Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The "Big Three" - bodies own natural antioxidants

tankdude

I wanted to share some information that I just got from some friends of mine. This talks about the 3 main antioxidants that are produced by our own bodies - and the ones most people really don't know anything about.  These 3 are actually hundreds of times more powerful than any antioxidant you can get through your diet.

This is take from an article written by Dr. Dave Carpenter, N.D., C. Ac. He is naturopathic doctor and an acupuncturist. He has studied at the University of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia and Central States College of Health Sciences in Columbus, Ohio. He is nationally board certified as a Naturopathic Medical Doctor and is a member of the Idaho Naturopathic Physicians Association and the International Association of Medical Acupuncturists.

Dr. Carpenter has over 20 years of clinical experience and has served on several industry boards of directors, including the Idaho Association of Naturopathic Physicians, the Medical Acupuncturist Board and the International Iridology Practitioners Association.

Glutathione, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase - these are all antioxidant enzymes produced naturally within the body. Studies show that as we age the cells produce less of these important enzymes, which then leads to many of the health challenges we experience as we age. Increasing their availability to the cell has vast implications. I would like to share with you some thoughts on what this means to you!

Catalase

Catalase is an antioxidant enzyme that helps the body convert hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen, thus preventing the formation of carbon dioxide bubbles in the blood! Hydrogen peroxide is a naturally occurring but very destructive waste product of all oxygen-dependent organisms that is produced when fatty acids are converted to energy and also when white blood cells attack and kill bacteria. Catalase is also critical in breaking down potentially harmful toxins such as alcohol, phenol and formaldehyde and helps prevent hydrogen peroxide from converting to the potentially damaging hydroxyl radicals that can attack and mutate DNA.

Catalase works closely with superoxide dismutase (which I’ll talk about later)to prevent free radical damage to the body. The SOD converts the dangerous superoxide radical to hydrogen peroxide, and we now know that catalase then turns that into water and oxygen. Catalase has to be one of the most efficient enzymes found in our cells.

Every second each catalase enzyme is converting millions of hydrogen peroxide molecules into water and oxygen.

Many people think that graying hair is just a normal sign of aging but research actually shows that it is caused by an excessive buildup of hydrogen peroxide in the body. (Science News. Science Daily 2009-02-24. See also Hitti M. 2.25.2009. “Why Hair Goes Gray.” Health News. Web MD. See also Wood JM, Decker H. February 2009. “Senile Hair Graying…” FASEB J. 23(7) 2065-75.)  Hydrogen peroxide interferes with melanin, the pigment that colors our hair and skin.

Superoxide Dismutase (SOD)

Superoxide dismutase is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the damage done to them by superoxide, the most common free radical in the body. SOD is found in both the dermis and epidermis and is key to the production of fibroblasts or skin building cells. Studies have shown that SOD acts as both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory in the body. SOD is currently in the spotlight of anti-aging researchers because we know that SOD levels fall off as we age, leading to more wrinkles and to precancerous cell changes.

There are two types of SOD: copper/zinc SOD which protects the cells’ cytoplasm and manganese SOD which protects the mitochondria. Each type plays a different role in helping our cells stay healthy.

Many researchers believe that abnormalities in the copper/zinc SOD may contribute to the development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) which is better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. This is because without the SOD these people are not protected from superoxide which destroys their nerve cells. This is a disease which causes a deterioration of motor nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.

SOD has also been used to treat arthritis, prostate problems, corneal ulcers, burn injuries, inflammatory diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, as well as long-term damage from exposure to smoke and radiation, and even to prevent side effects from cancer drugs. It is also being used to reduce facial wrinkles and scar tissue, heal wounds and burns, lighten dark skin (hyper-pigmentation) and protect skin against harmful UV rays.

Glutathione

Glutathione is fundamental to a wide range of metabolic and regulatory functions throughout the body. Glutathione is a tripeptide created in the body from the amino acids glutamine, cysteine and glycine. It is not only the body’s most important antioxidant but it is known to be one of the best detoxifiers in the body. Most health experts know that healthy levels of glutathione strengthen the body against heavy metal toxins. Glutathione is used to treat lead, mercury, arsenic and cadmium poisoning.

From my research I’ve learned that a deficiency in glutathione has been linked to a number of diseases including anemia, neuropathy, HIV/AIDS, cirrhosis, hepatitis, COPD, asthma, Crohn’s Disease, gastritis, duodenal ulcer, pancreatitis, heart attack, coronary artery disease, stroke, diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, cystic fibrosis, cancer, seizure disorders and autism. It protects the skin, the lens of the eyes and the retina from radiation from the sun and is the best detoxifier the body has in its arsenal. In fact, autism researchers have found that 100% of the kids studied had “unusually low concentration of the antioxidant glutathione in their cells” while none of the normal kids showed this problem. (Science News. April 16, 2005. Biochemistry. “Blood Hints at Autism’s Source.”) Jill James, director of biochemical genetics at Arkansas Children’s Hospital, notes that “This pattern is consistent with an inability to detoxify poisons, especially heavy metals, such as mercury or lead. That’s because glutathione normally binds to heavy metals and the body then targets the molecular complex for elimination.”

