Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Mtn.Goat Addresses Misinformation & Rumors - TNT - 1 Dec 2013

Mtn.Goat Addresses Misinformation & Rumors - 12/01/2013 

By GeorgeH at TNT Forum

Hi all, Wanted to pass on to all you fine dinarians mnt goat's latest news of today 12/1.   GeorgeH 

Mountain Goat: Hi Everyone,

Want to thank everyone for all the 100s of heartfelt emails wishing me and my familie a great holiday season. As you know we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving like the USA. It is not a national holiday in Germany. Nonetheless we did enjoy the day and yes we did cook a nice dinner yesterday consisting of foul and all the fixings but it was not turkey. 

I thought it now would be a good time to talk now about some recent news on the revaluation of the Iraq dinar. Also there are many rumors about that are just not correct and I do not understand why some “intel providers” do not check more closely and use some old fashioned, common sense prior to posting such nonsense. These people are being irresponsible and should be banned from providing intel if it were up to me.

Misinformation/Rumors

My intent now is not to bash other intel providers, or to make myself sound all high and mighty but maybe to awaken them to realize some send the entire dinar community on a spin with all the unnecessary hype over such unverified rumors and misinformation. Are you only looking for fame or are you really sincere in helping unravel this revaluation process? 

Such nonsense only makes the job of those good intel providers who want to really help and assist in this matter much harder. Do you really want to get involved in such rumors? It does not even make sense to state them on a post or conference call and then claim they are only “rumors”. Do we all want to listen to such rumors?  Personally I want the facts, only the facts. If you have a rumor that sounds logical are going to further research and get back to us? 

If so then I would accept such information but I would expect you to kindly tell us it’s a rumor, why it could be true, then finish what you have started and do your homework.  Then go and do your diligence and report back to us. 

That is a responsible “intel provider”. Otherwise fade away and leave us all alone. We do not have time or patience for such nonsense. 

At this stage of the process all newbies should please find a good source for Dinar 101 and read it. Why did you buy dinar anyhow if you did not even know the facts about this investment?  Are you foolish?  Are you going to repeat this behavior after you have millions in the bank post RV?  Maybe this investment is not for you? 

Here are some recent rumors that need to be put to rest and I'd like to do it now. 

Hedge funds are now buying into IQD- how can this be when the IQD is still a speculative currency and it is illegal to speculate using other peoples investment funds? It will remain a speculative currency until we see it activated at the banks. Don’t buy into this disinformation. It is meant to get you all hyped up and then you are only let down later. 

Maliki is no longer prime minister - totally ridiculous but a hint of truth to it. He still remains and will remain PM until the 2014 elections. He in fact plans to run for a 3rd term for prime minister. Remember something important – Erbil Agreement is now activated and this means Maliki simply steps back and no longer controls the defense, security and interior ministries. They appointed permanent ministers This does not mean he is no longer prime minister. 

His wings have just been clipped. Remember also this was supposed to happen in early 2011 anyhow and was delayed when the USA decided to use Maliki as their patsy to do their dirty work in the government and hold up the RV as long as they could until the IMF and UST were ready to push out the GCR. 

They are now ready. I have talked about this in many of my past emails and posts too. Yet another sign we are very close to activation.  

Using USD to purchase Iraq Bonds – foolish again. Stated Dec 1st new Iraq banking laws - USD is no longer a legal tender in all Iraq banking transactions. These middle east countries do not want to use USD any longer.  If you wanted to purchase these bonds in Iraq you could and would  do so by converting your USD to IQD at the new RV rate. 

We also do not need their currency  to go international for them to begin conducting business on these bonds, unless they plan to price these bonds and sell themexclusively on the international bond markets. So be careful what you are reading. As I stated in prior emails, Iraq has had an in-country RV already and the initial rate was $3.44. It has since climbed and is now over $4.00. 

