Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iran Deploys Forces To Fight Al Qaeda-Inspired Militants In Iraq !

CNN. Broadcasting While The Shiite Hits The Fan !

Iran Deploys Forces to Fight al Qaeda-Inspired Militants in Iraq Revolutionary Guard Forces Help Iraqi Troops Win Back Control of Most of Tikrit, Sources Say
By 
FARNAZ FASSIHI
CONNECT

WO-AS678_IRANIS_G_20140612182635.jpg

Iraqis chant slogans against the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham as they volunteer for the army at a Baghdad recruiting station on Thursday. Associated Press

BEIRUT—The threat of Sunni extremists eclipsing the power of its Shiite-dominated Arab ally presents Iran with the biggest security and strategic challenge it has faced since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

With the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, an offshoot of al Qaeda, rapidly gaining territory, Iran deployed Revolutionary Guards units to Iraq, according to Iranian security officials.

Iran has invested considerable financial, political and military resources over the past decade to ensure Iraq emerged from U.S. war as a strategic partner for the Islamic Republic and a strong Shiite-led state. The so-called Shiite crescent—stretching from Iran to Iraq, Lebanon and Syria—was forged largely as a result of this effort.

Two Guards' units, dispatched from Iran's western border provinces on Wednesday, were tasked with protecting Baghdad and the holy Shiite cities of Karbala and Najaf, these security sources said.

The involvement of Iran would pose yet another security challenge for the White House, and raises the prospect of the U.S. and Iran fighting on the same side. The U.S. opposes Iran's support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but with Tehran is jointly supporting Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

State Department officials on Thursday refused to outline what steps the Obama administration would take if Iranian forces entered Iraq.

Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said American diplomats who met with Iranian officials in Geneva this week to discuss Tehran's nuclear program didn't raise the issue of the Iraqi crisis.

"We've encouraged them to play a constructive role in Iraq," Ms. Psaki said about the Iranians.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, reached by phone in London, said of the report that Iran's Revolutionary Guards were entering the fight: "Frankly I have no idea about that. I am in London now."

Syria's conflict has turned Iraq into an important operational base for Iran to aid another ally, the Assad regime, which is dominated by an offshoot of Shiite Islam. Shiite militia trained by Iran, weapons and cash have flowed from Iran to Syria via Iraq.

"Iraq is viewed as a vital priority in Iran's foreign policy in the region and they go to any length to protect this interest," said Roozbeh Miribrahimi, an independent Iran expert based in New York.

WO-AS685_IRANIS_G_20140612190056.jpg

The commander of Iran's Quds Force, Maj. Gen. Qasem Solaimani, went to Baghdad this week.Shahaboddin Vajedi

Iran has also positioned troops on full alert along its border with Iraq and has given clearance to its air force to bomb ISIS rebel forces if they come within about 60 miles of Iran's border, according to an Iranian army general.

The two IRGC battalions that moved to Iraq on Wednesday were shifted from the Iranian border provinces of Urumieh and Lorestan, the Iranian security officials said.

Revolutionary Guards units that serve in Iran's border provinces are the most experienced fighters in guerrilla warfare because of separatist ethnic uprisings in those regions. IRGC commanders dispatched to Syria also often come from those provinces as well.

Iran was also considering the transfer to Iraq of Shiite volunteer troops in Syria, if the initial deployments fail to turn the tide of battle in favor of Mr. Maliki's government, the Iranian security officials said.

At stake for Iran in Iraq's current tumult isn't only the survival of a Shiite political ally in Baghdad, but the safety of Karbala and Najaf, which along with Mecca and Medina are sacred to Shiites world-wide."The more insecure and isolated Maliki becomes, the more he will need Iran. The growth of ISIS presents a serious threat to Iran. So it would not be surprising to see the Guards become more involved in Iraq," said Alireza Nader, a senior policy analyst at the Rand Corp.

