Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sweden says YES to FATS

Thaiexpat

Just read this at Karl Dennigers site (market-ticker.org)

Sweden has announced the BENEFITS if eating a HIGH fat-low carb diet. As i have been saying for quite a while, if you want to lose fat, FAT eat and make sure you're not eating grains and starches.

Simple. Do what we used to do in our past and reap the benefits

Dont believe me, but look at what a government is saying "FAT TIS GOOD"

Cheers and to your health

• Upvote 3

Thanks Thaiexpat -  I will just post the link and download the page

some great info

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=226284

Gee, Look At What We Have Here?

As I often say, duh!

Sweden has become the first Western nation to develop national dietary guidelines that reject the popular low-fat diet dogma in favor of low-carb high-fat nutrition advice.

The switch in dietary advice followed the publication of a two-year study by the independent Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment. The committee reviewed 16,000 studies published through May 31, 2013.

The truth is a *****.

Butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and bacon are not harmful foods. Quite the opposite. Fat is the best thing for those who want to lose weight. And there are no connections between a high fat intake and cardiovascular disease.

Yep.

The reason is simple -- it doesn't spike your insulin response and therefore you both do not divert the calories immediately to fat tissues and you don't get cravings to eat more a few hours later.

Pay attention to this line in particular:

“If you eat potatoes you might as well eat candy. Potatoes contain glucose units in a chain, which is converted to sugar in the GI tract.
Such a diet causes blood sugar, and then the hormone insulin, to skyrocket.”

whistling.gif

Look folks, the reality is this -- the human animal has a gut that is not adapted to deal well with rapidly-absorbed glucose sources.  This is not unique to us; there are no animals that are well-adapted to deal with that!

Why?  Because there are no natural conditions under which this is the predominant source of energy for said animal.  Oh sure, there are instances where it occurs which is why our body can deal with it at all.  But those instances in "the wild" tend to have pretty modest glycemic indices (that is, the sugars enter the bloodstream reasonably slowly) such as in the low to mid 20s for most berries -- or 1/5th that of sugar.  Even apples and pears, which are moderately high in glycemic index, are about 1/3rd the impact of sugar.

Are there exceptions?  Sure -- melons (especially watermelon!) and pineapples, to name two.  But in general the "forager" diet didn't include high-glycemic index anything.

Funny how Sweden figured it out -- but we can't over here in America.

I wonder why?

Now here's the challenge:  If you are more than 10lbs overweight why don't you cut that crap out for a couple of months?  Is it really that hard to eat a low-carb, high-fat diet?  If you want to know whether it will help you from a metabolic perspective go to the corner WalMart or other drug store, stick your arm in the BP cuff and get a reading.  Then buy an A1c test (there are two in the box and there is no prescription required) and take one -- it only takes a tiny pinprick of blood from a finger.  Record both readings and your weight the day you start.

Then for the next two months eat no external sugars, no fast starches (no potatoes, no white rice, etc) and no hydrogenated oils of any sort.  Look at the label of everything you buy and eat and if it says "sugar" or "hydrogenated" on the label do not buy or consume it.  Eat plenty of high-fat foods -- meats including things like bacon, eggs, cheeses along with green vegetables such as broccoli and spinach, cook with and eat butter instead of margarine and so on.   Do not eat breads and other wheat products.  Zip, zero, nada in that regard.

Do this for 60 days and write down what goes in your pie hole.  Do not cheat.  I won't know if you cheated, but you will.

Then take the second A1c test and stick your arm in the BP cuff again, along with measuring your weight.

Then decide -- do you like the second set of numbers or the first set of numbers?  I'm willing to bet that if you don't cheat you will lose at least five pounds and quite possibly 10, and your metabolic measurements will improve.  I'd recommend even more metabolic measurements but the other useful ones generally require prescriptions and can be expensive.  The only measurement here with a cost here is the A1c test and it's about $20 for a pack of two.  It is also an utterly-objective and nearly-impossible-to-game check of your body's long-term blood sugar control, which is directly tied to the damage done by diabetes.

If you won't do this then you're deciding you want to be fat and personally accepting everything bad that comes with it.

You are refusing to conduct a simple, personal and controlled experiment measured against objective metabolic numbers personally unique to you in order to find out if everything you are dogmatically connected to with regard to food is true or false.

Two months won't kill you if I'm wrong.  You're already overweight and at elevated risk.

But those two months and the change you see might save your life if you see it working and stick with it -- especially given that Brosurance, aka Obamacare, is not going to work, you are going to lose your doctor, you are not going to get the "care and medicine" you think you are (even if you appear to be getting it now) and if you gamble on getting all of that and you're wrong, without addressing your lifestyle you're going to die.

