Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Can Ahmad Chalabi Take Over Iraq?

CNN. Broadcasting From The Iraqi Hair Club For Men - Maliki's Also A Memmber !

Can Ahmad Chalabi Take Over Iraq?
By Matt Schiavenza
on June 20 2014 1:51 PM

chalabi.jpg
Ahmed Chalabi is seen as a candidate to replace Nouri Al-Maliki as Iraq's Prime Minister. Reuters/Chip East

The United States’ desire to find someone -- anyone -- who can replace Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has turned up a name that once dominated discussions of Iraq politics: Ahmad Chalabi. The wily, 69-year-old Shiite has in recent weeks made little secret of his desire to assume power in Iraq, and now, with Maliki under pressure to resign as a condition for U.S. military support, Chalabi has re-emerged as a major player in the country’s politics.

Chalabi’s involvement in Iraqi politics has an almost Shakespearean arc, full of twists and turns and numerous falls from grace. Born in Iraq in 1944 to a wealthy family, Chalabi fled to Jordan as a boy after the 1958 coup that overthrew the monarchy, and would not return to live in Iraq again until after the U.S. invasion in 2003. During his long exile, Chalabi positioned himself as the most visible opposition leader to Saddam Hussein through the London-based Iraqi National Congress. It was from this perch that Chalabi launched his long campaign to overthrow Saddam -- a goal finally realized in 2003.

For his American patrons, Chalabi held a lot of appeal: A secular Shiite and fluent in English, Chalabi was pro-Israel. But, as a long and fascinating profile of Chalabi in the New Yorker revealed, there were a number of issues with him:

Chalabi was convicted of bank fraud in Jordan for his role in the Petra Bank collapse, sentenced to 22 years of hard labor and ordered to pay back $340 million in embezzled funds. Rather than face these charges, Chalabi fled with his family to London.

In their zeal to commit the U.S. to overthrowing Saddam, Chalabi and the INC disseminated faulty intelligence that vastly overstated -- or fabricated -- claims that Iraq had chemical and biological weapons. This intelligence helped form a central part of the Bush administration's public rationale for the American-led invasion.

Once a favorite of American neoconservatives like Paul Wolfowitz, then a deputy secretary of defense, Chalabi ran afoul of Washington in 2004 after being accused of forging close ties with the Iranians. In particular, he allegedly told Iran that American intelligence agents had cracked the Iranian cryptography code. Chalabi denies this claim.

Despite his break with the Bush administration, Chalabi remained in the mix in Iraqi politics, ultimately serving as deputy prime minister and acting oil minister in 2005. In the years since, he has adopted a lower profile, briefly resurfacing in the news after surviving an assassination attempt in 2008 in Baghdad.

With Maliki’s grip on power slipping by the day, is Chalabi a plausible candidate to replace him? One roadblock is his lack of popular support in Iraq. During the country’s parliamentary elections this April, Maliki's slate received 750,000 votes, and by contrast Chalabi's netted a mere 10,000, fewer than several other Shiite factions.

The United States has still not called openly for Maliki’s ouster. But even if Chalabi were to maneuver his way into the prime minister’s chair, it is unclear how effective he would be. During his eight years in office, his fellow Shiite Maliki has built an extensive patronage network, particularly within Iraq’s military. According to Rick Berger, an independent Iraq expert based in Washington, unraveling these ties would complicate Chalabi’s chances.

“It’s unclear how much control Chalabi could gain over Iraq’s security forces -- and this is perhaps the central function of being prime minister,” he said.