A spokesman for the militant group ISIS, Abu Mohamad al-Adnani, urged the group's Sunni fighters to march toward the "filth-ridden" Karbala and "the city of polytheism" Najaf, where they would "settle their differences" with Iraq's Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

EI-CH693_IRANIS_G_20140612194504.jpg

Kurdish military units known as peshmerga deployed armor at the provincial capital of Kirkuk on Thursday as Iraq edged closer to full-scale sectarian conflict following lightning strikes on major cities. Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

That coarsely worded threat further vindicated Iran's view that the fight unfolding in Iraq is an existential sectarian battle between the two rival sects of Islam-Sunni and Shiite—and by default a proxy battle between their patrons Saudi Arabia and Iran.

"Until now we haven't received any requests for help from Iraq. Iraq's army is certainly capable in handling this," Iran's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afgham said Wednesday.

Iranian President Hasan Rouhani cut short a religious celebration on Thursday and said he had to attend an emergency meeting of the country's National Security Council about events in Iraq.

"We, as the Islamic Republic of Iran, won't tolerate this violence and terrorism…. We will fight and battle violence and extremism and terrorism in the region and the world," he said in a speech.

ISIS's rapid territorial gains in the past few days appeared to have caught Iranian officials by surprise and opened a debate within the regime over whether Iran should publicly enter the battle.

Iran's chief of police, Esmail Ahmadi-Moghaddam said the National Security Council would consider intervening in Iraq to "protect Shiite shrines and cities," according to Iranian media.

In the short-term, analysts said the outcome of the crisis in Iraq will only strengthen and increase the influence of Iran and the Revolutionary Guards.

Write to Farnaz Fassihi at farnaz.fassihi@wsj.com

• Upvote 2

I believe We are watching the beginning of a civil war between the Sunnis and shittes

The Sunnis concider them the infidels

Saudi Arabia will most likely back the Sunnis and Iran will back the shittes

Syria will join Iran and the Iraqi shittes and Jordan may back the Iraq Sunnis and Saudi Arabia

The Kurds will stay out of it for the most part

This will be a religious war

I see the Sunnis in Iraq getting destroyed

But no matter how ya look at it

It looks like the battle ground is selected and Iraq will be the place

Kuwait will be financing as well as the UAE

The USA will be trying to protect Kuwait border

I'm getting sick thinking about what might happen

I don't think anyone will be able to talk these morons out of if

So can anyone explain where I'm wrong

Much appreciated Thugs, well Donlop that's sound thinking, I would say it's either organized confusion to make it look like one terrible investment, or sit back and let's all watch the next Iraq war coming soon to Baghdad. It's sucks but I just don't see how the cbi would even consider revaluation of any kind at this moment in time, when there whole country could be in jeopardy.

• Upvote 2

The last 35 years that part of the world has been killing each other

The separation was Iraq

It was the median between the Iranians and the Sunnis

Saddam was a ruthless hardliner dictator

That is the only way they could control them

Ya couldn't fine them or give them probation

There wasn't enough jail cells to lock them all up and feed them

So they just took them out to the desert and killed them and buried them in mass graves

It worked for awhile I guess

But the crap is on the fan and the fan is on high

These people and their crazy religion

Myself I think the shittes are the ones that are out of their minds

The Sunnis have some sense

They have enough sense to know if they kill all the shittes they may some day be able to live in peace

And as long as there are shittes who dream of kaos to bring their god back from the well

They will always favor kaos

Then you got the extremist Sunnis

The suicide bombing nut jobs that will make you repent and become wahobiests of die on the spot

Jonny on the spot Muslims

Or they execute you

Some times I guess ya just got to get out of the way and let them kill each other

It could rv tonight at midnight at 9 dollars per dinar as soon as Monday at 9 am we can cash out from east to west after we sign a non discloser agreement in tears

Utter nonsense, dontlop.

I agree

There is 300 billion dinars forsale on eBay

Well I didn't count them but I'm sure there's more where those came from

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

dontlop, I think it's best that you try and relax. You have no control over what is currently transpiring in Iraq, and you (as well as the rest of us, including myself) have absolutely no clue as to what will happen tomorrow, next year, or next decade. So I think i's best that you try and get a good night's sleep....I think you need it. God Bless.

