Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Finally Maliki Resigns !

DinarThug

I was in Kirkuk for almost a year in 2004-2005. The Kurds have been wanting this for - literally - centuries.  I would be surprised if they didn't take the opportunity. Of the people I did meet over there - they are probably the most progressive and open of the 3 factions.

exactly they have been wanting it for centuries yet  it hasnt happened that should tell you all you need to know.  Aint gonna happen and never will happen under the current constitution anyone that buys into it is just wishful thinking just like the kurds have done for centuries lol you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice then to see iraq seperate.  Washington will NOT allow it.

Edited by easyrider

The Peshmerga are heroes – a beacon of hope and peace not only to the people of Kurdistan, but also to the rest of the Middle East. A Facebook/Instagram campaign in support of the Peshmerga is in the making, called “We Are All Peshmerga” to express admiration for the Peshmerga’s resilience and effectiveness in the face of terror.

The bravery and courage of the Peshmerga forces has been evident in world media in recent weeks, with reports saying they’ve protected innocent civilians from terrorist attacks leaking into Iraq from Syria. The terrorists go by the name “Islamic State of Iraq and Sham” (ISIS), indicating their intention to establish a Sharia state based on Wahabi-Salafist interpretations of Islamic law – rules which can be deemed backwards at best.

The Iraqi army is reported to have fled en masse, leaving vehicles, weapons and equipment – they even shed their military attire in fear of being recognized.

Peshmerga forces stepped in to save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in the Mosul, Kirkuk and Diyala provinces.

Most of the Iraqi military equipment, it appears, has fallen into the terrorists’ hands, making them better equipped than the Peshmerga. For this we can thank the US, which refused to arm the Peshmerga out of fear that a mighty Kurdish army would lead to Kurdish independence.

Alas, Polat Talabani, commander of the counterterrorism unit of the Peshmerga, said in a recent interview with The Christian Science Monitor, “We are in it 100 percent, but wars are not fought without ammunition. We can only hold out for two weeks in Khanaqin with current supplies.” The commandos under Talabani’s leadership are a 160-strong battalion that received Delta Force training under US supervision in 2003.

However, what the Peshmerga lack in weaponry they make up in courage and endurance. Moreover, as last weeks’ events proved, no weapons can overcome their sheer determination. It is not for nothing they are called “Peshmerga,” which means “those who face death” in Kurdish. This name was awarded the fearless warriors during the establishment of the Kurdistan Republic, with had its capital at Mehabad in Iranian Kurdistan in 1946.

The president of the republic, Qazi Mohammed, was charged with “treason” and, along with his cabinet ministers, hanged at the main city square, Çwarçira. Immediately after hanging the “traitors,” the Iranians set fire to all Kurdish books and libraries.

This was not the first or the last time Kurds would be tortured, hanged or shot for “treason” by a state for which they held no allegiance or loyalty. Iran, Turkey, Syria and Iraq have all punished Kurds for simply being Kurdish for centuries.

and speaking Kurdish “Iraq,” “Syria” and “Turkey” are all states with shorter lifespans than the Kurdish aspiration for statehood, which was first set on paper by Ehmed Khani in his epic love story, Mem û Zîn, in 1692.

One can argue that the tolerance and acceptance that Kurds display toward ethnic minorities, despite their own history of being discriminated against, is astounding. Kurdistan is a mosaic of ethnicities and religions. Assyrians, Armenians, Chaldeans, Turkmens, Shabaks and Arabs are in the ranks of Pehmerga forces, and they fight side by side with their Kurdish compatriots to defend their families, hamlets and a peaceful future for their people. The region includes more than five religious denominations: Christians, Jews, Muslims of both Shia and Sunni allegiance and adherents of Kurdistan’s own indigenous religions, Zoroastrianism and Yezidism, all of whom live serenely as neighbors. Few other nations in the Middle East, if any, can boast that church bells and mosque muezzins can be heard simultaneously in one and the same hamlet.

With roots in such diversity, the Peshmerga are an example of unity in the face of growing sectarianism for the rest of the Middle East. More recently, the Peshmerga and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) have taken in half a million refugees fleeing from ISIS in Mosul alone. A staggering number, considering the KRG itself has a population of just 5.2 million according to the KRG’s own official numbers.

