Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Georgia allows guns in bars...but not at State Capitol

AmericaInc

I find it quite interesting the GA politicians made a new law to allow guns in bars, airports, churches and schools...but not near them at the capitol.     Georgia law allows guns in some schools, bars, churches

By Devon M. Sayers and Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
April 23, 2014 -- Updated 2012 GMT (0412 HKT)
140423133227-bts-ga-gov-deal-signs-gun-b

Deal: We have the right to bear arms
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Pastor says he will not allow guns in Atlanta church, blasts politicians behind bill
  • Hundreds attended Deal's signing ceremony, some openly carrying handguns
  • Law will allow Georgians to carry guns into some bars, churches and government buildings
  • Critics say law takes state "out of mainstream," while proponents call it "meaningful"

Ellijay, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a wide-ranging gun bill into law Wednesday that has critics howling and proponents applauding.

House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports.

GeorgiaCarry, which lobbied for the bill, calls it "meaningful pro-gun legislation," despite it being watered down from the group's perspective. Still, the group has lauded the legislation, which will go into effect July 1. Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the bill, calling it "extremism in action."

Wednesday's signing came at an open-air picnic area along a creek in Ellijay, in northern Georgia. It opened with a prayer, the singing of the national anthem and a recital of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Hundreds of people filled more than 25 picnic tables, while others stood. Many were openly carrying handguns, and some wore National Rifle Association hats and buttons proclaiming, "Stop Gun Control" and "Guns Save Lives."

140224183700-sarah-brady-hedshot-story-bSarah Brady: We must act on gun violence

140115163005-exp-lead-intv-blair-study-mExpert: Mass shootings on the rise

131203185600-tsr-bash-3d-printer-guns-loHouse extends gun law, but is it enough?

131021234337-ac-nv-school-shooting-and-gIs change to gun laws possible?

The bill, which easily navigated the state Legislature -- by a 112-58 vote in the House and a 37-18 tally in the Senate -- also earned the support of Democratic state Sen. Jason Carter, the grandson of ex-President Jimmy Carter and a 2014 gubernatorial candidate.

Calling it "a great day to reaffirm our liberties," Deal said the law allows residents to protect their families and expands the list of places where they can legally carry firearms, while allowing certain property owners, namely churches and bars, to make judgments on whether they want worshippers and patrons carrying guns.

"The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should be at the forefront of our minds," Deal said while touting his NRA endorsement for governor and "A" rating during his 17 years in Congress.

The governor said the law "will protect the constitutional rights of Georgians who have gone through a background check to legally obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License.

"Roughly 500,000 Georgia citizens have a permit of this kind, which is approximately 5 percent of our population. License holders have passed background checks and are in good standing with the law. This law gives added protections to those who have played by the rules -- and who can protect themselves and others from those who don't play by the rules."

Americans for Responsible Solutions opposed the original bill that GeorgiaCarry pushed for, and while the group is pleased that the version Deal signed Wednesday doesn't allow guns on college campuses or in churches, except in certain cases, it feels the legislation "takes Georgia out of the mainstream."

"Among its many extreme provisions, it allows guns in TSA lines at the country's busiest airport, forces community school boards into bitter, divisive debates about whether they should allow guns in their children's classrooms, and broadens the conceal carry eligibility to people who have previously committed crimes with guns," said Pia Carusone, the group's senior adviser.

"So it is no surprise that while being trumpeted by the NRA as the 'most comprehensive' gun bill in state history, the legislation ... was opposed by Georgia law enforcement, county commissioners, municipal leaders, and the Transportation Security Administration for its potentially harmful impact on Georgians' safety."

While the bill says no one is allowed to carry a firearm past an airport's security screening checkpoint, it allows guns in other areas, including "an airport drive, general parking area, walkway, or shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoint."

TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein would not say how the law might affect its agents at Georgia airports, particularly Atlanta's, the world's busiest, but he said, "Individuals who bring firearms to security checkpoints are referred to law enforcement and are subject to criminal penalties. However, TSA has the ability to impose a civil penalty."