• Upvote 1

Lol thanks

Yep I'm waiting for someone to correct me

And your right no one knows what's going to happen

I'm just glad we aren't pulling up tanks on our state borders

And I can get a good nights sleep

It's hard to imagine being born over there and living life like that

And that's all you know and will ever know is that

Look at that Iranian generals face above

He knows this could get. Ugly

• Upvote 2

Thanks DT...This has been goin' on before this little kid picked up a rock put it in a sling-shot and took out some big a$$ guy on the other side...life in the ME is lived on the cuff at best, just another day on the farm for the people in the ME...

• Upvote 1

This Is From Fox News -

FYI, Earlier Tonight On The 'Kelly File' Fox Analyst Lt Col Ralph Peters Confirmed Iranian Boots On The Ground In Iraq ...

US seeing signs Iran engaged in Iraq strife, official says

Published June 13, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/

iraq-fighting-cropped-internal.jpg?ve=1&

June 13, 2014: Iraqi Shiite tribal fighters deploy with their weapons while chanting slogans against the Al Qaeda-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), to help the military, which defends the capital in Baghdad's Sadr City, Iraq.AP

A senior U.S. defense official said Friday U.S. officials were seeing signs that Iranian fighters were engaged in Iraq, a development the source described as "concerning."

But it was not immediately clear how many troops were involved.

The defense official told Fox News the United States had been watching the swift gains made by the Sunni group known as Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS)  for months, adding "this didn't just happen."

"This is bad," the official said, adding that "there is not much we can do (militarily). We are way behind the curve."

The official said people in the U.S. Embassy feel threatened, but it's too "politically sensitive" to evacuate them right now.

On Friday, ISIS fighters made fresh gains, driving government forces at least temporarily from two towns in an ethnically mixed province northeast of Baghdad. The assault threatens to embroil Iraq more deeply in a wider regional conflict feeding off the chaos caused by the civil war in neighboring Syria.

The fast-moving rebellion, which also draws support from former Saddam Hussein-era figures and other disaffected Sunnis, has emerged as the biggest threat to Iraq's stability since the U.S. withdrawal in 2011. It has pushed the nation closer to a precipice that could partition it into Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish zones.

Some 150 fighters from the Revolutionary Guards elite Quds force had already been dispatched to Iraq by Tehran, and the division's powerful commander, Qassem Suleimani, met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki Thursday and offered to send two notorious Iranian brigades to aid in the defense of Baghdad. That could amount to as many as 10,000 soldiers sent to fight the ISIS.

In addition to protecting the strategic border to Syria, Iran’s government has interests in safeguarding holy shrines and sites in Najaf and Karbala, significant to the Shiite Islamic religion. Many Iranians make pilgrimage to these sites every year.  

Predominantly Shiite Muslim Iran will combat the "violence and terrorism" of Sunni extremists who have launched an anti-government offensive in neighboring Iraq, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani warned on Thursday. On Friday, Iraq’s top Shiite cleric urged Iraqis to defend their country.

President Obama urged Iraq's leaders Friday to "solve their problems" as they face Al Qaeda-inspired militants overrunning cities and marching toward Baghdad -- but said he was reviewing possible U.S. military responses.

Obama, speaking on the South Lawn before departing for North Dakota, reiterated that the U.S. would "not be sending U.S. troops back into combat."

Fox News' Jennifer Griffin, Justin Fishel, Adam Housley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

B)     B)     B)

I didn't realize anyone actually listened to or watched Faux News. 

This whole thing sounds like a Maliki mess.  I was waiting for him to do something to try and hold on to power right before the final election results were announced.

Create a crisis and then ask for a state of emergency to deal with it.... which would effectively give him special powers and stop the election results for now.  Didn't

Parliament basically give him a resounding "NO"-?

Awfully coincidental timing.... and I don't believe in coincidences.  :rocking-chair:

• Upvote 1