It's not my ass -- I already took care of that, dropped 60lbs and went from not being able to run a half-mile non-stop to turning sub-22 minute 5k runs at the age of 50 -- it's yours.

• Upvote 2

Sweden Recommends Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet to Combat Obesity

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2013/10/sweden-recommends-low-carb-high-fat-diet-to-comba.aspx

DENVER—In an effort to reduce the national prevalence of obesity and diabetes, and improve heart health, Sweden has become the  first Western nation to recommend a lower-carbohydrate, higher-fat diet, such as AtkinsTM.

The recommendation is based on a literature review of 16,000 studies on diet and obesity, published by Swedish government advisers at the Council on Health Technology Assessment in September. The review suggested that following a low-carb, high-fast diet will improve body weight, blood sugar and good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol without adverse effects on low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. An  even lower carbohydrate intake (20% of total calories) would result in more benefits including improved blood sugar levels for individuals with obesity and diabetes and marginally decreased levels of triglycerides.

"It will be interesting to see how quickly other countries follow suit, recognizing that managing carbohydrates is the key to handling certain health conditions," said Jeff Volek, Ph.D., RD, professor and nutrition researcher at the University of Connecticut. "Lower-fat varieties of foods are often higher in sugars and carbohydrates, which is simply counter-intuitive for people who need to control metabolism-related conditions like diabetes, metabolic syndrome and insulin sensitivity, all of which are related to obesity."

Low-carb, high-fat diets have been shown to decrease inflammation, reduce cardiovascular disease and reduce cancer risk.

A recent study in the British Journal of Nutrition showed that low-carbohydrate diets, have been are more effective for long-term weight loss and maintenance. High-protein diets restrict carbohydrate intake so the body goes into ketosis.

Edited by FreckledFuzz
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Thaiexpat, RSTEFAN and FreckledFuzz.

I am just loving eating my bacon everyday without guilt... giving up wheat has been a challenge because of pasta... still working on that. :)

You guys motivate me to give it up though. :) Maybe I can find zuccini pasta like they have at one of my favorite restaurants.

Cheese is still okay right?

• Upvote 1

Have you tried Quinoa?  we made it with like a bruchetta topping and toasted gluten free chps and homemade hummus on the side...wow it was awesome....practically no calories and no sugar flour or salt added....I felt like I was cheating!!!!

No I haven't... is it in the grocery stores? That recipe sounds yummy!!!

I just love it when something taste good and yet is good for us.

Bacon... Bacon... Bacon... :D

• Upvote 1

Recently a Professor down under made a similar announcement that that the ancient Pacific diet of old (pig, fatty fish, sweet potato and coconut on everything) was way better for the health of the Pacific people than the current instant noodles, sugar , fizz drinks and high GI foods that are literally killing these people with heart disease and diabetes. He is strongly advocating they get back to eating in the traditional ways. 

So this backs up what Doc and the Swedes already know! Now it is a matter of convincing us western folks to take action and follow suit.

Here is a link to one of the articles:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-31/an-traditional-high-fat2c-low-carbohydrate-diet-more-beneficia/5060228

Edited by FlyHi
  • Upvote 1

First, Quinoa is a FRUIT not a grain. Second, you need to soak it well to get rid of the saponins found on it. make sure you do that, otherwise, it can pro-inflammatory.

Happy to see people getting with it and following a HEALTHFUL diet and not some hippy crap-n-nonsense full-o whole grains and other vegan-type BS. I am the ONLY doc here stating what is true, but I am using this latest info to destroy the other docs and their idiotic dietary ideas. There is a big hospital here which spouts out that coconut is dangerous!! Living the the 80's here!

Keep learning and trying. Lisen, give it 30-days on a truly grain-free, low carb diet and see how you feel. I promise you that if you knuckle down and really follow it, you will be doing GREAT. After that,  you can decide to swallow pasta still.

Cheers and to you health

• Upvote 1

First, Quinoa is a FRUIT not a grain. Second, you need to soak it well to get rid of the saponins found on it. make sure you do that, otherwise, it can pro-inflammatory.

Happy to see people getting with it and following a HEALTHFUL diet and not some hippy crap-n-nonsense full-o whole grains and other vegan-type BS. I am the ONLY doc here stating what is true, but I am using this latest info to destroy the other docs and their idiotic dietary ideas. There is a big hospital here which spouts out that coconut is dangerous!! Living the the 80's here!

Keep learning and trying. Lisen, give it 30-days on a truly grain-free, low carb diet and see how you feel. I promise you that if you knuckle down and really follow it, you will be doing GREAT. After that,  you can decide to swallow pasta still.

