Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How can "smart" people be so F'in stupid?

pluMmet

I love what you wrote PluMmet but their is no such thing as Cognitive Dissonance in your own words.

The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words. Philip K. D-ick

Only what someone thinks what disbelief is or belief is.or should be.or should'nt be.

Given the time I CAN MAKE ANYTHING happen.

Ever seen the weather man use these words: Upper level low? But their is no Lower level high.How can this be?

Theory of relativity doesnt work for the weather people? IT HAS TOO.Because for every action their is a opposite

and equal reaction PERIOD.................!

I only used God as a example as what to believe or not to believe.

Our own DNA is the smallest microprocessor in the world as seen so I know that evolution didnt happen.

plus to many time gaps and evolution would not just stop it would have continued until the ugly.

If you are going to write a book dont make it a fictional book or I wont read it.Its easy to see I am not a 

english major but I do have a PHD in engineering from MIT.Sometimes folks use huge words to make it seem

that they are smart and maybe they are Who's to say.It just shows that they have read a ton of books like myself.

But in the same sense who's to say that the fictional cant come true.

Just like my Diode's they put a white stripe on it so the negative can only flow one way but I can make it flow any way

I want it to because of amperage yeah it might blow up but I made it do it anyway.

You see PluMmet I am a old man kinda stuck in his ways and I believe in the impossible for a reason

because man will do it because you say he cant.The old Phrase "you cant do it" Oh Yeah! watch me!

You saw my favorite phrase at the start of my last post:

"Cant never could do anything but CAN always could" I think I coined this phrase myself years ago 

but who can own the english language I say.Song writers think they own words because they wrote them

but what about early man without a patent process.stolen words I say.But they own them anyways.

Yep I am a very negative person hardheaded in every sense of the meaning with good reason.Yet everytime

someone does something stupid it becomes a liberal way of thinking but here I am a liberal with a brain why you ask

because it is not the norm of things why be the same as who? I know right from wrong because you can feel it when

you do it.How did I know Obama was going to destroy this country I didnt but he didnt do it all by himself

he had humans before him and before them that did things to destroy.You see your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.

Here's a good argument just watch this response: WE are all HEBREWS each and every one of us 

and you better think real hard before you respond to this and then I will answer WHY we are.

The hate will come out on this topic.But we will stay on the topic of this non existing Cognitive Dissonance 

I want you to post the meaning of these two words from the dictionary for all to see PluMmet the main meaning

only! Can you also tell me who put meanings to every word in our language we have today wont be easy

but I think you can do it PlumMet you are smarter than you give yourself credit for.

I like you PluMmet

Peace be with you and everyone!

PG the man who collects boot prints on his rump!

this topic is a hoot! I love it!

I do like how you write thou PluMmet smooth and with good explanations.

I can do anything can you?

Hammer away!

PG PowerGeneration

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hey PG its good to hear from ya.

I would love to add to the conversation .

But I am stupid and dont understand a damm bit of it.

So Im just gonna keep reading and maybe I`ll get it.  :)

This is why I wanted PluMmet to post the meaning of Cognitive Dissonance.

You are not stupid dog53 by any means.Everyone on this forum loves you!

I wished I was as lucky as you in that sense.I am kinda harsh because I only know how to tell it like it is.

Thank You for your kind words I have been in the VA hospital and now I am back home thank God!

They made some adjustments to my meds again so hopefully no more outbursts from my own dummy section!

Rock On! and HAMMER DOWN!

• Upvote 2

People who demand respect for any reason are never to be respected in my book... only being respectful gets you that.

That one sentence perfectly sums the "educational" paradox.

It is what I detest most amongst the "enlightened", the justified bigotry, presumed air of elitism, and denial of one's own humanity.

• Upvote 1

Kinda confused at this one? 

*** Oh Ya @ DirtDogPig: BlattlestroTT Bla'

^   what are you calling me? I didnt cuss you or call you anything only compliments 

I didnt see any user Blattlestro TT Bla' 

Its cool thou Ive been called everything under the sun in my service for my country.

keep the topic going I love it!

@ PG - Maybe your system is blocking the 4 on topic videos on first page, take a look. If you have seen them and still don't understant then I'm not the person you should ask for the definition.

