Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl freed in Afghanistan

Butifldrm

Prove this. Operation Enduring freedom lasted a long time in various countries. You saying these folks all died looking specifically for Mr. Bowe? What facts do you base this upon and, really, so what? If I was tasked with looking for a missing US serviceman, I would VOLUNTEER to do so and would expect the same of my fellow ground-pounders. That is something that happens between "brothers-in-war". But perhaps, the people who bring in negative remarks about Mr. Bowe have never served or been in combat.

According to reports the situation dictated he be gotten home asap because of health issues. Dunno, just saying....Welcome home, Sarge.

Thaiexpat, I have served between (80-85), during the Cold War. I was in the Navy, so I did not see any combat, but the Ship I was on, came close to it a few times with the Soviets.  My philosophy for myself has always been if I get captured by the enemy, I don't expect anyone to come rescue me, and I would prefer they didn't.  I think all American's when leaving the US, should sign a waiver if they get captured by terrorist, their life is forfeit.  Better one life lost, than many lost trying to rescue the one.  Pretty foolish if you ask me.

I believe you were replying to the post above mine, which was listing servicemen that were killed searching for Bergdahl, but with the additional information coming out in the news from people in his unit and that news reporter that talked with him a few months before he disappeared, I'm leaning really heavy toward him deserting on purpose to join up with the Taliban.

-

• Upvote 3

Thaiexpat, I have served between (80-85), during the Cold War. I was in the Navy, so I did not see any combat, but the Ship I was on, came close to it a few times with the Soviets.  My philosophy for myself has always been if I get captured by the enemy, I don't expect anyone to come rescue me, and I would prefer they didn't.  I think all American's when leaving the US, should sign a waiver if they get captured by terrorist, their life is forfeit.  Better one life lost, than many lost trying to rescue the one.  Pretty foolish if you ask me.

I believe you were replying to the post above mine, which was listing servicemen that were killed searching for Bergdahl, but with the additional information coming out in the news from people in his unit and that news reporter that talked with him a few months before he disappeared, I'm leaning really heavy toward him deserting on purpose to join up with the Taliban.

-

Well said shipmate!

Wm13

• Upvote 2

"Deserted during a time of war" is that an accurate statement or an opinion piece?  Has it been determined without any shadow of a doubt that he deserted?  Do we know for certain why he was outside of the safety of his base with only water and a compass?

I find it highly distasteful that people have tried and convicted him in social media because of circumstances, some of which he perpetrated by leaving base, but I am pretty sure that being in Afghanistan with enemy combatants I would take my rifle...deserting or not.

If he is found to be a deserter then bring on the outrage and the punishment. But until that may happen, he is an American Soldier who served his country under very difficult conditions and he deserves our support.

Just for the sake of factual accuracy.... The US has never declared war on Afghanistan. I haven't read every single response herein so hopefully it was not a DV member.... but , whoever said "desertion during time of war", is an idiot... There is no declared war, so someone needs to stop acting like they know what they are talking about, using technical terms in hopefully gaining credibility...There is no war..... and in fact, officially, there is no charge of desertion. .

Secondly, Sgt Bergdahl is to this very minute, is officially regarded as  a US Army soldier in good standing. When he was captured, he was a PFC. He was promoted during capture to the rank of Sgt.... Someone is going to have to cite an actual real example of any other case in which a soldier who was considered AWOL or UA, was promoted to a higher rank at the same time.... The Army does not consider Sgt Bergdahl AWOL, or a deserter....

As perhaps an interesting sideline, his platoon leader stated he could not take his rifle and/or nvg, off base with him, were he to leave, in a direct response to Bergdahl's direct question about doing so.... Apparently he had the same thing in mind that you did FnP in terms of its importance....