Another provision of the new law allows firearms into any government building that is open for business and doesn't have security personnel restricting access or screening visitors.

Some critics have said it was hypocritical to allow guns in so many places but not the state Capitol. Deal addressed that perception in a question from reporters, saying the Capitol fell under a wider statewide provision that affects many government buildings, and it's "a uniform carved-out area all across our state."

The law also allows Georgians to carry guns into bars and churches as long as the property owner hasn't banned them. Anyone bringing a gun into a church that prohibits them won't be arrested but could pay a fine up to $100, the law says.

New York church to give away AR-15 semi-automatic rifle

One church that won't be allowing parishioners to carry weapons is Atlanta's historic Ebenezer Baptist Church, which remembers well the 1974 shooting deaths of a deacon and Alberta Williams King, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s mother, in its sanctuary.

The Rev. Raphael Warnock, the church's senior pastor, said a deranged man who had access to guns but not health care was behind that shooting, a circumstance that still resonates today. The shooting would have been even more tragic "had everyone been packing that day," Warnock said.

"The message of today's bill signing is very clear: Our politicians, tragically, are owned by the gun lobby," he said. "No one asked for this bill but the gun lobby, and still, we're here. ... We will remind them in November that they work for the people."

Most churches throughout the state are focused on social issues, such as better health care and education, Warnock said.

"I don't know of a single pastor in the state of Georgia who has been lobbying to have guns brought into their churches," he said. "When we say pass the peace, we mean P-E-A-C-E, not the P-I-E-C-E."

The law will also allow the carrying of firearms by any "duly authorized official of a public or private elementary or secondary school or a public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of post-secondary education or a local board of education."

Deal also touted how HB60 would allow soldiers to obtain a carry license at age 18 if they've completed basic training and are either actively serving or have been honorably discharged.

"If they're old enough to hold a gun in defense of our liberties, then they're old enough to hold a gun, and they shouldn't have to wait until they're 21."

Other notable provisions of the law allow hunters to use silencers and suppressors when the owner of the property where they're hunting is aware they're using such a device; permit gun owners who have had their licenses revoked to apply for a new license after three years; restrict access for anyone whom a court has deemed mentally incompetent or insane, or anyone involuntary committed to a mental institution; and forbid police officers who see a resident carrying a gun to ask for their permit unless they're committing a crime.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Everyone thinks they pass these laws so that people will come in and slaughter everyone.  That's an idiotic way of thinking.  Now this means that the good guys can be armed in those places, because the ones wishing to do harm DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW.  It's almost like these people don't understand the concept of criminality. 

• Upvote 7

Everyone thinks they pass these laws so that people will come in and slaughter everyone.  That's an idiotic way of thinking.  Now this means that the good guys can be armed in those places, because the ones wishing to do harm DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW.  It's almost like these people don't understand the concept of criminality. 

You have accurately captured the mind of a criminal. If they intend to do harm to someone through the use of a weapon, what does it matter breaking one more law (such as a gun law)? The only way to stop a criminal "dead" in their tracks is to give normal, law abiding citizens the option of taking them out.

Ready...Aim...FIRE!!!

Indy

Edited by Indraman
  • Upvote 4

I'm guessing the laws read this way because if people went to bars and drank losing  inhibition over  expressing what they really thought about politicians..... then its probably wise they can't show up with their guns on the capitol steps...... Georgia politicians aren't likely to appreciate this avenue of leaving office prior to the next election.  :D  .

• Upvote 3

why not the same for the bass-tard politicians? Why, isn't their new law good for them too?

You mean you can go in a BAR and get DRUNK wit a gun....but you can't have one in the state capitol

Won't they be safer in the capitol with guns? They say we are safer with them...why not them?

Of course they know people hate their guts, with good reason...but it's still hypocritical

personally, this issue is a tough one. I understand why people want to carry. I have a handgun. I don't carry it everywhere.

I still think everyone running around with a gun...is asking for trouble

OK Corral anyone? The undertaker wins...

Edited by AmericaInc

I'm guessing the laws read this way because if people went to bars and drank losing  inhibition over  expressing what they really thought about politicians..... then its probably wise they can't show up with their guns on the capitol steps...... Georgia politicians aren't likely to appreciate this avenue of leaving office prior to the next election.  :D  .

