Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Just How Much Beyond the Presidential Salary Do The Obamas Spend on Travel and Vacays?

Just How Much Beyond the Presidential Salary Do The Obamas Spend on Travel and Vacays?
10,443 Shares By Michael Hausam 12 hours ago
obama-airforceone-hawaii-630x330.jpg?437

Obama administration travel and vacation documents were released yesterday by Judicial Watch,  and they reveal an unprecedented level of executive branch leisure spending.

According to public information: “As of 2001, the president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment. The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and President Bill Clinton in 1999 and went into effect in 2001.”

Obtained via a Freedom of Information request, here are some of the Obama presidency’s spending items:

• Since 2009, a total of $40,000,000 has been spent.
  • This year’s Presidential golf outings to California and Florida, including $3,000,000 in flight expenses.
  • 2013′s Africa trip and Honolulu vacations for the Obamas cost $16,000,000- for flight expenses alone.
  • 2013′s Ireland trip tab: $8,000,000.
  • Michelle Obama’s 2-day side trip to Dublin cost $250,000, including a $3,500 per-night suite.

To put these figures in perspective, the administration spends every 5 hours what the average American family spends each summer on vacations. And that only counts those that actually are financially able to vacation. To put it another way, it takes the annual income taxes of 926 typical households to cover these costs.

Or another way, that’s 70 times what the president is allotted in compensation on a yearly basis.

Is there any conceivable way to justify a monthly average travel and vacation budget of $625,000? For a President that constantly harps on about income inequality and shared sacrifice, his lavish presidential lifestyle is the epitome of hypocrisy.

• Upvote 10

The article:
Who vacationed more, Bush or Obama?

By Louis Jacobson
Published on Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 at 11:16 a.m.

Related rulings:rulings%2Ftom-mostlytrue.gifSays President Barack Obama "has taken 92 days of vacation since he was sworn in," compared to 367 for President George W. Bush at the same point in his presidency.

Al Sharpton, Friday, August 9th, 2013.

Ruling: Mostly True | Details

Share this article:

politifact%2Fphotos%2FObama_golfing.jpg

President Barack Obama golfs at the Vineyard Golf Club in Edgartown, Mass., Aug. 12, 2013.

It’s an old tradition in American politics -- taking potshots at the president for his vacation choices.

As the Obamas took off for Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts, critics attacked their vacation as too lavish. But one of the Obamas’ defenders was the Rev. Al Sharpton, who hosts a show on MSNBC.

Sharpton said Obama "has taken 92 days of vacation since he was sworn in. How many did President (George W.) Bush take by the same point in his presidency? Three hundred and sixty seven. Yes, more than a full year of vacation."

Was Sharpton right? Our fact-check looked at data compiled by CBS News reporter Mark Knoller, the acknowledged authority on how presidents spend their days in office. We also noted different patterns in how Bush and Obama vactioned. We rated Sharpton’s statement Mostly True. Read our fact-check for complete details.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

OC Dude - Here is a more recent article. Bottom line is that they all are way over the top spending my money. I've heard since I was a kid that the Goverment would spend 2K for a toilet and my whole family would laugh and it still boils my blood.

"Obamas set new record for vacation travel expenses; stonewalled documents finally released"

"It took filing a lawsuit, but Judicial Watch discovered Friday that President Obama has set a new record for travel on the taxpayer dime.

The conservative watchdog group obtained travel records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force that show the Obamas racked up $7.4 million during just three trips in 2013 – in flight expenses only.

The records, revealed Friday, include the Obama family’s Christmas vacation in Hawaii from Dec. 21, 2012, to Jan. 5, 2013. During that stay, the president took a short break and flew back to Washington to work on a budget deal, then returned for the rest of his vacation.

Obama-vacation-Marthas-Vineyard-300x234.

Photo credit: Cape Cod Times/Steve Heaslip

The second trip was in early August, 2013, when Obama flew to California for a private fundraiser with DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, then appeared with Jay Leno on the “Tonight Show.” Later that month, the Obama family vacationed in Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.

Judicial Watch filed the lawsuit in August 2013, after repeated stonewalling by the White House. The group reported:

*    The outbound flight to Honolulu for the Obamas’ 2012-13 Christmas vacation cost taxpayers $2, 214, 393.60. The return flight to Washington cost $1,871,961.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $4,086,355.20.