The CBI site must first reflect the new revalued rate prior to the currency going international – this is totally false. I never said this. What I said is look for the new CBI site to come up with the new rates on or approximately around the same time when the rate goes live international. 

Remember the other 190+ countries rates are also changing and so none of the new GCR rates can go public until the entire GCR group is activated. 

Global Currency Reset (GCR) is an IMF term widely used by the IMF and CBI – totally false. This is a term made up solely by dinar intel providers in 2011 when it was decided to hold up the IQD revaluation, group global currencies and have them revalue or devalue as needed to balance out or reset the global economies of the world. 

So do not expect to read or listen to IMF or CBI sources or other politicians use this terminology. It does not mean the “GCR” is not real and is not going to happen. It is real and is very late in it’s initial planned activation already. It is planned to be activated very soon. 

Challenging the NDA will prevent you from signing it. You may still exchange your IQN, VNN or other currencies at the bank or via private exchangers– totally false again. Personally I wish everyone would just totally drop the subject of the NDA, and stop talking about it. It is now a dead issue. 

We all put this through  the ringer already and its dead ! I see someone once again did not believe this info so they had to call Sterling Dinar Trader to verify. They were told they knew nothing about providing it. So what did this accomplish? I will tell you. 

First maybe Sterling was missed by the UST and never received the NDA as of yet or maybe will never get the NDA to have you sign it?  If you exchanged and kept this fact quite maybe you would not have had to sign one? Now because of your BIG MOUTH  I am sure the UST will stock them up with plenty of NDA and force everyone to sign them. 

Again just something that you got all hyped up and you are your worst enemy…yesYou!  Who is pumping this hype anyhow? Could it be this group NASARA?  There is nothing you nor I can do but sign it and keep our big mouths shut afterwards… PERIOD!   We all have big mouths including me. I luv to brag. 

Recent Iranian Treaties are holding up the activation- again totally false and just rumor. If you would use your common sense you can see how, if nothing else, this would force the activation must sooner. We did not have to wait for this to happen. This only effects the back end of the RV in the brokerage of the oil. 

Do I believe the US strong armed Iran for a reason years ago and used the embargo to their advantage to get these lucrative oil contracts with other countries? – yes of course! Again lets put on our thinking caps….think…think…think…All these oil credits from our exchange will be used for this purpose.

Like I said in many of my last post this is a very lucrative deal for the USA. Why not? The USA risks may of your brave men and women to free Iraq from Saddam and fight these terrorists. There is always some payback from each war. 

The VNN is also USA payback (a bit on the late side) for Vietnam conflict and this is why there is also such an increase in their currency for the GCR. 

Having said all this now that these oil contracts are done it is time to open Iranian oil back up to the world. It is really as simple as that. This is why we are now seeing all these agreements with Iran and this is also why I feel this is yet another sign to us that our activation is sooo close at hand

Todays News

Yesterday I called my IMF source to verify all was still on still on track.

I was told any technical issues are now resolved in the UST and they need and want to pop this activation now. 

I know from another source that this is just a cover story for what is going on behind the scenes. 

Iraq implements (is now effective) on is strictest banking laws in the history of Iraq today. Did you hear me?  I said now!  This is of course IMF speaking not the UST. I have many indicators that they cannot hold off on the activation much longer. I mentioned a couple above already. 

Iraq is also now scheduled to be audited (or reviewed) by the IMF for ascension in the WTO on December 29th of this year. One of the criteria is to have an internationally traded currency. They have until this date. Iraq is putting extreme pressure on the USA to activate but remember they can’t bark too loud since this last delay was at their request.

So today is Sunday December 1st and I have to apologize for I said December 1st was Monday in my last email. Anyhow it does not make too much difference since we only needed to cross this new threshold to be once again in a prime spot to get the activation. 

I really hate to say this again but what I was told is look for the activation in the window of Thursday thru Sunday of this week. There are reasons for this timeframe consistently and I am told not to broadcast the reasons as it is sensitive info. I will when I am told I can. 