And, John McCain knew .... knew, in January of 2012 that this prisoner exchange was being discussed and he knew ... knew which of the 5 were being discussed in exchange for Bergdahl and he reluctantly... conceded to this exchange, (though continued to gritch about the dangers of those released..) he nonetheless finally conceded during his meeting with Kerry... Apparently the part he forgot was that was recorded at the time it happened, and no amount of trying will result in erasing the record, such that he can act all surprised and upset 2 years later..... If he is in fact surprised, its time to go home as memory is essential in fulfilling the duties of his job.... 

PS there are multiple threads and I may have missed something. Has someone posted the refee, the document, vetting that troops went in search of and actually were killed searching for him? Seriously, I see that repeated and haven't seen the source document verifying it. The US gov't knew pretty much that he had been captured within 24 hours of leaving the base, so I'm wondering where this encounter happened and when it happened... given the time frame...   ..... .  .

Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

-

Dude, I am SORRY. you are right. I posted on your post which was the wrong one. I am such a bone-head.

Cheers

And, no matter a wavier, whatever, I would NEVER leave a bud behind in the field. SO, whether you liked it or not, I am going in after you. Dunno, just saying.... Cheers to the brotherhood

• Upvote 1

Just for the sake of factual accuracy.... The US has never declared war on Afghanistan. I haven't read every single response herein so hopefully it was not a DV member.... but , whoever said "desertion during time of war", is an idiot... There is no declared war, so someone needs to stop acting like they know what they are talking about, using technical terms in hopefully gaining credibility...There is no war..... and in fact, officially, there is no charge of desertion. .

Secondly, Sgt Bergdahl is to this very minute, is officially regarded as  a US Army soldier in good standing. When he was captured, he was a PFC. He was promoted during capture to the rank of Sgt.... Someone is going to have to cite an actual real example of any other case in which a soldier who was considered AWOL or UA, was promoted to a higher rank at the same time.... The Army does not consider Sgt Bergdahl AWOL, or a deserter....

As perhaps an interesting sideline, his platoon leader stated he could not take his rifle and/or nvg, off base with him, were he to leave, in a direct response to Bergdahl's direct question about doing so.... Apparently he had the same thing in mind that you did FnP in terms of its importance....

And, John McCain knew .... knew, in January of 2012 that this prisoner exchange was being discussed and he knew ... knew which of the 5 were being discussed in exchange for Bergdahl and he reluctantly... conceded to this exchange, (though continued to gritch about the dangers of those released..) he nonetheless finally conceded during his meeting with Kerry... Apparently the part he forgot was that was recorded at the time it happened, and no amount of trying will result in erasing the record, such that he can act all surprised and upset 2 years later..... If he is in fact surprised, its time to go home as memory is essential in fulfilling the duties of his job.... 

PS there are multiple threads and I may have missed something. Has someone posted the refee, the document, vetting that troops went in search of and actually were killed searching for him? Seriously, I see that repeated and haven't seen the source document verifying it. The US gov't knew pretty much that he had been captured within 24 hours of leaving the base, so I'm wondering where this encounter happened and when it happened... given the time frame...   ..... .  .

Yeah, this gets me. Some guys died whilst looking for him? Sorry, but what is your mission profile? Is it SPECIFICALLY to look for this person or to "Look around". On patrol, our job was to look about for things and engage the enemy (if called for). Intel and assessments. So I supect these fellows were 'doing their job" and unfortunately got capped in the process. Also, the parents to be so morally outraged by their children's death and then blame this POW is beyond me. Where was your moral outrage when they agreed to serve in an ILLEGAL INVASION on another country? Your son got killed because he invaded another country and thats what happens in combat from time-to-time.So how about we welcome this AMERICAN home and give him the proper support he needs? I guess some people think being a POW is a walk-in-the-park. try SERE school and tell us all how much fun that is.  No sleep. No food and getting your a$$ beat from time-to-time is a real treat.

