Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Whats it like

doc80904

I see a great deal here and I too am here on the ground in Iraq but I would like to say first of all that while I do speak with the locals, (LN) for short, I rely little on what is told me by them.

As some of you have seen I posted a statement on this site a little while ago and was met with very kind words, that I do appriciate. One thing that I do see regularly here is a lot of hype and what I would like to say is what I see and what I hear and feel. First of all I arrived here in 2004 at a time that this country was dead. It was in a totally shattered state. When we would leave the wire fire fights were common to the point of two to three per time spent outside the wire was the norm and not the exception. Roads were almost completely non-existant, people were begging for simple things, for instance water and MRE (Meals Ready to Eat). As time continued things began to improve, for example vehicles began to appear more and more but all was still very bad as a whole. By mid 2005 roads began to become more common but attacks were common as well. Things have gotten better as time goes on and I am sure most of you have little interest in the progression of time here. What most are concerned with here are the standards and what do they mean now.

In answer to that concern here is the answer. I travel greatly through central and southern Iraq by air mostly and some convoy as well and see things as they are. Towns and villages are springing up all over within the last three years. I have watched a strong farming culture developing, with vehicle traffic becomming more and more regular with some rather nice vehicles such as Mercades and Volvo cars present. Satalite TV systems are common place items on homes and black-outs have become more and more rare with the passing of time. Banks are opening on the different military bases and local businesses are moving onto those bases as well. On the base that I work we have Oriental, Mediterian and Itialian resturants opening all owned by the local economy which is not bad as I would have thought at first. Shopping malls are being built along with a strong tourism base realitive to what one would expect of a redeveloping country. Finally a financial base is building which is gaining strength. What you are no doubt hearing the dollar is not being used within Iraq so how are they paying for all of this progress.....

That is a great question and one that I personally do not have the answer other than to say in the beginning the dollar was the standard and was for a long time but not now. I have not seen any other, and I do mean any other, form of currency being used through the time that I arrived until now but the dollar and the dinar. Make no question, this country is coming to life and becoming stronger by the minute. what will happen in the future I have no idea but there is no comparision from when I got here and now other than to say night and day. I hope that this helps answer questions you may have.

• Upvote 8

Thanks doc80904 for your service and your insight. This has been more than just an investment for myself. It has been an education and an opportunity to watch history take place. I find it remarkable to see a country in the Middle East ( of all places) see what the beauty of freedom can provide even as clumsy as their process has been. Not unlike a kid taking off the training wheels and giving it a go. A little reckless at first but well worth the risk. Thanks again! I can feel your personal pride and you certainly have earned it. Keep up the good work a little longer and then come on home. We are all very grateful to all of you in service.

thanks for the post What an experience this must have been for you to watch the progress there. I do think of the people there and hope their lives are changed for the better. We are so lucky in the USA. Your post really toched my heart and thanks again. are you working there or in the service?

Thanks doc80904 for your service and your insight. This has been more than just an investment for myself. It has been an education and an opportunity to watch history take place. I find it remarkable to see a country in the Middle East ( of all places) see what the beauty of freedom can provide even as clumsy as their process has been. Not unlike a kid taking off the training wheels and giving it a go. A little reckless at first but well worth the risk. Thanks again! I can feel your personal pride and you certainly have earned it. Keep up the good work a little longer and then come on home. We are all very grateful to all of you in service.

drox expressed my own thoughts. This has been an education for me. Thanks doc for sharing and I am very interesting in any news about the progress of the people of Iraq. Thanks for serving!

luckylucy

I see a great deal here and I too am here on the ground in Iraq but I would like to say first of all that while I do speak with the locals, (LN) for short, I rely little on what is told me by them.

As some of you have seen I posted a statement on this site a little while ago and was met with very kind words, that I do appriciate. One thing that I do see regularly here is a lot of hype and what I would like to say is what I see and what I hear and feel. First of all I arrived here in 2004 at a time that this country was dead. It was in a totally shattered state. When we would leave the wire fire fights were common to the point of two to three per time spent outside the wire was the norm and not the exception. Roads were almost completely non-existant, people were begging for simple things, for instance water and MRE (Meals Ready to Eat). As time continued things began to improve, for example vehicles began to appear more and more but all was still very bad as a whole. By mid 2005 roads began to become more common but attacks were common as well. Things have gotten better as time goes on and I am sure most of you have little interest in the progression of time here. What most are concerned with here are the standards and what do they mean now.

In answer to that concern here is the answer. I travel greatly through central and southern Iraq by air mostly and some convoy as well and see things as they are. Towns and villages are springing up all over within the last three years. I have watched a strong farming culture developing, with vehicle traffic becomming more and more regular with some rather nice vehicles such as Mercades and Volvo cars present. Satalite TV systems are common place items on homes and black-outs have become more and more rare with the passing of time. Banks are opening on the different military bases and local businesses are moving onto those bases as well. On the base that I work we have Oriental, Mediterian and Itialian resturants opening all owned by the local economy which is not bad as I would have thought at first. Shopping malls are being built along with a strong tourism base realitive to what one would expect of a redeveloping country. Finally a financial base is building which is gaining strength. What you are no doubt hearing the dollar is not being used within Iraq so how are they paying for all of this progress.....

That is a great question and one that I personally do not have the answer other than to say in the beginning the dollar was the standard and was for a long time but not now. I have not seen any other, and I do mean any other, form of currency being used through the time that I arrived until now but the dollar and the dinar. Make no question, this country is coming to life and becoming stronger by the minute. what will happen in the future I have no idea but there is no comparision from when I got here and now other than to say night and day. I hope that this helps answer questions you may have.

That is the greatest post I have ever read on here, thank you for posting, more important , THANKS for your service.

doc80904 - Thank you for sharing your service, time, insight, and experience. We are witnessing a miracle. The future is indeed exciting for these people and those who believe and love freedom.

Go Iraq! Go Dinar! Yes for freedom and prosperity for all!

Blessings! to you Doc and to ALL

:)

Of all the posts I have read in my time invested in this adventure yours has been the most inspirational. You know each and everyday we await the news of the RV while people struggle through life trying to make ends meet not only there but all over the world. Not to mention our troops and personnel that help and put their lives on the line each day so the Iragi people can have their lives put back in order. Even though I hold dinar and hope for an RV I truly hope for the best for the Iragi people and the safe return of all our troops and personnel. Thank you for the wonderful post. God speed Semper Fi

Thank you all very much for the kind words. It is a pleasure to serve and always will be so.

doc80904, Thank you so much for your post. It is nice to hear what is going on over in Iraq from someone that has been there for awhile. You definitely write some of the most thoughtful/insightful posts on this site. I am glad to see you don't purport to have intel just because you are over there. NO Hype!! :) Thanks for all you do.

Thank you doc80904, for your post and enlightening us on the situation over there. It sounds like things are developing very quickly. I just hope they can finally form their government and then Ri/RV! :rolleyes:

Of all the posts I have read in my time invested in this adventure yours has been the most inspirational. You know each and everyday we await the news of the RV while people struggle through life trying to make ends meet not only there but all over the world. Not to mention our troops and personnel that help and put their lives on the line each day so the Iragi people can have their lives put back in order. Even though I hold dinar and hope for an RV I truly hope for the best for the Iragi people and the safe return of all our troops and personnel. Thank you for the wonderful post. God speed Semper Fi

Thank you all very much for the kind words. It is a pleasure to serve and always will be so.

Thank you doc80904 and all that you have done and do....Thanks for the post, it is refreshing to hear a good report from one who is there to witness just what is happening...may GOD bless and keep you and bring you home soon....GOD BLESS.....