Cognitive Dissonance- definition:

Mental conflict that occurs when beliefs or assumptions are contradicted by new information. The concept was introduced by the psychologist Leon Festinger (1919–89) in the late 1950s. He and later researchers showed that, when confronted with challenging new information, most people seek to preserve their current understanding of the world by rejecting, explaining away, or avoiding the new information or by convincing themselves that no conflict really exists. Cognitive dissonance is nonetheless considered an explanation for attitude change.

I understand what it means PluMmet I was wanting you to add this to your topic post written

in a way by a literature major like yourself that would'nt just call people stupid for their own views

for their ways in a attitude change in a positive or negative result.

I am not bashing you I like this subject of topic because I am stuck in my ways as I have explained.

I am german by the way as labeled by MAN in my countries origin.But I am a Hebrew just like 

everyone else IS according to GOD.When the earth flooded Noah and his family repopulated the earth

so that makes us ALL hebrews no matter what.To simple.Then their is our blood its all the same annointed 

by God any questions? I think Not!

Now if you dont believe the earth was flooded then you can be whatever you want yourself to be

nationality wise in mans mind that is.Our earth had two atmospheres one fell at Gods command

and flooded the earth thats why he said he shall never flood the earth again unless God creates 

another atmosphere for us to SEE it fall.40% oxygen allowed man to live way past 120 years as

they did live.Thats why you see all creatures in amber with their mouths open it wasnt from drowning

it was from the lack of oxygen.Thats why Darwin was stupid in my mind he didnt see the obvious 

and look what they teach our kids today his theory not Gods theory.

Who would you believe?

I am a crazy guy right so dont listen to me I am just a psycho and I am.

its just my honest opinion is all.

Notice NO man has ever lived past 120 years WHY? God said is why.

my applied theory with mega research in this matter.

I cant wait for the new movie Noah just to see if it is explained in this light.

God Bless us all because he is the only one who can bless us ALL.

guess I am sick with cognitive dissonance because no man can prove to me other wise.

I am just weird but in a scary light.

The best selling book of all times is the bible and still no man can discredit it 

is it a fictional book?or a biography I'll let you decide.

PG a man who fights for God and Gods people.

Let me know what your book is called I want to read it hard back of course.

with respect to your thread PluMmet with respect!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

@PG

stu·pid ˈst(y)o͞opid/

adjective adjective: stupid; comparative adjective: stupider; superlative adjective: stupidest

1. lacking intelligence or common sense.

I've used the word Stupid once in the title and once in referring to "people who are not willing to be any better then they are".

You seem upset and are speaking as though you like what I am saying on one hand and are asking me to prove to you that I am intelligent by showing you a "book" that I must have written?

DirtDogpig said:

So I am I stupid YES because I have'nt

invented all of the possibilities of technology and I have'nt found a way to use 100% of my brain.

God bless You All (wait a minute does he exist?) Show me.

I like how you blame a lib only so I'll take the blame then.

learning anything PluMmet?

The hate will come out on this topic.But we will stay on the topic of this non existing Cognitive Dissonance

I want you to post the meaning of these two words from the dictionary for all to see PluMmet the main meaning

only! Can you also tell me who put meanings to every word in our language we have today wont be easy

but I think you can do it PlumMet you are smarter than you give yourself credit for.

Let me know what your book is called I want to read it hard back of course.

It looks to me that you are looking to take offence in what I have written. If you feel these two times I used that word describe you than that is a decision you have made and you would need to think about why you think that about yourself.

I can't help you.

I can have fun with it though...

FYI BlattlestroTT Bla' means nothing.

I simple wrote it to see how you would take it as I was having a hard time understanding where you are coming from so I wanted to see what you would think this benign thing meant.

Apparently you decided it was an insult. I don't know why all this offends you and is interesting to you at the same time?