LOL. I think people are missing the point. You can only carry a weapon into a state building that does not have a metal detector, or a school does not have a resource officer, etc. The laws intent is to give the good guys an equal playing field with the bad guys. It sounds germane, but do you really think the criminals will turn in their weapons if a law is passed banning guns? That is why they are called criminals.  If you cannot defend yourself you are a victim. There has been no documented report, where a person with a carry permit has ever killed anyone except in self defense. Quit making it easy for the bad guys.

• Upvote 3

LOL. I think people are missing the point. You can only carry a weapon into a state building that does not have a metal detector, or a school does not have a resource officer, etc. The laws intent is to give the good guys an equal playing field with the bad guys. It sounds germane, but do you really think the criminals will turn in their weapons if a law is passed banning guns? That is why they are called criminals.  If you cannot defend yourself you are a victim. There has been no documented report, where a person with a carry permit has ever killed anyone except in self defense. Quit making it easy for the bad guys.

the guy in the theater last year? He was carrying and he killed out of anger the father of a young girl

Plenty of other instances. When people get angry and carry...it goes from a fistfight to ruining lives.

why not the same for the bass-tard politicians? Why, isn't their new law good for them too?

You mean you can go in a BAR and get DRUNK wit a gun....but you can't have one in the state capitol

Won't they be safer in the capitol with guns? They say we are safer with them...why not them?

Of course they know people hate their guts, with good reason...but it's still hypocritical

personally, this issue is a tough one. I understand why people want to carry. I have a handgun. I don't carry it everywhere.

I still think everyone running around with a gun...is asking for trouble

OK Corral anyone? The undertaker wins...

Wow There is no way professor that you can possibly actually in any way be teaching the youth of america. 

Sometimes the things you say in print comes out like you really are not a professor and are yanking our chain when you say you are.

You CANNOT in ANY state in the union consume alcohol while carrying your piece.  PERIOD. !!!!!

Yes you can go into a bar with your gun and have a coke. or a iced tea.  The minute you have a beer you are in violation of your permit.  

They are not saying you can drink and carry only that you can be in a place where they serve alcohol and not be in violation.

Even in the wild west all guns were check at the door outside a court room  it has alway been that way. 

So the idea that this is something new and hypocritical is silly. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Shooters are smarter than you would think.  They know they stand a better chance of killing more victims in a "gun free zone".  How often does a crazed gunman shoot up a police station?  Bet you won't have a Collinbine or Aurora in Georgia.  As so many of our rights are infringed upon it's a breath of fresh air to see a state take this stand.

• Upvote 1

CHICAGO HAS CONCEALED CARRY, LOWEST MURDER RATE IN 56 YEARS

The first quarter of 2014 was a quarter of firsts for Chicago: it was the first time citizens with a concealed carry handgun permit (CCH) were able to carry handguns for self-defense and the first time since 1958 that the city's murder rate has been this low.

Police began accepting applications for CCHs in January, and CBS Chicago reported that the permits began to be mailed to approved applicants in February.

At the same time, Chicago's ABC 7 reports that "the first three months of 2014 saw 6 fewer murders than the same time frame in 2013... and 55 fewer murders than 2012."

There were "90 fewer shootings and 119 fewer shooting victims" compared to the same time in 2013 and "222 fewer shootings and 292 fewer shooting victims" than the first quarter of 2012.

Overall, "crime is down 25 percent from last year." 

http://www.breitbart.com/Columnists/AWR-Hawkins

• Upvote 1

That's what I was going to say too

The Capitol building has armed guards

If they designate a place where you can't carry a weapon this is where these morons go on shooting sprees

It doesn't mean anyone will even carry into a bar but the killers don't know that

It just gives the moron killers less places where they know before hand everyone will be unarmed to choose to go on shooting sprees

I don't know why anyone is against it

Just pretending your armed helps sometimes

Edited by dontlop
  • Upvote 1

No Charges Filed Against Reno Man In Winnemucca Shootings

Winnemucca Police Chief Bob Davidson says the violence erupted around 2:30 A.M. Sunday when a man entered the crowded Players Bar and Grill. He fatally shot two brothers, 20-year-old Jose Torres and his 19-year-old brother, Margarito. The shooter was later identified as 30 year old Ernesto Villagomez. All three were from Winnemucca.

