Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

#BBCtrending: #Wearethepeople and the 'fraudulent' dinar ruse

14 February 2014 Last updated at 21:36 ET

Share this page
#BBCtrending: #Wearethepeople and the 'fraudulent' dinar ruse

_70719866_arrow2_112.jpgBy BBC TrendingWhat's popular and why

_73002063_getty79355678.jpg

A BBC Trending investigation has found that one of the biggest trends on Twitter in the US - #wearethepeople - involves claims about the Iraqi dinar, which the International Monetary Fund has called "completely fraudulent".

The hashtag #wearethepeople looks huge. Since it took off on 26 January, there have been more than four million tweets. At first glance, those using the hashtag appear to be making an anti-banking, anti-establishment argument - similar to the Occupy movement. "The bankers do not want us picking on them. Then be ethical! #wearethepeople," for example.

But many of the tweets use terminology which is unintelligible to the outside observer. "Release the RV", they say, "release the Global Currency Reset". This might sound like financial jargon - but these are not economic terms recognised by economists. One of the biggest accounts pushing the hashtag - @THE_TNT_TEAM - has more than 250,000 followers. But tests run on the account suggest that between 65% and 80% of the followers are fake - meaning the scale of the trend is far smaller than the number of tweets would suggest. That said, those who are real followers are heavily engaged. Statistics from the group's chat forum show as many as 25,000 people logging in per day.

So what's it all about? "TNT Tony" - as the man behind this calls himself - encourages Americans to invest in the Iraqi dinar. He says the currency will be revalued imminently, making anyone who buys dinars rich overnight. TNT Tony hosts regular conference calls in which he updates his followers on the latest news on the dinar. Over the past few weeks, he has upped the ante, saying that a secret deal has been struck on the revaluation, and that this preferential rate is available only to the "elites". In short, he claims there is a giant global currency conspiracy.

Continue reading the main story Find out more
_73002068_304by171jpg.jpg
  • Hear the full story of the Iraqi dinar conspiracy on BBC Trending on BBC World Service at 11:30 GMT on Saturday

The International Monetary Fund told BBC Trending that the claims being made are "completely fraudulent". Top economists that we have spoken to from Harvard University to the London School of Economics have dismissed the ideas being promoted as "complete hokum" and "dangerous". The dinar has been stable since 2010, and - say economists - if is revalued then it is more likely to go down against the dollar than up. TNT Tony declined to answer questions for this report.

Dinars are not available for sale at high streets banks in the US, so the purchase of dinars takes place via a "dinar dealer" who takes a large commission - about 20%. As long as there is no connection - and no kick-backs - between the "dinar dealers" and those encouraging people to buy them, then this is all 100% legal. In TNT Tony's case, there is nothing we have seen that would suggest he operating outside the law.

TNT Tony is just one of a number of people who host online forums in which they offer "expert" advice and the latest "intelligence" on the dinar to anyone interested in investing. There is a long history of this in the US - dating back to soon after the invasion of Iraq in 2003. BBC Trending has been in contact with a number of Americans who have invested in dinars - some are hoping for a return of almost 1000 times their initial investment.

"It sucks you in," says Marcus Curtis who spent more than $3,000 (£1800) on Iraqi dinars in 2010 and encouraged his friends and family to do the same. "I spent two years of my life in the forums talking to people and learning all this stuff that wasn't true." He is now one of a handful of people who research, blog and campaign - often with considerable zeal - against those promoting the dinar. He describes some of the characteristics of the forums as "cult-like". There are examples of marriages breaking up and people losing their homes after spending money on dinars they cannot afford, he says. The hashtag #wearenotthepeople is still going strong, thanks to its fake - but also some very real - followers.

Reporting by Cordelia Hebblethwaite

Hear the full story of the Iraqi dinar conspiracy on BBC Trending on BBC World Service at 11:30 GMT on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-26187471#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thought I would share to let you make the choice to believe or not believe Tony.  Most of us know better, but for the newbies.

• Upvote 2

"In TNT Tony's case, there is nothing we have seen that would suggest he operating outside the law."

Somebody Should Contact The Reporter Of This Story To Do A Follow Up !

