Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

VIDEO: Are Animals Evacuating Yellowstone National Park?

Markinsa

VIDEO: Are Animals Evacuating Yellowstone National Park?

In the recent weeks, we have discussed unusual activity in regards to the super volcano at Yellowstone. Some folks have reported elevated levels of seismic activity in the area and we have seen some earthquake activity in the United States and around the world. While most experts will say we are over due for Yellowstone to erupt, it would definitely be a catastrophe if it were to occur. We do not have the infrastructure to handle such an event and thus the devastation would be nothing we have ever seen.

The only thing we can do is prepare the best we can and watch for the signs that this super volcano may erupt. We feel it is our responsibility to help look for this information and pass it along to you. It is up to you on what you do with it. With that being said, we found a video posted on March 20th by someone driving through Yellowstone, of Bison making a rapid exit from the direction of the volcano. I don’t have a clue on if this is normal behavior for Bison, but I do know that animals can sense danger. Please take a look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSPrHXvyws&feature=player_embedded

I agree there is much to be said for this video, you have to come up with your opinion on it. Share this with others so we can get input on it as well. Could it be a warning to us, or just Bison doing what Bison are supposed to do. You be the judge.

• Upvote 3

Let's hope not, if that did happen to blow it would take most of the planet with it.  The last eruption blew crap clear over here to MN up into Canada down to Arizona and all the way out into the Pacific.  The ash cloud in the atmosphere would trigger a nuclear winter pretty much worldwide, covering stuff with ash and ruining pretty much everything, plants, animals, the soil,etc.  Vehicles become pretty much useless as the ash plugs up pretty much anything sucking air including us and is highly caustic.  I guess the only plus side would be ending all this global warming BS talk from the liberals!

Animals are much more sensitive to this stuff, I can't remember which area it was but the elephants got the hell out of there when a tsunami was coming in, guess people should have followed them to high ground.  Dogs did the same thing.

Animals in Yellowstone pretty much travel thru the park on a lot of the roads because it's easier walking, who knows I guess.  Was planning a road trip there this summer with the family.........................Hey kids look at this giant hole in the ground where Yellowstone used to be!  <_<

"2012" is a pretty good movie that has some Yellowstone caldera stuff in it if your bored!!  :twothumbs: 

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 2

On a side note, who ever shot this really didn't know what the caldera is, it's not like Diamond head on Oahu, where you can say look kids there's an extinct volcano.  The caldera takes up most of the park you wouldn't even know if you were near it as your driving thru it pretty much the whole time.  IF animals were leaving they'd have to leave the park completely not just the one mountain peak in the background of the video.  Most likely they were spooked by wolves, bear are usually still hibernating, maybe a cougar, but most likely a wolf pack or maybe they are liberal bison and just want to follow their leader over a cliff!  :lmao: 

Not that I don't believe they'd know long before we did something was up, but I doubt if this is that, and if it were scientists and the government sure as heck aren't going to tell us anything prior as it would cause a huge panic (complete breakdown) and they can' t even get the weather right on a daily basis!  So that being said, if you are in that area and your beer starts to foam up while it's sitting there on it's own from the vibrations, well................it's been good to know ya!! :twothumbs: 

YellowstoneCalderaSmithGraphic.jpg

Let's hope not, if that did happen to blow it would take most of the planet with it.  The last eruption blew crap clear over here to MN up into Canada down to Arizona and all the way out into the Pacific.  The ash cloud in the atmosphere would trigger a nuclear winter pretty much worldwide, covering stuff with ash and ruining pretty much everything, plants, animals, the soil,etc.  Vehicles become pretty much useless as the ash plugs up pretty much anything sucking air including us and is highly caustic.  I guess the only plus side would be ending all this global warming BS talk from the liberals!

Animals are much more sensitive to this stuff, I can't remember which area it was but the elephants got the hell out of there when a tsunami was coming in, guess people should have followed them to high ground.  Dogs did the same thing.

