Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

It’s Conservatives Who Really Want Christ Out of Christmas

dinar_stud

It’s Conservatives Who Really Want Christ Out of Christmas

They’re terrified America’s tiny number of atheists will change the meaning of the holiday. But conservatives are the ones who are really at war with its message.

The War on Christmas is on! This epic battle pits the forces on the right who demand that we say “Merry Christmas” to everyone regardless of their faith—or lack thereof—against those who prefer to say “Happy Holidays.”

How fierce has this so-called “war” become? Well, Sarah Palin is travelling across the country alerting people that “angry atheists” want to “abort Christ from Christmas.” Palin is like a modern day Paul Revere—you know, the guy Palin told us warned the British in 1775 that the British were about to attack the colonists.

Bill O’Reilly, the “Father Christmas” of the War on Christmas, recently clamoredthat there are dastardly people who want to, “banish any mention of Jesus in the public square.”

And apparently these atheists—who represent about 1.6 percent of our population—are so dangerous that it compelled Texas Governor Rick Perry to enact the “Merry Christmas law” earlier this year to ensure that public school teachers could say “Merry Christmas” without fear of attack.

But here’s the glaring hypocrisy of the right: they want to keep “Christ in Christmas,” but they don’t want to keep Christ’s teachings in the policies they advocate. It’s as if there are two Jesus Christs.  There’s the one in the Bible who advocates helping people in need, especially the poor. And then there’s the Jesus that conservatives worship, whose philosophy is to callously slash programs that help the less fortunate, from food stamps to health insurance to unemployment benefits.

I’m not a religious scholar, but it doesn’t take a Ph.D. in religious studies to comprehend the basic teachings of Jesus. The New Testament is filled with passages where Jesus implores his followers to care for the poor. Arguably the best known is Matthew 25:34-36, where Jesus discussed the importance of helping people in need: “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”

Yet the same people who demand that we keep Christ in Christmas also support cutting programs advance Jesus’s philosophy. We saw that in September when House Republicans voted to slash $40 billion from the food stamps program. If this had become law, it would’ve result in nearly four million Americans being deprived of these desperately needed benefits. So much for the, “I was hungry and you gave me food.”

Despite Jesus words, “I was sick and you took care of me,” conservatives have waged a war to destroy Obamacare which would provide health insurance to millions of Americans who can’t afford coverage. In fact, 20 States with Republican governors and Republican-controlled legislatures have refused to expand Medicaid under Obamacare, making it more challenging if not impossible for the impoverished residents of these States to afford health insurance coverage.

And what would Jesus do about the 1.3 million Americans whose unemployment benefits will end just a few days after Christmas? Well, conservatives apparently believe Jesus would say “no” to any extension. Indeed, Rep. Kevin Cramerrecently cited this passage from the Bible as a reason to slash benefits for the poor: “If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.” Interestingly, during the federal government shutdown in September, Congressman Cramer was the only member of the North Dakota Congressional delegation who didn’t donate his salary to charity.

Here’s the reality: Christmas will be fine, but without our help, the poor won’t be.   Christmas is not in danger of becoming homeless nor concerned about having enough food to eat to be able to concentrate at school or at work.

We rarely hear about the poor in our nation unless they are being demonized by the right as “lazy” or abusing the system. America’s needy are invisible to most of us- including the 16 million children in this country who live in poverty.

Yet the focus of the right’s outrage is when a public school chooses to sing non-religious Christmas songs and opts for more secular ones. Or when a huge nativity scene can’t be constructed on government property. Why isn’t their outrage directed at those who support policies that cause suffering to our most needy fellow Americans? These are the actions that truly contradict Jesus’s teachings.

And not only is supporting these social programs consistent with Jesus’ philosophy, they are good public policy. A recent study found that the social safety net created by President Lyndon Johnson as part of the “war on poverty” has actually reduced poverty over the past 50 years.

Those leading the fight to keep Christ in Christmas need to answer this simple question. What do you think Jesus would care about more: feeding the hungry and caring for the sick or requiring that all Americans say “Merry Christmas” instead of “Happy Holidays”? The answer is clear to anyone who has ever read the Bible.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Stud ( I doubt it), It's fairly clear that you have NO idea what Jesus said or the context in which He said it. For your edification, a simple lesson: Jesus said for individuals and groups of His followers to give to the poor, needy, et.al. Never ONCE did He say that the government should take money from us (taxes) and help those groups......... and IMHO, there are two basic reasons he does not say for our largesse to flow through government: 1.) after the government gets our money, we actually have no idea to whom it goes, nor why, and 2.) governments (coercive by their very nature) force us to give, whereas Jesus  (Himself and through His Apostles) tells us to give freely (amount and instance). 