TNT Tony Has A Criminal Background And Is Currently Facing Federal Criminal Charges ! :o

:D:D:D

Thx For The Post Skrappy ! ;)

B)B)

• Upvote 1

The International Monetary Fund told BBC Trending that the claims being made are "completely fraudulent". Top economists that we have spoken to from Harvard University to the London School of Economics have dismissed the ideas being promoted as "complete hokum" and "dangerous". The dinar has been stable since 2010, and - say economists - if is revalued then it is more likely to go down against the dollar than up.

Dinars are not available for sale at high streets banks in the US, so the purchase of dinars takes place via a "dinar dealer" who takes a large commission - about 20%. As long as there is no connection - and no kick-backs - between the "dinar dealers" and those encouraging people to buy them, then this is all 100% legal.

There is a long history of this in the US - dating back to soon after the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

"It sucks you in," says Marcus Curtis who spent more than $3,000 (£1800) on Iraqi dinars in 2010 and encouraged his friends and family to do the same. "I spent two years of my life in the forums talking to people and learning all this stuff that wasn't true." He is now one of a handful of people who research, blog and campaign - often with considerable zeal - against those promoting the dinar.

He describes some of the characteristics of the forums as "cult-like". There are examples of marriages breaking up and people losing their homes after spending money on dinars they cannot afford, he says. The hashtag #wearenotthepeople is still going strong, thanks to its fake - but also some very real - followers.

Well this is more than just Tony TNT being "Fake". The whole Revalue of the IQD is a scam according to these sources. One would have a tendency to dump their Dinar after reading this!!!

I am going to stick around and see what happens. I have more common sense than to invest my life savings into this and I sure would not base my marriage and relationships on currency speculation.

You make your own call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-26187471

A BBC Trending investigation has found that one of the biggest trends on Twitter in the US - #wearethepeople - involves claims about the Iraqi dinar, which the International Monetary Fund has called "completely fraudulent".

The hashtag #wearethepeople looks huge. Since it took off on 26 January, there have been more than four million tweets. At first glance, those using the hashtag appear to be making an anti-banking, anti-establishment argument - similar to the Occupy movement. "The bankers do not want us picking on them. Then be ethical! #wearethepeople," for example.

But many of the tweets use terminology which is unintelligible to the outside observer. "Release the RV", they say, "release the Global Currency Reset". This might sound like financial jargon - but these are not economic terms recognised by economists. One of the biggest accounts pushing the hashtag - @THE_TNT_TEAM - has more than 250,000 followers. But tests run on the account suggest that between 65% and 80% of the followers are fake - meaning the scale of the trend is far smaller than the number of tweets would suggest. That said, those who are real followers are heavily engaged. Statistics from the group's chat forum show as many as 25,000 people logging in per day.

So what's it all about? "TNT Tony" - as the man behind this calls himself - encourages Americans to invest in the Iraqi dinar. He says the currency will be revalued imminently, making anyone who buys dinars rich overnight. TNT Tony hosts regular conference calls in which he updates his followers on the latest news on the dinar. Over the past few weeks, he has upped the ante, saying that a secret deal has been struck on the revaluation, and that this preferential rate is available only to the "elites". In short, he claims there is a giant global currency conspiracy.

Find out more

The International Monetary Fund told BBC Trending that the claims being made are "completely fraudulent". Top economists that we have spoken to from Harvard University to the London School of Economics have dismissed the ideas being promoted as "complete hokum" and "dangerous". The dinar has been stable since 2010, and - say economists - if is revalued then it is more likely to go down against the dollar than up. TNT Tony declined to answer questions for this report.

Dinars are not available for sale at high streets banks in the US, so the purchase of dinars takes place via a "dinar dealer" who takes a large commission - about 20%. As long as there is no connection - and no kick-backs - between the "dinar dealers" and those encouraging people to buy them, then this is all 100% legal. In TNT Tony's case, there is nothing we have seen that would suggest he operating outside the law.

TNT Tony is just one of a number of people who host online forums in which they offer "expert" advice and the latest "intelligence" on the dinar to anyone interested in investing. There is a long history of this in the US - dating back to soon after the invasion of Iraq in 2003. BBC Trending has been in contact with a number of Americans who have invested in dinars - some are hoping for a return of almost 1000 times their initial investment.

