Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Vladimir Putin prepares authorisation of military force in Ukraine

umbertino

Russian President Vladimir Putin has asked parliament for permission to use the country's military in Ukraine.

By Harry Alsop, and agencies

3:31PM GMT 01 Mar 2014

Russian President Vladimir Putin has requested permission to use force in Ukraine.

He said the move is needed to protect ethnic Russians and the personnel of a Russian military base in Ukraine's strategic region of Crimea.

"I'm submitting a request for using the armed forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine pending the normalisation of the socio-political situation in that country," Mr Putin said in a statement released by the Kremlin.

He sent the request to the Russian legislature's upper house, which has to approve the motion, according to the constitution.

They began debating it immediately, and will certainly approve the proposal.

In Crimea, the pro-Russian regional prime minister had earlier claimed control of the military and police there and asked Mr Putin for help in keeping peace, sharpening the discord between the two Slavic neighbour countries.

It was the latest escalation following the ouster of Ukraine's pro-Russian president last week by a protest movement aimed at turning Ukraine toward the European Union and away from Russia.

Ukraine accused Russia on Saturday of sending thousands of extra troops into Crimea as the Kremlin vowed to help restore calm on the flashpoint peninsula and Washington warned of "costs" to Moscow should it use force.

Defence Minister Igor Tenyukh told the Ukrainian government's first cabinet session that Russia's armed forces had sent 30 armoured personnel carriers and 6,000 additional troops into Crimea in a bid to help local pro-Kremlin militia gain broader independence from the new pro-EU leaders in Kiev.

Mr Tenyukh accused Russia of starting to send in these reinforcements on Friday "without warning or Ukraine's permission."

The defence chief spoke as dozens of pro-Russian armed men in full combat gear patrolled outside the seat of power in Crimea's capital Simferopol. Similar gunmen had seized the city's parliament and government buildings on Thursday and taken control of its airport and a nearby military base on Friday.

Ukraine's border guard service also reported that about 300 armed men dressed in "full battle fatigues" were trying to seize its main headquarters in the Crimean port city of Sevastopol under orders from Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.

The rugged peninsula jutting into the Black Sea – host to a Kremlin fleet and with an ethnic Russian majority – has now been effectively cut off from the mainland.

The international airport in Simferopol has not functioned since late Friday and militia armed with Kalashnikovs have established a checkpoint at the head of Crimea's main highway.

The volatile region has been thrust to the fore of a Cold War-style confrontation between the West and Russia over Ukraine – a face off that has also exposed the ancient cultural rifts between the pro-European west and the Russian-speaking south and east of this country of 46 million.

Nowhere has that divide been more apparent than in Crimea – an autonomous region of nearly two million people that has housed Kremlin navies for nearly 250 years and which a Soviet leader gifted to Ukraine when it was still a part of the USSR in 1954.

The region's MPs deposed the Kiev-appointed prime minister on Thursday and called for a regional referendum – moved forward on Saturday to March 30 – that would proclaim even greater independence for Crimea.

Crimea's newly-chosen premier Sergiy Aksyonov followed that up on Saturday by calling on Russian President Vladimir Putin to help restore "peace and calm" amid his standoff with Kiev's new Western-backed authorities.

He also put all of Crimea's security forces under his control.

Russia's lower house of parliament ratcheted up tensions by asking Mr Putin to "use all available possibilities to protect the population of Crimea."

A source in the Kremlin administration told Moscow's three main news agencies that "Russia will not leave this request (from Mr Aksyonov) without attention."

But Ukraine's interim president Oleksandr Turchynov instructed the government not to recognise Aksyonov's rule in Crimea.

The crisis in Ukraine, the bloodiest since its 1991 independence from the USSR, erupted in November when ousted President Viktor Yanukovych – who has since fled to Russia – rejected a historic deal that would have opened Ukraine's door to eventual EU membership in favour of tighter ties with old master Moscow.

The move triggered mass anti-Yanukovych protests and a week of carnage in Kiev claimed nearly 100 lives last week.

Western governments have been watching with increasing alarm the threat of escalating violence in the ex-Soviet country.

US President Barack Obama warned Mr Putin in a hastily arranged White House briefing Friday that "there will be costs for any military intervention in Ukraine."

A senior US official later said that Mr Obama and some European leaders could skip June's G8 summit in Sochi if Moscow's forces became more directly involved in Ukraine.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said ahead of his arrival in Kiev on Sunday that he had urged a "de-escalation in Crimea and respect for the sovereignty and independence of Ukraine" in a telephone conversation with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

Germany and France also voiced concern about the developments on the Crimean peninsula.