I certainly appreciate your uses of Scripture, however misguided and non-contextual they may be. Merry Christmas, and God bless.

Edited by eastcreek
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

For me it is a lot more than simply keeping the term Christmas.  For me it is a large portion being sick and tired of the minority who has the loudest mouths being able to force their will on other people.  My pledge to the flag includes 'under God'.  I am not willing to go down without a fight when someone because of their little thinking wants to change the Pledge.  My coins have had for a long time 'in God we trust' and I will not be happy to simply smile while simply minded people want to change what has always been simply because they do not like it.  There has been a Christmas for centuries world wide and now that there are a vocal few the world is to accept that centuries has been wrong or is now outdated simply because a few does not like it.  Growing up we had a Christmas tree because it was a tree around Christmas.  I am not going to accept being forced to change simply because others might be offended.  GET OVER IT!  If you do not like my holiday names deal with it.  I do not and will not accept being forced into changing anything simply because someone gets their panties in a wad.

• Upvote 3

I personally don't believe that either of your two thoughts in your last paragraph are mutually exclusive.  In fact, I feel the two still go hand in hand as they always have.  You obviously have a liberal perspective in your attack on Conservatives.  Most liberals feel that "their" ideal has the exclusive corner on taking care of the masses, primarily by knowing what's best for people.  I've watched it for decades, tracking the PC movement as far back as the 50's and 60's.  I've watched the ground swell of new participants in Welfare under this President.  But I also watched how in the 80's a new perspective came out of Washington that led in great employment gains while watching social program funding steadily declined in American participation. 

The cure to your complaints that are about real issues is NOT government stepping in and taking over the lives of economically challenged people.  The cure is to allow the amazingly effective charities, churches, local and regional food banks and family services entities to continue to do exactly what they are doing now, and to find new ways for the government to facilitate these programs to further provide such services much more effectively than any government can do. 

Regarding Obamacare:  probably the largest and most costly and financially ineffective government program of this generation, has been caste by this Administration as the answer to healthcare.  But again and again it is proving to be the beginning of the death of healthcare.  What Obamacare is is the federal government taking over the FINANCING of healthcare.  And doing so in the way that is already proving truthful means that healthcare as we know it will not be nearly as good as it has been over the next few years.  I've been in healthcare for 23 years with hundreds of doctors as clients.  Every one of them that I've spoken to is looking for ways to get out of healthcare, because the federal government is already ruining what they so passionately do.  To be honest, the federal government would have been much more successful in fixing healthcare FINANCING (which is the only problem with the system, not healthcare itself) by taking the money it is putting into Obamacare, creating legislation to simply purchase every uninsured American that cannot afford health insurance and wants health insurance (means tested) a commercial insurance policy, made each policy portable and with no pre-existing conditions, then put every healthcare provider in the nation on the same fee schedule as Medicare providers are paid for their services, guaranteeing doctors and hospitals they'd get paid according to that fee schedule no later than 45 days after bills are submitted.  It would cost the taxpayers less money and there'd be NO people who fall through the cracks and NO doctors leaving healthcare, AND everyone would have insurance.  But no, Obama wants to control the financing of healthcare.  And because that's driving this boat, there will still be millions of uninsured Americans under Obamacare.

Liberals have it simply:  oppose them in any way in any thing, and you're a biggot, a racist, an elitist.  NO conservative can possibly have a heart for others.  And the poor are too stupid to take care of themselves and need liberals to do it. 

Jesus never mandated the government to take care of the poor, clothe the naked, or feed the hungry.  He mandated that WE do that -- people, not government.  The only two things government do better than private people are running military and building infrastructure.

I'm sure dinar_stud, you'll probably relegate me to being a member of one of the classes above used to pigeon hole conservatives, but the premise of your  post is baseless.  Judging who gives and who takes care of the poor should never be a government job, task, or right.  And taking shots at conservatives who think it's important to have "Merry Christmas" in greetings this time of year is so ridiculous, it's almost funny.  But it's REALLY sad.  It IS Christmas.....it IS Hanukkah.....it IS whatever holidays fall during this or any other time of the year is applicable.  What Palin and others are so upset about is that the PC Owners take it upon themselves to PREVENT these greetings, because they do not fit the liberals' definition of "Politically Correct."  That's how stupid this has become.  And trying to confuse that with somehow painting conservatives as uncaring of the poor and needy is as stupid as trying to prevent Merry Christmas salutations.

dinar_stud:  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Edited by Big Newby
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You say potato.....I say potahto.  Happy Christmas.....Merry Holidays.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

You say tomato I say 

mater

yep  I guess its all a matter of perspective.

kinda like Einstein `s theory of relativity which basically means "never loan a relative money"   

• Upvote 3

Nice "middle of the road" article. It's always good to see someone post without an agenda and provide multiple points of view. Oh wait this is neither and its from DinarStud.........................................nevermind

Not to worry, caz.....Yota or the like will be here shortly to post a completely biased conservative perspective article...........and all will be right with the world.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bless your Heart!!! You are so confused.