But if the United States has learned a lesson over the past two decades, it’s that you can never count out Ahmad Chalabi.

http://www.ibtimes.com/can-ahmad-chalabi-take-over-iraq-1607626

• Upvote 4

If it happens maybe we can take a lesson here. We could throw the little "o" of the white house and put in Mitt. The little "o" has such little respect for the rule of law. We can now operate like Iraq. I cant believe they are advocating not following there own consitution. Thats the way the little "o" operates he doesnt follow our constitution either. so this is the exact way subversives act. :twocents:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

IF ever there was one man at whose feet we could lay responsibility for single handedly pulling us into the war in Iraq..... it would be THIS man.... His burning desire for power has eliminated any shame he might have as to the lengths he will go to achieve it...And whatever his intentions are, however he might govern, whatever he does, ALL of it will be in service to his attaining and maintaining that power... He stands for him., all else is secondary...

This might not be a bad thing in terms of him pushing to revalue the currency... ...However him doing that would be secondary to it serving some power need of his... Which he may do.... Maybe he can keep his sociopathy in check enough to get there...or is more polished in disguising it than was Maliki...  Though I'm not so sure he's able to do that...His hands are already stained with the blood of his people and the country he was willing to sacrifice in order to get exactly where he is right now....    

• Upvote 7

Chalabi briefed on the conditions of the refugees at the invitation of Barzani and commends the 9000 tent in Sinjar

SATURDAY, JUNE 22, 2014 13:46 S I / M M R / M P  

Twilight News / arrived National Congress leader Ahmed Chalabi, to the town of Sinjar familiar with the situation of refugees from the northern city of Mosul by the workers of violence there.

domiz.jpg

A local official said "Twilight News", Chalabi arrived at the invitation of the President of the Kurdistan Region to see the situation of refugees. Where Chalabi has promised to provide "all kinds of support."

Sinjar delegation also arrived from the Turkish Red Crescent Organization and the Organization of World Relief as well as the Iraqi Red Crescent. Where it was decided to establish three camps comprising 9000 tent with accessories health.

• Upvote 2

I don't see this guy being the new PM :shakehead: ...but then again its Iraq....

Yota691, I lost a brand new 100 bill saying Obama wouldn't be re-elected for a second term..but then again this is America...

• Upvote 3

I'm not so sure who will be the new PM, but I suppose Chalabi is a possibility. It will be revealed in time so, as usual we wait for the answer...

Artitech,

"O" is only part of the problem... He is doing what he is told to do plain and simple. Our constitution and rights according to it have been slowly edged to the point we are at now and it is not looking good. The reason is that the elite who run our government, our president and pretty much the whole world have been taking our rights away right under our noses. The past few years they have seemingly stepped-up their game. These people have no desire or care to help the citizens of ANY country. All they care about are staying rich/becoming richer (off the backs of the average citizen), keeping their power and control (over the people), and serving their master satan. This is what it truly boils down to.

• Upvote 1

I may be wrong. I need to check my facts but I think I read that M won the election by an overwhemly vote margin, again. Their judges have ratifed, the election results of M winning the electon. So if thats the case then M is the P.M. My question is how can he be kicked out if this the case. He could step down or be impeeched I guess. I dont know how their system works. But to do it any other way would violate their constitution and laws. Thats the way I see it. I really think I read that he has already won the election , just like the little"o" won here. he cant be removed cause of the senate right now.  My question How is M going to get removed? :shrug:

• Upvote 1

I may be wrong. I need to check my facts but I think I read that M won the election by an overwhemly vote margin, again. Their judges have ratifed, the election results of M winning the electon. So if thats the case then M is the P.M. My question is how can he be kicked out if this the case. He could step down or be impeeched I guess. I dont know how their system works. But to do it any other way would violate their constitution and laws. Thats the way I see it. I really think I read that he has already won the election , just like the little"o" won here. he cant be removed cause of the senate right now.  My question How is M going to get removed? :shrug:

I don't think he will be removed... but if he decides to step down (looking doubtful) he will appoint someone and the Shiites will still rule the roost.

Honestly... recent history shows us whoever is PM of Iraq they are going to have to serve the US's agenda...

whatever the heck that is. JMHO

Edited by Maggie123

Semi-final agreement to take over the US-Iranian Chalabi as prime minister

Agency eighth day

June 22, 2014

BAGHDAD - ((eighth day))

A source from within the National Alliance that there is agreement on the Iranian-American semi-final to take on Chalabi's prime minister.