Not only are the Peshmerga diverse in ethnic and religious backgrounds, but since the very early days of the Kurdish struggle for independence, women have had an important role in protecting Kurdistan from marauding vultures and thieves while the men were away. The women of Kurdistan are famous in literature for their seductive beauty, and more so in oral tradition for their strong character and intellect, with many heroines and brave women populating Kurdish children’s stories.

The record shows women in Kurdistan have a history of serving in prominent positions; Asenath Barzani was the first Jewish woman to become an ordained rabbi, in the early years of the 17th century.

Assyrian (and Christian) Margareth Shello was the first woman to serve in the ranks of the Peshmerga, joining in 1960 under the command of General Mustafa Barzani, having returned to South Kurdistan after a decade in exile in the Soviet Republic.

General Mustafa Barzani, who was the head of the 1946 Kurdistan Republic’s army, is often quoted as having said, “Sêr sêr e, çi mêr e çi nêr e,” meaning, “Whether male or female, a lion is still a lion.”

The Elite Women’s Unit has 600 registered recruits, yet there are no accurate numbers available for how many women currently serve in the Peshmerga. One can only assume that they number in the hundreds, if not the thousands.

Although from Margareth Shello to today’s head of the Elite Women’s Unit, Colonel Rasheed, there have been thousands of women Peshmergas in Kurdish history.

Kerkûk, a deal breaker during the 1975 negotiations between General Barzani and Saddam Hussein, is now under Kurdish control again. Previous naïve policies of appeasement toward the US and the central Baghdad government saw the Peshmerga leave the city to the Iraqi army, after having liberated it from Saddam Hussein’s clutches, in favor of a political solution enshrined in article 140 of the Iraqi constitution. Naïve because none of the conditions described in article 140 have been fully implemented since the inauguration of the constitution in 2005.

The Peshmerga currently control all of the historic and majority Kurdish areas of South Kurdistan, or “Iraqi Kurdistan.”

Still, as you read these words, hundreds of refugees are making their way to the safe and serene Kurdistan Region, which is defended by the brave Peshmerga.

At a time when the US is wary of war and cautious of aiding the Iraqi government with military personnel to fight the terrorist threat, ISIS terrorists are ever making new advances. The only resistance the terrorists have met has been from Peshmerga forces on the barricades, stepping up to defend their liberty, their homeland and their people.

The Peshmerga are heroes.

The author is a student of Political Science at Østfold University College, Norway and a scholar on Kurdistan and the Kurds.

I posted the article that Tankdude posted the link.

exactly they have been wanting it for centuries yet  it hasnt happened that should tell you all you need to know.  Aint gonna happen and never will happen under the current constitution anyone that buys into it is just wishful thinking just like the kurds have done for centuries lol you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice then to see iraq seperate.  Washington will NOT allow it.

I agree with you that they have wanted it for years and it has not happened yet..for whatever reason. This is the best opportunity for it to happen if it is going to. I hope you are right easy and it does not come to pass. I believe that Kerry is there to push that is does NOT happen. 

ooops...we are stirring up the gurus....10 members and 27 guests...lol

here is another one.....

http://fortune.com/2014/06/20/kurds-edge-towards-statehood-with-turkish-israeli-help/?xid=ob_rss

The age-old dream of a Kurdish state is on the verge of being realized as the authority of Iraq’s central government frays.

The world may be focusing on the looming battle for Baghdad between Sunni militants and Shia-led government forces, but the real dismemberment of Iraq may be happening further north, where the region of Kurdistan looks more and more like making its own dash for statehood.

The predominantly Kurdish population in northern Iraq has had to fend largely for itself since last week, when Iraqi government forces, retreating before the advance of the Islamic State of Syria and the Levant (ISIL), abandoned the region’s biggest city and oil hub Kirkuk, and left it, along with a big part of the country’s oil reserves, in the hands of the Kurdish Regional Government and its “peshmerga” militia units.

