Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Who's to blame for Al Qaeda's resurgence in Iraq

WISKY291

Except for George Bush. After all, he put us there.

Right?

Yes, but was it because of oil, or was there a good reason like WMD's that were probably smuggled to Siria and Iran, harboring alqueda, killing the Kurds, not letting the weapons inspectors in to check thoroughly,  to name a few.

• Upvote 1

Halabja: State No. 19 erase the memory of Kuwait

Fri Jan 03 2014 9:25 p.m. | (Voice of Iraq) - Saddam Hussein did not imagine that rural city which poured its planes by mustard gas and sarin, and killed about 6 thousands of people in minutes will turn to the province bearing the number 19, which was granted after its invasion of Kuwait. Halabja city become today the province. exited the city of Halabja 25 years after the massacre carried out by the regime of Saddam Hussein and the killing of thousands of its inhabitants, from the darkness of oblivion to see the light in the valley of Mr. Sadiq spacious vast and become the province away from Sulaymaniyah more than 80 kilometers to the south. 

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/169097-halabja-state-no-19-erase-the-memory-of-kuwait/#ixzz2palSJAY2

Blame..Blame..Blame..and folks complain and stated they been doing this since day 1.....just ignore facts....seems to me history tells us somebody stood up for Freedom here, in what we call the USA and all over ...no need to talk about History here..ie Paul Revere..the British are coming the British are coming...get the pic... Don't you think it time these folks had a better Life....I do...and maybe one day they might and they might not...go ahead tell me... it doesn't concern us...and what ever excuse you can throw at it...Put yourself in that Life style...Back in the Day...Past Generations stood up for you...and sacrifice made just for you...I'm done ranting here... :peace: and I Thank God Somebody Stood Up....

Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 2

What do we expect from an idiot....

Weeeeellllllllll.....read Rayzur's fantastic post. Then you will answer this question.

For those of you who blame Obama, your answer lies there. Perhaps you should hone your analytical skills...the same ones that told you it was a fight for "freedom" when it all started.

Haha I'm reading this as I am wearing my Operation Iraqi Freedom t-shirt. Couldn't have been better timing.

• Upvote 1

LMAO going to Iraq was never about freeing the oppressed people to instill a falsified democracy.  It was about greed and to stop Saddam from going against the petro dollar. If Saddam would, ave succeeded in only taking Euros the dollar would have been doomed.  Saddam had great influence just like Ghaddafi, hint why they took him out as well because he wanted all the ME countries to follow suit with a gold bar back currency going away from the U.S dollar.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 3

I think you folks need to go back and study your history just a bit...

In the history of Afghanistan, the internal conflict between anti-Communist Muslim guerrillas and the Afghan communist government (aided from 1979 to 1989 by Soviet troops).

The roots of the war lay in the overthrow of the centrist Afghanistan government in April 1978 by left-wing military officers, who then handed power over to two Marxist-Leninist political parties, the Khalq (“Masses”) and Parcham (“Flag”), who together had formed the People’s Democratic Party of Afghanistan. Having little popular support, the new government forged close ties with the Soviet Union, launched ruthless purges of all domestic opposition, and began extensive land and social reforms that were bitterly resented by the devoutly Muslim and largely anti-Communist population.

Muslim tribal-based insurgencies arose against the government, and these uprisings, along with internal fighting and coups between the Khalq and Parcham governmental factions, prompted the invasion of the country by about 30,000 Soviet troops in December 1979 with the aim of propping up the Soviet Union’s new but faltering client state.

The rebellion of the Muslim rebels, or mujahideen (literally, “strugglers”), grew in response, spreading to all parts of the country. The Soviets initially left the suppression of the rebellion to the Afghan army, but the latter was rapidly depleted by mass desertions and remained largely ineffective throughout the war.

The Afghan War quickly settled down into a stalemate, with about 100,000 Soviet troops controlling the cities, large towns, and major garrisons and the mujahideen roaming relatively freely throughout the countryside. The Soviet troops tried to crush the insurgency by various tactics, but the guerrillas generally eluded their attacks.

The Soviets then attempted to eliminate the mujahideen’s civilian support by bombing and depopulating the rural areas. Their tactics sparked a massive flight from the countryside; by 1982 some 2.8 million Afghans had sought asylum in Pakistan, and another 1.5 million had fled to Iran.

The mujahideen were eventually able to neutralize Soviet air power through the use of shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles supplied by the United States. The mujahideen were fragmented politically into a handful of different groups, and their military efforts remained uncoordinated throughout the war.

The quality of their arms and combat organization gradually improved, however, owing to experience and to arms shipments sent by the United States and other countries via Pakistan. In 1988 the United States, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Soviet Union signed an agreement for the withdrawal of Soviet troops and the return of Afghanistan to nonaligned status.

In April 1992, various rebel groups, together with newly rebellious government troops, stormed the besieged capital of Kabul, and the communist president, Mohammad Najibullah, was ousted from power. A new transitional government, sponsored by various rebel factions, proclaimed an Islamic republic. (Encyclopedia Britannica)

U.S. Gov Info Guide Robert Longley blogs today on a just released House International Relations Committee study about possible connections between Al Qaeda and the 1995 Oklahoma City bombings.