Animals in Yellowstone pretty much travel thru the park on a lot of the roads because it's easier walking, who knows I guess.  Was planning a road trip there this summer with the family.........................Hey kids look at this giant hole in the ground where Yellowstone used to be!  <_<

"2012" is a pretty good movie that has some Yellowstone caldera stuff in it if your bored!!  :twothumbs: 

we have the gloom and doom again...with the usual stab at liberals. 

Markinsa, interesting story here. I trust the animals. They usually know when something dangerous is going to happen. It makes us wonder, for sure. The geologists cited in the Geographic feature I read on the super volcano maintain that the bedrock layer currently over its center is too deep and thick to allow a cataclysmic eruption...but they can be wrong.  

Whether this is true or not? 

Science Journal: No need for panic over Yellowstone quakes

picture-108.jpg

•  
Submitted by John Leacock on April 2, 2014 - 5:36pmScience Journal

Does a recent outbreak of earthquakes point to an awakening super volcano? Not really, experts say.

Bloggers have posted photos of bison fleeing Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, in droves. The bloggers say this is further evidence that the big one is getting ready to go off there. That and the recent earthquakes.

Yellowstone National Park is home to a giant volcanic crater, a caldera. And recently it's been the home of hundreds of earthquakes, from 4.8 magnitude down.

The last major eruption in the park is thought to have happened around 640,000 years ago and sent ash across the entire North America, said an article in Epoch Times online.

The article also said that "a series of smaller quakes have hit the region over the past few weeks, and those quakes have been linked to the recent 5.1 magnitude quake (and aftershocks) that hit in the Los Angeles region."

But scientists say numerous small quakes aren't unusual in the area and thus are not an indication that the caldera is readying to blow.

"The United States Geological Service’s Yellowstone Observatory emphasized in a February bulletin that earthquake activity in and around Yellowstone is normal, because between 1,000 and 3,000 typically occur each year."

Also, the structure of the caldera makes a big one unlikely, the United States Geological Service is quoted as saying. 

" ... The caldera’s interior is largely covered by rhyolites, most erupted in the past 160,000 years. Large hydrothermal (steam)-explosion craters formed in the past 14,000 years are located near Yellowstone Lake and in major geyser basins.

“Any renewed volcanic activity at Yellowstone would most likely take the form of such mainly nonexplosive lava eruptions. An eruption of lava could cause widespread havoc in the park, including fires and the loss of roads and facilities, but more distant areas would probably remain largely unaffected.”

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400564/john-leacock/2014-04-02/science-journal-no-need-panic-over-yellowstone-quakes

Edited by Butifldrm

Yellowstone Animals Fleeing Park
volcano.jpg
Claim:   Animals are fleeing Yellowstone Park, an indicator that a supervolcano eruption is imminent. 

content-divider.gifred.gifFALSE content-divider.gif
Example:   [Collected via Facebook, April 2014] 

I saw on facebook that animals are leaving Yellowstone in record numbers. The article related it to a super volcano erupting.

Origins:   On 30 March 2014, Wyoming's Yellowstone Park was struck a 4.8 magnitude quake, the most powerful earthquake to hit that area since 1980. In conjunction with that earthquake, numerous videos were posted online showing animals such as buffalo seemingly "running for their lives" to leave the park: 

This phenomenon of apparently fleeing animals has been claimed by many observers as a sign foretelling the imminent eruption of Yellowstone's "supervolcano":
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: Could the Supervolcano which has been dormant for the past 650,000 years be ready to erupt again? 

If you listen to some animal experts, that answer is a definitive "yes". 

Recall, if you will, the tsunami in late 2006. Do you remember reports that animals were escaping and running for higher ground hours before the waves hit? This mass animal evacuation brought into light the instinct which biologists have known about for years which seems to tell animals when disaster is about to strike. 

At Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, there is a mass animal exodus underway. Miles of buffalo can be seen running frantically from the Northwest end of the park. They are even running down roads. Elk are also evacuating at an astounding rate. Smaller animals such as rabbits and squirrels are also fleeing Yellowstone.
However, the claim that animals exhibit behaviors indicative of imminent natural disasters such as earthquakes is not one that has been well documented much beyond anecdote, and many researchers remain skeptical of that notion:
Researchers are skeptical. After years of study, the U.S. Geological Survey has this to say: "Changes in animal behavior cannot be used to predict earthquakes. Even though there have been documented cases of unusual animal behavior prior to earthquakes, a reproducible connection between a specific behavior and the occurrence of an earthquake has not been made. Animals change their behavior for many reasons and given that an earthquake can shake millions of people, it is likely that a few of their pets will, by chance, be acting strangely before an earthquake." 

What about other animal trends? In NATURE's Can Animals Predict Disaster?, for instance, one geologist 

says he sees an increasing number of missing pets documented in the local classified ads just before an earthquake strikes in California. He, in fact, predicted the famous San Francisco earthquake of 1989. The theory is that the animals are fleeing the impending quake. 

Again, other scientists doubt this. USGS scientists, for instance, say even simple science fair projects will show little statistical association. 

Similarly, scientists are skeptical that any special "sixth sense" helped animals survive the great tsunami that swept the Indian Ocean in 2004. After the wave, people reported seeing animals fleeing to forests on high ground and finding few bodies of dead animals. But scientists note that little hard data exists, and that many animals may have survived simply because they are strong swimmers or able to scamper up trees. 

We should be careful not to give animals super-powers, says Whit Gibbons, an ecologist at the University of Georgia. "I always like stories of animals outsmarting humans, [but] I really don't think animals have any special powers beyond those that help them in their daily lives," writes Gibbons. "I do not doubt that many animals detect certain natural signals, such as the early tremblings of an earthquake, long before humans. This means they have opportunity to react before we can. But to think they are reacting any differently from someone who runs for an exit at a shout of 'fire' is to give wildlife more credit than is deserved."
The fact is that there's no real evidence animals are actually "fleeing" Yellowstone Park (or any particular area of it): Paved roads such as the one shown in the video embedded above make good migration routes for large animals such as bison in search of food or breeding grounds or the like, and those animals can typically be seen exhibiting similar behaviors in most years, earthquakes or no earthquakes — but few people pay attention to such animal movements when there are no other portents of disaster for them to point to. What these videos don't document, which would be much more indicative of animals predicting an upcoming natural disaster, would be multiple species all heading directly away from the same area within the park. 

As Al Nash, chief of public affairs for Yellowstone, explained in a rumor control video on this subject:
We do have bison, elk and other animals that have moved outside the park recently, but they're doing that because it's the depth of winter, food is a little hard to find in places inside Yellowstone, and they tend to migrate at this time of the winter outside the park to lower elevations where they think there might be something to eat that's easier to get at. When the snow melts off and things start to green up, those very same animals will walk right back into the park.
As well, geologists generally emphasize that there is no long-predictability to the recurrence of volcanic eruptions, and the Yellowstone Caldera may not erupt again for many, many years — possibly more than a million years from now:
The supervolcano — which was found last year to be 2.5 times larger than previously thought — has not erupted in over 640,000 years, leaving some to speculate that a blast is overdue. If and when it erupts again, the volcano could potentially spew ash over large swathes of North America and cause trouble around the entire planet. 

Seismologists with the University of Utah emphasized that the recent quake doesn't signal an impending eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano, also known as the Yellowstone Caldera. 

Most researchers agree that the Yellowstone supervolcano will erupt again, including Ilya Bindeman, an associate professor of geological sciences at the University of Oregon. However, Bindeman says he doesn't think that this kind of eruption will happen anytime soon. He says it won't happen for at least another million years. 