A motivated and homogenous bunch, the peshmerga appear more than capable of holding their own against ISIL, the militant Sunni group that is now threatening Baghdad after taking Mosul, Iraq’s second city.

But to be viable, a Kurdish state would need to be able to get its biggest commercial asset, crude oil, to market, in violation of a 2004 deal (brokered by the U.S.) on sharing the revenue from oil sales with the Baghdad government. With government forces not able or willing to defend Kurdistan against ISIL, than deal now looks worthless to the Kurds.

Although the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) denies doing anything wrong, the signs are that it is increasingly sees itself as free to dispose of its oil as it sees fit. Reuters reportedFriday that a tanker full of Kurdish crude was due to unload at Israel’s Ashkelon port, defying threats of legal action from Baghdad.

To get to world markets, Kurdish oil flows from Kirkuk by pipeline to the Turkish port of Ceyhan on the Mediterranean. Flows normally average between 100,000-120,000 barrels a day, and around 2.3 million barrels are currently stored at Ceyhan, Bloomberg quoted Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz as saying Thursday. Yildiz seemed more than inclined to let the Kurds ship and sell their oil, calling such sales “entirely legitimate.”

It is the evolution of Turkish policy that makes Kurdish statehood possible, as the oil can only flow with Turkey’s by-your-leave. Once the imperial power in the region, Turkey had until recently feared that an independent Kurdish state would destabilize Kurdish regions in its own south and east. But it now appears to see a Kurdish state as a possible bulwark against Sunni fanaticism, and to accept that the multi-ethnic, multi-confessional, democratic Iraq that the U.S. tried to create is beyond salvaging.

“The Kurds of Iraq can decide for themselves the name and type of the entity they are living in,” the Kurdish-based news outlet Rudaw quoted a spokesman for Turkey’s ruling AK Party as saying in an interview Friday. “Turkey has been supporting the Kurdistan Region till now and will continue this support.”

Iraq is a nation. That includes baghdad and kudistan as a whole.  Its like a divorce between a husband and wife that have kids.  They are divorcing for their own selfish reasons and not thinking about the consequences it wil cause later down the road to the kids(iraqi citizens).  Washington knows this. This will cause chaos even more if they seperate.  Also think of it this way if you live in a nice neighborhood but then right down the street you have gangs shooting each other up eventually it will spill into your area. You think its bad now? it would be even worse if they seperate. The solution is sharing of power, its the only way Iraq will survive.

Edited by easyrider

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2014/0624/Kerry-urges-Iraqi-unity-but-Kurds-and-ISIS-are-creating-facts-on-ground

Can Iraq hold together? Should outside powers help it?

Those questions are being tested like never before in Iraq, with a general Sunni Arab uprising comprised of jihadis, former Iraqi army officers and soldiers, and major tribal confederations, taking vast stretches of territory. And while US Secretary of State John Kerry was in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan

urging national reconciliation today, the Kurds have already carved out more territory for themselves and may see an opportunity to strike out alone.

"We are facing a new reality and a new Iraq,” Kurdish Regional Government President Massoud Barzani told Mr. Kerry today.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2014/0624/Kerry-urges-Iraqi-unity-but-Kurds-and-ISIS-are-creating-facts-on-ground

Those questions are being tested like never before in Iraq, with a general Sunni Arab uprising comprised of jihadis, former Iraqi army officers and soldiers, and major tribal confederations, taking vast stretches of territory. And while US Secretary of State John Kerry was in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan

urging national reconciliation today, the Kurds have already carved out more territory for themselves and may see an opportunity to strike out alone.

"We are facing a new reality and a new Iraq,” Kurdish Regional Government President Massoud Barzani told Mr. Kerry today.

Easy is right - Washington doesn't want this - and yes, it could create what some would see as a power vacuum in the area - but honestly, isn't it already there? The Kurds have have pretty much been autonomous except in name since 2003.  I hope that the leadership in Iraq can come to see that the only way to create themselves as a true power is to share that power among their factions - but honestly my hope on that is beginning to wane.  That being said - I'm hanging on for the rest of the ride to see what happens!