Christians aren't demanding you to say Merry Christmas. We are simply saying you have no right to tell us, we can't!

It is well documented in court case after court case how Atheist groups are trying to strip any reference or symbol of Christ out of Christmas! (Sarah Palin and Bill O'Reilly are right!)

Don't Mess with Texas!

These policies that you mentioned are nothing but enabling tools that continue to enslave the weakest and most unfortunate of our population by use of governmental control and a defeatist mindset.

The reality is that Christians are among the most Charitable people in the world. Their outreach encompasses the poor, the homeless, the sick even the incarcerated.

Political incorrectness is out of control.

President Lyndon Johnson was arguably the worst President of all time.

Christians once again aren't about requiring you to say Merry Christmas.You can say anything you like just don't try to take away our rights to worship and celebrate that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"!

Merry Christmas!

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

AMAZING! Now we have a person who has admitted that he/she is an atheist

Thereby confessing that they absolutely do not have the direction of the Holy Spirit

attempting to tell those who do follow the Holy Spirit what Christ Not only said but

His meaning. EVERY government from the beginning of time has either been

Corrupt or been corrupted. So let me give our atheist some more scripture.

"God is light. In him there is no darkness". Jesus intended his children of light

To feed the hungry, and clothe the poor. Furthermore, a relationship with God

ONLY comes through a personal experience. A one on one deal if you will.

Lucifer, however, has a long history of using governments to reach his goal.

REMEMBER, If you're not serving God, then you ARE serving Lucifer. Just because you

say you don't believe doesn't change that fact.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

AMAZING! Now we have a person who has admitted that he/she is an atheist

Thereby confessing that they absolutely do not have the direction of the Holy Spirit

attempting to tell those who do follow the Holy Spirit what Christ Not only said but

His meaning. EVERY government from the beginning of time has either been

Corrupt or been corrupted. So let me give our atheist some more scripture.

"God is light. In him there is no darkness". Jesus intended his children of light

To feed the hungry, and clothe the poor. Furthermore, a relationship with God

ONLY comes through a personal experience. A one on one deal if you will.

Lucifer, however, has a long history of using governments to reach his goal.

REMEMBER, If you're not serving God, then you ARE serving Lucifer. Just because you

say you don't believe doesn't change that fact.

Are you talking about a DV member or the unnamed person(s) of the article?  Who's the atheist?   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

Shabs,

LOL maybe so. The problem here is that DinarStud has told me in the past that he/she is  "middle of the road" when it comes to politics, but never seems to get out of the lefthand lane when posting.  Merry Christmas!

True that.  Heck, I'm a hundred times more "middle of the road" than him........and I'm hugging the white line along the left hand berm.    :eyebrows:   Stud does keep everybody on their toes, though.   :lol: 

GO RV, then BV

I was referring to the author of the article. And that person only.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification, LGD......I thought I missed something.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

Go Stud.

Doing a good job. It has nothing to do with scriptures, or saying merry christmas-

it has to do with hypocrisy, as you say - and no one seems to hear.

You are pointing out many Christians are not very Christ like. How many times has that been pointed out and by how many? Countless times. And what happens?

They quote scripture, or rail against government. They are good at both. But that isn't the point.

• Downvote 4

Regardless how someone wants to believe, that is their right and I will defend their right to believe as they choose.  I will get my hackles up if someone tries to tell me how to believe.  This is where the problem has come.  These groups because now they are getting offended are telling the rest of the world or nation how to believe, act, and think.  If I went into a Muslim country just how long would I last if I tried telling them that their dag burn nosy prayer call is disturbing my sleep.  We have ways of doing things in this country that has roots in many generations and they are not going to change simply because it bothers someone.  If it bothers you deal with it and stop whining.

Wasn't it the godless heathen liberals who had to take a vote at their last convention on whether or not to say a prayer or God or something like that?  And the vote was very very close?  The only plus was most the people in attendance didn't have to take off work to go, welfare kept right on a coming!! <_<

Heck I'm surprised O didn't throw down a prayer rug and try and find the sun! :rolleyes: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxA_ZzPZleI

Nope I think I'll stick to the tea, you know those crazies that want the government to follow all the BS rules they put on us and obey the constitution which was put together by a bunch of folks much smarter then any in office now.  God, guns, and babies, yep that's me to a TEA!

• Upvote 2

Bless your Heart!!! You are so confused.

Christians aren't demanding you to say Merry Christmas. We are simply saying you have no right to tell us, we can't!