"Our research of the pattern of such volcanism in two older, 'complete' caldera clusters in the wake of Yellowstone allows a prognosis that Yellowstone is on a dying cycle, rather than on a ramping up cycle," he says.
The U.S. Geological Service (USGS) also notes in the volcano section of their web site that the Yellowstone Caldera is not "overdue" for an eruption (as many have claimed), and although it could erupt again someday, there are currently no "signs of activity that suggest an eruption is imminent":
Q: Is it true that the next caldera-forming eruption of Yellowstone is overdue? 

A: No. First of all, one cannot present recurrence intervals based on only two values. It would be statistically meaningless. But for those who insist ... let's do the arithmetic. The three eruptions occurred 2.1 million, 1.3 million and 0.64 million years ago. The two intervals are thus 0.8 and 0.66 million years, averaging to a 0.73 million-year interval. Again, the last eruption was 0.64 million years ago, implying that we are still about 90,000 years away from the time when we might consider calling Yellowstone overdue for another caldera-forming eruption. Nevertheless, we cannot discount the possibility of another such eruption occurring some time in the future, given Yellowstone's volcanic history and the continued presence of magma beneath the Yellowstone caldera. 

Q: When will Yellowstone erupt again? 

A: We do not know. Future volcanic eruptions could occur within or near Yellowstone National Park for the simple reason that the area has a long volcanic history and because there is hot and molten rock, or magma, beneath the caldera now. Yellowstone is monitored for signs of volcanic activity by YVO [Yellowstone Volcano Observatory] scientists who detect earthquakes using seismographs and ground motion using GPS (Global Positioning System). YVO has not detected signs of activity that suggest an eruption is imminent. The crust of North America continuously moves southwest over the Yellowstone hotspot as the Earth's crust stretches above it, promoting the ascent of heat and molten rock. These processes produce basaltic magmas within the Earth's mantle, which rise into the overlying crust and continue to heat the rocks beneath Yellowstone, maintaining and possibly adding to the rhyolite magma in the crust above. 

Yellowstone's 2-million-year history of volcanism, the copious amount of heat that still flows from the ground, the frequent earthquakes, and the repeated uplift and subsidence of the caldera floor also testify to the continuity of magmatic processes beneath Yellowstone and point to the possibility of future volcanism and earthquake activity.
The section of the National Park Service's (NPS) web site devoted to volcanoes within Yellowstone Park also assers that no evidence indicates an eruption of the Yellowstone Volcano is imminent:
Q: How imminent is an eruption of the Yellowstone Volcano? 

A: There is no evidence that a catastrophic eruption at Yellowstone National Park (YNP) is imminent. Current geologic activity at Yellowstone has remained relatively constant since earth scientists first started monitoring some 30 years ago. Though another caldera-forming eruption is theoretically possible, it is very unlikely to occur in the next thousand or even 10,000 years. 

The most likely activity would be lava flows such as those that occurred after the last major eruption. Such a lava flow would ooze slowly over months and years, allowing plenty of time for park managers to evaluate the situation and protect people. No scientific evidence indicates such a lava flow will occur soon.
Last updated:   3 April 2014 
  • Downvote 1

we have the gloom and doom again...with the usual stab at liberals. 

Markinsa, interesting story here. I trust the animals. They usually know when something dangerous is going to happen. It makes us wonder, for sure. The geologists cited in the Geographic feature I read on the super volcano maintain that the bedrock layer currently over its center is too deep and thick to allow a cataclysmic eruption...but they can be wrong.  

Read my second post that's a better stab Hame!!  :twothumbs: You must have missed the part where I have serious doubts anything is going to happen anytime soon, I did say if it did it would be bad enough...............well none of us would have to worry about it for very long!! 

You apparently put all your stock into SNOPES, I'm smarter then that since the "truth" site continuously covers up for Obama, being owned by Soros and all, and has been caught in the act.  