• Upvote 1

Easy is right - Washington doesn't want this - and yes, it could create what some would see as a power vacuum in the area - but honestly, isn't it already there? The Kurds have have pretty much been autonomous except in name since 2003.  I hope that the leadership in Iraq can come to see that the only way to create themselves as a true power is to share that power among their factions - but honestly my hope on that is beginning to wane.  That being said - I'm hanging on for the rest of the ride to see what happens!

agreed i understand Kurdistan is well more civilized and westernized than baghdad and very wealthy and actually care abut their people but they will always be a part of baghdad and iraq as a whole.  Their relationship is like an old married couple they fight and argue and bicker at each other but they come to terms that this is their fate  and their stuck with each other.  I believe the pressure from Iran and the U.s might have been what was needed to get their butts in gear. We shal see in the coming days how serious they truly are. Once the money starts flowing, Iraq will more than likely be the wealthiest country of the Middle east.

Edited by easyrider

Easy, that is kinda what I aluded to in the tank a few minutes ago......I feel if they stick this thing out together..The Kurds will keep baghdads coffer full of oil money and things will move on along.

Thanks so much for your insight...much appreciated my friend

tankdue.....

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/180812-finally-maliki-resigns/page-5#ixzz35ZlX6bdo

thanks so much for all you have brought to ease my concerns this morning.....you my friend are much appreciated!!!!

• Upvote 1

"........................................................................................................NO!"  He received 90+% of the vote I recall.........why would he resign??  If all it takes is for people to "tell" him he needs to resign....then I have a few US politicians that need told also!"

• Upvote 3

Found this!

1. "guru" DC posted this:

6-25-2014   Intel Guru DC   [via Adept1]   [NBC news says, “Iraq’s new government is ready and new PM has been selected.  Maliki is preparing his exit speech.” What do you think about that?]  It’s wonderful, but things can change until they are formal. I  wouldn’t hold my breath on M retiring until everyone has voted on this.  Maliki is extremely bright and we won’t count him out until it’s done.  I think it’s 85% likely that Madhi gets it, but we have to see. ...you don’t have to have a PM in order to have an RV.  

---- Some fake feed he's addressing, I haven't found anything like that from NBC, but I did find THIS from Al-Jazeera:

"Maliki's electoral bloc won by far the most seats in April 30 parliamentary elections with 92, nearly three times as many as the next biggest party, and the incumbent himself tallied 720,000 personal votes, also far and away the most."

SOURCE:

The U.S. (Kerry) is pressuring Maliki to form a unity government before more help is offered. It's in that article.

So there you have it! Actual election results. I don't think Maliki will be stepping down.
He says a unity government would be a coup that would go against the voters. 

Also, DC predicts RI/RV before July 4th. 

I guess until it gets pushed back again to string everyone along.....

I myself offered my knees to slam the ground in thanks and praise if it happens before the 4th to allow any excuses after July 1

such as computer glitch, 72 hours, banks getting ready, etc. etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

Maliki hasn't resigned yet, but the pressure is on and here's something from MAINSTREAM MEDIA (Associated Press):

http://news.yahoo.com/iraqi-shiites-pushing-al-malikis-removal-205351865.html

Some main interesting points from the article:

Compounding the pressure on al-Maliki, a prominent Shiite cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr, called in a televised statement late Wednesday for a national unity government of "new faces" representing all groups.

Also, Iraq's most revered and influential Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, appealed to al-Maliki through an intermediary to step aside because he fears al-Maliki is driving Iraq into fragmentation, according to a senior member of a prominent Shiite family that has for decades maintained regular contact with al-Sistani.

Iraq's vice president called on the new parliament to convene Tuesday, when, under the constitution, its first step will be to elect a speaker. It then has 30 days to elect a new president, replacing ailing Kurdish politician Jalal Talabani, who has held the post for two terms and is ineligible for another. The president's job will likely go to Kurdish politician Barham Saleh, a former deputy prime minister.

The president will have 15 days to mandate the head of parliament's largest bloc to form a new government. That prime minister-designate will then have 30 days to put together a coalition.

------OK looks like we're talking August-September till the new government is seated, if the process actually starts on time.

VACATION TIME!!