The source said in a statement to the Agency ((eighth day)) that there is an agreement semi-final between the U.S. and Iran to take on Ahmed Chalabi as prime minister for the next government as a compromise candidate.

The source added that the two parties Chalabi met with Democratic and Republican Americans and they expressed their support for Chalabi to take over as prime minister.

http://8th-day.com/?p=53272

IF ever there was one man at whose feet we could lay responsibility for single handedly pulling us into the war in Iraq..... it would be THIS man.... His burning desire for power has eliminated any shame he might have as to the lengths he will go to achieve it...And whatever his intentions are, however he might govern, whatever he does, ALL of it will be in service to his attaining and maintaining that power... He stands for him., all else is secondary...

This might not be a bad thing in terms of him pushing to revalue the currency... ...However him doing that would be secondary to it serving some power need of his... Which he may do.... Maybe he can keep his sociopathy in check enough to get there...or is more polished in disguising it than was Maliki...  Though I'm not so sure he's able to do that...His hands are already stained with the blood of his people and the country he was willing to sacrifice in order to get exactly where he is right now....    

Sickening to even think that the US would install someone that evil... guess we already did though when we put in the Maliki.

Here is a little more about Chalabi that Rayzur posted in a different thread... so we know who we are talking about here.

Lord have mercy if that is anywhere near true..... The US will not be dancing in the street with that news... (if it is news)... Here's some brief snippets to file away in case there is any merit to this...I wouldn't read it otherwise... but nice to file away for one of the days you really want to be depressed...

Ahmed Abdel Hadi Chalabi%5B1%5D (Arabic: أحمد الجلبي‎) (born 30 October 1944) is an Iraqi politician. He was interim oil minister in Iraq%5B2%5D in April–May 2005 and December–January 2006 and deputy prime minister from May 2005 until May 2006. Chalabi failed to win a seat in parliament in the December 2005 elections, and when the new Iraqi cabinet was announced in May 2006, he was not given a post. Once dubbed the "George Washington of Iraq"%5B3%5D by American supporters, he has fallen out of favor and is currently under investigation by several U.S. government sources. He was also the subject of a 2008 biography by investigative journalist Aram Roston, The Man Who Pushed America to War; The Extraordinary Life, Adventures, And Obsessions of Ahmad Chalabi %5B4%5D and a 2011 biography by 60 Minutes producer Richard Bonin, "Arrows of the Night: Ahmad Chalabi's Long Journey to Triumph in Iraq".%5B5%5D

Chalabi is a controversial figure, especially in the United States, for many reasons. In the lead-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Iraqi National Congress (INC), with the assistance of lobbying powerhouse BKSH & Associates,%5B6%5D provided a major portion of the information on which U.S. Intelligence based its condemnation of the Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, including reports of weapons of mass destruction and alleged ties to al-Qaeda. Most, if not all, of this information has turned out to be false and Chalabi a fabricator.%5B7%5D That, combined with the fact that Chalabi subsequently boasted, in an interview with the British Sunday Telegraph, about the impact that their alleged falsifications had on American policy, led to a falling out between him and the U.S. government. Furthermore, Chalabi has been found guilty of the Petra banking scandal in Jordan (see below). In January 2012, a French intelligence official stated that they believed Chalabi to be an Iranian agent.%5B8%5D

Initially, Chalabi enjoyed close political and business relationships with some members of the U.S. government, including some prominent neoconservatives within the Pentagon. Chalabi is said to have had political contacts within the Project for the New American Century, most notably with Paul Wolfowitz, a student of nuclear strategist Albert Wohlstetter, and Richard Perle. He also enjoyed considerable support among politicians and political pundits in the United States, most notably Jim Hoagland of The Washington Post, who held him up as a notable force for democracy in Iraq.%5B9%5D He was a special guest of First Lady Laura Bush at the 2004 State of the Union Address.%5B10%5D