I sincerely hope this is our exchange week whether it is earlier in the week or in the  Thurs – Sunday window I have been given. Sooner than later would of course be better.   

Peace and Luv to ya,   

mnt goat

Hi DinarVets, here's Mtn.Goat again .... But she addresses misinformation & rumors published on the numerous forums. She's a bit toned down, and tries to give perspective to some of the unproven claims scattered around on various forums that are upsetting people and causing confusion & uncertainty. Read if interested ... eat the meat & spit out the bones...! Be blessed everyone - I like the following statement:

RON  :tiphat: 

Iraq is also now scheduled to be audited (or reviewed) by the IMF for ascension in the WTO on December 29th of this year. One of the criteria is to have an internationally traded currency.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Mountain Goat: As I stated in prior emails, Iraq has had an in-country RV already and the initial rate was $3.44. It has since climbed and is now over $4.00. 

Mtn Goat Is A 3rd Rate Pumper At Best ! <_<

And If U Like Ur Goat - U Can Keep Ur Goat ! :o

:D        :D      :D

Thx For The Comedy + The Livestock Ron ! ;)

B)      B)
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ron the statement you cited:    Iraq is also now scheduled to be audited (or reviewed) by the IMF for ascension in the WTO on December 29th of this year. One of the criteria is to have an internationally traded currency.

is of course an exciting consideration if true...so the main question is :  What documentation is out there which would support such a statement ?? Link ???.....UN Article ???  news article....If you or anyone in the DV audience knows of such IMHO that woud be huge.....without it...another wild speculation at best....

Thanks Ron

• Upvote 2

This goat has been GOT!

I just CAN'T take someone seriously who has tried to deflect and pass off their lies for every reason under the sun except for the truth which is, that they are either deliberately attempting to deceive others for their own gain or the people they are getting their "INFO" from are feeding them complete and constant BS... and if the latter is the case, then the "GURU" should give up their status because if they can't even figure out that they are being lied to then what the crap gives them the right to give themselves this title in the first place? They know NOTHING!

• Upvote 1

A recent WTO document says otherwise you old goat !!!

Check out a November 1st, 2013  WTO Report on the status of Accessions

https://docs.wto.org/dol2fe/Pages/FE_Search/FE_S_S009-DP.aspx?language=E&CatalogueIdList=120511,113639,108345,90024,89588&CurrentCatalogueIdIndex=0&FullTextSearch=