Summary

Catalase, SOD and glutathione peroxidase are crucial to good human health and also have

the potential to increase the human lifespan. These amazing enzymes are very vigilant in

protecting our cells from the world we live in and even in protecting us from many of our bad

habits. But science shows that as we age our cells' production of these amazing enzymes

goes down.

• Upvote 6

Thank You TankDude... Interesting and Informative... Much Appreciated :)

Excellent information. 

Your quite welcome.

Now that I'm understanding how the living cell works inside our bodies, its been a very rewarding journey... I'm just loving my new found knowledge for a healthier life. 

Have a great weekend.  :twothumbs:

Have fun this weekend. Understand your going to be in Austin.  :D

• Upvote 1

A simple test for checking catalase is thru URIC ACID levels, which is a standard blood test associated with gout...Usually you will know if it is HIGH and the doc will tell you, "You've got gout", but rarely does a doc tell you it is LOW. If it is low, suspect low catalase. Uric acid is also an anti-oxidant, but not well-know for this.

Procaine? I use almost everyday. Mostly in pain management. GREAT stuff. I do a protocol for sinuses which is 90% effective. I use both 1 and 2%, preservative-free and inject it every where!! I mix it with ozone and some B12 and Folic acid and see tremendous success in treating almost any joint pain. Fulvic acid is tested for anti-oxidant (or detoxification pathways) or energy metabolism. There are labs that test for that...Sorry, for giving you an answer to a question to TankDude! Just trying to help.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

A simple test for checking catalase is thru URIC ACID levels, which is a standard blood test associated with gout...Usually you will know if it is HIGH and the doc will tell you, "You've got gout", but rarely does a doc tell you it is LOW. If it is low, suspect low catalase. Uric acid is also an anti-oxidant, but not well-know for this.

Procaine? I use almost everyday. Mostly in pain management. GREAT stuff. I do a protocol for sinuses which is 90% effective. I use both 1 and 2%, preservative-free and inject it every where!! I mix it with ozone and some B12 and Folic acid and see tremendous success in treating almost any joint pain. Fulvic acid is tested for anti-oxidant (or detoxification pathways) or energy metabolism. There are labs that test for that...Sorry, for giving you an answer to a question to TankDude! Just trying to help.

Cheers

No problem Doc - always welcome the input! You've got the formal training - I'm really just a passionate researcher who's trying to helps as many people as possible.

I know a little bit about the  Gerovital H3 in the context your talking about. There is some evidence that it can help alleviate most age related complaints, like arthritis, Parkinsons, palsy, memory, etc. I know that there have been mixed studies done over a number of years. Some of it seem a bit inconclusive - but some have shown some good improvement under controlled conditions. That's really about all I know - what I can find through research. I've looked at some sites that give an explanation of the "mode of action" as being a cortisol inhibitor and levels out MAO, and a that it dilates and cleanses the blood.  In my case, the jury is still out, but I've heard of a number of allergic reactions - some even including renal failure. I know they are rare, and this is generally safe, but I'm not sure I want to even take the mild chance.

As I understand Fulvic Acid - it is supposed to be a powerful antioxidant, helps to increase the the electolytic balance in the body and helps to carry minerals since they dissolve readily in it.

Again, I find some concerns. There is a study done in 2001 that attributed this substance to being one of the causes of what was considered an arthritis epidemic in Central Asia at the time. (Cell & Tiss. Res. 297: 141, 1999; Int. Orthop. 25: 175, 2001)  Also, it hasn't been shown if this could actually throw the electrolyte balance in the body out of acceptable ranges. That can be a danger in and of itself. Look up

I guess what it comes down to is to do your research and make your decisions. It sound's like there are some good benefits from both of these, and some small associated downsides. If your going to try them, I recommend start slow and journal your results. Also, look into possible interactions between other drugs, supplements or foods. That's pretty much general for any supplement, natural or not.

I only know of 1 supplement that has never shown an allergic reaction, drug/food interaction or toxicity level.

• Upvote 2

The GH3 (which I TOTALLY forgot to mention) has had some success in my personal experience. It is expensive compared to other items available. We used to carry it at the hospital and administered it as a "deal" for patients who got stem cell (MSC) therapy. Kinda like a back-up plan to help with the patient seeing some results. I use placenta injections now because its cost and better success rate and, along with organo-therapy, can get organ specific. Fun to work with this stuff and happy to share ideas with you all in here. Cheers and to your health

• Upvote 1