Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A WORD for Wednesday, July 16, 2014

ronscarpa

A WORD for Wednesday, July 16, 2014 

Wealth and the Kingdom of God
Read Mark 10:17–31 (see below)

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34

Examples of work and workers run throughout the Gospel of Mark, but today’s passage is one of the few times the book directly addresses economic activity. It might be tempting to dismiss this story as simply an exhortation against greed, but when we examine the context more closely we find that love is at the heart of this story of a wealthy man, his money, and Jesus and his kingdom.

The drama of this scene begins with the man throwing himself at Jesus’ feet and pleading to know how to secure eternal life. Jesus lists several of the Ten Commandments, and this man can truthfully say he has kept them all since his boyhood. This is a person whose vision extended beyond the present material world and who has prioritized virtuous living. Unlike the despised tax collectors, this man had not earned his wealth through exploiting others.

Jesus loved this man, and He invited him to come on the road with Him. This man had the opportunity to travel with Jesus, fellowshipping with Him and learning from Him. All he had to do was give away all of his wealth. To help with his decision, Jesus even reminded him that giving it away was really a kind of transfer from earth to heaven. But “at this the man’s face fell,” and he went away sad (v. 22).

The man’s love for his money outweighed his love for Jesus and desire to be a part of the kingdom of God. We should not be too quick to dismiss him as selfish and shallow. The story is more harrowing than that interpretation would allow. This man knew about Jesus. He wanted to learn about eternal life. He cared about spiritual things. But his attachment to his wealth and status overruled his willingness to choose Jesus over money.

Apply the Word

Most of us can relate to this man’s struggle. What are we choosing over Jesus? When He calls us to do something, what are we clinging to instead? Do we follow Him with our choices about our resources, including our money and our time? Or are we holding on to our status, our wealth, and our comfort and trying to squeeze Jesus in on the side?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark 10:17-31 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Rich Young Ruler

17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments, ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up.” 21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But at these words [a]he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.

23 And Jesus, looking around, *said to His disciples, “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?” 27 Looking at them, Jesus *said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.”

28 Peter began to say to Him, “Behold, we have left everything and followed You.” 29 Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, 30 [c]but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in [d]the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last, first.”

• Upvote 3

Christ was basically offering to be a disciple. Think of his name being mentioned as one of the 12. Is my analysis valid?

I believe He already had the 12, Mark 3:16-19 lists the 12. He was just asking him to follow him. Just like He asks us.

Wm13

WM13,

Thank the Holy Spirit for using you to bless us with this reminder...

As much as some of us love Yahushua/Jesus and do our best to follow him we still have those moments of temptation and weakness and we need to always be aware that when we start to slip and put something or someone before our Heavenly Father we are in serious error.

That is why I personally sometimes wonder if I should have even gotten involved in this whole dinar thing... I am poor and I certainly won't be wealthy if we do see a RV but, it would help a lot and enable me to help others in ways that I haven't been able to in a long time so, there are pros and cons to whole thing... And then there are those who are all about the money and what they can get and how much of it they can get and how lavish they can live (and maybe some already do) but, they don't for a second think about others who are down or in serious need and that maybe they could help to make a real change for some of them.

If You Have the Holy Spirit in you then you automatically want to do these kind of things and you are compelled to show your love for other Brothers and Sisters in need... and even those who hate you.

Let's remember to always put Christ first and allow him to guide us in the choices we make.

• Upvote 2