Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Connecticut Stunned By Gun Owner Civil Disobedience

Officials in Connecticut Stunned by What Could Be a Massive, State-Wide Act of ‘Civil Disobedience’ by Gun Owners

Feb. 13, 2014 12:04am Jason Howerton

On Jan. 1, 2014, tens of thousands of defiant gun owners seemingly made the choice not to register their semi-automatic rifles with the state of Connecticut as required by a hastily-passed gun control law. By possessing unregistered so-called “assault rifles,” they all technically became guilty of committing Class D felonies overnight.

Police had received 47,916 applications for “assault weapons certificates” and 21,000 incomplete applications as of Dec. 31, Lt. Paul Vance told The Courant.

At roughly 50,000 applications, officials estimate that as little as 15 percent of the covered semi-automatic rifles have actually been registered with the state. “No one has anything close to definitive figures, but the most conservative estimates place the number of unregistered assault weapons well above 50,000, and perhaps as high as 350,000,” the report states.

Needless to say, officials and some lawmakers are stunned.

Due to the new gun control bill passed in April, likely at least 20,000 individual people — possibly as many as 100,000 — are now in direct violation of the law for refusing to register their guns. As we noted above, that act is now a Class D Felony.

Mike Lawlor, “the state’s top official in criminal justice,” suggested maybe the firearms unit in Connecticut could “sent them a letter.” However, he said an aggressive push to prosecute gun owners in the state is not going to happen at this point.

Lawlor, the undersecretary for criminal justice policy in the state Office of Policy and Management, also suggested that the legislature should reopen the registration period to encourage more gun owners to register their firearms.

You may recall the viral photo of Connecticut gun owners waiting in line to register their guns in December, which one person said reminded them of the “Weimar Germany.”

Republican state Sen. Tony Guglielmo told The Courant he recently spoke to a constituent at a meeting in Ashford, who informed him that some of his friends with semi-automatic rifles are intentionally taking a stand.

“He made the analogy to prohibition,” the lawmaker recalled. “I said, ‘You’re talking about civil disobedience, and he said ‘Yes.’”

Guglielmo said he really thought the “vast majority would register.”

Other officials think the low registration numbers are due to ignorance on behalf of gun owners who aren’t aware of the new law. It’s impossible to know the main reason why gun owners aren’t showing up to register their guns without hearing from them directly, though Guglielmo’s constituent indicates at least some are practicing “civil disobedience.”

“Sorting out the number of potential new felons is a guessing game. State police have not added up the total number of people who registered the 50,000 firearms, Vance said. So even if we knew the number of illegal guns in the state, we’d have a hard time knowing how many owners they had,” the report concludes.

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

• Upvote 2

It is heart warming to see the greater majority of people are still able to think for themselves.

Hunters are, for the most part, productive members of society.

This law was nothing short of a direct violation of the Bill of Rights inserted into the Constitution as Amendments.

I know I shouldn't be, but still am shocked, when people meekly accept servitude when a gang of collectivist jerks decides to violate their oath to protect the constitution, then turn around and commit some heinous act of treason by passing these absurd laws.

That's Exactly what they did, and if civil "disobedience" is the only way left for those living in Connecticut  have left, then so be it.

That some "representatives" don't understand just shows how totally out of touch they are.

• Upvote 2

It is not "meekly accepted servitude" to follow the law.......Possibly, the more intelligent route to take would be contacting elected representatives, petitions in hand and state your case.  Get the law repealed and move on in life.  That's the route I would take, anyways.  There are many ways to stand up for what you believe in.  As always, just my unpopular opinion.   :D 

GO RV, and NO BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I see you're still in attack mode......about 2 years straight now.  Well Done!!!  Don't you have an aquarium to clean or something, Cali boy?   :lol: 

GO RV, and NO BV

you support violating the Constitution by these criminal law makers (and people like you), and criminalizing law abiding citizens, but you say I am in attack mode............you better believe it sleepy head :cowboy1:  

