Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

California mass shooting: British-born gunman 'very disturbed', say family

umbertino

Elliot Rodger, 22, killed six victims and injured 13 on the rampage through the small student-dominated town of Isla Vista in California

By Philip Sherwell, Nick Allen and James Edgar

10:59AM BST 25 May 2014

The British-born gunman who carried out a massacre in a quiet California university town was “very disturbed” his family have said.

Elliot Rodger, 22, who killed six victims and injured 13, was armed with three weapons and police believe he had been intent on even greater carnage before taking his own life.

The killer was born in London to an English father – film director Peter Rodger – and a Malaysian mother, but moved to America at the age of five.

His grandmother, Lois Rodger, told the Mail on Sunday from her home in Kent: “He was a very disturbed boy.”

The gunman’s aunt, Jenni Rodger, who now lives in France, told the Sunday Times that the family had concerns about him for a long time.

“Even as a child he was very, very disturbed,” she said.

“He was always a loner and was very dark and very depressed. He never used to laugh. I never heard of him ever having a friend.”

It has emerged the killer, who had Asperger’s syndrome, had 400 rounds of ammunition left when sheriff's deputies brought his murderous rampage to a halt.

Last night 3,000 people gathered in silence on the campus of the University of California Santa Barbara, each carrying a candle. They walked silently from the campus and through the small student-dominated town of Isla Vista, passing close to where the victims were killed.

They then gathered at a clearing in a park where, as night fell, students took turns at a microphone expressing their grief.

Bill Brown, Sheriff of Santa Barbara, said Rodger's murderous spree began when he stabbed and killed three men at his student residence.

He then made his way to the Alpha Phi sorority house where he intended to commit mass murder, according to his plans for what he called the "day of retribution" as spelled out in a 141-page written manifesto that became public last night.

Despite his loud and aggressive knocking, no female students answered the door and Rodger retreated across the street. From there, he shot three women who were outside the house, killing two of them - both UCSB students - and seriously wounding a third with several shots.

Rodger drove to another location, a grocery store, where he shot and killed his sixth victim, Christopher Martinez, another UCSB student, who had just left his apartment to buy some food.

The gunman then jumped into his BMW and sped off through the student community, firing off more bullets at passers-by and mowing down two bicyclists, though remarkably killing nobody else.

Sheriff's deputies patrolling on feet engaged him in gun battles on two separate occasions. On the second encounter, he was apparently shot through the hip.

As he tried to drive off at high speed, he struck the second bicyclist and the rider was thrown onto the car's bonnet and smashed the windscreen, causing Rodger to crash into other vehicles.

By the time officers reached the car and dragged him out of the vehicle, he was "obviously dead" from what was believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot to the head, the sheriff said.

Mr Brown said that 13 people were injured and six killed, as well as Rodger, in 12 crime scene incidents at 10 different locations.

Deputies recovered three 9mm semi-automatic handguns from the car - two Sig Sauers and a Glock - and more than 400 rounds of ammunition. The weapons were all legally purchased at licensed Californian gun dealers and registered to Rodger.

The ease with which the young man acquired the weapons will once again raise questions about gun legislation in America.

Earlier, Mr Martinez's grief-stricken father broke down in tears after railing at America's lax gun laws as he described how his family was "lost and broken".

"Chris died because of craven irresponsible politicians and the National Rifle Association," said Richard Martinez.

"They talk about gun rights. What about Chris' right to live? When will this insanity stop?"

In the manifesto he left behind, entitled "My Twisted World" the gunman outlined his deep-rooted fury with perceived slights by society.

He detailed how sheriff's deputies almost thwarted his killing plan when they knocked on his door last month.

The officers were responding to a call by a family member - believed to be Rodger's mother - expressing concern about his mental well-being.

Rodger wrote about his relief that the officers did not enter his apartment as they would have found his weapons and writings if they had searched his room.

He said: "I had the striking and devastating fear that someone had somehow discovered what I was planning to do, and reported me for it."

But Mr Brown, the sheriff, said that his deputies left after questioning Rodger and determining that he did not need to be locked up for mental health reasons.