"It sucks you in," says Marcus Curtis who spent more than $3,000 (£1800) on Iraqi dinars in 2010 and encouraged his friends and family to do the same. "I spent two years of my life in the forums talking to people and learning all this stuff that wasn't true." He is now one of a handful of people who research, blog and campaign - often with considerable zeal - against those promoting the dinar. He describes some of the characteristics of the forums as "cult-like". There are examples of marriages breaking up and people losing their homes after spending money on dinars they cannot afford, he says. The hashtag #wearenotthepeople is still going strong, thanks to its fake - but also some very real - followers.

Hear the full story of the Iraqi dinar conspiracy on BBC Trending on BBC World Service at 11:30 GMT on Saturday.

:blink:    wow   t-n-t   is  now  internationally known ------->  as  a  fake  :o      but I gotta  say ,  every time  this jerky dude  hits  the  site with ,  ----  tomorrow  ,  Friday  ,  Monday  Tuesday ,   r.v.  deals,    how  possible  is it  that  every time he comes out  and  says  this ,   it  just  pushes  the   movement of  rates  of dinar  to even a penny   , back  to the starting  point ,  for  the Iraqi  folks  who really are  in  the know ?    if  any thing  ,  he  pumps the  dinar  for  the central bank  more  than  any thing ,  with  talk  of  imminent  re-values ,  the  sales  of  dinar   move  ....   just  me  thinking ,   time  for  the  t-n-t   bunch  to  cash  out ,,,,  take  oiky ,  and  the gurued poopers   with  them  

• Upvote 1

jeepguy, yeah all them years of the pumpers has made the dinar valuable and built up the cbi reserves.  We helped contribute to put value in the dinar and I think it's pay out time.  wooo

PS  It only takes about 3 minutes of listening to the tnt dude, that he's full of bologna.   Not to mention that those followers have been let down time and time again, and on top of it they have been warned by many other dinarians that that dude is bad news and will only hurt those folks. 

Edited by uncirculd

People that follow this idiot don't want to hear these truths. We could write a book on all the stupid announcements he has made.....bus loads of people crashing the banks, his undercover trip to Reno to reveal the "real" scam and save all of us. I like the fact this article restated proof that his 250k followers on Twitter are in fact.....fake.  For about $350 you can "buy" a bunch of followers to pump numbers. Pathetic.  

What difference does it make now? They say the Dinar is a scam anyway....so who are you going to believe?

The article says the whole dinar thing is a scam...so what are you going to believe just half the article? The part about Tony you believe but the part about the Dinar not revaluing you chose not to believe?

haha i am definitely NOT believing BBC thats for damn sure. I trust who i know and who i talk to that ARE NOT gurus.  

. The dinar has been stable since 2010, and - say economists - if is revalued then it is more likely to go down against the dollar than up."

:lol:  :D  :rolleyes:  

Edited by easyrider

I still wanna see the list of folks that are spending everything they have, losing homes..Investing Life savings, heck one person pointed out that it in the millions...that are effected...all over a SCAM....Please can somebody provide a LINK....I sure would love to see it....

• Upvote 2

The biggest liars are media corporations and large multilateral organizations, TNT Tony, he's just one guy.. He doesn't bother me as much as those corporations that lie through their teeth. Nice little anti-dinar campaign BBC... 

Hopefully the US congress gets to work and passes the 2010 IMF Code of Reforms soon... Other nations are getting upset with the US for the delay.

• Upvote 2

http://empirestrikesblack.com/2014/01/bbc-caught-fabricating-videos-to-push-libya-and-syria-war-agendas/

BBC caught lying multiple times these are only a few stories there are many more LOL

The biggest liars are media corporations and large multilateral organizations, TNT Tony, he's just one guy.. He doesn't bother me as much as those corporations that lie through their teeth. Nice little anti-dinar campaign BBC... 

Hopefully the US congress gets to work and passes the 2010 IMF Code of Reforms soon... Other nations are getting upset with the US for the delay.

+1 tony is only one man thats can be discounted but many want to believe a mainstream media station that has been caught lying red handed and altering pictures etc.. numerous times, they would never mislead us  right? haha

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1