*    The outbound flight to California in August, 2013 for Obama to dine with Katzenberg and appear on the “The Tonight Show” cost taxpayers $1,209,926.40. The return flight to Washington cost $935,980.80. Flight expenditures alone came to $2,145,907.20.

*    The outbound flight to Martha’s Vineyard for the Obama family’s August vacation cost taxpayers $890,323.20. The return flight to Washington cost $273,945.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $1,164,268.80.

*   The grand total of $7,396,531.20, Judicial Watch pointed out, only accounted for flight expenses for the three trips.

“The fact is, the Obamas are abusing the public trust and the taxpayers with unnecessary luxurious vacations and travel,” Judicial Watch said in its report. “These staggering costs show why these documents were covered-up and we had to sue in federal court to get them.  Another transparency fail for the Obama gang, but thanks to our federal lawsuit it is another accountability win for the American taxpayer.”

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/03/01/obamas-set-new-record-for-vacation-travel-expenses-stonewalled-documents-finally-released-103822

OC Dude - Here is a more recent article. Bottom line is that they all are way over the top spending my money. I've heard since I was a kid that the Goverment would spend 2K for a toilet and my whole family would laugh and it still boils my blood.

"Obamas set new record for vacation travel expenses; stonewalled documents finally released"

"It took filing a lawsuit, but Judicial Watch discovered Friday that President Obama has set a new record for travel on the taxpayer dime.

The conservative watchdog group obtained travel records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force that show the Obamas racked up $7.4 million during just three trips in 2013 – in flight expenses only.

The records, revealed Friday, include the Obama family’s Christmas vacation in Hawaii from Dec. 21, 2012, to Jan. 5, 2013. During that stay, the president took a short break and flew back to Washington to work on a budget deal, then returned for the rest of his vacation.

Obama-vacation-Marthas-Vineyard-300x234.

Photo credit: Cape Cod Times/Steve Heaslip

The second trip was in early August, 2013, when Obama flew to California for a private fundraiser with DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, then appeared with Jay Leno on the “Tonight Show.” Later that month, the Obama family vacationed in Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.

Judicial Watch filed the lawsuit in August 2013, after repeated stonewalling by the White House. The group reported:

“The fact is, the Obamas are abusing the public trust and the taxpayers with unnecessary luxurious vacations and travel,” Judicial Watch said in its report. “These staggering costs show why these documents were covered-up and we had to sue in federal court to get them.  Another transparency fail for the Obama gang, but thanks to our federal lawsuit it is another accountability win for the American taxpayer.”

*    The outbound flight to Honolulu for the Obamas’ 2012-13 Christmas vacation cost taxpayers $2, 214, 393.60. The return flight to Washington cost $1,871,961.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $4,086,355.20.

*    The outbound flight to California in August, 2013 for Obama to dine with Katzenberg and appear on the “The Tonight Show” cost taxpayers $1,209,926.40. The return flight to Washington cost $935,980.80. Flight expenditures alone came to $2,145,907.20.

*    The outbound flight to Martha’s Vineyard for the Obama family’s August vacation cost taxpayers $890,323.20. The return flight to Washington cost $273,945.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $1,164,268.80.

*   The grand total of $7,396,531.20, Judicial Watch pointed out, only accounted for flight expenses for the three trips.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/03/01/obamas-set-new-record-for-vacation-travel-expenses-stonewalled-documents-finally-released-103822

Yeah...the Bush's record SEVEN trips  to Africa on my dime didn't count, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Over  eight years

Bush was in Africa to help eradicate aids... Typical Liberal,Deny,then Blame others... Classic...

Bush and his daughters were in Africa to go on safari. What exactly could he do to eradicate AIDS?? Typical Bush apologist.

During Bush’s second term alone, Laura Bush made five “goodwill” trips to Africa. President Bush made the trip twice during his presidency. Here is former First Lady Bush at an event the night before their trip in 2008, “Tomorrow, President Bush and I leave for what will be my fifth trip to Africa since 2001, and his second trip to Africa since 2001. I’ve seen the determination of the people across Africa — and the compassion of the people of the United States of America.”

Wow, that’s a lot of trips to Africa. In 2007, Laura Bush also took her daughters with her, and they went on a safari. 

BTW....over eight years, Bush was on vacation for OVER A YEAR.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

"Bottom line is that they all are way over the top spending my money. I've heard since I was a kid that the Goverment would spend 2K for a toilet and my whole family would laugh and it still boils my blood."

WE the People better get a grip......