In the manifesto, Rodger explained how he downplayed his family's concerns, but said he was having difficulties with his social life and intended to drop out of college.

But the document revealed in chilling detail how he plotted for more than a year what he repeatedly called the "day of retribution", including his plans to start his murderous spree in his apartment - as he apparently did.

"On the day before the Day of Retribution, I will start the First Phase of my vengeance: Silently killing as many people as I can around Isla Vista by luring them into my apartment through some form of trickery," he wrote.

He revealed that he had originally planned to carry out his attack April 26, but had to postpone it because of a cold.

He repeatedly expressed his fury that he could not find a girlfriend, his loathing for women and his anger when confronted with other young men of his age who had girlfriends. He wrote obsessively about his virginity even as he imagined the sex lives of his peers.

As he built towards his conclusion, his writings turned ever sicker and he imagined putting women in concentration camps and starving them to death, keeping alive just the women needed for breeding purposes.

The biographical document listed the insults he felt he had suffered in life starting from his frustrations about being withdrawn from his English prep school when his family moved to the US when he was five.

He revealed that he was obsessed with video games, particularly World of Warcraft, the online video participation game.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10854992/California-mass-shooting-British-born-gunman-very-disturbed-say-family.html

Elliot Rodger, 22, killed six victims and injured 13 on the rampage through the small student-dominated town of Isla Vista in California

By Philip Sherwell, Nick Allen and James Edgar

10:59AM BST 25 May 2014

The British-born gunman who carried out a massacre in a quiet California university town was “very disturbed” his family have said.

Elliot Rodger, 22, who killed six victims and injured 13, was armed with three weapons and police believe he had been intent on even greater carnage before taking his own life.

The killer was born in London to an English father – film director Peter Rodger – and a Malaysian mother, but moved to America at the age of five.

His grandmother, Lois Rodger, told the Mail on Sunday from her home in Kent: “He was a very disturbed boy.”

The gunman’s aunt, Jenni Rodger, who now lives in France, told the Sunday Times that the family had concerns about him for a long time.

“Even as a child he was very, very disturbed,” she said.

“He was always a loner and was very dark and very depressed. He never used to laugh. I never heard of him ever having a friend.”

It has emerged the killer, who had Asperger’s syndrome, had 400 rounds of ammunition left when sheriff's deputies brought his murderous rampage to a halt.

Last night 3,000 people gathered in silence on the campus of the University of California Santa Barbara, each carrying a candle. They walked silently from the campus and through the small student-dominated town of Isla Vista, passing close to where the victims were killed.

They then gathered at a clearing in a park where, as night fell, students took turns at a microphone expressing their grief.

Bill Brown, Sheriff of Santa Barbara, said Rodger's murderous spree began when he stabbed and killed three men at his student residence.

He then made his way to the Alpha Phi sorority house where he intended to commit mass murder, according to his plans for what he called the "day of retribution" as spelled out in a 141-page written manifesto that became public last night.

Despite his loud and aggressive knocking, no female students answered the door and Rodger retreated across the street. From there, he shot three women who were outside the house, killing two of them - both UCSB students - and seriously wounding a third with several shots.

Rodger drove to another location, a grocery store, where he shot and killed his sixth victim, Christopher Martinez, another UCSB student, who had just left his apartment to buy some food.

The gunman then jumped into his BMW and sped off through the student community, firing off more bullets at passers-by and mowing down two bicyclists, though remarkably killing nobody else.

Sheriff's deputies patrolling on feet engaged him in gun battles on two separate occasions. On the second encounter, he was apparently shot through the hip.

As he tried to drive off at high speed, he struck the second bicyclist and the rider was thrown onto the car's bonnet and smashed the windscreen, causing Rodger to crash into other vehicles.

By the time officers reached the car and dragged him out of the vehicle, he was "obviously dead" from what was believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot to the head, the sheriff said.

Mr Brown said that 13 people were injured and six killed, as well as Rodger, in 12 crime scene incidents at 10 different locations.