Good to see your INTELLIGENT posts in here, Rayzur. cheers

• Upvote 6

Yeah, this gets me. Some guys died whilst looking for him? Sorry, but what is your mission profile? Is it SPECIFICALLY to look for this person or to "Look around". On patrol, our job was to look about for things and engage the enemy (if called for). Intel and assessments. So I supect these fellows were 'doing their job" and unfortunately got capped in the process. Also, the parents to be so morally outraged by their children's death and then blame this POW is beyond me. Where was your moral outrage when they agreed to serve in an ILLEGAL INVASION on another country? Your son got killed because he invaded another country and thats what happens in combat from time-to-time.So how about we welcome this AMERICAN home and give him the proper support he needs? I guess some people think being a POW is a walk-in-the-park. try SERE school and tell us all how much fun that is.  No sleep. No food and getting your a$$ beat from time-to-time is a real treat.

Good to see your INTELLIGENT posts in here, Rayzur. cheers

Sorry doc I do agree with some of your staements and Razors . But not all.

It isnt a issue of weather the war was right or wrong. Its not a issue of people lost their lives looking for him.

Its your job to look for him. If you get greased well thats also part of the job.  A deserter is a deserter.  

HE WALK AWAY.  PERIOD.  He turned his back on his fellow brothers.  He is not a hero. He needs to be held and some form of accountability be placed upon his shoulders for doing so. Just cause you hate the army doc and this country and no longer believe in any form of military justice in regards to the war you hate so much.

Doesnt mean that its just just ok for a soldier  to walk away.  As a former soldiers you and razor both know that. 

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 3

We all have many questions surrounding the Sgt Bowe Bergdahl situation. From whether he was captured or did he desert his country. At this point we can only go by what information there is available to us. That information starts at before he went missing, and his statements of being ashamed to be an American. His friends coming forward stating that he joined the military to help the Afghan people. Then you have all the pro-Islam tweets from his father. The father turning into an advocate for the release of all Guantanamo Bay prisoners, and a tweet to quote “@ABalkhi that God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen”! The twitter account @ABalkhi is the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan. To make one believe even further that the Sgt and his father have converted to islam and may have been giving information to the enemy all this time. You have the speech the father made at the white house praising allah and the people of Afghanistan. Sgt Bowe was already safe in US custody, so that is another red flag. Why would he praise the exact terrorist who have held his son “captive” for the last 5 years? 

Didn't our great President just aide the enemy and help them to be stronger in their fight against us?

Wow it is something new every week with this administration they are the most corrupt ever IMO

It will be interesting to see how history treats all of the Presidents who paid money, traded boatloads of arms, released hundreds of Gitmos, and now O's actions.... as to which one of them will be viewed as providing the most aid to the enemy......And I'm not sure what is more disturbing, ... that so many people hink this is the first time it was ever done,... or it took something like interest in the dinar for people to have an awareness or interest in our  country and its actions... Though in all fairness, it is true that the internet makes this info more available.... It was not what it is now when Reagen outfitted Iran with enough firepower and weapons to take it into the next decade, or Nixon paying billions for release... However, some of the trades we made in Iraq were with men who were actually proven to have killed many Americans...or the hundreds of Gitmos the last administration released and that should have reached the consciousness of some... it would seem.... 

It isnt a issue of weather the war was right or wrong. Its not a issue of people lost their lives looking for him.

Its your job to look for him. If you get greased well thats also part of the job.  A deserter is a deserter.  

HE WALK AWAY.  PERIOD.  He turned his back on his fellow brothers.  He is not a hero. He needs to be held and some form of accountability be placed upon his shoulders for doing so. Just cause you hate the army doc and this country and no longer believe in any form of military justice in regards to the war you hate so much.

Doesnt mean that its just just ok for a soldier  to walk away.  As a former soldiers you and razor both know that. 