According to witnesses, Villagomez at some point stopped to reload his high-capacity handgun and began shooting again when he was shot and killed by another patron - a 48-year-old Reno man who had a valid concealed weapons permit.

The Reno man was initially taken into custody as a person of interest, but later released after Humboldt County District Attorney Russell Smith determined the shooting was justifiable homicide.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/19251374.html

Most of the people who I know and who are CC did not get the permit to be "billy bad a$$"

They applied for it because they have a valid concern for their own peace of mind to not be a victim!

In this world you MUST cover your own a$$! Just because you can use deadly force does not mean you should!

When I received my CC permit I also bought CC insurance. CCW safe .com.

It is group of lawyers and retired investigators in Oklahoma City. $100 a year and if I am involved in a use of force incident

My legal defense bills are already paid!

Ask the guy who stood his ground in Florida just how broke are you?

Carrying while intoxicated? What moron would do that?

Good common sense plus the ability to instantly "bite back"

If you carry do not put your head up your a$$

That is my not at all humble opinion.

• Upvote 3

What are the intentions of the rest of the CC people you know?.........It only takes one bad apple to spoil it for everyone.  It's a legitimate question......not trying to cause a ruckus.   :peace: 

GO RV, and NO BV

:rodeo:

• Upvote 1

If someone gets drunk and pulls his weapon he may end up the victim

Drunk not drunk what's the differance as to why someone should carry a weapon for self defense if the shooter is drunk or sober if they pull their weapon it doesn't matter if they are drunk or sober

Those who choose to arm themselves are acting responsibly

The drunk guy isn't

If someone is getting drunk in a bar he knows its illegal

Its on him

You can't say well I'm not going to protect myself from insane people because some guy might get drunk and shoot someone

Everyone has god given rights to defend themselves

We don't need some liberal to pretend he's better than god like they do for other perversions

I don't follow liberals

Their are always a few dumba$$ in a class.

They usually don't pass the "test" anyway.

I believe my instructor shared ancestors with great Carnac ;)

3 did not make it out of my group. They passed written and not so well on the fire test.

I am glad they were not approved.

P.s. I am open to all your questions shabs.

We see eye to eye on some things not so much on others. :)

Edited by Muleslayer

I am trippin' out. Who would have thought that so many other states are more "gun friendly" than the great state of Texas?

I almost want to move to Oklahoma so that I can openly wear my weapon on my belt. This concealed carry is great, but I would rather wear my holster outside my pants! LOL

If someone gets drunk and pulls his weapon he may end up the victim

Drunk not drunk what's the differance as to why someone should carry a weapon for self defense if the shooter is drunk or sober if they pull their weapon it doesn't matter if they are drunk or sober

Those who choose to arm themselves are acting responsibly

The drunk guy isn't

If someone is getting drunk in a bar he knows its illegal

Its on him

You can't say well I'm not going to protect myself from insane people because some guy might get drunk and shoot someone

Everyone has god given rights to defend themselves

We don't need some liberal to pretend he's better than god like they do for other perversions

I don't follow liberals

you don't have to follow anyone. Esp liberals. Just follow your own common sense.

Do you really think it's a good idea to have guns everywhere, even in bars where people are drunk?

I teach. Should I carry a gun in my classes? Shoot one of my students if they look like they might attack me over a bad grade I give them? Should I carry my gun out in the open as I teach?

Must we carry guns into CHURCH? I am sure God will forgive us our fears...sheesh.

There is no arguing common sense with some...conservatives

Much ado about nothing.

The reason you can't carry in the State Capitol is because the law just signed clearly states that firearms are NOT allowed when there are already security measures in place...i.e. metal detectors, security guards, etc.

that's the stated law

that is not the real reason

we all know what the real reason is - the capitol is where the real criminals are