Deputies recovered three 9mm semi-automatic handguns from the car - two Sig Sauers and a Glock - and more than 400 rounds of ammunition. The weapons were all legally purchased at licensed Californian gun dealers and registered to Rodger.

The ease with which the young man acquired the weapons will once again raise questions about gun legislation in America.

Earlier, Mr Martinez's grief-stricken father broke down in tears after railing at America's lax gun laws as he described how his family was "lost and broken".

"Chris died because of craven irresponsible politicians and the National Rifle Association," said Richard Martinez.

"They talk about gun rights. What about Chris' right to live? When will this insanity stop?"

In the manifesto he left behind, entitled "My Twisted World" the gunman outlined his deep-rooted fury with perceived slights by society.

He detailed how sheriff's deputies almost thwarted his killing plan when they knocked on his door last month.

The officers were responding to a call by a family member - believed to be Rodger's mother - expressing concern about his mental well-being.

Rodger wrote about his relief that the officers did not enter his apartment as they would have found his weapons and writings if they had searched his room.

He said: "I had the striking and devastating fear that someone had somehow discovered what I was planning to do, and reported me for it."

But Mr Brown, the sheriff, said that his deputies left after questioning Rodger and determining that he did not need to be locked up for mental health reasons.

In the manifesto, Rodger explained how he downplayed his family's concerns, but said he was having difficulties with his social life and intended to drop out of college.

But the document revealed in chilling detail how he plotted for more than a year what he repeatedly called the "day of retribution", including his plans to start his murderous spree in his apartment - as he apparently did.

"On the day before the Day of Retribution, I will start the First Phase of my vengeance: Silently killing as many people as I can around Isla Vista by luring them into my apartment through some form of trickery," he wrote.

He revealed that he had originally planned to carry out his attack April 26, but had to postpone it because of a cold.

He repeatedly expressed his fury that he could not find a girlfriend, his loathing for women and his anger when confronted with other young men of his age who had girlfriends. He wrote obsessively about his virginity even as he imagined the sex lives of his peers.

As he built towards his conclusion, his writings turned ever sicker and he imagined putting women in concentration camps and starving them to death, keeping alive just the women needed for breeding purposes.

The biographical document listed the insults he felt he had suffered in life starting from his frustrations about being withdrawn from his English prep school when his family moved to the US when he was five.

He revealed that he was obsessed with video games, particularly World of Warcraft, the online video participation game.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10854992/California-mass-shooting-British-born-gunman-very-disturbed-say-family.html

Personally, I think the NKA(National Knife Association) is to blame. Knives started the whole thing. Da*n, just da*n. People are so ignorant of causes, and it seems, are adamant to remain so. It's just easier to blame inanimate objects than to blame your own flesh and blood, I guess.

I pray God's blessings and grace on all victims and families involved.

Wow! Some people are so ignorant. So I guess these politicians and the NRA put these guns and knifes in his hands and told him to go kill innocent people. When will people start putting the blame where it belongs, and stop making the killers out to be the victims.

• Upvote 2

Wow! Some people are so ignorant. So I guess these politicians and the NRA put these guns and knifes in his hands and told him to go kill innocent people. When will people start putting the blame where it belongs, and stop making the killers out to be the victims.

Gonna go out on a limb here, I'm thinking he was on SSRIs like most, if not all, spree killers.

It's just beyond me how a seemingly intelligent person will instantly make the most absurdly stupid comments, just to keep from having to deal with reality.

I get it, he's hurt, just lost his son, and probably even worse for that idiot, his son just embarrassed him on the global stage, so let's just jump on the empty headed morons liberal babble and start spewing more deadly gun rhetoric.

Ya know, I was in a gun store last week, there were at least 50 of them on display, and NOT ONE pulled it's trigger at me, NOT FREAKING ONE!

Could it be, guns don't actually kill anybody, it's people on psyche meds that do???

Not taking away from the tragedy, but this damn hysterical bull crud blame game has to stop.

Just like those stinking global. warmers.

It's almost June, and there's still several feet of snow in the local hills, barely even mountains.