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

I grew up just outside the Park, and my dad was appointed to the Park Board for years.... If I sent this to my sister or anyone else I knew in Montana, I'd be laughed out of the next family reunion this summer... and probably the next 10 summers, and never live it down.... I've got lots of video of buffalo running down the road.... its easier then running through the hills over rough terrain.... They come up to the car all the time... the herds will fill the roads and you have to drive like 5 miles an hour till they cut off and head out into the field... We go to boiling river all the time in the winter, and that's when you really see them on the road, usually foraging for food... Ever see cows take off running in a group toward water or food... (or whatever they are running to in the middle of the afternoon when they take off running?)_

Looks like regular normal buffalo movement in the Park... maybe stepping a bit faster than you would typically see....

And like I think it was DD6 said... the Caldera is HUGE... When you are in that area, you are driving in the middle of it for the entire trip... and the only way you'd know, is if you know where to look for the edges, which are not always visible its so huge.... (or the signs every now and then).... Its not just a peak on some mountain..... its a HUGE crater/ bowl you drive around in ... And there is no part of it smoking in some kind of pre eruption way.... (that would be like a huge pot boiling, not a mountain peak)...

And like DD6 said... what frickin infra structure????? If that thing blew we'd need another planet.... cause that event  would be a world wide event of destruction.... both direct and indirect.... engulfing the whole planet.... And I agree with the group that doesn't see it erupting ..... there are many other far more active and superficial (in terms of depth)  areas to relieve that pressure.... I'd be sweating Madrid, New Mexico and San Andreas before the Caldera...

• Upvote 2

I grew up just outside the Park, and my dad was appointed to the Park Board for years.... If I sent this to my sister or anyone else I knew in Montana, I'd be laughed out of the next family reunion this summer... and probably the next 10 summers, and never live it down.... I've got lots of video of buffalo running down the road.... its easier then running through the hills over rough terrain.... They come up to the car all the time... the herds will fill the roads and you have to drive like 5 miles an hour till they cut off and head out into the field... We go to boiling river all the time in the winter, and that's when you really see them on the road, usually foraging for food... Ever see cows take off running in a group toward water or food... (or whatever they are running to in the middle of the afternoon when they take off running?)_

Looks like regular normal buffalo movement in the Park... maybe stepping a bit faster than you would typically see....

And like I think it was DD6 said... the Caldera is HUGE... When you are in that area, you are driving in the middle of it for the entire trip... and the only way you'd know, is if you know where to look for the edges, which are not always visible its so huge.... (or the signs every now and then).... Its not just a peak on some mountain..... its a HUGE crater/ bowl you drive around in ... And there is no part of it smoking in some kind of pre eruption way.... (that would be like a huge pot boiling, not a mountain peak)...

And like DD6 said... what frickin infra structure????? If that thing blew we'd need another planet.... cause that event  would be a world wide event of destruction.... both direct and indirect.... engulfing the whole planet.... And I agree with the group that doesn't see it erupting ..... there are many other far more active and superficial (in terms of depth)  areas to relieve that pressure.... I'd be sweating Madrid, New Mexico and San Andreas before the Caldera...

Spot on Rayzur!! :twothumbs:   Not to mention any monster quakes or eruptions could and most likely would trigger all the rest of them to do the same thing.  Third rock from the sun!!! :eyebrows: 

• Upvote 1

I'm with Rayzur.  I've been through Yellowstone a lot since I live about 3 hours away.  I also worked for a number of summers at the National Bison Range near Arlee, MT (I grew up on a ranch in Moiese - 2 miles from the gates of the National Bison Range).  There are just times when - for no apparent reason - a buffalo herd will just take off at a dead run.  One animal gets spooked by something, and they all react. We actually used that to our advantage every year when we did a roundup for counting and vaccinations. A few riders on horseback with some gunny sacks or canvas can spook a whole herd and get them headed in the right direction. Also - just a little buffalo trivia.  If they can't see through it, they won't try to run through it. We used a canvas fence  held up with some steel fence posts to funnel them into holding pens.

On a side note, I'm not in the least worried about Yellowstone erupting.  If it does, I'm basically on the edge of the primary blast radius if it's as large as they think it might be. At least I won't have to worry about surviving the ash and climate problems. *lol*

• Upvote 2