Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki leaves the parliament session at the request of one of the House of Representatives

yota691

Thanks hi-five!

From the Iraqi constitution:

Sixth: No member of the Council of Representatives shall be allowed to hold any other official position or work. (Maliki currently holds the office of Prime Minister in the old government, therefor cannot be properly sworn in to the new parliament)

Article 48:

Each member of the Council of Representatives must take the following constitutional oath before the Council prior to assuming his duties: (Maliki has not taken the oath to be a new Member of Parliament because he currently occupies the Prime Minister position.)

• Upvote 4

Print some leaflets of Saddam being hung, and pass them around Iraqi Parliament.

....very slick enforcement of the rules of Parliament.....I'm impressed

congrats to the Roberts Rules of Order nerd types out there.....they really have their uses, at times like this!

• Upvote 1

WOW, that would be fantastic.  Not living under a parliament, I certainly don't know one way or the other, but it sure SOUNDS like it makes sense as far as how that kind of government tends to run things.  They do seem to handle things a bit differently than a congressiional democracy, for sure!!!

So if true, and I hope it is; Maliki could still just simply seize power, after all, that is what he did last time.  BUT, at least it would be even less legal than what he did last time.  So if he is in limbo, politically, did he maybe show up to get sworn in today?  Was that maybe his plan?  Could he have somehow tweaked the rules, and been "grandfathered" in to a MP position by attending a full session?  And then be "safe"?  And since he got his butt thrown out, he is still neither fish nor foul?  And didn't dare make a fuss?

I know, lol, too damn many questions huh?  hahahhahahahahah  But it gets me wondering..........

• Upvote 1

WOW, that would be fantastic.  Not living under a parliament, I certainly don't know one way or the other, but it sure SOUNDS like it makes sense as far as how that kind of government tends to run things.  They do seem to handle things a bit differently than a congressiional democracy, for sure!!!

So if true, and I hope it is; Maliki could still just simply seize power, after all, that is what he did last time.  BUT, at least it would be even less legal than what he did last time.  So if he is in limbo, politically, did he maybe show up to get sworn in today?  Was that maybe his plan?  Could he have somehow tweaked the rules, and been "grandfathered" in to a MP position by attending a full session?  And then be "safe"?  And since he got his butt thrown out, he is still neither fish nor foul?  And didn't dare make a fuss?

I know, lol, too damn many questions huh?  hahahhahahahahah  But it gets me wondering..........

Some of my friends on another site think this is exactly why those British parliamentary advisers were over there a couple weeks ago. I actually posed a similar scenario to yours over there, that Maliki, having written a lot of the Iraqi constitution, thought he could slip in, quietly hand in his resignation, be sworn in, and things would go as he had planned, but the good guys blindsided him by asking him to leave before he could be sworn in, and now, he's in a position where he either has to resign, in which case he loses immunity and the opposition can delay parliament for as long as it takes to have him arrested for his many crimes, or he declares a military dictatorship, in which case we drop a Hellfire on his head while the whole world applauds the death of a nascent dictatorship.

• Upvote 4

I bet Maliki was foaming at the mouth....told to remove his camel from the "preferred parking" area and exit, stage right. Wonder how that phone call to Biden went??  Probably something like....."waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. They won't let me play."

• Upvote 1

Some of my friends on another site think this is exactly why those British parliamentary advisers were over there a couple weeks ago. I actually posed a similar scenario to yours over there, that Maliki, having written a lot of the Iraqi constitution, thought he could slip in, quietly hand in his resignation, be sworn in, and things would go as he had planned, but the good guys blindsided him by asking him to leave before he could be sworn in, and now, he's in a position where he either has to resign, in which case he loses immunity and the opposition can delay parliament for as long as it takes to have him arrested for his many crimes, or he declares a military dictatorship, in which case we drop a Hellfire on his head while the whole world applauds the death of a nascent dictatorship.

Wow, ReVbo!  Now that makes a lot of sense.   Parliamentarians all over the world may come up with a name for this move.  The Maliki!

Edited by Butifldrm
  • Upvote 1

After about a quarter of an hour at the hearing, left the Prime Minister outgoing Nuri al-Maliki, accompanied by a number of ministers, governors Hall of Parliament at the request of the Kurdistan Alliance bloc because they did not perform the constitutional oath. He told deputies, "future" yesterday that the Kurdistan Alliance MP Mohsen Saadoun asked the prime age for the House of Representatives to order the Mehdi al-Hafez leave Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and the ministers and governors of the parliamentary session because they did not perform the constitutional oath and are still engaged in their work within the executive branch.