Right now, not quite 50 degrees out, but the alarmists put out a report that says basically, even though there's no proof, and nothing in the actual historic facts to suggest the temps will rise, but they  are a bunch of screaming weenie alarmist bitc*es and so they are predicting in 35 years it will be hot outside, so you have to do everything they say now,(mostly that means give them free money so they can fly around in their jets and keep the lights on in their mansions while they are telling everyone else what a bunch of ingrates you are.), but if you question their actual motives your not just stupid, your a racist, and you hate everyone and everything you need to die because you don't worship them.

Well, I am so convinced....

• Upvote 2

Ive been to UCSB a couple of times to visit friends from college very rich area and safe usually, beautiful scenery and beautiful people. This college is literally like a different world the first time i went. Its sad this took place Eliiot rodger was a troubled young man that got everything handed to him and thought he could buy the super model blonde college girl and was envious of other men. What elliot didnt know is that is NOT how it works. Even with money and looks you have to have a personality and engage in discussion.  I read he had asbergers syndrome which might be why he had NO friends, they tend to be socially awkward, Anyhow R.I.P to the ones that lost their lives that night.  A monster is dead but he took some with him. Lets hope Isla Vista heals from this tragedy. It may take time. 

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 1

Ive been to UCSB a couple of times to visit friends from college very rich area and safe usually, beautiful scenery and beautiful people. This college is literally like a different world the first time i went. Its sad this took place Eliiot rodger was a troubled young man that got everything handed to him and thought he could buy the super model blonde college girl and was envious of other men. What elliot didnt know is that is NOT how it works. Even with money and looks you have to have a personality and engage in discussion.  I read he had asbergers syndrome which might be why he had NO friends, they tend to be socially awkward, Anyhow R.I.P to the ones that lost their lives that night.  A monster is dead but he took some with him. Lets hope Isla Vista heals from this tragedy. It may take time. 

Thank You Easyrider for your personal perspective on this... Much Appreciated.

Sending prayers and much love to all the families and to the community of Isia Vista... this is so heart breaking for all of them.

A monster is dead.

No possible way no one ever noticed anything.

I'm betting we are going to start hearing about neighbors complaints and police involvement, but because of their money, the kid always got away .

That video was a rotten spoiled brat that was pissed because even the other spoiled brats didn't like him.

Of course his dad needs to immediately start blaming something else, anything besides the truth.

• Upvote 3

I too feel  for all the families involved.  Including the shooter.

As a mother my heart would be broken, just shattered to the deepest core and probably would blame the shooter for his irrational evil thinking.  His thinking caused him to use an object to commit an horrific crime.  This goes deep and we may never know the truth behind this.  But when Satan is in control of our emotions, we have know idea what the outcome will be.  This is a sad outcome. 

Now secondly this will give all the gun haters to take the opportunity to jump on gun control again.  In actuality, it was the person that cause this crime.  The media will milk this, this will not subside anytime soon.   

• Upvote 1

Another seriously heartbreaking tragedy...

I know that most people are only focusing on those who were killed by this kid and their families and that is absolutely the first thing I naturally thought about as well, but I also realized that this is an all around tragedy for this kid and his family too. I am in no way condoning or making any kind of excuse for what he did... What I am pointing out here is that yes, many young innocent people lost their lives in this incident and their families and loved ones are suffering greatly, but that is not where our sorrows and concerns should end, which seems to be the case with many of these situations.

This kid was obviously very disturbed and in great emotional pain and torment and in need of some real help. Where was that help? Who cared enough about this young man to REALLY get him the help he needed? Yes, I understand that he was from a wealthy family but, that seems at times to add to mental health problems, especially with younger people. Many well to do families are pretty broken because the parents work all of the time and don't spend much time with their children. They are too caught up in their social lives, or cheating on their spouses, etc. The children are mostly raised by nannies and shuffled around. The parents buy them things to substitute for their absence as if that will give a kid any sense of real love or intimacy with other human beings.

This was obviously deeply rooted from childhood. We don't know the whole story but, we should have just as much compassion for this kid and his family as we do his victims. They after all lost a child as well and have to live with the fact that their child murdered innocent people before taking his own life.