I have yet to write a book other then a children’s book I have written in my spare time but after RV I hope to publish that book and have a stab at a proper book that is on topic.

peace

This thread is confusing me, is the argument whether Cognitive Dissonance exists?  I am a pretty simple person so my view is broken down like this:

As a youngster, you are told certain "truths" by your parents or those that raised you and you trusted without question.  So they tell you, "don't cross your eyes, they'll eventually stick like that", "don't swallow your gum, it takes 7 years to digest", something like that.  You believe it, you have no reason not to.  It is the truth, until later when some kid laughs at you on the playground for believing something so stupid.  Then you have to stop and think about what you thought you knew, because now, you have conflict in your belief/knowledge system.  Maybe ask the teacher who confirms that these were just old wives tales, later do a little research on your own just to be sure.   When all the information and facts say it doesn't take seven years to digest gum, you either have to believe and accept it or continue in your belief dismissing all proof and facts because your truth is the only truth but somewhat confused because you know, stupid nagging facts,  and continously seek confirmation supporting your gum theory.  

Now while the above may be oversimplified, apply that to something more abstract like religion.  Two young people in their teens raised in different parts of the world.  One being told his parent's and society's absolute truth of the Koran while the other youngster is taught the absolute truth of the Bible.  One of them has to have a faulty belief system, some will say they both do.  But when you are raised to believe it is the truth and the consequences of doubting or questioning can be extreme, you can see where conflicts both mental and physical begin.  

Edited by WorkerBee

EXCELLENT THREAD !! I dont comment much anymore becasue of this exact issue , this does explain alot .Im very concerned though on the people who dont understand what this means . Because if most dont get this then im not very optimistic about the future of this country , and how the feds are doing this to us rite now to keep us undercontrol and asleep to whats really going on .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Some one sent me a pm and I just found it. I knew that the title was harsh sounding but I thought it was appropriate.

The person was kind and wished me to further learn on a linked subject and i thank them for their suggestion.

I would like to share with you the body of my response to them:

I have a best friend who is a M.D. and we have been having great discussions for over 20 years. Another great friend who has P.H.D. who is similar. Getting them to learn anything that is not accepted by the masses is like pulling teeth. They run from obvious truths so much it's like trying to catch a squirrel with your hands.

I had a break thru years ago when I learned about Cartesian Doubt and how different that is than Scepticism. I was able to show them they were not using Scepticism as many claim in discussions.

This Cognitive Dissonance has helped out so much now as well. So many times my friends refused to look at information for no reason other then it "could not be true." After pulling teeth it seems(for years sometimes) trying to get the info into their heads so we could have a discussion Cognitive Dissonance kicks in and the learning stops.

I have been dealing with it for years. Now all of a sudden with years of reference to past behavior they are forced to look at themselves in this light that I can throw on it.

All the signs of Cognitive Dissonance are so apparent in my friends they themselves know that they have used it to not see.

Conversations are less now as they mourn their past efforts to not know.

How can "smart" people be so F'in stupid.... I know, I know, pick me (*hand raised.)

So as you can see this is a very real issue I have been dealing with. Not even 2 months ago my friend said "I refuse to believe that is true." after a 3 year conversation culminated in me handing over so much correct information he had no other choice.

Now after forcing him (kindly) to view this CD information he has nothing to say. He knows what he said and has been doing for years.

It's a bit sad but I have not enjoyed these conversations for conversations sake but in a effort to learn the truth and the conversations are it seems done for now as they mull over why they don't want to know.

I don't know if the conversations will ever pick up again but I do feel glad that we reached this point and I know for sure that understanding Cognitive Dissonance is a worthy thing for intelligent people to understand even when it effects them. At least with it's understanding there is a chance you can get thru to them.

• Upvote 1

One question...how did plummet get to be a mod cutting down people like he does.....I thought that Mods kept a watch on such characters

One question....How did plummet get accepted to be a Mod when he berates others like he does....I guess it is signs of the times.

because we have the same little trolls kicking in their 2 cents on every thread on here because their side of the fence is far different trying to spread incorrect information to counter ,truth ,logic and ideas .

For example somebody posting any concerning news , and somebody else countering by saying its not true because the grammar was spelled wrong , not because  they countering facts or anyting .