• Upvote 2

Over  eight years

Bush and his daughters were in Africa to go on safari. What exactly could he do to eradicate AIDS?? Typical Bush apologist.

During Bush’s second term alone, Laura Bush made five “goodwill” trips to Africa. President Bush made the trip twice during his presidency. Here is former First Lady Bush at an event the night before their trip in 2008, “Tomorrow, President Bush and I leave for what will be my fifth trip to Africa since 2001, and his second trip to Africa since 2001. I’ve seen the determination of the people across Africa — and the compassion of the people of the United States of America.”

Wow, that’s a lot of trips to Africa. In 2007, Laura Bush also took her daughters with her, and they went on a safari. 

BTW....over eight years, Bush was on vacation for OVER A YEAR.

Like I said,the Bushes where in Africa to support the African People..Unlike the Obama's,who fly around the world,just for Sh*ts and giggles...And like the thread said,the hypocrisy of Obama saying,(WE All got to pay our fair share) is Appalling.. Talk about an Apologist,you take the preverbial cake...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Like I said,the Bushes where in Africa to support the African People..Unlike the Obama's,who fly around the world,just for Sh*ts and giggles...And like the thread said,the hypocrisy of Obama saying,(WE All got to pay our fair share) is Appalling.. Talk about an Apologist,you take the preverbial cake..

The Bushes were in Africa for sh*ts and giggles, dear. Did you miss where Laura and the girls went just for a safari??

As NPR's David Green reported in July 2005:

GREEN: Laura Bush's first stop in Africa was a safari lodge on the South Africa-Botswana border. It was to be an exotic weekend alone for her and her twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara. On the other hand, the first lady explained, they were not totally alone.

Mrs. LAURA BUSH: We saw elephants and rhino and hippopotamus and lion and zebra and...

And the fact that Bush was on vacation for more than a YEAR OF HIS PRESIDENCY??

As for apologists....YOU take the PROVERBIAL cake.

Edited by ocdude
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

The Bushes were in Africa for sh*ts and giggles, dear. Did you miss where Laura and the girls went just for a safari??

As NPR's David Green reported in July 2005:

GREEN: Laura Bush's first stop in Africa was a safari lodge on the South Africa-Botswana border. It was to be an exotic weekend alone for her and her twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara. On the other hand, the first lady explained, they were not totally alone.

Mrs. LAURA BUSH: We saw elephants and rhino and hippopotamus and lion and zebra and...

And the fact that Bush was on vacation for more than a YEAR OF HIS PRESIDENCY??

As for apologists....YOU take the PROVERBIAL cake.

Its nice to see Jay Carney is Trolling on DV.. Your Boss should be Proud...

Its nice to see Jay Carney is Trolling on DV.. Your Boss should be Proud...

Also,What does Bush have to do with this thread?? Like I said,deny,then blame others...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Also,What does Bush have to do with this thread?? Like I said,deny,then blame others...

Funny...it's only when the black guy does something that it inspires outrage. When Bush did those things....it was business as usual.

No denial from me, unlike you. Just the facts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

Funny...it's only when the black guy does something that it inspires outrage. When Bush did those things....it was business as usual.

No denial from me, unlike you. Just the facts.

It was just a matter of time before you put race into the conversation,yet again a Liberal talking point,how typical.. How sad..( The Black Guy )  ..   You Fail...

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

It was just a matter of time before you put race into the conversation,yet again a Liberal talking point,how typical.. How sad..( The Black Guy )  ..   You Fail...

Chuckle. Pointing out racism isn't a fail. Ever.The white president takes over a YEAR of vacations....no problem.

The black guy goes golfing....OH My GOD....

Coincidence?? No.

Edited by ocdude
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

It should be clear by now, after five years in office, that our first half-white president is beyond reproach for anything he or his family does.  The mainstream media anointed him divine emperor and is, in large part, responsible for what we have been given by this president; an assault on the Constitution, blatant cronyism, and a willful disregard for the rule of law.  The media, along with this out-of-control president, must be held accountable for their actions....as they will be by history.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We can not change the past and I am sick to death of people bringing up what other Pres have done. IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! This country is in DIRE straights NOW! We are 16 T in debt and it gets worse by the min. If you can not pay your mortgage do you take your kids to Disney world? NO you don't. You eat rice and beans, cut cable or get a second job. You do not max out all your credit cards then get more to go on vacation, you get your money under control. I do not understand why they are allowed to continue in this manner. Obama :rulez: has put more debt on us in the last 6 years than ANY other pres, but that still is not the point. We are where we are and they have got to do something about it now! I am afraid it really is too late. I just hope the RV hits before the poop hits the fan so I can get out of dodge.