Your Doggedness....darlink.... unfortunately there are several threads going on about this, and apparently you missed my scintillating rendition of wtf (who) are these guys who posting now about being there... Like I said, if my dog could type, she could claim the same, and it would be hard to prove or disprove they are real soldiers who were really there, at that time... and on and on... Not to mention that the guys referenced as KIA have DOD profiles that don't sync with the claims... And Thai's post is dead on.... dead on.... I had actually questioned something similar (though he said much better) in terms of the actual orders stating the mission.. (and why we are supposed to believe some E-3 maybe E-4 would have that info regarding every single mission, and would have kept that info until now... all of which is totally doubtful) .... Okie has proven to us all that there are people who will say just about any thing and every thing in order to get attention.... And I'm not so sure that giving these reports any credibility.... especially ahead of any military action per USMJ is the best betting odds on this one...... There seem to be a lot of super hero blow hards coming out of the woodwork on this one... And frankly, I want to see a copy of their orders (with names redacted) before I will give them any energy of credibility... (I said a lot more on the other thread... but thats the gist) .

Personally I would like to see Hagel stand up and say, people, knock it off, and get a grip, we're on this one. If you are or were military, then act like it and let the military do its job.  There are things you and the public don't know and we are not necessarily going to tell you, particularly  if there is a security interest at risk...and/or it violates this man's privacy...   but leave this kid alone and understand we will engage whatever process is necessary to put completion to his capture and release. A soldier left, a soldier came home, its up to the US Army to deal with the in-between....

And, no matter a wavier, whatever, I would NEVER leave a bud behind in the field. SO, whether you liked it or not, I am going in after you. Dunno, just saying.... Cheers to the brotherhood

Deep sigh.... day'um it Thai.... let me grab my gear, I'm right there with ya, beside ya......

... . ..

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Is this how you FEEL/THINK or what you know as a FACT? In my book, before I would consider him a deserter, I would want all the facts. I have not enough information to go with you. I think someone high-up might know a lot more than what we are told, but STILL he is a returned prisoner/captive (since there is no declared war, he really isnt a POW) and I am happy he is HOME. As for things he might have said, I used to say all kinds of crap when I was in the Marines. Why? because I KNEW I would get a response from a person (Pushing a Button and watching the fun syndrome). I used to say utter crap because I knew the ol gunney would piss-n-moan a certain way and it was fun to see. Yeah, I did a TON of extra duty for being a "wise-a$$" but it didnt mean I actually believed in what I was saying. you know, it was talk SH__, just to talk SH__. So whose to say, he just was being annoying to people he really didnt like? So many factors to consider before I start dishing-out the D-word. Dunno, just saying.....Peace

• Upvote 2

Is this how you FEEL/THINK or what you know as a FACT? In my book, before I would consider him a deserter, I would want all the facts. I have not enough information to go with you. I think someone high-up might know a lot more than what we are told, but STILL he is a returned prisoner/captive (since there is no declared war, he really isnt a POW) and I am happy he is HOME. As for things he might have said, I used to say all kinds of crap when I was in the Marines. Why? because I KNEW I would get a response from a person (Pushing a Button and watching the fun syndrome). I used to say utter crap because I knew the ol gunney would piss-n-moan a certain way and it was fun to see. Yeah, I did a TON of extra duty for being a "wise-a$$" but it didnt mean I actually believed in what I was saying. you know, it was talk SH__, just to talk SH__. So whose to say, he just was being annoying to people he really didnt like? So many factors to consider before I start dishing-out the D-word. Dunno, just saying.....Peace

His commanding officer at the time was on the tube and stated that he walked off the camp.  I would think that he would know what he`s talking about. 

And Razor I do agree with you a soldier left a soldier came home. But I would like the in between settled and taking care of before he`s referred to as a HERO

Thats all.  

T

• Upvote 1

His commanding officer at the time was on the tube and stated that he walked off the camp.  I would think that he would know what he`s talking about. 

And Razor I do agree with you a soldier left a soldier came home. But I would like the in between settled and taking care of before he`s referred to as a HERO

Thats all.  

T

They said PFC Lynch took on and killed an Iraqi platoon. They said Tilman was shoot in the head by enemy forces.

I think it's best we wait this out for the truth.