This would be called ,Cognitive Dissonance

PLUMMET , you have my total support on this thread , this kinda information needed to get out without intrusion .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

PluMmet - Thank you for starting this thread - and a big thanks to Razur  - DirtDogpig - Indraman and all the others for their personal comments - I have just about  exhausted all of my +'s on this one thread - :)

I really enjoyed the videos as they have given me more of a working vocabulary for future reference and conversation as it comes up. I have seen friendships  fade away because of this Cognitive Dissonance - I have seen people banned from forums because of this and  have seen it bring grief and separation in & among families -

Before knowing the terminology and before knowing & understanding the meaning I had a different explanation  - My family called it (me)  gullible and rebellious -- I called it getting out of that tiny, religious (nonspiritual) -  NARROW MINDED - judgmental - biased thinking box - free thinking - and "evolving"

It was tough and even sometimes painful making decisions because for so many years I was told what to think & believe - in school as well as in the home -  I made decisions based on my intelligence, at the time - my knowledge at the time - my understanding at the time , and sometimes  even the emotions at the time helped influence the final say --

I was never taught "how" to think - or was even encouraged to do so   -  Even questioning was almost always punishable - But they could not keep me from daydreaming and questioning in my mind - which  eventually after many years paid off  --

I  think I was very fortunate to have escaped serious stomach issues for those years of struggling  to accept what "IS" and what could possibly be a "different" truth. I did suffer in other ways  though that turned out to be more strengthening 

There will always be  opposing thoughts & beliefs -- there will always be pros & cons - Each individual is responsible for their own truth &  reality -  We all come to it at different times and through different means  -  We all ripen through and by the  time and the experiences

Some folks are just not mentally & emotionally or  even spiritually capable of  accepting what the physical is revealing (right before their own eyes) - and thus - denial - ego & anger  are  their survival tools -

This has been the most interesting thread I have read on this site  - and therefore brought me out of my silence  .. if for no other reason but to give my much deserved appreciation for those that contributed - It definitely has expanded my wisdom   -- UNEEK

• Upvote 1

Hello Rod!! Nice to see you!! I have been here all along.... This is a great thread! Could not hold my silence :)

I have been listening - watching - observing silence - strengthening heart & mind -- pushing up - pushing through - & pushing on  - I had great pictures but the  system turned down every one - even on second and third  options - Oh well  I cannot imagine what the glitch would be - but will let it go as is - :) :)  UNEEK

• Upvote 1

People who demand respect for any reason are never to be respected in my book... only being respectful gets you that.

*** Oh Ya @ DirtDogPig: BlattlestroTT Bla'

IN MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

classic senility 

kick yourself out.

Yeah guys and gals if'in I called a mod stupid I would collect yet another boot print

on my rump out the forum but its ok if they call someone stupid.

I certainly dont see where i insulted you.

NO CLASS AT ALL..........PlumMet your book is going to do the same thing.

Its always good to insult your readers just before you sell a book

you can be my next target for a DDOS  or special ionic cannon 

what could possibly go wrong eh?

watch who you call stupid I can make the above happen "Quick fast and in a hurry" (Major Payne)

I would report you but what good would it do?

The rest of the mods hate me anyway because they cant get rid of me and that

should tell you something about some of my abilities.

I'll just keep eating up user space and I dont like doing that because it cost adam money.

weird isnt it I only have like 2 friends in this forum but I love it anyway's.

4 years here and I hope this is the last year go RV!

God Bless Everyone!

Peace! Plummet Peace! man your weird !

In the book "SON OF HAMAS" the writer (son of one of the founders of Hamas) disses the terms "Peaceful Islamists" and "Radical Islamists."  Why?  Because (according to him) every Muslim from childhood is taught two fundamental principles in almost the same way people teach their kids when young to brush their teeth to keep them from falling out:  1) to convert the "Infidel," (anyone who is not a Muslim) or 2) Kill the Infidel.  Those children who eventually become adults have a basis of reality that these two functions of the only culture they know are truth, factual, and the correct perspective to live their lives based on.  Is this really the truth, is it factual, and correct?  It's their perspective, so there is some justification for agreeing that it's correct.  Obviously to many Muslim people and most non-Muslims on Earth, this is not true, factual, and an incorrect perspective.  