2013 ANNUAL REPORT BY THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL

TABLE OF CONTENTS

III. STATE-OF-PLAY IN ACCESSION WORKING PARTIES 10

IV. LEAST-DEVELOPED COUNTRIES' ACCESSIONS 14

V. WTO ACCESSIONS - TRANSPARENCY COMMITMENTS AND COMPLIANCE WITH NOTIFICATION OBLIGATIONS BY ARTICLE XII MEMBERS 15

1 INTRODUCTION 15

2 WTO PUBLICATION AND NOTIFICATION OBLIGATIONS 16

2.1 WTO legal basis, rules and procedures 16

2.2 Monitoring and Surveillance 17

3 ACCESSION NEGOTIATIONS AND WTO NOTIFICATION AND PUBLICATION REQUIREMENTS 18

3.1 Specific commitments undertaken in Article XII accession negotiations 18

3.2 Article XII accession process as preparatory for WTO Membership 20

4 ARTICLE XII MEMBERS' COMPLIANCE WITH WTO NOTIFICATION OBLIGATIONS 21

5 CONCLUSIONS 23

VI. TRADE AND ECONOMIC PERFORMANCE OF ARTICLE XII MEMBERS 23

VII. CONCLUSIONS - OUTLOOK 2014 24

ANNEX 1 - ACCESSIONS DIVISION WORK INDICATORS 27

ANNEX 2 - ACCESSIONS NEGOTIATED PURSUANT TO ARTICLE XII 28

ANNEX 3 - WTO ACCESSIONS WORKING PARTY (WP) CHAIRPERSONS 29

ANNEX 4 - SECTION V-DATA ON TRANSPARENCY 30

ANNEX 5 - SECTION VI-DATA ON ECONOMIC PERFORMANCE 34

ANNEX 6 - ACCESSIONS MANAGEMENT 35

I. INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW

1. This is the Fifth Annual Report on WTO Accessions and my first as Director-General. Although the Organization has not moved as fast as planned, progress this year was steady and largely technical, setting the stage to further advance in 2014. This year, the accession of Yemen was concluded. Technical work on several was advanced to their final stages. Transparency and outreach were enhanced. The Informal Group on Accessions improved its play as a "facilitator" in the systemic coordination of work on accessions. Work on the "Accessions Toolbox" (ATB) was refined, upgraded and advanced.

2. As I stated at the opening of the Global Seminar on WTO Accessions on 23 September, "WTO Accession is a strategic priority for the Organization". This is why I have given support to the long overdue process of stock-taking of the considerable acquis that have resulted from 31 completed accessions. As an Organization, we need to ascertain the best practices and lessons from completed accessions. Accessions results have contributed to the rules, improved market access, provided an instrument to assist domestic reforms and fostered broader international cooperation. Improved understanding of these effects should provide useful perspectives to questions regarding the WTO and its future. In a complex international environment, our expectations should be realistic and sober. Progress on accessions reflects the challenges and sensitivities of rapid, significant and uncertain changes in the global political economy. I am confident that the Secretariat will continue to provide solid technical support and work with Members to both support the aspirations of acceding governments and ensure that the rules-based Multilateral Trading System is safeguarded and strengthened.

3. The fundamental purpose of these Annual Reports is to inform Members of accession-related developments. These reports also monitor how accession results and the performance of Article XII Members are contributing to safeguarding, consolidating and strengthening the WTO. This is why annual reporting on operational developments is combined with a thematic focus. The thematic focus this year is on the systemic obligation of transparency and its implementation. Section V reviews specific transparency commitments, compliance with notification obligations by Article XII Members and, compares these to the compliance of original Members. The transparency obligation is one of the pillars of the rules-based Multilateral Trading System. It is necessary for the functioning of the system because it creates predictability, confidence, directs the floodlights of an open trading system on the latest and less detectable forms of protectionism, and is a companion to WTO Dispute Settlement. This year's review shows that the range of transparency commitments of Article XII Members has exceeded those of original Members. Compared, on implementation, Article XII Members have had a consistently higher average notification rate than original Members. On average, Article XII Members submitted between 5 to 11 more notifications annually, compared to an original Member. This has improved the Membership's overall compliance rate with WTO notification requirements. As a consequence, transparency commitments in Accession Protocols have reinforced and enhanced existing transparency requirements under the WTO Agreement. In sum, accession process and results have contributed to the overall drive of the WTO to enhance systemic transparency and ensure stability, security and predictability.

4. After the most recent accessions, there are 23 Working Parties (WPs), of which approximately 13 are active. On the substance of these WPs, last September, the Working Party on the Accession of Yemen concluded its work. The Report of the Working Party was adopted ad referendum. The formal decision on the terms of membership will be taken by Members at the Ninth Ministerial Conference in Bali. Significant technical work has been undertaken on several. The WPs on the Accessions of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kazakhstan have advanced to their final stages. On the Accession of Kazakhstan, a major challenge is the question of tariff adjustment and associated compensation. This question is rooted in the differences between the tariff concessions by Kazakhstan in its Consolidated Draft Goods Schedule, the Goods Schedule of the Russian Federation and the Common External Tariff (CET) of the Customs Union (CU) . This tariff question is complex and unique; the system has never addressed a similar situation before. Next year, different approaches will be explored and taken forward to find a solution.