• Upvote 2

AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNND we just got the 72 hours excuse from GURU STEVE.

The consensus is that new PM = RV/RI and Maliki will step down by Tuesday. That blankets the 72 hours.

Think Maliki will step down? I THINK NOT anytime soon!

The Kurds are jumping at the opportunity to form an independent nation in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

It's all over MAINSTREAM NEWS ranging from Reuters to Christian Science Monitor....

Mailiki REFUSES to step down and will continue to fight.

Meanwhile in MAINSTREAM NEWS (which means you can look it up yourself and verify), Iraq's Parliamentary Speaker Osama al-Nujaifi IS stepping down.

Iraq's parliamentary speaker Osama al-Nujaifi says he will not nominate himself for another term. Nujaifi is one of the major opponents of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, and his resignation may pave the way for Maliki to step down as well. "I appreciate the demands of the brothers in the National Alliance who see that Maliki will insist on holding on to the premiership if I nominate myself for speaker of the Council of the Representatives," he said. Iraq's politicians have not been able to make any progress in forming a new government, and this week Sunni and Kurd leaders walked out of the first meeting in protest. Many blame Maliki for heavy-handed, sectarian rule that has assisted the rise of ISIS.

• Upvote 1

Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki vows fight for third term

Iraqi forces are trying to take back towns and cities seized by Sunni rebels

Continue reading the main story

Struggle for Iraq

Key players in Sunni revolt

'Dangerous development'

What does Isis want? Watch

Race against time

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki says he will "never give up" on his bid for a third term in office despite foreign and domestic pressure.

He said he would remain a "soldier" in the fight against Sunni militants.

Mr Maliki's alliance of Shia parties won parliamentary elections in April.

However he is seen by many in Iraq as having exacerbated the crisis in Iraq with policies favouring his own Shia community while marginalising the minority Sunni Arabs.

The US has led appeals to Mr Maliki and other prominent Iraqi political leaders to rise above sectarian and ethnic divisions.

At the same time, some US Congressional leaders - including Republican John McCain - have openly called for Mr Maliki to be ousted, viewing him as unsalvageable.

Mr Maliki earlier rejected demands for a national unity government to help counter the offensive by jihadist-led Sunni rebels, calling instead for political forces to reconcile.

The rebels have occupied swathes of northern and western Iraq, declaring a large region straddling Iraq and Syria a caliphate or Islamic state.

'Regrettable failure'

In a statement read out on state television on Friday, Mr Maliki said: "The State of Law coalition is the biggest bloc and has the right to the premiership and any other side has no right to put conditions."

Nouri Maliki has already served two terms as prime minister

More than a million people have fled their homes because of the current conflict

"I will remain a soldier, defending the interests of Iraq and its people, in the face of the (Isis) terrorists and their allies.

He added that he had made a promise to God that he would continue to fight "until the final defeat of the enemies of Iraq".

Members of parliament, which met for a chaotic first session on Tuesday, have to choose a speaker and elect a president before moving on to the formation of a new government and the issue of a possible third term for Mr Maliki.

The Council of Representatives is due to reconvene on Tuesday.

Iraq's senior Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, criticised parliament on Friday for failing to choose a speaker.

He said it was a "regrettable failure" and he urged Iraqis to "avoid the mistakes of the past".

Iraq's constitutional timetable

According to Iraq's constitution, the Council of Representatives is required to elect a new speaker during its opening session

It must choose a president within 30 days of electing a speaker

Within 15 days of the president's election, the largest bloc must nominate a new prime minister

Under a de facto power sharing agreement, the speaker is a Sunni Arab, the prime minister a Shia Arab, and the president a Kurd

After the 2010 elections, it took nine months to form a new government

Mr Maliki has given no promise of greater representation in the new government for Sunni community, whose anger at what they say are his sectarian and authoritarian policies has been exploited by militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis).

Isis rebels have been methodically hunting down non-Sunnis and those opposed to the militants, refugees from rebel-held towns have told the BBC.

Officials and soldiers had been ordered to pledge allegiance to the caliphate declared by the rebels last weekend or face execution.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28170468

Agree reinman this is what your talking about