Cheers and to you health

I'm going to give it a whirl Thaiexpat... right after Thanksgiving.

I can't wait to give Quinona a try.... and what about cheese... I can keep that right???

Cheers :D

• Upvote 1

I am just loving eating my bacon everyday without guilt... giving up wheat has been a challenge because of pasta... still working on that. :)

You guys motivate me to give it up though. :) Maybe I can find zuccini pasta like they have at one of my favorite restaurants.

YW welcome Maggie :wave:

:)

I'm not so sure on the starches and pasta bit---leaving them out , as they recommend

I think the problems lie in the process of the flour involved with the pasta [and breads]

For example: white bleached flour is...well, bleached [with real bleach]

I've read this wreaks havoc on the pancreas--and may be the cause to diabetes

Also with the advent of GMO's I can't imagine that could be healthy

IMO--I think pasta would be "safe" if the ingredients used were as pure as you could get them

As with the bread

• Upvote 1

YW welcome Maggie :wave:

:)

I'm not so sure on the starches and pasta bit---leaving them out , as they recommend

I think the problems lie in the process of the flour involved with the pasta [and breads]

For example: white bleached flour is...well, bleached [with real bleach]

I've read this wreaks havoc on the pancreas--and may be the cause to diabetes

Also with the advent of GMO's I can't imagine that could be healthy

IMO--I think pasta would be "safe" if the ingredients used were as pure as you could get them

As with the bread

Thats what I had always thought as well FreckledFuzz :)

The pasta in Italy is much different than here because it is made with semilina flour...

it makes sense to me that would go for breads too.. using good whole grains to make it.

Sure is hard to avoid the GMO's but I am learning how to recognize them and don't eat near as many as I used too.

I'm going to do this because I'd like to drop a few pounds and I have a friend that did quite well with this diet.

She swears by it. :)

• Upvote 1

http://rt.com/usa/gmo-gluten-sensitivity-trigger-343/

GMOs linked to gluten disorders plaguing 18 million Americans - report

Genetically modified foods such as soy and corn may be responsible for a number of gluten-related maladies including intestinal disorders now plaguing 18 million Americans, according to a new report released on Tuesday.

The report was released by the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT), and cites authoritative data from the US Department of Agriculture, US Environmental Protection Agency records, medical journal reviews as well as  international research.

“Gluten sensitivity can range in severity from mild discomfort, such as gas and bloating, to celiac disease, a serious autoimmune condition that can, if undiagnosed, result in a 4-fold increase in death,” said  Jeffrey M. Smith, executive director of IRT in a statement released on their website.

Smith cited how a “possible environmental trigger may be the introduction of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) to the American food supply, which occurred in the mid-1990s,” describing the nine GM crops currently on the market.

In soy, corn, cotton (oil), canola (oil), sugar from sugar beets, zucchini, yellow squash, Hawaiian papaya, and alfalfa,  “Bt-toxin, glyphosate, and other components of GMOs, are linked to five conditions that may either initiate or exacerbate gluten-related disorders,” according to Smith.

It’s the BT-toxin in genetically modified foods which kills insects by “puncturing holes in their cells.” The toxin is present in ‘every kernel’ of Bt-corn and survives human digestion, with a 2012 study confirming that it punctures holes in human cells as well.

The GMO-related damage was linked to five different areas: Intestinal permeability, imbalanced gut bacteria, immune activation and allergic response, impaired digestion, and damage to the intestinal wall.

The IRT release also indicated that glyphosate, a weed killer sold under the brand name ‘Roundup’ was also found to have a negative effect on intestinal bacteria. GMO crops contain high levels of the toxin at harvest.

“Even with minimal exposure, glyphosate can significantly reduce the population of beneficial gut bacteria and promote the overgrowth of harmful strains,” the report found.

Dr. Tom O’Bryan, internationally recognized expert on gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease, says that “the introduction of GMOs is highly suspect as a candidate to explain the rapid rise in gluten-related disorders over the last 17 years.”

Internist, Emily Linder, offered some backup for the report’s findings. She removed GMO from her patients’ diets, finding that recovery from intestinal diseases was faster and more complete.

“I believe that GMOs in our diet contribute to the rise in gluten-sensitivity in the US population,” Linder said in the release.

• Upvote 1

My better half is a Nutritionist & dietitian ....... she eats bacon for breakfast every morning, works out for about an hour a week and hasn't an ounce of fat on her.

The high fat low carb diet is based on the paleo diet   (Paleolithic diet) .... check it out a quick google search will get you everything you need, I went on it last year for a few months, its hard at first if your used to a lot of carbs but after a few weeks you wont even miss those carbs anymore. If your a big meat eater (which I am) it's probably the best diet ever.  

