "were earlier had written on the homes of Christian symbols Noon, no Christians, as they have written on the homes of Shiite symbols Alra any Ruad." was the statement issued by the "mandate of Nineveh," signed by "Islamic state" and the date of last week has spread to sites on the Internet, and which said that the organization wanted to meet with Christian leaders even Ejerhm between "Islam" or "the era of disclosure" any payment of tribute, threatening that "The Lapua it is not them but the sword." drew Sacco appeal to "owners of conscience in Iraq and the world, to the voice of the moderates of our fellow Muslims in Iraq and the world, to anyone who is interested is the continuation of Iraq as a nation for all its citizens (...) that these requirements was offensive to Muslims and to the reputation of the Islamic religion." and "It's set aside for 1400 years of history and the life of the Islamic world, and coexistence with different religions and different peoples, east and west and respect for their beliefs and brotherhood with it. " In Washington, expressed a spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department Jennifer Bsaki for "strong condemnation" for his organization "Daash" of abuses against religious minorities. said Bsaki that Washington "condemns in the strongest words of condemnation persecution systematic right minority ethnic and religious done by the terrorist group," she added Bsaki in a statement that "these heinous acts are only confirms that the task assigned to them (the elements Daash) is to divide and destroy Iraq, and contrary to the spirit of tolerance and peaceful coexistence, which called by Islam. "

I don't know, they sound like a friendly enough bunch.

/sarc

Sharia Philadelphia: Imam, mosque leader try to cut off accused thief’s hand

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/07/sharia-philadelphia-imam-mosque-leader-try-to-cut-off-accused-thiefs-hand

Robert Spencer    Jul 19, 2014 at 8:54am Sharia, United States  

Philadelphia Police Department photo of Merv Mitchell, also known as Mabul Shoatz“ The thief, the male and the female, amputate their hands in recompense for what they committed as a deterrent from Allah. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.” (Qur’an 5:38)

Why was Merv Mitchell, aka Mabul Shoatz, arrested? You can see from his impressive zebiba that he is simply a devout Muslim. He and his imam were following the plain word of their religion, which, as you can see from the above quote, mandates the amputation of the thief’s hand.

We are constantly told that we must have respect for Islam and that to oppose Sharia and its spread in the U.S. would be “Islamophobic” and “bigoted.” So Mabul Shoatz and the mosque imam should be issued apologies and allowed to finish their amputation without hindrance from the police.

WT*!!! Not in MY Country you don't!

Get back to your M.E. playland in the sand if you want to live by your own rules.

WT*!!! Not in MY Country you don't!

Get back to your M.E. playland in the sand if you want to live by your own rules.

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182628-isis-threatens-iraqi-christians-in-mosul-convert-pay-taxes-or-die/page-2#ixzz37wTOnvta

Exactly RVWITHME....   the process begins very slowly.,  that is why we must stay alert and keep up with the 

sites that shed light on Sharia Law in the USA....    

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/sharia-law-usa-states-ban_n_3660813.html

Sharia Law In The USA 101: A Guide To What It Is And Why States Want To Ban It

Religion News Service  |  By Omar SacirbeyPosted: 07/29/2013 7:10 am EDT

gplus-32.png

r-93282131-large570.jpg?6
GET RELIGION NEWSLETTERS:

(RNS) North Carolina lawmakers on Wednesday (July 24) approved a bill to prohibit judges from considering “foreign laws” in their decisions, but nearly everyone agrees that “foreign laws” really means Shariah, or Islamic law.

North Carolina now joins six other states — Oklahoma, Arizona, Kansas, Louisiana, South Dakota, and Tennessee — to pass a “foreign laws” bill. A similar bill passed in Missouri, but Gov. Jay Nixon vetoed it, citing threats to international adoptions.

The bills all cite “foreign laws” because two federal courts have ruled that singling out Shariah — as Oklahoma voters originally did in 2010 — is unconstitutional.

So what’s the big deal with Shariah?

Many Americans think of Shariah as an Islamic legal system characterized by misogyny, intolerance, and harsh punishments. Some anti-Islamic activists warn that Muslims are trying to sneak Shariah into the American legal system in ways that do not reflect U.S. legal principles or beliefs.

Many Muslim Americans counter that Shariah is essential to belief, and that any harsh punishments or unconstitutional aspects associated with Islamic law have either been exaggerated, abrogated or are superseded by American law.

Muslims around the world have varying views about what Shariah entails, and its role in personal and public life. So what exactly is Shariah? Here are five facts that might help make sense of this complex and often misunderstood term.