Can you imagine how hopeless and hurt and desperate an individual must be in order to do such a thing? He had a known mental disorder and obviously people knew he was having trouble. I honestly just don't think they took it seriously enough (which seems to happen a lot) or sadly maybe just bought him a new BMW and patted him on the back and said, "don't forget to see your psychiatrist next month son". There were several contributing factors to what took place, but this kid was also obviously tragically love starved! Of course this is no reason to murder people but, unfortunately that is how it ends up all too often. He was crying out and no one was listening.

Too many times do these things take place and the blame gets shuffled (as in this case) to the matter of "guns". This kid used knives and his vehicle as well but, notice the issue pushed is "guns". I have stated before and I'll say it again, I don't own guns nor do I want anything to do with them personally, however, I do believe in our constitutional rights and that people should have that choice. Guns have no conscience, no thoughts, no power to pick themselves up and fire their own trigger. PEOPLE kill people! Guns are just one of the many mediums in which they do it with.

Also, IMO it goes to show how evilness is planted, sowed and allowed to grow unnoticed until it is too late. This is the work of satan and unless people wake up and get to know our Heavenly Father they don't have a chance.

My prayers go out to all of the families who lost loved ones including this kids' family. That they may find some peace and that YHWH/God strengthens them so that they may find their way through this dark time. I pray that our Heavenly Father have mercy on this world and protects all of his children against the things that are to come. Amen.

• Upvote 1

***///

Kalifornia is #1 in implementing tough gun legislation.

How's that workin' for ya....? <_<

The local head cop was voted into office in spite of his belief in the People's Right to Bear Arms...

Once in office he actually let his true colours shine through and is actively eliminating those Rights,

going SO far as to actually rescind many Peoples' Concealed Weapons Permits.

How'd THAT work for ya, guy?  When you own force engaged him several times and failed...

Perhaps if some of those CWP folks still had their guns, he would've been stopped sooner, eh?

• Upvote 3

"Chris died because of craven irresponsible politicians and the National Rifle Association"

I'm glad that I am not the only one that found this line to be over the top.

Good to see ya SgtFury.....

Edited by bigwave
  • Upvote 1

Divemaster. You make a very good point. Someone knew this kid would explode

sooner or later. I recently started a new job back in January. There's this one driver

who's always upset and saying bad things about the company. A couple of weeks

ago he made the statement in front of me and another employee that our dispatcher

was the reason people bring guns to work. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to

do. I talked about it with the other employee, but he didn't want to make a big deal

out of it. Being the new guy I don't want to be seen as someone stirring the pot. So

I prayed about it for some time. I finally came to the conclusion, if this person did

bring a gun to work and killed someone was I prepared to live with my decision to

keep quiet. No. I have enough skeletons in my closet. So I spoke to the bosses and

let them handle it. It's a very simple matter, evil will only prevail when good people

do nothing.

• Upvote 3

I recently started a new job back in January.  

So I spoke to the bosses and let them handle it.

It's a very simple matter, evil will only prevail when good people do nothing.

Congrats on the job, which makes your action even more commendable.

Well done, you are correct, and did the right thing.

• Upvote 1

Yep, Richard Martinez is a brain-dead liberal, who sent his liberal son to a Godless evolution promoting liberal university, got killed by a liberal lunatic, in a gun-free zone.......................and blames everyone and everything except the root of the issue, or the killer.

• Upvote 3

Thank You Easyrider for your personal perspective on this... Much Appreciated.

Sending prayers and much love to all the families and to the community of Isia Vista... this is so heart breaking for all of them.

Let me join you in this, Maggie.

They can say he obtained the guns legally if they want. The truth is that he could not legally own a gun since he was diagnosed with ASD, was classified as extremely paranoid, and was percribed Risperidone which is an antipsycotic drug. If he bought the guns from a legal gun dealer, he lied on the paperwork. Also, was he even a US citizen? If not that too would disqualify him from owning a firearm. If they want to blame someone for this, they need to blame the police. Elliot's family notified the police days before this happened that he was posting those videos.

Roadrunner

• Upvote 3