5. Technical work was significantly advanced on the Accessions of Afghanistan, The Bahamas and Seychelles. These accessions are entering into decisive stages and will be in technical focus in 2014, as reflected in the Evolving Calendar of Accessions Meetings (ECAM) .

6. The combination of technical assistance and outreach by the Secretariat are key in supporting Members and Acceding Governments in their negotiations; and improving understanding of the meaning of the effects and results from accessions for the future of the Organization. This is why we have maintained the "dialogue" in the annual outreach cycle with WTO regional groups and different coalitions. I intend to take this dialogue further and deeper in 2014, as part of the regular work of the Organization. In this regard, the contributions of Working Party Chairpersons are vital. Their efforts have been instrumental in working with Acceding Governments to explain and encourage and provide good offices to resolve difficulties in bilateral negotiations, when the relevant parties request such assistance.

7. We have gained accelerated traction on accession-specific technical assistance. This has been due, in large part, to specialized programmes and activities by several Members, including Australia, Brazil, China, the European Union (EU) and its individual member states, India and the United States (US) . I would like to convey my sincere appreciation to these Members and others and urge them to sustain the momentum in 2014.

8. This is my first Annual Report on Accessions. I would like to re-iterate that it is a strategic priority for me as Director-General. I invite Members to review and comment on the contents of this report. I reaffirm my full commitment, in coordination with Members, to continue working with the Secretariat to upgrade and improve on our delivery to the entire Membership.

III. STATE-OF-PLAY IN ACCESSION WORKING PARTIES

42. WTO accessions advance on the basis of interdependent tracks of multilateral, plurilateral and bilateral negotiations. In the period under review, the Accession of Yemen was concluded. While some accessions progressed considerably in 2013, others have not advanced as planned due to a range of factors, including, but not limited to, continued negotiations with Members; technical complexities; domestic challenges; political choices to delay for more impact analysis, for example, re-ordered priorities, and/or immediate post-conflict situations.

43. Afghanistan: The 4th Meeting of the Working Party was held in July 2013. The first version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in June 2013. Bilateral market access negotiations with interested Members are ongoing on the basis of an initial market access offer on goods, circulated in November 2012, and an initial market access offer on services, circulated in June 2012. Three bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Canada, Japan and Korea) . Afghanistan's accession is technically advanced and rapidly maturing. The next meeting of the Working Party will be convened in the first quarter of 2014.

44. Algeria: The 11th Meeting of the Working Party was held in April 2013. The latest version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in February 2013. Bilateral market access negotiations are ongoing with interested Members on the basis of revised market access offers on goods, circulated in February 2013; and services, circulated in January 2013. Four bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Brazil, Cuba, Switzerland and Uruguay) . The next meeting of the Working Party is envisaged for the first quarter of 2014, subject to a complete set of updated technical inputs.

45. Andorra: The Working Party held its first and only meeting in October 1999. This accession process is inactive, and there are no indications of any intentions to re-start the process.

46. Azerbaijan: The 10th Meeting of the Working Party was held in December 2012. The WTO Secretariat was mandated to upgrade the documentation, from the Factual Summary of Points Raised to a Draft Working Party Report. Bilateral market access negotiations with interested Members are ongoing on the basis of revised market access offers on goods, circulated in September 2013, and on services, circulated in October 2013. Four bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Kyrgyz Republic, Oman, Turkey and United Arab Emirates) . The 11th Meeting of the Working Party is envisaged for February 2014.

51. Ethiopia: The 3rd Meeting of the Working Party took place in March 2012. At this meeting, the Working Party mandated the WTO Secretariat to upgrade the Factual Summary of Points Raised to an Elements of a Draft Working Party Report. The initial market access offer on goods was circulated in February 2012. The next Working Party meeting will be scheduled as soon as Ethiopia submits the required inputs (i.e. replies to Members' questions) for the preparation of the Elements of the Draft Working Party Report, and its initial market access offer on services.