Before the war, the CIA was largely skeptical of Chalabi and the INC, but information allegedly from his group (most famously from a defector codenamed "Curveball") made its way into intelligence dossiers used by President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair to justify an invasion of Iraq. "Curveball", Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, fed officials hundreds of pages of bogus "firsthand" descriptions of mobile biological weapons factories on wheels and rails. Secretary of State Colin Powell later used this information in a U.N. presentation trying to garner support for the war, despite warnings from German intelligence that "Curveball" was fabricating claims. Since then, the CIA has admitted that the defector made up the story, and Powell apologized for using the information in his speech.%5B18%5D A later congressionally appointed investigation (Robb-Silberman) concluded that Curveball had no relation whatsoever to the INC, and that press reports linking Curveball to the INC were erroneous.%5B19%5D

As Chalabi's position of trust with the Pentagon crumbled, he found a new political position as a champion of Iraq's Shi'ites (Chalabi himself is a Shi'ite). Beginning 25 January 2004, Chalabi and his close associates promoted the claim that leaders around the world were illegally profiting from the Oil for Food program. These charges were around the same time that UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi indicated that Chalabi would likely not be welcome in a future Iraqi government. Up until this time, Chalabi had been mentioned formally several times in connection with possible future leadership positions. Chalabi contends that documents in his possession detail the misconduct, but he has yet to provide any documents or other evidence. The U.S. has sharply criticized Chalabi's Oil for Food investigation as undermining the credibility of its own.

Additionally, Chalabi and other members of the INC have been being investigated for fraud involving the exchange of Iraqi currency, grand theft of both national and private assets, and many other criminal charges in Iraq. On 19 May 2004 the U.S. government discontinued their regular payments to Chalabi for information he provided. Then on 20 May, Iraqi police supported by U.S. soldiers raided his offices and residence, taking documents and computers, presumably to be used as evidence. A major target of the raid was Aras Habib, Chalabi's long-term director of intelligence, who controls the vast network of agents bankrolled by U.S. funding.

In June 2004, it was reported that Chalabi gave U.S. state secrets to Iran in April, including the fact that one of the United States' most valuable sources of Iranian intelligence was a broken Iranian code used by their spy services. Chalabi allegedly learned of the code through a drunk American involved in the code-breaking operation. Chalabi has denied all of the charges, and nothing has ever come of the charges nor do the Iraqi or U.S. governments currently seem very interested in pursuing them.[27]

An arrest warrant for alleged counterfeiting was issued for Chalabi on 8 August 2004, while at the same time a warrant was issued on murder charges against his nephew Salem Chalabi (at the time, head of the Iraqi Special Tribunal), while they both were out of the country. Chalabi returned to Iraq on 10 August planning to make himself available to Iraqi government officials, but he was never arrested. Charges were later dropped against Ahmed Chalabi, with Judge Zuhair al-Maliki citing lack of evidence.

On 1 September 2004, Chalabi told reporters of an assassination attempt made on him near Latifiya, a town south of Baghdad. Chalabi reported he was returning from a meeting with Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf, where a few days earlier a cease-fire had taken effect, ending three weeks of confrontations between followers of Muqtada al-Sadr and the U.S. military, at the time.[citation needed]

He regained enough credibility to be made deputy prime minister on 28 April 2005. At the same time he was made acting oil minister,[28] before the appointment of Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloum in May 2005. On protesting IMF austerity measures, Al-Uloum was instructed to extend his vacation by a month in December 2005 by Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari, and Chalabi was reappointed as acting oil minister. Al-Uloum returned to the post in January 2006.[29]

In November 2005, Chalabi traveled to the U.S. and met with top U.S. government officials, including Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Vice President **** Cheney, Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley. At this time Chalabi also traveled to Iran to meet with Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