The study inquired into whether Timothy McVeigh or Terry Nichols, the bombers of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, "received any help from Middle Easterners." The study concludes: Maybe.

Less uncertain: How much help the U.S. has given to jihadists. Late last week, I wrote about the December anniversary of the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the American funding of the mujahideen, the Muslim warriors who eventually drove out the Soviets, and destabilized the Soviet Union so powerfully that they contributed to the USSR's collapse.

The role the Americans played in funding the "holy warriors'" resistance to the Soviets is reasonably well known, though it isn't so polite to talk about these days. What is far less known is that American funding of the mujahideen began before the Soviet invasion.

One of the few people who does talk about it is Chalmers Johnson, a former naval officer and a Japan and Asia scholar, in Blowback: the Costs and Consequences of American Empire. Since receiving the book as a holiday gift a few days ago, I've been gripped by his thesis that the United States would probably reap the results of its covert operations during the Cold War, if not in the late 1990s, when Blowback was published, then soon. Now that "soon" has become "now," I hope the time has come to start discussing the intricacies of the recent American past in which, in order to win the Cold War at any cost, the U.S. found it worth it to plant the seeds of the next war:

http://terrorism.about.com/b/2007/01/02/al-qaeda-and-the-us-a-longer-relationship-than-we-might-have-thought.htm

The USSR's invasion of Afghanistan was deliberately provoked. In his 1996 memoirs, former CIA director Robert Gates writes that the American intelligence services actually began to aid the mujahudeen guerrillas in Afghanistan not after the Soviet invasion of that country, but six months before it. And in a 1998 interview with the French weekly magazine Le Nouvel Oberservateur,former president Carter's National Security Adviser,"Zbigniew Brzezinski, unambiguously confirmed Gates's assertion.

"According to the official version of history,"Brzezinski told the Nouvel Oberservateur,, "CIA aid to the mujahideen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan on December 24, 1979. But the reality, closely guarded until now, is completely otherwise: Indeed it was July 3, 1979, that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet intervention."

When asked whether he regretted these actions, Brzezinski replied:
"Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trp and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter, essentially: 'We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam War."

Nouvel Observateur: "And neither do you regret having supported Islamic fundamentalism, whih has given arms and advice to future terrorists?"

Brzezinski: "What is more important in world history? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some agitated Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?"

Conflict in Afghanistan (1978–present) and Islamic Unity of Afghanistan Mujahideen

220px-Afghan_Muja_crossing_from_Saohol_S
magnify-clip.png
Mujahideen fighters passing around the Durand Line border in 1985

The best-known mujahideen were the various loosely aligned Afghan opposition groups, which initially rebelled against the government of the pro-Soviet Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (DRA) during the late 1970s. At the DRA's request, the Soviet Union brought forces into the country to aid the government. The mujahideen fought against Soviet and DRA troops during the Soviet War in Afghanistan and were supported by United States' assistance. After the Soviet Union pulled out of the conflict in the late 1980s, the mujahideen fought each other for control in the subsequent Afghan Civil War.[36]

Afghanistan's resistance movement was born in chaos and, at first, virtually all of its war was waged locally by regional warlords. As warfare became more sophisticated, outside support and regional coordination grew. The basic units of mujahideen organization and action continued to reflect the highly decentralized nature of Afghan society and strong loci of competing mujahideen and tribal groups, particularly in isolated areas among the mountains.[37] Eventually, the seven main mujahideen parties allied as the political bloc called Islamic Unity of Afghanistan Mujahideen.

Many Muslims from other countries assisted the various mujahideen groups in Afghanistan. Some groups of these veterans have been significant factors in more recent conflicts in and around the Muslim world. Osama bin Laden, originally from a wealthy family in Saudi Arabia, was a prominent organizer and financier of an all-Arab Islamist group of foreign volunteers; his Maktab al-Khadamat funnelled money, arms, and Muslim fighters from around the Muslim world into Afghanistan, with the assistance and support of the Saudi and Pakistani governments.[38] These foreign fighters became known as "Afghan Arabs" and their efforts were coordinated by Abdullah Yusuf Azzam.

Mujahideen forces caused serious casualties to the Soviet forces, and made the war very costly for the Soviet Union. In 1989, the Soviet Union withdrew its forces from Afghanistan. Many districts and cities then fell to the mujahideen; in 1992 the DRA's last president, Mohammad Najibullah, was overthrown.

However, the mujahideen did not establish a united government, and many of the larger mujahideen groups began to fight each other over power in Kabul. After several years of devastating fighting, a village mullah named Mohammed Omar organized a new armed movement with the backing of Pakistan. This movement became known as the Taliban ("students" in Pashto), referring to the Saudi-backed religious schools known for producing extremism. Veteran mujahideen were confronted by this radical splinter group in 1996.

