Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Please Read This! DV Members Can Help This Vet!

Navy SEAL needs OUR help

http://www.soliciting-of-any-kind-is-not-allowed.com/docweltwarriors

746199_1382986475.3658_multi.jpg

Gary has done and seen things in his career that most of us only have nightmares about; he has traveled the world and worked in the most deplorable places imaginable for 30 years, all for the love of his country. Even after he retired he spent time fighting pirates in the oceans overseas. I am proud to say I know this man.

Gary is fighting a battle now that he needs our help to win. He was diagnosed last year with Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS)and I am very sad to say that it is progressing quickly. He has gone from being a mountain of a man to a wheel chair with a feeding tube and ventilator to help with breathing within the last year.

Although Gary has his wife, family and friends circling around him to help him cope with his situation, I am sorry to say that it is not enough. Caring for someone with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) is not only mentally straining but the financial burden is unbearable as well.

The VA is not much help for Gary, they are more in the business of helping our veterans "get by" until they pass and are no longer “on their books” so to speak instead of doing what is necessary to get them well, and to help them overcome their illness. In my opinion, the government should be doing everything and more to help considering all that Gary has given them.

In other words, Gary may have some VA benefits to get him by, but not to get him well. This man has spent his life in service of this country and deserves whatever we can do to get him well, not just get him by. ALS is considered a terminal decease and without research into areas that will do more than just extend one’s life, it will remain that way, terminal.

Gary has been accepted into a clinical study at the University of South Florida. He has been given the opportunity to receive an experimental stem cell therapy for patients with motor neuron disease, a clinical research study. The treatment is designed to target bone marrow where stem cells are produced and increase their production. The body is tricked into thinking there is an infection and therefore the production of white blood cells will go up considerably. The trial for this disease has not been conducted anywhere else. This study is being conducted to determine the persistence of bone-marrow derived stem cells in the circulatory system after treatment with G-CSF (Filgrastim, Neupogen) and the safety of high frequency administration of Filgrastim in patients with ALS. The drug slowed and in some research reversed the progression of motor neuron disease (ALS) and improved function. Gary has received three treatments that are allowed in the study and has regained slight movement in his legs and arms. In order for Gary to continue these treatments he will need funding to pay for each of the next 9. This is an expense the family cannot afford ($10,000 per treatment) and needs help raising funds to continue the treatments.

I will say this, if anyone can beat this disease it is Gary “Doc” Welt. I have known this man since I was 15, (40 years) and there is nothing he has not conquered when the task was put in front of him. He has put his life on the line for us more often than we will ever know, please help us show him how much we care about him now that he needs us. Please give whatever you can, any amount will help. Thank you so much....

UPDATE: 2/27/14 First let me thank everyone for...

UPDATE: 2/27/14

First let me thank everyone for their donations and prayers!

I was able to go down to Florida this past weekend and visit with Gary. He is still in the VA hospital but wanting so much to go home. Luckily the renovations to their home should have enough done to get him home by the end of March. There is a lot of red tape dealing with the VA and it is so frustrating for the entire family. For instance, Gary needs 24 hour nursing care but the VA will only pay for 4 hrs a day with a CNA for 5 days a week, if Brenda and Gary use his Medicare benefits they will pay for a CNA for 8 hrs a day for 3 days a week however; if they use the Medicare benefits they cannot use the VA benefits. apparently the government considers it "double dipping". Gary needs, medication care, bowel and bladder care, feeding tube care, oxygen and other care. The family is training to do as much as possible but having a nurse there will certainly make it easier on everyone.

Also Gary needs a special bed at home to help prevent bed sores and the VA won't furnish it as of this writing. Gary has no movement at all now and depends on family and nursing staff for even the smallest movement like turning his head. In my opinion, the Government should be supplying everything for this man but that is not the case. Gary and Brenda are going to have to meet a large portion of Gary's needs on their own financially. Nursing care alone will run around $9,000 a month and the bed needed is $24,000. We are speaking with the bed manufacturer in hopes of getting a bit of help there.

Gary was in good spirits when I visited with him. He is such a special man.

Please continue to pass this link along and spread the word.

Thanks again to everyone and God Bless you all.

746199_1393880541.9997_multi.jpeg

We don't normally post articles that request donations but I don't think Adam will mind in this case. We have a large membership of vets and patriots. Maybe we can help this vet have a decent life during the time he has left. He doesn't have the luxury of being able to wait for the VA to do what is right.

If you can donate, please click the link at the top of this post.

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 1