1. What is Shariah?

Shariah is an Arabic word that literally means a path to be followed, and also commonly refers to a path to water. The term is broad, encompassing both a personal moral code and religious law.

There are two sources of Shariah: The Quran, which many Muslims consider to be the literal word of God; and the “Sunnah,” the divinely guided tradition of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad.

The interpretation of Shariah is called “fiqh,” or Islamic jurisprudence. Because fiqh is man-made, it can be changed; Shariah, for many Muslims, is divine and cannot be changed.

Some Muslims use the term Shariah to apply to both the injunctions in the Quran and Sunnah, and the interpretation of the Quran and Sunnah. Islamic law consists of Shariah and fiqh.

2. What does Shariah cover?

While often thought of as a legal system, Shariah covers personal and collective spheres of daily life, and has three components – belief, character, and actions. Only a small portion of the “action” component relates to law. In fact, only about 80 of the Quran’s 6,236 verses are about specific legal injunctions.

• The “belief” component of Shariah commands Muslims to believe in God, the angels, prophets, revelation, and other metaphysical and physical aspects of the faith.
  • In terms of “character,” Shariah commands Muslims to strive for traits like humility and kindness, and to avoid traits such as lying and pride.
  • “Actions” include those relating to God, such as prayer, fasting, and pilgrimage, as well as actions relating to other humans, such as marriage, crime, and business.

Some actions relating to other humans can be regulated by the state, while actions relating to God (as well as belief and character) are between an individual and God. Nevertheless, some Muslim-majority countries have criminalized violations of the belief, character, and action components of Shariah.

3. Who is qualified to issue rulings on Shariah?

Shariah was systematized between the eighth and 10th centuries, some 200 to 300 years after Muhammad received his first revelation. Many people believe that, by the end of the 10th century, the core components of Shariah had been exhaustively debated. That said, changes in Islamic society force scholars to look at Shariah anew, with new interpretations expressed in fatwas (religious edicts) and legal opinions.

Interpreting Shariah is done by jurists known as “fuqahaa” who look at the practicality of both time and place regarding how a ruling can be applied. In places where Shariah has official status, it is interpreted by judges known as “qadis.” Fiqh interpretations divide human behavior into five categories: obligatory, recommended, neutral, discouraged, and forbidden.

Over the centuries, Islamic legal analyses and opinions were compiled in books that judges used in deciding cases. Secular courts and Shariah courts coexisted in Islamic lands, with the Shariah courts often taking responsibility for family law matters. With the arrival of European colonization, many of these legal opinions were codified into civil law.

4. Where is Shariah the law of the land?

Professor Jan Michiel Otto of the Leiden University Law School in the Netherlands divides legal systems of Muslim countries into three categories: classical Shariah systems, secular systems, and mixed systems.

In countries with classical Shariah systems, Shariah has official status or a high degree of influence on the legal system, and covers family law, criminal law, and in some places, personal beliefs, including penalties for apostasy, blasphemy, and not praying. These countries include Egypt, Mauritania, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, the Maldives, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and certain regions in Indonesia, Malaysia, Nigeria, and the United Arab Emirates.

Mixed systems are the most common in Muslim-majority countries. Generally speaking, Shariah covers family law, while secular courts will cover everything else. Countries include: Algeria, Comoros, Djibouti, Gambia, Libya, Morocco, Somalia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei, Gaza Strip, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Oman, and Syria.

In several Muslim-majority countries, Shariah plays no role: Burkina Faso, Chad, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Tunisia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Albania, Kosovo, and Turkey.

Some countries have Islamic family law courts available for their Muslim minorities: Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, India, Israel, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.

In the United States, there are no Islamic courts, but judges sometimes have to consider Islamic law in their decisions. For example, a judge may have to recognize the validity of an Islamic marriage contract from a Muslim country in order to grant a divorce in America.

Some Islamic scholars argue that true Islamic belief cannot be coerced by the state, and therefore belief in Shariah should only come from the individual and not be codified by the state.

5. Does Shariah really prescribe harsh punishments like stoning adulterers?

Yes, but many of these punishments have been taken out of context, abrogated, or require a near-impossible level of evidence to be carried out. For someone to be convicted of adultery, for example, there must be four witnesses to the act, which is rare. The Quran also prescribes amputating the hands of thieves, but (and this is often forgotten or unmentioned) not if the thief has repented.