• Upvote 5

My better half is a Nutritionist & dietitian ....... she eats bacon for breakfast every morning, works out for about an hour a week and hasn't an ounce of fat on her.

The high fat low carb diet is based on the paleo diet   (Paleolithic diet) .... check it out a quick google search will get you everything you need, I went on it last year for a few months, its hard at first if your used to a lot of carbs but after a few weeks you wont even miss those carbs anymore. If your a big meat eater (which I am) it's probably the best diet ever.  

Thank You Machine :)

Looked it up and found their site... I have it bookmarked for what looks like a lot of good reading and recipes.

I'm actually looking forward to this since I can still have my bacon and eggs :) and yes I'm a meat eater and happen to love all my veggies.

I switched to coconut oil a few months ago and I can't tell you how much I have been liking that for almost everything. It's great for frying!!!

Dang it looks like no cheese though... oh well.

Sorry, but it isn't the type of wheat or where it is grown that makes it good or bad. It is the lectin found in all grains that is very pro-inflammatory to our bodies. Some can tolerate it better than others and, yes, ALL food, have some inflammatory action. The idea is to greatly limit those food and increase others (animal proteins, fats, veggies and many fruits)

Eating a particular type of food is a learnt trait-just like being Irish makes you a priest, cop or drunk (well, ok maybe that is genetic! hahahaha)

So all it takes is to unlearn that trait/taste. I was born and raised in Asia. I WAS rice propelled. No more. Being raised a Jew, never ate pork. Love the stuff now.

Do whats best for your body and see how you feel. That's all. Just give it a TRY

Cheers and to your health

I had heard a lot about bean sprouts over the years but had never tried to sprout my own.  My wife got a sprouting jar and some beans for me at the health food store and I have fallen in love again!!  It is so easy to sprout different types of beans and lentils and put them on your salads or add them to other foods and they are not only delicious but are extremely good for you!!  My typical breakfast is:  Two eggs over medium with sauteed onions, bell peppers, & (sometimes a little bit of home frys occasionally).  One slice of bacon, 1/2 slice of buttered whole wheat toast, 1/2 of a sliced tomato covered with cottage cheese, topped with bean or lentil sprouts and 1/4 of an avocado.  That lasts me well into the day.  In fact, my nutritionist gets on me sometimes because I only eat twice a day & she wants me to eat three meals a day which includes three veggies & three proteins.  Stay away from sugars and starches.  All of my blood work is excellent & my blood pressure is perfect as long as I follow the above!  When ever I cheat, my blood pressure goes up.  I had a triple bypass about six years ago after two stints.  I was following the doctor's orders and was slowly dying from taking all of their drugs.  Today, I take no drugs, exercise regularly, and eat well!!  Oh yeah, lost about 20 pounds in the process!! 

• Upvote 1

QUESTION:

Ate bunches of bacon as a kid. Loved it.  BUT,  got off of it thinking saturated fat was not too healthy. ALSO, the fact that it contains nitrates/nitrites,

which when heated at a high level converts to nitrosamines....a very cancerous agent. So, you might get cancer??

Also, are not pigs full of bactericides, fungicides, pesticides, etc. due to their feed??

• Upvote 2

I had heard a lot about bean sprouts over the years but had never tried to sprout my own.  My wife got a sprouting jar and some beans for me at the health food store and I have fallen in love again!!  It is so easy to sprout different types of beans and lentils and put them on your salads or add them to other foods and they are not only delicious but are extremely good for you!! 

Thank You Gary :) I m going to put a "sprouting jar" at the top of my Christmas wish list.

I just love sprouts and I haven't had any in ages... thanks for the reminder.

As  Dr.Thaiexpat has said... the more fresh and alive your fruits and veggies are... all the better. :)

QUESTION:

Ate bunches of bacon as a kid. Loved it.  BUT,  got off of it thinking saturated fat was not too healthy. ALSO, the fact that it contains nitrates/nitrites,

which when heated at a high level converts to nitrosamines....a very cancerous agent. So, you might get cancer??

Also, are not pigs full of bactericides, fungicides, pesticides, etc. due to their feed??

Umm... good questions Chess... I just try to buy the best quality bacon I can find.

My Grandma had bacon every morning and she lived to be 93... everytime I smell it cooking I think of her... so that has to be healthy... right?

Thoughts of her make me happy :)

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1

Yes, proccessed bacon is not very good, as with any proccessed foods. I get bacon and it is fat and little meat-thats it. This is like saying eating charcoaled meats causes cancer (which studies have shown to be true), however, dont eat the blackened parts. Dont eat non-organic foods, if at all possible. And avoid them grains.

Cheers to your health. Love the questions, by-the-way.