Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Just a FYI thing for the post RV minded.

I got this emailed to me today and thought it was interesting. Enjoy.

You are receiving this e-mail because you subscribed to International Living's Postcards.

International Living Postcards—your daily escape

Dear International Living Reader,

It's official—Belize is one of the easiest places to retire (according to a recent issue of International Living magazine). It's English-speaking, has a low cost of living, and no taxes. And it's in the Caribbean.

In fact, it's probably the last place where you can still get affordable Caribbean real estate.

Dan Prescher, back from a research trip to Belize's coast and islands, shares what he discovered below.

Erica Mills
Managing Editor, IL Postcards

P.S. International Living recently commissioned a report about the "coupon book" that reveals government-sponsored discounts on everything from health care to air travel to restaurants and more. You can read our findings here.

Caribbean Paradise: The Easiest Country in Central America
By Dan Prescher

Belize is one politically stable little Central American country that makes it easy – whether you're looking for an escape a few months a year or a full-time getaway.

It's easy to enjoy yourself here. With miles of tropical coastline, the second-longest barrier reef on earth, some of the best diving and snorkeling on the planet, lush forests and mountains, immense natural preserves, vast river and cave systems, and a wealth of important Mayan archeological sites, there is always something to do in Belize.

The fact that it's affordable only sweetens the deal.

On the island of Ambergris Caye, for instance, an air-conditioned, two-bedroom, one-bathroom 900-square-foot house near the main village of San Pedro costs just $135,000. A mile and a half south of the village at Royal Palm Villas, one-bedroom ocean-side condos with 24-hour security, pool, and air-conditioning list for $149,000.

(For the sake of comparison: You'll pay more than $800,000 for a fairly average condo in Bermuda...and more than $600,000 for something similar in St. John on the U.S. Virgin Islands. )

Formerly British Honduras, Belize is a true Caribbean paradise. And it offers several important pluses for anybody looking to ease into a move abroad.

First, English is the national language. You'll be talking to store keepers, real estate agents, taxi drivers, bank tellers, and waiters in a language you already understand. Even more importantly, any contract you enter into if you decide to rent a place or purchase a home will be written in English, which just simplifies your life.

Second, the Belize dollar is pegged to the U.S. dollar at two-to-one, and the U.S. dollar is commonly accepted in Belize. That means no tricky currency conversions to deal with.

Third, the tax situation in Belize is easy to manage. No taxes on foreign-derived income. No capital gains tax. No corporate tax. No inheritance tax. Simple.

Fourth, the population of Belize is a little over 300,000. That's not the population of the largest city in Belize...that's the entire country. And Belize is only 180 miles long and 68 miles wide. What that means is that it's easy to find the people, offices and resources you need to get things done.

Fifth, Belize has its Qualified Retirement Program, and you don't have to be retired to take advantage of it. If you're at least 45 years old and have a monthly income of at least $2,000 from a pension or annuity (including Social Security), you can qualify. This allows you to bring all your personal goods to Belize tax-free.

About the Author: Dan Prescher has been writing for International Living since 2001, when he and his wife, Suzan Haskins, left Omaha,Nebraska in search of adventure and warmer climes. Today they travel frequently to Belize and beyond but spend part of the year based in Cotacachi, Ecuador.

• Upvote 5

AFTER the RV, I will be interested. :)

Me too......Infact I'd like to check both Belize and Ecuador... Also Panama and Costa Rica.....

Central & South America have lots of great places to pick from anyway.

And let's not forget Southern Europe, namely Spain & Portugal......Many beautiful spots there too ( mainland & islands).

NY Kevin.... Thanks for the article.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

Belieze has been on my radar for many years. Other places in mind as well out there. Good onya for the Belieze tip for those uninitiated to foreign travel and investment.

Only problem is a lot more folks thru the years now know about Belieze. Before to long it might resemble Ft. Lauderdale. Might be fun for some.

We'll see, if thats the case, by now and sell HIGH when everyone wants in.

• Upvote 1

Belieze has been on my radar for many years. Other places in mind as well out there. Good onya for the Belieze tip for those uninitiated to foreign travel and investment.

Only problem is a lot more folks thru the years now know about Belieze. Before to long it might resemble Ft. Lauderdale. Might be fun for some.

We'll see, if thats the case, by now and sell HIGH when everyone wants in.

• Upvote 1

The only thing that I dont like about Belize is that it is smack in the way of hurricanes. First find out how many times they get hit with one every year and then re-evaluate your decision. Costa Rica is very nice and has a lot of americans now living there. Which makes one feel more at home. English is being spoken more and more.

• Upvote 2

The only thing that I dont like about Belize is that it is smack in the way of hurricanes. First find out how many times they get hit with one every year and then re-evaluate your decision. Costa Rica is very nice and has a lot of americans now living there. Which makes one feel more at home. English is being spoken more and more.

I've never experienced a hurricane, but have survived two bad floods while in Nashville. Location, properly built construction, and using common sense can go a long way IMO!!!

Thanks for the informative article NY Kevin!!!

I've never experienced a hurricane, but have survived two bad floods while in Nashville. Location, properly built construction, and using common sense can go a long way IMO!!!

Thanks for the informative article NY Kevin!!!

Rod... I' ve never experienced anything particularly bad weather-wise except the huge flood caused by super heavy rains which hit many parts of Italy in 1966 ( my city Trento was flooded and also many other places including Florence).....

I recall ( I was 9 yrs old) being kinda glad for not having to go to school for 3 days......

Years later ( 1980-81) I faced my first ( and last  so far thank God) tornado in Bloomington, Indiana and that was very scary indeed.......

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

At the end of Sept of this year my Wife and I was on a Cruise that ported in Belize City. I must say that I was not inpressed at all there. I told my wife I had heard so many good things about the area and may be very nice out in the rural part of Belize but in the city it was the dirtyest and nastyest place I have every been. People on the streets selling drugs an beging for money an everything else.Like I said out in the rural areas may be  nice and a good place to retire, but you can have Belize City. I felt like I had to watch my back at all times...may be just me...

• Upvote 2

At the end of Sept of this year my Wife and I was on a Cruise that ported in Belize City. I must say that I was not inpressed at all there. I told my wife I had heard so many good things about the area and may be very nice out in the rural part of Belize but in the city it was the dirtyest and nastyest place I have every been. People on the streets selling drugs an beging for money an everything else.Like I said out in the rural areas may be  nice and a good place to retire, but you can have Belize City. I felt like I had to watch my back at all times...may be just me...

Though I can't claim to be a "world traveler"...I think it's wise to experience a new area or country with a knowledgable friend or guide. We had gotten off the beaten path in the Bahamas and realized quickly we had better "get outta Dodge" and quick!!! Not many places in the world are as clean and sanitary as most places in North America ...that said...most large cities have their dirty parts of town, and street smarts are definitely a valuable asset (not easy for a country lover like me). I could say I've seen some of the best...and worst spots right where I live...but I have a pet peeve about folks throwing trash along the road of some awesome scenery. I'm willing to give Belize a shot...esp. If it's in the middle of winter here!!! ;o)

Belize is a dirty place just like Costa Rica.  They hype it up to be all glitz and glamour and tropical but violence and poverty soon follow places like that with minimal security  but i have had friends travel to BOTH housing is cheap and cheap is what you get as far as a country.  Be wise when traveling. Remember we are still a first world country in the United states so when you go to 2nd and 3rd world countries dont expect it to be anything like the states or Canada.  My advice if you wanna see beautiful places hit up Europe and travel through there.  I also want to go to Italy.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 2