And Sweden's Foreign Minister Carl Bildt tweeted: "Obvious that there is Russian military intervention in Ukraine. Likely immediate aim is to set up puppet pro-Russian semi state in Crimea".

Now Kiev's newly installed leaders must grapple with the dual threats of economic collapse and secession by regions that had backed Yanukovych.

Several dozen people were reportedly hurt in the eastern city of Kharkiv, when a few hundred people broke away from a pro-Russian crowd of 20,0000 and attempted to storm the regional administration centre.

The building had been occupied for more than a week by members of Right Sector – a Ukranian nationalist movement that played a prominent role in the Kiev protests.

More than 10,000 people carrying Russian flags also protested against Kiev's new rulers in the ousted leader's eastern stronghold of Donetsk.

But the looming threat of a debt default that Kiev leaders warn could come as early as next week looked even more ominous when Russia's state-owned Gazprom – often accused of being wielded as a weapon by the Kremlin against uncooperative ex-Soviet states – warned that it may be forced to hike the price it charges Ukraine for natural gas.

"The debt is $1.549 billion, it is huge," Gazprom spokesman Sergei Kupriyanov told the RIA Novosti news agency.

"Clearly, with this debt Ukraine may not be able to keep its discount (to market price) for the gas."

Ukraine won a one-third discount from Gazprom under a deal signed by Mr Yanukovych with Putin that also saw Russia promise to buy $15 billion in the Kiev government debt.

But Russia has only bought $3.0 billion in Ukrainian obligations and has effectively frozen further deliveries of aid.

Ukraine's new leaders have said that the economically-teetering country needs $35 billion over the coming two years to keep the economy afloat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10669908/Putin-asks-parliament-for-military-force-in-Ukraines-Crimea.html

• Upvote 1

The parliment has already approved the measure now the questions is well for the war hawks on this site.  Will the US jump into a war along with Britain against Russia?  There was a treaty signed in 1994 saying that Ukraine would be protected in case of a interevention by Russia?  I am sure we won't but i am sure some will say Obama has not Balz to do it and if he does they will complain regardless.  Do we want a war with a country who can put IDF on target or has an air force and a decent military.  This is not Iraq or Afghanistan.

The parliment has already approved the measure now the questions is well for the war hawks on this site.  Will the US jump into a war along with Britain against Russia?  There was a treaty signed in 1994 saying that Ukraine would be protected in case of a interevention by Russia?  I am sure we won't but i am sure some will say Obama has not Balz to do it and if he does they will complain regardless.  Do we want a war with a country who can put IDF on target or has an air force and a decent military.  This is not Iraq or Afghanistan.

Good Post TP.

No way do we want to flirt around with that idea... you raise a very good point this is NOT Iraq or Afghanstan.

The war hawks here in the US may want to go but the Brits have woken up and have said "enough".

That may save us again... should the US war hawks try to entertain that idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Crap, home to some of the most beautiful women in the world.  Shabs if you are out there I may need your help to house a few vodka drinking ladies till this blows over!!   :eyebrows:  :)

Don't worry kiddos our POTUS has no guts, we aren't going anywhere, regardless if we leave our biggest ally high and dry, he could give a rip, he ran off for some beers right after his wimpy statement "there will be costs" to Putin, he's in way over his head and so is the idiot Kerry.  I seem to remember all the crap the libtards gave Palin too about saying Putin would invade the Ukraine too, yeah who's laughing now?  I may have to retract my statement about Russia not starting crap with us as we feed them and they aren't what they used to be.  As far as Iraq and such they have Russian junk and we can handle that, but on the flip side you have the idiot in charge firing our best military leaders, something he knows nothing about, since the presidency is the first job he's ever had.  Yeah we may be in trouble, Putin knows O is as spineless as a jellyfish.

I am a bit concerned what a surveillance ship is doing in Cuba right now though, you can bet your @$$ they've got subs sitting here too. Did they ever figure out who launched the missile out of the ocean by California, since it wasn't us?  <_<  

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Crimea's newly-chosen premier Sergiy Aksyonov followed that up on Saturday by calling on Russian President Vladimir Putin to help restore "peace and calm" amid his standoff with Kiev's new Western-backed authorities.

He also put all of Crimea's security forces under his control.

Russia's lower house of parliament ratcheted up tensions by asking Mr Putin to "use all available possibilities to protect the population of Crimea."