The term mujahideen is sometimes applied to fighters who joined the insurgency after the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Some groups also use the word mujahideen in their names, like Mujahideen Shura Council and Mujahideen Army.

Following the U.S. invasion of Iraq as part of the George W. Bush administration's post 9/11 foreign policy, many foreign Mujahideen joined several Sunni militant groups resisting the U.S. occupation of Iraq. A considerable part of the insurgents did not come from Iraq but instead from many other Arab countries, notably Jordan and Saudi Arabia. Among these recruits was Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian national who would go on to assume the leadership of Al-Qaeda in Iraq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujahideen

As you can see our policies to police the world have come back to bite us.... It really is too bad that most people who start bashing are the ones who really never know what they are talking about....

B/A

• Upvote 1

We gave IRAQ exactly what they wanted.  They wanted us out so the US left.  We had no reason for going there anyway.  George W Bush. Espically with all of the American Soliders lives that has been lost over someone else bad decision.

Edited by alston82
  • Upvote 2

Yes, but was it because of oil, or was there a good reason like WMD's that were probably smuggled to Siria and Iran, harboring alqueda, killing the Kurds, not letting the weapons inspectors in to check thoroughly,  to name a few.

I think that is a rationalization, respectfully. Most of the world, except for the US far right, acknowledges that Bush mislead us into the war.

Read the Downing Street Memos where he met with Tony Blair and discussed ways to fool the public into the war. Very explicit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Has anyone ever considered that this is just a political ploy?. IMO... I believe this is a Hollywood moment that has put Fallujah in harms way. Then let them fight there way out of this and make a stand against Al-Qaeda

on there own. This makes them a more secure Country!!!  Could actually be good for the investment and the confidence of the Iraqi people!!!! Remember Kadafi. HUMMM!!!~~~~GO RV!!!~~~

If say who ever is arming the rebels in Syria is arming the rebels in Iraq

Obama administration

It like sending weapons to ohio and pretending some won't end up in pennsylvania

Syria would love to see the conflict moved to Iraq again

But hey I still say they should be using stink bombs

To flush them out

Sure the innocent will suffer temporarily but they won't be killed

Just stink up the area really bad till no one is there any more

Make it so the smell attachs itself to their skin for a month or so

Like a real strong skunk smell

Then you can smell them out when they try to hide in the civilians crowds

Everyone will be backing away as they walk down the streets because they stink so bad

The innocent can take a bath in tomato juice

Terrorist try to be sneaky

Well if ever released from prison they need tattooed across their foreheads

Maybe pierce their noses

No more sneaking around

Just bomb the terrorist training camps with stink

Then who ever starts ordering tomato juice in bulk

Follow them

• Upvote 2

Look the US can't save the WORLD!! I blame Iraq because they wanted us to leave so you can't blame Obama or Bush - Iraq was given everything they wanted from US and now they are crying because they did not take care of business.  With all the support that they were giving and still is getting their government still continues to drag their feet and and make excuses.  I am sorry for sounding so harsh but I was told that you can't held anyone who does not wont to help themselves.  It's time for Iraq to put their BIG boy pants on and take care of business - I believe once they begin to take action instead talking/crying many other countires will continue to support them - Just my :twocents: worth....

• Upvote 2

Well its obvious Iraqi propaganda was exposed

Everyone used to fear the Iraqi military and saddam Hussein

Once he was removed and his military capabilities dismantled

Here come the terrorists

They know now that no one will be dropping chemical weapons on them

They know Iraq needs helicopters and can't get them

The things saddam didn't have but used as propaganda scared them away

They didn't know he really didn't have what he said he had

So propaganda is now pretty much shot

They are going to need lots of air support

The drones can find them

But we know they spread out in the civilian population when they take over

And your forced to kill innocents to kill them which I turn turns the civilians to join alkieda against the govt

There's got to be a way to flush them out of cover without killing the human shields

Who ever discovers this method will be rich

I like stink bombs

When someone has been smoking and they walk into a room we can smell it

There's got to be a way to attach some kind of odor even if only detected by a machine of some kind

When they walk into a room or building a silent alarm is set off

Something must be done

Ya don't just kill them because this odor might be attached to an innocent bystander

But if a bunch of terrorists get stunked up

And they split up and head for the next town

And come in contact with one of the sniffing machines they would qualify as a suspect

Maybe use different odors for different assaults so they could be distinguishable

Who knows

We know if ya just bomb them innocents get killed as well

They know it too that's why they hide behind them

It's not an instant kill but maybe an added feature that can be applied for those who are able to get away as they are dressed like common civilians and ya can't tell

Maybe something that if they come in contact with explosives their skin will be stained

Some silent detection weapon of the future

The breadth and depth of Saudi involvement in world affairs has been insidious and yet - our leaders continually ignore the zealous (and well funded) intent of Sunni backed jihadists who look to Iraq for supplying the messiah.  Deep rooted, the dispute continues with Shiite jihadists defending Iraqi cities where the Mahdi (12th Imam) will bless them with his appearance and establish the Caliphate.  This is the Middle East unrest in a nutshell.