After the invasion Chalabi had been placed in charge of "deBaathification"—the removal of senior office holders judged to have been close supporters of the deposed Saddam Hussein. The role had fallen into disuse but in early 2010 Chalabi was accused of reviving this dormant post to eliminate his political enemies, especially Sunnis. The banning of some 500 candidates prior to the general election of 7 March 2010 at the initiative of Chalabi and his Iraqi National Congress was reported to have badly damaged previously improving relations between Shias and Sunnis.[33]

On 26 January 2012, the New York Times reported Western intelligence officials expressing concern that Chalabi was working with the leading opposition group in Bahrain, Al Wefaq National Islamic Society. A French intelligence official said, "When we hear that some members of the opposition are in touch with Hezbollah or with shady figures like the Iraqi Ahmed Chalabi, of whom we think he is acting on behalf of Iran, then this worries us".

• Upvote 1

This is a snippet from a  Huff Post Article from 2011.... They aren't real dazzled with the guy either...

It's ironic that only now, eight and a half years after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, as the last American troops pull out, that we finally get a book dissecting the machinations of one of the men most responsible for that catastrophe: Ahmed Chalabi, the brilliant, treacherous, endlessly scheming Iraqi refugee who, from 1991 to 2004, played a singular role in contorting U.S. policy towards Iraq.

The book Arrows of the Night(Doubleday), written by 60 Minutes producer Richard Bonin, is based on lengthy and remarkably frank interviews with Chalabi as well as scores of others who dealt with him over the years. The result is a chilling chronicle of how this charismatic and totally amoral Iraqi exile, without any power base among his own people, was, at various times, able to con everyone from the New York Times, to the CIA, to the Defense Department, to **** Cheney -- even Iran's intelligence chiefs -- in his single-minded determination to overthrow Saddam Hussein and take power himself.

It is also an alarming tale of how a feckless American president, George W. Bush, buffeted by conflicting counsels of feuding advisers, stumbled into one of the most disastrous military quagmires in America's history.

In 1991, George H.W. Bush agreed to clandestinely fund an Iraqi exile group and Chalabi was picked to head the operation, receiving a stipend of $340,000 per month. Actually, as the administration and the CIA saw it, that move was just window dressing to make it appear as if the U.S. was really doing something to overthrow Saddam.

In fact, they had no intention of getting the U.S. involved militarily. Nor did they want a popular uprising that could have brought the majority Shiites to power, and increase the influence of neighboring Iran. What they wanted was to topple Saddam by a military coup and replace him with a more tractable government of Sunni generals.

But Ahmed Chalabi had different ideas. Rather than the CIA using him, he would use them. He deployed his secret U.S. backing to get himself elected leader of the exile group, the Iraqi National Congress, then started dictating policy to an outraged CIA. His plan, to take power himself after a popular uprising, protected by an American military umbrella.

It just keeps getting better and better..... Lord have Mercy.... I guess on the bright side, we can watch how many goo roos get all tingly excited thinking this great guy MUST be better than Maliki and start happy dancing at the prospect....

BTW the article other sites are quoting as substantiation that he is PM.... if you read the actual article that they themselves posted.... it says quite clearly he is being nominated for PM.... nominated...

Semi-final agreement to take over the US-Iranian Chalabi as prime minister

Agency eighth day

June 22, 2014

BAGHDAD - ((eighth day))

A source from within the National Alliance that there is agreement on the Iranian-American semi-final to take on Chalabi's prime minister.

The source said in a statement to the Agency ((eighth day)) that there is an agreement semi-final between the U.S. and Iran to take on Ahmed Chalabi as prime minister for the next government as a compromise candidate.

The source added that the two parties Chalabi met with Democratic and Republican Americans and they expressed their support for Chalabi to take over as prime minister.

http://8th-day.com/?p=53272

Didn't want to bump your post out of the way here... I'm glad this is being quoted by "source" though...

Thank You.

Edited by Maggie123