• Upvote 2

After hearing his fellow soldiers it seems pretty clear he left.

Hero - No

Didn't they used to hang deserters ? The whole thing stinks. Sorry Razur but not worth losing 6 soldiers.

How many soldiers will die due to the release of the Gitmo Gang.

Epic Obama Fail.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Maggie, common sense says you don't deal with terrorist or any other criminal for that very reason.  Law Enforcement Departments here in the U.S. do not negotiate for that very reason, as well.

-

Reagan traded arms for hostages.

Spin that.

• Upvote 2

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bowe-bergdahl-released/freedom-watch-dramatic-moment-taliban-released-bowe-bergdahl-n122006

The gov/military is looking into his actions before he left the base.

Quote the "file is quite thick"

140604-bergdahl-cover-645a_50c46f5833fcfVOICE OF JIHAD VIA AP an hour
Freedom: Watch the Dramatic Moment Taliban Released Bowe Bergdahl BY MUSHTAQ YUSUFZAI, CASSANDRA VINOGRAD AND JIM MIKLASZEWSKI

The Taliban released a video Wednesday showing the moment former prisoner Bowe Bergdahl was handed over to American custody.

The 17-minute video, sent to NBC News by a known Taliban spokesman, shows both sides quickly shaking hands before a clean-shaven Bergdahl is handed over.

A misspelled message later flashes on the screen, bearing a warning: "Don' come back to afghanistan."

Handshake Handoff: Taliban Video Shows Bergdahl ReleaseNBC NEWS
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Pentagon spokesman RADM John Kirby told NBC News there was "no reason to doubt the authenticity" of the clip.

"U.S. officials are currently reviewing the video, but our focus right now is in getting Bergdahl the care he needs," Kirby said.

Staff Sgt. Bergdahl, who was held captive for five years, was released Saturday in exchange for five high-ranking Taliban militants held by the U.S. at Guantanamo Bay.

The swap was criticized by members of Congress who say that the Obama administration violated the law by failing to inform Congress of the move in advance. Some lawmakers say the decision to transfer Guantanamo detainees amounts to "negotiating with terrorists."

Bergdahl remains at the U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany undergoing physical and psychological treatment.

In the video released by the Taliban, Bergdahl is shown in white local dress, appearing to blink in the bright light.

Obama Faces Political Firestorm Over Bergdahl’s ReleaseNIGHTLY NEWS
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

As a helicopter comes in for a landing, Bergdahl is brought out of the truck to wait, standing and clutching a plastic bag. Armed men dot the hillside above him.

Bergdahl is then led by two escorts - one of them waving a white flag - to greet three other men who have emerged from the helicopter in what appears to be civilian clothing.

Quick handshakes are exchanged and Bergdahl is patted down. One of the soldier's new escorts flashes a thumbs up to the waiting helicopter, which has soldiers inside.

Bergdahl is frisked again, his plastic bag discarded, and he is then loaded into the chopper.The entire apparent transfer - from helicopter landing to take off - takes just over one minute.

The video was also distributed on social media.

In the video, a Taliban commander discusses how the transfer was arranged, saying that local tribal elders had been approached to help negotiate with the U.S. and select a location for the handoff that would guarantee security.

The Americans were informed about the 18 armed militants who would be present on the hilltops and had asked questions about Bergdahl’s health and even facial hair before the swap, the commander adds.

The commander also noted that the U.S. had requested that a green light be carried to the meet, but that it was difficult to find one so a white flag was used instead.

Follow the link if you want to watch the videos..not sure why I can not get a clear link.

They said PFC Lynch took on and killed an Iraqi platoon. They said Tilman was shoot in the head by enemy forces.

Ahhh how quickly people forget.

This is all being scripted by political strategist... the "guest" are coached... the "reporters" are given scripts...

All to lead to one conclusion depending on the politica leanings of the network. No real "investigative journalism" anymore.