It is not "meekly accepted servitude" to follow the law.......Possibly, the more intelligent route to take would be contacting elected representatives, petitions in hand and state your case.  Get the law repealed and move on in life.  That's the route I would take, anyways.  There are many ways to stand up for what you believe in.  As always, just my unpopular opinion.   :D 

GO RV, and NO BV

hey good for you, turn in your guns, and then contact your elected representatives............good luck with that  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

you support violating the Constitution by these criminal law makers (and people like you), and criminalizing law abiding citizens, but you say I am in attack mode............you better believe it sleepy head :cowboy1:  

hey good for you, turn in your guns, and then contact your elected representatives............good luck with that  :twothumbs:

I simply have no problem registering my weapons.......nothing more than that.  I don't plan to commit a crime with them, so what do I care if law enforcement wants to know who's packing.  I'm just your average naive citizen that still believes law enforcement is there for my protection.  I wave at the police and sheriff in my community.  They are our neighbors and friends.....that's the beauty of living in the sticks.  Keep pushing that little red button, though.  You have my blessing to do so.    :lol: 

GO RV, and NO BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Right or wrong, the law is on the books.  And until it is repealed these people are breaking that law.............thus surrendering their "Law-abiding Citizen" status.

GO RV, and NO BV 

Got rid of one of those negs shabs. But I agree 100% wuth those that chose to break that law.

How much must a man give up in order to remain a "Law Abiding Citizen"   .

When will you personally reach that point shabs. Perhaps maybe when its to late?

If your freedom becomes against the law do you sacrifice said freedom to remain a citizen in good standing. ?

Wow if our forefathers had thought that way we all be sitting around having crumpets and tea about noonish.

If in your heart you know something is wrong and not just and you do nothing about it and just "Go along"

Then you have lost your spirit and are no longer a free child of god. I own my weapon and I do not see the need

to fill out a form to the GOVT when they already know that I own this weapon from the day I bought it. 

• Upvote 1

”The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing....So let’s not have any native militia or police.”

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."  Edmund Burke 1729-97

“It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error.” Robert H. Jackson, 1892 -1954 (U.S. Attorney General & Associate Justice of The Supreme Court)

"The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety.” H.L. Mencken

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Edited by AoK
  • Upvote 5

I simply have no problem registering my weapons.......nothing more than that.  I don't plan to commit a crime with them, so what do I care if law enforcement wants to know who's packing.  I'm just your average naive citizen that still believes law enforcement is there for my protection.  I wave at the police and sheriff in my community.  They are our neighbors and friends.....that's the beauty of living in the sticks.  Keep pushing that little red button, though.  You have my blessing to do so.    :lol: 

GO RV, and NO BV

Why is it that anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment is suddenly a cop hating thug?

I really get frustrated when someone tries to pigeonhole me into some nasty stereotype just because I don't agree with the communist takeover of this country.

That happened a few weeks ago as well.

The truth is, I have a great amount of respect and admiration for police.

It is obvious a good majority are decent people that put their lives on the line everyday.

I do take exception when a person with that authority becomes power drunk, and decides since they are the law, they can follow, or break, as their own needs dictate.

I know for a fact that is an issue the good cops have to deal with daily, and because of the environment they live in, they are sometimes powerless to stop the corruption.

As far as the CN. "representatives" are concerned, what they did was illegal.

They pass laws they are not subject to, demand special treatment, and then sit back in obtuse amazement when THE PEOPLE tell them to kiss off.

Please, do not attempt to put anyone that love this nations enough to put their freedom and future at risk some sort of nefarious dolt.

Those people are just standing up for their rights.

GO RV, and NO BV

You bet, just like they did in Nazi Germany, especially since it worked so well for them.

Oh wait, they were then rounded up, guns confiscated, raped, murdered, and forced into servitude.

Is that what you want for the USA?

I mean, heck, everyone knows it's the progressives that want our guns in order to oppress us even more.

The 2nd isn't about hunting, it's about protecting ourselves from tyranny, so if they want the guns so bad, what does that say about their intentions?

• Upvote 1