52. Islamic Republic of Iran: The Memorandum on the Foreign Trade Regime (MFTR) was circulated in November 2009. Questions from Members on the MFTR were forwarded to the Government of the I.R. of Iran in February 2010. Technical inputs, including the replies to Members' questions, were circulated in 2011. Before a Working Party meeting can be convened, consultations with Members would need to be undertaken by the Chairperson of the General Council for the designation of a Chairperson of the Working Party.

53. Iraq: The Working Party has held two meetings, the most recent in April 2008. Iraq has provided a number of documentary inputs requested by the Working Party. Iraq has yet to submit its initial market access offers on goods and services. The next Working Party meeting would be scheduled as soon as Iraq submits its initial market access offers.

42. WTO accessions advance on the basis of interdependent tracks of multilateral, plurilateral and bilateral negotiations. In the period under review, the Accession of Yemen was concluded. While some accessions progressed considerably in 2013, others have not advanced as planned due to a range of factors, including, but not limited to, continued negotiations with Members; technical complexities; domestic challenges; political choices to delay for more impact analysis, for example, re-ordered priorities, and/or immediate post-conflict situations.

43. Afghanistan: The 4th Meeting of the Working Party was held in July 2013. The first version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in June 2013. Bilateral market access negotiations with interested Members are ongoing on the basis of an initial market access offer on goods, circulated in November 2012, and an initial market access offer on services, circulated in June 2012. Three bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Canada, Japan and Korea) . Afghanistan's accession is technically advanced and rapidly maturing. The next meeting of the Working Party will be convened in the first quarter of 2014.

53. Iraq: The Working Party has held two meetings, the most recent in April 2008. Iraq has provided a number of documentary inputs requested by the Working Party. Iraq has yet to submit its initial market access offers on goods and services. The next Working Party meeting would be scheduled as soon as Iraq submits its initial market access offers.

VII. CONCLUSIONS - OUTLOOK 2014

112. In my first few weeks as Director-General, I have dedicated time to review the work of the WTO on accessions with the Director of the Accessions Division. I have asked Deputy Director-General David Shark to assist me in this regard, drawing on his considerable experience, inter alia, in this area of work of the WTO.

113. I opened the first Global Seminar on Accessions on 23 September. This Seminar covered all aspects of WTO accessions. The Global Seminar was followed, from 15 to 17 October, in Luang Prabang, Lao PDR, by the Second China Round Table on WTO Accessions. This MoU-based activity, focused on the theme of, "The Future of the Multilateral Trading System: Perspectives of Article XII Members and Least-Developed Countries". I believe that Members would have noted the accession-specific aspects of the "Report on the Second China Round Table" from Mr. Nam Viyaketh, Minister of Industry and Commerce of Lao PDR. At the request of the Delegation of Lao PDR, the Report has been circulated as a document of the General Council and the Ministerial Conference (in document:

WT/ACC/20 ; WT/GC/153 ; WT/MIN(13)/2 ) .

114. There is a uniqueness to the work of the WTO on accessions. Although it is regular work of the Organization, at the same time, it is also related to the negotiating function of the Organization. As provided in Article XII of the Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the WTO, Membership of the WTO is pursuant to terms "…. to be agreed …." (negotiated) with Members. There is also an angle from WTO dispute settlement. In approximately 27 disputes65, of which almost 20 have proceeded to panel stage, Accession Protocols and Working Party Reports have been cited.

115. This year's Annual Report indicates evident progress but also the complexity of work on accessions. The complexity is as much technical as it also reflects significant changes in trade policy, political and economic transformations, including in regional integration processes, and domestic reform challenges within Acceding Governments.