Edited by Markinsa
Language: See Forum Rules
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

No other politician or family in history has ever spent more money that this POS - POTUS we have in office now.  The amount of money he and his family have spent is the topic of this thread.

When you say things like "no other president..." that makes what former presidents have spent relevant....especially when what other (white) presidents is as much or more than the current one.

ONE FULL YEAR of vacation by this time in his term....yet you guys talk about the 96 days Obama has spent as if it is shocking.

As for Obama adding more debt....nope.

U.S. Debt by President Why the Winner Is...George W. Bush!

President George W. Bush - President Bush added the most to the debt, more than $6 trillion. This more than doubled the debt, which was $5.8 trillion on September 30, 2001 -- the end of FY 2001, which was President Clinton's last budget. Bush responded to the 9/11 attacks by launching the War on Terror. This drove military spending to record levels,  $600-$800 billion a year. This included the Iraq War, which cost $807.5 billion. President Bush also responded to the 2001 recession by passing EGTRRA and JGTRRA, otherwise known as theBush tax cuts, which reduced revenue. He approved a $700 billion bailout package for banks to combat the 2008 global financial crisis.  For more, see the Bush Administration.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt - President Roosevelt increased the debt the most percentage-wise. Although he only added $236 billion, this was more than a 1,000% increase over the $23 billion debt level left by President Hoover's last budget. Of course, the Great Depression took a huge bite out of revenues. However, most of the debt was added to gear up for World War II, not to pay for the New Deal.  In fact, $209 billion alone was added to the debt between 1942-1945. 

President Barack Obama - The second largest contributor to the debt dollar-wise was President Obama. He added $4.8 trillion, a 41% increase, in just one term. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package, which added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding job-creating public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt over two years. Obama's budget included increased defense spending to around $800 billion a year. Federal income was down, thanks to lower tax receipts from the 2008 financial crisis.

Both Presidents Bush and Obama had to contend with higher mandatory mandatory spending for Social Security and Medicare. He also sponsored the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was designed to reduce the debt by $143 billion over 10 years. However, these savings didn't show up until the later years. For more, see National Debt Under Obama.

President Woodrow Wilson - President Wilson was the second largest contributor to the debt percentage-wise. Although he only added $21 billion, this was a 727% increase over the $3 billion debt level of his predecessor. Of course, Wilson had to pay for World War I. In fact, the Second Liberty Bond Act was enacted during his Presidency, giving Congress the right to enact the national debt ceilingArticle updated April 4, 2014

Amount Each President Added to the Debt per Fiscal Year Since 1960:

President Barack Obama: Added $5.081 trillion, a 44% increase to the $11.657 trillion debt level attributable to President Bush at the end of his last budget, FY 2009.

• FY 2013 - $672 billion.
  • FY 2012 - $1.276 trillion.
  • FY 2011 - $1.229 trillion.
  • FY 2010 - $1.652 trillion.
  • FY 2009 - $253 billion. (Congress passed the  Economic Stimulus Act, which spent  $253 billion in FY 2009. This rare occurrence should be added to President Obama's contribution to the debt.) 

President George W. Bush: Added $5.849  trillion, a 101% increase to the $5.8 trillion debt level at the end of Clinton's last budget, FY 2001.

• FY 2009 - $1.632 trillion. (Bush's deficit without the impact of the Economic Stimulus Act).
  • FY 2008 - $1.017 trillion.
  • FY 2007 - $501 billion.
  • FY 2006 - $574 billion.
  • FY 2005 - $554 billion.
  • FY 2004 - $596 billion.
  • FY 2003 - $555 billion.
  • FY 2002 - $421 billion.
Edited by ocdude
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

65590d1279616809-national-debt-increase-

politifact%2Fphotos%2Fdebt_email.jpg

Not as many words to reveal the facts.  Lies require following a deceptive wed of entanglement.  

Did you miss the "WOULD"??? That means it is a projection.... My article is fact...from THIS year, not 2009. And The Heritage Foundation??? I'll accept that when you accept a left wing biased site.

Edited by ocdude
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

Not blaming Bush...just pointing out the truth.

By the way....when is "Make up blatant lies about Obama that gullible people keep believing" gonna be over?

After the Benghazi & IRS Impeachment Hearings??

-

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1