Other Shariah scholars say such a punishment system can only be instituted in a society of high moral standards and where everyone’s needs are met (thereby obviating the urge to steal or commit other crimes). In such a society, the thinking goes, corporal punishments would be rarely needed.

That said, corporal punishments have been used by Islamic militant groups in places like Afghanistan, Somalia, and Syria, and governments in Iran, Saudi Arabia, the Aceh state in Indonesia and elsewhere.

and:

http://www.loonwatch.com/2014/03/new-anti-sharia-legislation-introduced-in-several-states/

and:

http://www.loonwatch.com/2014/03/new-anti-sharia-legislation-introduced-in-several-states/

New Anti-Sharia Legislation Introduced in Several States
by Emperor on March 1, 2014 in Loon PoliticsLoon-at-large

Lee-Bright.png?resize=300%2C174

Sen. Lee “not so” Bright.

New Anti-Sharia Legislation Introduced in Several States

(Imagine2050)

The 2014 legislative year has already seen legislation proposed that would ban the application of Sharia law in state courts. There are currently nine states that have introduced some variation of a bill aiming to block Islamic law. Most of the bills have carried over from 2013 with the exception of Vermont, which has introduced its first bill of this stature.

The bills are intended to combat the perceived threat that Muslims are undermining the United States Constitution and imposing Sharia law. Although almost none of the bills mention Sharia or other religious law specifically, instead opting for more neutral language, such as “foreign” and “international” law, their intent to vilify Muslims remains very much the same.

The bills are modeled after legislation entitled American Laws for American Courts (ALAC), which was authored by anti-Muslim lawyer and activist David Yerushalmi. The decision to explicitly leave out words like Sharia and Islam reflects a recent court case in Oklahoma where a federal judge ruled that legislation directly targeting Sharia law was in violation of Muslims’ Constitutional rights. However, the bill was amended and secured Oklahoma as the sixth state to enact such a law. Now even more states are looking to pass their own versions.

South Carolina State Senator Lee Bright ® is one of the lawmakers trying to pass this type of legislation in his state. Bright is a prime example of the paranoia and anti-Muslim demagoguery behind these bills. Over the summer, Bright, who is primarying Lindsey Graham (R-SC) for a 2014 Senate seat, accused the senator of being a “community organizer for the Muslim Brotherhood.” This was after Graham took a diplomatic trip to Egypt with Senator John McCain (R-AZ). In a recent speech, Bright also went on a diatribe about Muslim immigration, asserting that the country might be admitting terrorists.

“We got to be careful about who we let into this country,” he told the crowd. “A lot of these folks from terrorist nations are coming in on student visas, and we shouldn’t allow it.” Later in the speech, Bright referred to immigrants crossing the Southern border unlawfully as “an invasion” and claimed some of them might have connections to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Bright is not the only state representative looking to have a bill of this category passed, however. Listed below are all of the proposed 2014 anti-Sharia bills:

• Florida has introduced Senate Bill 386. The bill’s sponsor is Sen. Alan Hays ®, who last year proposed SB 58, which died on the Senate floor. Hays has previously compared Sharia law to a “dreadful disease,” and its only vaccination is anti-Sharia legislation.

• Georgia has introduced HB 895 and SR 808 prohibiting courts from recognizing foreign and international law.

• Iowa’s House Bill 76 was carried over from 2013 and has been referred to a Judiciary House Committee.

• Kentucky has introduced HB 43, which has been referred to a House Judiciary Committee.

• Missouri has re-introduced SB 619. The bill’s sponsor is Republican State Senator Brian Knieves, an anti-immigrant legislator and member of the State Legislators for Legal Immigration. SB 619 was vetoed last summer by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon.

• South Carolina has introduced three bills: HB 4494, which specifically bans Sharia, and SB 60 and 81, both of which were carried over from 2013. Sen. Bright is responsible for SB 81.

• Mississippi has introduced HB 44, which has been referred to a House Judiciary Committee.

• Vermont has introduced SB 265 and is the state’s first anti-Sharia bill.

• West Virginia has introduced SB 2116, which is currently in a Judiciary House Committee.

• Washington has introduced SB 6118 and HB 1392, which carried over from 2013.

Legislation outlawing Sharia law in state courts remains unnecessary and a distraction from more pressing matters. The background of the laws and its fringe sponsors show their true intent and has no place in our legislative process.

For more on Senator Lee Bright and his controversial views, visit The National Memo here.

“Lee Bright Warns of Immigrant ‘Invasion’ From ‘Terrorist Nations’” (via Right Wing Watch)