Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Californa Concealed Carry Law Overturned

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-guns-9th-circuit-20140213,0,3489492.story#axzz2tF3dpmFL

San Diego County gun law violates 2nd Amendment, appeals court rules

SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal appeals court decided Thursday that a San Diego restriction on carrying concealed guns in public for self defense infringes on citizens' 2nd Amendment rights.

In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned San Diego County permit requirements because the court said they denied responsible, law-abiding citizens the right to carry concealed handguns in public for self-defense.

California generally prohibits carrying guns, whether loaded or not, in public locations.

But residents may apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon in the city or county where they live or work. To obtain licenses in San Diego County, residents must show “good moral character,” complete a training course and establish they have valid reasons for needing the gun.

The court said San Diego's policy was too restrictive under the 2nd Amendment because it required applicants to show a specific concern for personal safety.

“Given this requirement, the 'typical' responsible, law-abiding citizen in San Diego County cannot bear arms in public for self-defense,” wrote Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain, an appointee of President Reagan. He was joined by Judge Consuelo Callahan, an appointee of President George W. Bush.

In a dissent, Judge Sidney Thomas, a President Clinton appointee, said the majority ruling "upends the entire California firearm regulatory scheme."

Thomas said the majority had wrongly reasoned that because California bans the open carry of guns in most public areas, it must permit residents to carry concealed handguns in public without having to show specific concerns for personal safety.

In the case before the court, several people who were denied the right to carry a concealed handgun sued the County of San Diego. A judge ruled for the county. Thursday's 9th Circuit decision overturned the trial judge's ruling.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-guns-9th-circuit-20140213,0,3489492.story#ixzz2tF42BW44

• Upvote 7

not all Counties in Ca are completely stupid, I live in a County that does issue CCW permits that are good anywhere in the state, except the normally restricted locations, courthouses, etc...

and you can carry in Counties that don't issue CCW permits  :eyebrows:

One can never be too cautious in San Diego.   :huh: 

san-diego-tank-rampage.jpg

GO RV, and NO BV

yes, it is always a good idea to carry an anti-tank gun when in San Diego, maybe in a drop shoulder rig.

• Upvote 4

I remember this story. The LAPD wound up stopping this guy by shooting him with a handgun. He got hung up on a traffic median, an officer was able to get onto the tank  (which is an M60A3 by the way). The guy who had stolen the tank had left the loaders hatch unlatched, so the officer was able to get inside. He wound up shooting the perp dead with his handgun. 

not all Counties in Ca are completely stupid, I live in a County that does issue CCW permits that are good anywhere in the state, except the normally restricted locations, courthouses, etc...

yes, it is always a good idea to carry an anti-tank gun when in San Diego, maybe in a drop shoulder rig.

Drop shoulder rig that one got me. :lol:

• Upvote 2

To obtain licenses in San Diego County, residents must show “good moral character,” complete a training course and establish they have valid reasons for needing the gun.

That's the clincher right there... all they have to do is restrict those who don't match their criteria... 

Do you really want California to judge on what is "Good Moral Character"!!!  :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao: 

Or here's another one.... what proof do you have for needing a gun???  :huh: 

How bout...."stayin' alive"!!!  :eyebrows:

Thanks Tank!!!  ;)

I remember this story. The LAPD wound up stopping this guy by shooting him with a handgun. He got hung up on a traffic median, an officer was able to get onto the tank  (which is an M60A3 by the way). The guy who had stolen the tank had left the loaders hatch unlatched, so the officer was able to get inside. He wound up shooting the perp dead with his handgun. 

Close, but not quite.

It happened in San Diego (SDPD).

Watched it live.

When you're delivery driver, you never know

what you're going to see on the road.

Hard to believe that it was almost 20 years ago...

This actually was a very elaborate 'suicide by cop' set up... My friend Howard was the negotiator on this one, and was one of the guys who jumped on top of the tank when it stopped. If there's any footage of this, Howard would for sure be the guy in the Hawaiian shirt... It was his trademark and as I remember, he told me he was wearing one that day, and people probably thought he was a tourist versus SDPD cop.... :D

I think I will need a bigger shoulder!

One of the reasons I like living in MT

Open carry is permissible in Montana under most circumstances - just can't take a weapon into a school, legal building, bank, or a place that sells alcohol for on premise consumption. Also a "Shall Issue" state - just apply, pay your money, present proof of firearms training (state sponsored Hunter's Safety counts), get a background check, and you have a permit.

Concealed carry is permissible without a permit outside cities and towns.  If your stopped by law enforcement, declare you have a weapon at first opportunity and it's not considered concealed.

Additionally, Montana has a preemption law that prevents municipal or county governments from enacting gun laws more restrictive than state law, and a law that protects gun ranges.

I was stopped just outside of Polson driving a Montana rental and presented my out of state drivers license.  I declared I was carry concealed at that time and the trooper said with a smile, "well, just don't shoot me."  He gave me a warning for the traffic violation and let me go my way.

Didn't check my weapon, didn't ask for my permit, nothing.  Just the way it should be. 

No fuss, no muss, too easy.

I was stopped just outside of Polson driving a Montana rental and presented my out of state drivers license.  I declared I was carry concealed at that time and the trooper said with a smile, "well, just don't shoot me."  He gave me a warning for the traffic violation and let me go my way.

Didn't check my weapon, didn't ask for my permit, nothing.  Just the way it should be. 

No fuss, no muss, too easy.

Polson - some of my old stomping grounds.  Grew up about 40 miles from there - and spent a lot of time on the lake during the summer. I miss Richwine's burgers. Small mom and pop burger stand - actually the burgers were 50-50 mix of beef and local made pork sausage.  Understand they went out of business a few years ago. Ahh...the memories.

• Upvote 1

Polson - some of my old stomping grounds.  Grew up about 40 miles from there - and spent a lot of time on the lake during the summer. I miss Richwine's burgers. Small mom and pop burger stand - actually the burgers were 50-50 mix of beef and local made pork sausage.  Understand they went out of business a few years ago. Ahh...the memories.

Fear not!!!!

If they went out of business, it was only temporary.

Scheduled to reopen on March 7th.

http://www.richwinesburgerville.com/index.asp

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richwines-Burgerville/157132721012374

Just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of a Huckleberry Shake...

http://www.richwinesburgerville.com/chd10pg2.asp

Fear not!!!!

If they went out of business, it was only temporary.

Scheduled to reopen on March 7th.

http://www.richwinesburgerville.com/index.asp

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richwines-Burgerville/157132721012374

Just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of a Huckleberry Shake...

http://www.richwinesburgerville.com/chd10pg2.asp

You don't have to wrap your head around the idea - just wrap you lips around the straw and savor the goodness!!!

I'm headed that way in April - WOOHOO!