Our reality is pretty much always the truth for each of us.  And many cannot effectively deal with this one fundamental fact we all should understand and embrace:  "Just because I believe something is truth doesn't make or mean it is truth.  And just because I believe something is untruth doesn't make or mean it is untruth."  It's fairly easy for me to force YOU and expect YOU to live using that as your foundation.  But it's pretty tough for me to reconcile in me that it IS correct.

If we could, (in my opinion) there'd be a whole lot less anger, brutality, murder, and war.  Why?  Because we'd all be able to positively respect more the opinions of others and not feel we had the right and/or obligation to force our will on other people, other cultures, and other nations.  Would that be the automatic "cure all" for the World?  No, because there will always be those who refuse to abide by freedom for all.  But I think if we could ever get to the point where at least 2/3'rds of the World's population would embrace this, we'd be able to stamp out a lot of things that eventually destroy societies.

• Upvote 2

That is a great point Big Newby.

I find that the struggle to speak the truth without offending people is The Great Journey of Wisdom.

We try to get along with people which tends to make us either stop speaking or lie about what we think. No change is comfortable and lies provide that.

Telling the truth makes people angry. Learning to speak truth while trying not to offend causes us to get better at communicating and to keep researching what we are talking about in order to do so.

We are all learning and trying to get better and we all make mistakes and a lot of them are unavoidable while we are trying.

Edison found 2000 ways not to make a light bulb. If you are not making mistakes you are not working :)

Lying is a laziness. Some people encourage others to join them in their laziness because it's comfortable for them and they get angry when people are looking for the truth and throw all kinds of accusations at them.

"why are you trying"' "you can't do anything about it." is a laziness that you will often hear from people who don't want to try and are more apt to lie.

With dual statements like the one you mention an active person will look to find how to help people who are in need but a disillusioned person will focus on one of those things while ignoring the other.

I don't think that any dual statement like that should every be told without explaining how one balances the two opposites in order to find answers.

What ever the subject if you convert someone into being knowledgeable then you have killed their ignorance and that is a much better way to get people searching for answers.

Would you consider a little mercy Mr Adam?

Muleslayer, I appreciate your request and I thank you for posing it in the respectful manner you did.

DPD/PG/whateverOtherNameTheyHave... [that person] can come back and contribute to the forum, but they are going to have to ask on their own.

I know we were warned repeatedly that we "can't ban them"... so maybe this is a great opportunity for them to "show their internet prowess" or whatever it is that these people like to do. I have banned a few IP addresses and usernames and emails, but to be completely blunt... this wasn't worth a lot of my time. I'm sure the member can find a way back on the forums if they fee the need to. :)

I will say one thing... if someone threatens my staff, family, employees, or myself... I don't sit by idly. I take action... even if that action isn't known to the person immediately, or soon, or ever. But I DO take action.

In this case, the action was minor. I banned a couple accounts, blocked a few IPs, and sent a few messages. MrPG probably needed something to do anyway, right? :P

• Upvote 2

That is a great point Big Newby.

I find that the struggle to speak the truth without offending people is The Great Journey of Wisdom.

We try to get along with people which tends to make us either stop speaking or lie about what we think. No change is comfortable and lies provide that.

Telling the truth makes people angry. Learning to speak truth while trying not to offend causes us to get better at communicating and to keep researching what we are talking about in order to do so.

We are all learning and trying to get better and we all make mistakes and a lot of them are unavoidable while we are trying.

Edison found 2000 ways not to make a light bulb. If you are not making mistakes you are not working :)

Lying is a laziness. Some people encourage others to join them in their laziness because it's comfortable for them and they get angry when people are looking for the truth and throw all kinds of accusations at them.

"why are you trying"' "you can't do anything about it." is a laziness that you will often hear from people who don't want to try and are more apt to lie.

With dual statements like the one you mention an active person will look to find how to help people who are in need but a disillusioned person will focus on one of those things while ignoring the other.

I don't think that any dual statement like that should every be told without explaining how one balances the two opposites in order to find answers.

What ever the subject if you convert someone into being knowledgeable then you have killed their ignorance and that is a much better way to get people searching for answers.

This thread is awesome, "bump" to get it back on track.