116. There are several positive aspects in this year's Annual Report on the substance of Working Parties. First, after a 13 year process, the Working Party on the Accession of Yemen, completed its work. The Draft Accession Package of Yemen was adopted ad referendum on 26 September. The 9th WTO Ministerial Conference will formally adopt the terms and conditions of the WTO Membership of Yemen. As Director-General, I congratulate Members for helping Yemen to cross the finishing line. Second, significant technical work was advanced on the accession negotiations of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, The Bahamas, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan and Seychelles. The conclusion of any accession will be substance-driven, bearing in mind that, there is always uncertainty due to a range of factors and variables beyond the control of the WTO.

117. Specifically, on the Accession of Kazakhstan, I have reviewed the technical state-of-play on this accession. The status of the Accession of Kazakhstan is advanced. Progress made this year has brought it to the last stage of its negotiations. There is uniqueness, technical complexity across several areas of its foreign trade regime. The challenge and complexity have been magnified by the Customs Union (CU) between Belarus, Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation. Solutions will be explored in 2014. WTO Members have always demonstrated pragmatism. I am reasonably confident that pragmatism will prevail. This is an accession of importance to the WTO. I am paying close attention to it also because of its systemic ramifications.

118. Looking to the year ahead, there are 23 Working Parties to manage, of which 13 are active. These will require the time, resources and attention of Members. I encourage and appeal to Members to stay engaged and committed, working with those Acceding Governments that are similarly engaged with the adjustment of their trade regime for WTO conformity and with timely submission of meaningful inputs.

119. Every year, a thematic focus is identified and reviewed with major findings discussed to show the impact of results from WTO Accessions for the functioning of the rules-based trading system.66 This is a valuable practice that will be maintained. This year, the thematic focus was on transparency obligations of Article XII Members, and how they have performed in the implementation of notification requirements when compared to all WTO Members. I am pleased to report, as you have noted in Section V of this year's Annual Report that Article XII Members have contributed to strengthening the WTO in this critical area that is indispensable for predictability, confidence in the system, the monitoring functions of the WTO and countervailing protectionism.

120. Much of what has been achieved in WTO accessions is also due to technical assistance and outreach. Several Members have been generous with assistance and contributions. On behalf of the WTO, I commend them for their support. In the WTO TA Biennial Plan, accessions have been established as a priority for moving ahead with Results Based Management (RBM) . The Secretariat will sustain and improve outreach with individual Acceding Governments and WTO groups to explain, improve understanding and work with all parties to deliver faster, to the extent possible.

121. Working Party Chairpersons are indispensable for progress on accessions. They have made a difference. They are involved, technically engaged, and as observed, the Facilitation Mechanism for Yemen, contributed to a satisfactory solution that provided a win-win for all parties.

122. I encourage Acceding Governments to persevere with their negotiations. WTO Membership carries significant benefits. The WTO accession process is a uniquely powerful instrument for domestic reforms and international cooperation. It has raised the profile of trade in overall development policies and is a long-term commitment for trade integration.

123. Finally, WTO accession is a critical intersection point. It links all aspects of the work of the WTO: regular, negotiations and dispute settlement. There are useful lessons to learn for all areas of work of the Organization. WTO accession acquis are of strategic importance in safeguarding and strengthening the WTO, as a rules-based Multilateral Trading System, structured on a balance of rights and obligations. As Director-General, I look forward to sustaining contact and working with Members and Acceding Governments to build on the considerable achievements so far.

For some reason the Section III didn`t come through ...

44. Algeria: The 11th Meeting of the Working Party was held in April 2013. The latest version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in February 2013. Bilateral market access negotiations are ongoing with interested Members on the basis of revised market access offers on goods, circulated in February 2013; and services, circulated in January 2013. Four bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Brazil, Cuba, Switzerland and Uruguay) . The next meeting of the Working Party is envisaged for the first quarter of 2014, subject to a complete set of updated technical inputs.

45. Andorra: The Working Party held its first and only meeting in October 1999. This accession process is inactive, and there are no indications of any intentions to re-start the process.