It is well documented in court case after court case how Atheist groups are trying to strip any reference or symbol of Christ out of Christmas! (Sarah Palin and Bill O'Reilly are right!)

Don't Mess with Texas!

These policies that you mentioned are nothing but enabling tools that continue to enslave the weakest and most unfortunate of our population by use of governmental control and a defeatist mindset.

The reality is that Christians are among the most Charitable people in the world. Their outreach encompasses the poor, the homeless, the sick even the incarcerated.

Political incorrectness is out of control.

President Lyndon Johnson was arguably the worst President of all time.

Christians once again aren't about requiring you to say Merry Christmas.You can say anything you like just don't try to take away our rights to worship and celebrate that "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"!

Merry Christmas!

Well said!  :twothumbs:   Unfortunately its the liberal squeaky wheels trying to shove all their BS down our throats.  I think they know in their minds they are wrong so the guilt is what makes them try and force their wills upon us instead of changing their own ways.  Why else would they try so hard and be so vocal about enforcing their sick, disgusting, beliefs on everyone else?  When was the last time you seen straights doing a straight pride march?  How about churches trying to force non believers to pray in school?  What would happen if we had an all white college or white history month?  Wouldn't want someone to get their feelings hurt.  How dare we say Santa was white, :o  it's offensive!  Can't let kids keep score in games at school, little DinarStud might get his feelings hurt that he's a loser then need tax paid therapy to convince him it's everyone else's fault.  Keep on rewarding mediocrity and then eventually no one will try.  If you libs here find what I'm saying offensive, GOOD! :twothumbs:   My job is done!  I'm offended I have to share the same air as the lib, entitlement, whiny, egostroking, gun gungrabbing, God hating, baby killing, America despising, business destroying, won't go to work cuz they been edjumicated, I want this, I want that, and I want it free and I want it now crowd..........................Hmmm I just summed up the Dem/Lib party nicely!!   :cigar:  :moon-from-car:   Now pucker up! :lol:  :lol:  :D

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 4

Well said!  :twothumbs:   Unfortunately its the liberal squeaky wheels trying to shove all their BS down our throats.  I think they know in their minds they are wrong so the guilt is what makes them try and force their wills upon us instead of changing their own ways.  Why else would they try so hard and be so vocal about enforcing their sick, disgusting, beliefs on everyone else?  When was the last time you seen straights doing a straight pride march?  How about churches trying to force non believers to pray in school?  What would happen if we had an all white college or white history month?  Wouldn't want someone to get their feelings hurt.  How dare we say Santa was white, :o  it's offensive!  Can't let kids keep score in games at school, little DinarStud might get his feelings hurt that he's a loser then need tax paid therapy to convince him it's everyone else's fault.  Keep on rewarding mediocrity and then eventually no one will try.  If you libs here find what I'm saying offensive, GOOD! :twothumbs:   My job is done!  I'm offended I have to share the same air as the lib, entitlement, whiny, egostroking, gun gungrabbing, God hating, baby killing, America despising, business destroying, won't go to work cuz they been edjumicated, I want this, I want that, and I want it free and I want it now crowd..........................Hmmm I just summed up the Dem/Lib party nicely!!   :cigar:  :moon-from-car:   Now pucker up! :lol:  :lol:  :D

and that goes double for me.  :bravo:

• Upvote 2

There is a war going on but the average America is not paying attention.

Money - thats what makes things happen in the good old US of A.

Atheists are spending money to change America into their vision regardless of the fact that we were founded on the Christian Faith.

LBGT (***'s) are spending money changing America into their vision, again, regardless of the fact that we were founded on the Christian Faith.

Our religious leaders are too busy stuffing money into their pockets, and trying to figure out how to get more, rather than fighting the good fight. These days the ONLY time you hear from our religious leaders is if they feel they can gardner attention/media coverage over a civil rights issue.

America needs a return to good old Christain values, but it does seem that all the religious leaders we have now only concern themselves with money/TV coverage/video sales.

Sad days in America are happening now....................................................:(

• Upvote 3

There is a war going on but the average America is not paying attention.

Money - thats what makes things happen in the good old US of A.

Atheists are spending money to change America into their vision regardless of the fact that we were founded on the Christian Faith.

LBGT (***'s) are spending money changing America into their vision, again, regardless of the fact that we were founded on the Christian Faith.

Our religious leaders are too busy stuffing money into their pockets, and trying to figure out how to get more, rather than fighting the good fight. These days the ONLY time you hear from our religious leaders is if they feel they can gardner attention/media coverage over a civil rights issue.

America needs a return to good old Christain values, but it does seem that all the religious leaders we have now only concern themselves with money/TV coverage/video sales.

Sad days in America are happening now.................................................... :(

Yeah you got that one right gym. well said