Crap, home to some of the most beautiful women in the world.  Shabs if you are out there I may need your help to house a few vodka drinking ladies till this blows over!!   :eyebrows:  :)

Don't worry kiddos our POTUS has no guts, we aren't going anywhere, regardless if we leave our biggest ally high and dry, he could give a rip, he ran off for some beers right after his wimpy statement "there will be costs" to Putin, he's in way over his head and so is the idiot Kerry.  I seem to remember all the crap the libtards gave Palin too about saying Putin would invade the Ukraine too, yeah who's laughing now?  I may have to retract my statement about Russia not starting crap with us as we feed them and they aren't what they used to be.  As far as Iraq and such they have Russian junk and we can handle that, but on the flip side you have the idiot in charge firing our best military leaders, something he knows nothing about, since the presidency is the first job he's ever had.  Yeah we may be in trouble, Putin knows O is as spineless as a jellyfish.

I am a bit concerned what a surveillance ship is doing in Cuba right now though, you can bet your @$$ they've got subs sitting here too. Did they ever figure out who launched the missile out of the ocean by California, since it wasn't us?  <_<  

DAMN DDS  THAT WAS THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF O I HAVE HEARD IN A LONG TIME.  2ND TO THE ONE FROM ME OF COURSE.  :lol: YOU KNOW WHAT I AM THINKING BUT OTHERS IN HERE MAY NOT SO I WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING ELSE FOR NOW.  PUTIN COULD CARE A RAT'S AZZ WHAT O IS SAYING AND THINKS LESS OF HIM THAN THAT ALSO. 

Edited by vietnam1969
  • Upvote 2

Here's the UPDATE:

Russia's Upper House Approves Putin's Military Intervention Plan

BY ALASTAIR JAMIESON AND JIM MACEDA

MOSCOW — The Russian parliament’s upper house unanimously approved President Vladimir Putin’s request for a military intervention in Ukraine, according to a Kremlin statement Saturday.

The approval came within two hours of Putin appealing to parliament saying the move is needed to protect ethnic Russians and the personnel of a Russian military base in Ukraine's strategic region of Crimea.

But Deputy Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation Grigory Karasin — who Putin appointed as the official representative on the military action proposal — said Russian force in Ukraine may not be used quickly.

Karasin did not give a timeframe for military action and it was unclear whether Putin's announcement was merely intended to send a message to international powers that Russia would not back down over the future of Ukraine.

Hours before Putin's statement, Western foreign ministers issued calls for Russia to de-escalate the crisis in Crimea — echoing a similar warning from President Barack Obama that armed intervention would have "costs."  (Yeah, I'm sure that scared them, good thing Obama and Putin are such good friends..........................Oh wait.................my bad...............after O slapped the gaays in Putins face at the Olympics.....................ya never mind.)  <_< 

The request, made to the Russian Senate, follows a letter from the upper house to Putin appealing for the same.

The statement said: "Due to the extraordinary situation in Ukraine and the threat to the lives of Russian citizens and compatriots, and the personnel staff of Russia’s military forces based in Ukraine (Crimea), according to international agreement ... I submit a request to the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation for the use of military forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine until the social and political situation in the country normalizes."

Earlier Saturday, Ukraine accused Russia of sending 6,000 additional troops into Crimea Saturday, deepening a crisis in which both sides accused each other of trying to destabilize the region.

DAMN DDS  THAT WAS THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF O I HAVE HEARD IN A LONG TIME.  2ND TO THE ONE FROM ME OF COURSE.  :lol: YOU KNOW WHAT I AM THINKING BUT OTHERS IN HERE MAY NOT SO I WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING ELSE FOR NOW.  PUTIN COULD CARE A RAT'S AZZ WHAT O IS SAYING AND THINKS LESS OF HIM THAN THAT ALSO. 

Right on buddy, we are extremely weak up top right now and Putin knows it, not a good scenario.  Have to catch ya later with an emerald, I'm out already again.

Edited by DiveDeepSix

The Dogs of War...lol I watched a Euro news station, and they covered it all day. Putin is an SOB, And will do anything to  keep his grip on power.USA is censoring the news.

They threatened Google with seizure if they didn't co-operate with info requests.Gov claimed google

was in drug trade because of the no script ads for drugs  that showed through search made them part of the trade.Pretty slick, huh?

My law professor said that this was was going to happen a long thing ago.Old Dirty Phil  was his name.What a wild man,

that everybody liked.

One day a student asked why male victims were never in any statutory rape cases, and his answer was ."Ever try to put toothpaste back in the tube?

Of course all that's changed now.Dirty Phil was a great guy, and very funny....retired Marine on his second career.

But, I digress...

Edited by Erebus