46. Azerbaijan: The 10th Meeting of the Working Party was held in December 2012. The WTO Secretariat was mandated to upgrade the documentation, from the Factual Summary of Points Raised to a Draft Working Party Report. Bilateral market access negotiations with interested Members are ongoing on the basis of revised market access offers on goods, circulated in September 2013, and on services, circulated in October 2013. Four bilateral agreements have been deposited with the WTO Secretariat (Kyrgyz Republic, Oman, Turkey and United Arab Emirates) . The 11th Meeting of the Working Party is envisaged for February 2014.

47. Belarus: The last Meeting of the Working Party was held in May 2005. Informal Consultations took place in May 2013. The latest version of the Factual Summary of Points Raised was circulated in November 2012. At this meeting, Belarus was asked to submit a complete set of updated technical inputs. The WTO Secretariat was mandated to revise the Factual Summary on the basis of these inputs. Belarus was also asked to submit revised market access offers for goods and services. One bilateral market access agreement (with Cuba) has been deposited with the WTO Secretariat. The next Working Party meeting will be scheduled as soon as all relevant technical inputs have been received from Minsk, including the revised market access offers on goods and services; the revised Factual Summary of Points Raised has been prepared and circulated; and, the Chairperson of the Working Party has consulted with Members regarding the substance of circulated inputs.

48. Bhutan: The Working Party has held four Working Party meetings. The most recent was in January 2008. The latest market access offers on goods and services were circulated in November 2007. The latest version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in December 2007. The WTO Secretariat prepared a revision of the draft Report in 2008, but Bhutan is yet to submit its comments on the revised draft. Although this accession is de facto inactive, at the Second China Round Table in Luang Prabang in October 2013, the representative of Bhutan informed participants that the new Government was reviewing the dormant WTO accession process of his country.

49. Bosnia and Herzegovina: The Working Party held two meetings in 2013, the first in March and the second in June. The latest version of the Draft Working Party Report was circulated in May 2013. Eleven bilateral agreements have been deposited with the Secretariat on goods (Canada, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, the European Union, Honduras, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Norway and Switzerland); and seven bilateral agreements deposited on services (Canada, the European Union, India, Japan, Korea, Norway and Switzerland) . Bilateral market access negotiations with other interested Members are ongoing. The next Working Party meeting is expected to be the final meeting. The purpose of the next and final Working Party meeting would be to adopt the Draft Working Party Report, on an ad referendum basis.

50. The Union of the Comoros: The Memorandum on the Foreign Trade Regime (MFTR) was circulated on 25 October (

WT/ACC/COM/3 ) . The Working Party Chairperson was designated on 18 September. The First Meeting of the Working Party would be scheduled as soon as Comoros completes its first cycle of Questions and Replies with Members.

51. Ethiopia: The 3rd Meeting of the Working Party took place in March 2012. At this meeting, the Working Party mandated the WTO Secretariat to upgrade the Factual Summary of Points Raised to an Elements of a Draft Working Party Report. The initial market access offer on goods was circulated in February 2012. The next Working Party meeting will be scheduled as soon as Ethiopia submits the required inputs (i.e. replies to Members' questions) for the preparation of the Elements of the Draft Working Party Report, and its initial market access offer on services.

52. Islamic Republic of Iran: The Memorandum on the Foreign Trade Regime (MFTR) was circulated in November 2009. Questions from Members on the MFTR were forwarded to the Government of the I.R. of Iran in February 2010. Technical inputs, including the replies to Members' questions, were circulated in 2011. Before a Working Party meeting can be convened, consultations with Members would need to be undertaken by the Chairperson of the General Council for the designation of a Chairperson of the Working Party.

54. Kazakhstan: In the year under review, there were four cycles of meetings of the Working Party on the Accession of Kazakhstan (March, June, July and October) .

Edited by BJinMontreal
  • Upvote 1