Heck I just learned that there is a tall building in Holliwood housing officers from every branch of our military whose jobs are to amend and approve any script for a war movie if the producers want access to military assets... ie planes,helicopters, tanks ect...

This is an effort to enhance the movies so as to grow the numbers in military recruitments... can't show how things really are.

4th Of July, Forest Gump and Saving Private Ryan refused the changes to their scripts, so they were left with much higher production cost.

So Much Propaganda... So Little Time...

"Hollywood And The Pentagon"

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/hollywood-and-the-pentagon/

• Upvote 2

I have to say I agree with Dog - I would like people to wait until they use the term "Hero"  - I would also like them to wait until they use the term "Deserter". 

I remember when this happened that there was a fairly extensive coverage.  Going back into the archives - I found this.

"Reports of how Bergdahl landed in enemy hands are conflicting.

On July 2, 2009, two U.S. officials told the AP the soldier "just walked off" his base with three Afghans. On July 6, the Taliban claimed they'd captured a "drunken American soldier." Bergdahl said in a video he was taken captive when he lagged behind on patrol.

The leaked information does little to resolve the matter.

According to the documents, five hours after Bergdahl missed a morning roll call, U.S. soldiers in the area picked up a radio transmission indicating "an American soldier is talking and looking for someone who speaks English."

The next day, another intercepted conversation appears to mock U.S. soldiers' efforts to find him. It claims an unarmed Bergdahl was captured during an attack on his post in Paktika province near the border with Pakistan in an area known to be a Taliban stronghold."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2010/07/2009_search_for_captured_idaho_soldier_detailed_in_wikileaks_documents.html

So - I wait until the investigation is done. Until them - I welcome back an American Serviceman who - whether willingly or unwillingly (as yet to be determined) has spent 5 years in the hands of the Taliban and has been used as a propaganda tool.  If he is guilty of breaking the Serviceman's code of conduct - then I hope the proper steps are taken for punishment.  At this point in time - for me - I'm in "wait and see" mode.  One of the great precepts of our our judicial system (which, while flawed, I believe is still a decent one) is "presumed innonecent until proven guilty."

Edited by tankdude
  • Upvote 1

I have to say I agree with Dog - I would like people to wait until they use the term "Hero"  - I would also like them to wait until they use the term "Deserter". 

I remember when this happened that there was a fairly extensive coverage.  Going back into the archives - I found this.

"Reports of how Bergdahl landed in enemy hands are conflicting.

On July 2, 2009, two U.S. officials told the AP the soldier "just walked off" his base with three Afghans. On July 6, the Taliban claimed they'd captured a "drunken American soldier." Bergdahl said in a video he was taken captive when he lagged behind on patrol.

The leaked information does little to resolve the matter.

According to the documents, five hours after Bergdahl missed a morning roll call, U.S. soldiers in the area picked up a radio transmission indicating "an American soldier is talking and looking for someone who speaks English."

The next day, another intercepted conversation appears to mock U.S. soldiers' efforts to find him. It claims an unarmed Bergdahl was captured during an attack on his post in Paktika province near the border with Pakistan in an area known to be a Taliban stronghold."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2010/07/2009_search_for_captured_idaho_soldier_detailed_in_wikileaks_documents.html

So - I wait until the investigation is done. Until them - I welcome back an American Serviceman who - whether willingly or unwillingly (as yet to be determined) has spent 5 years in the hands of the Taliban and has been used as a propaganda tool.  If he is guilty of breaking the Serviceman's code of conduct - then I hope the proper steps are taken for punishment.  At this point in time - for me - I'm in "wait and see" mode.  One of the great precepts of our our judicial system (which, while flawed, I believe is still a decent one) is "presumed innonecent until proven guilty."

Thank You Tankdude... Honestly I was waiting for you to weigh in on this a little more... and it was very much worth the wait.

I know you have thought this out from a more informed and less biased position... that is what I love about you.

Thank You also for the quotes and the link... I'll certainly check it out. Much Appreciated.