Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Obama Orders Navy Seals To Remove ‘Don’t Tread On Me’ Navy Jack From Uniforms

What Rayzur said - mostly.

I read the transcript from the Fox News story. I'm an old sailor - transferred to Fleet Reserve 15 years ago - placed on the retired list 5 years ago. My info may be dated but I'll spout off.

The Navy has unit patches and "Morale Patches" as Rayzur calls them (ask some old sailor about Liberty Cuffs). The Airdales wear unit patches on their flight suits. I was a "Bubble-head" so we'd wear them on our submarine coveralls (we called them poopie-suits). But in the Navy, no unit or moral patches are "authorized." E-6 and below wear Unit Identification Marks or these little 1/2 inch rockers that go at the very top of the right sleeve with the command's name but that's about it.

So the Area Commander or C.O. or whomever decided that the folks should wear an American Flag on the right sleeve of their uniforms while in the place where they are - Afghanistan, Iraq, whatever. Some sailor figured the US Navy Jack looks close enough to an American Flag and he substitutes it. His buddy sees it and we go from there.

Now the whole Senior Enlisted Advisor thing. Every command throughout the military has a Command Sergeant Major, Command Chief Master Sergeant or in the case of the Navy and Coast Guard a Command Master Chief or "CMC" (or in the case of submarines, a "Chief of the Boat" or COB). When you create a detachment or sub-command unit, there is no "CMC" but Officer in Charge will have a Senior Enlisted Advisor or SEA. O.K., so have I muddied it up enough?

So the Sergeant Major or the Chief or the CMC has to get on the enlisted folks to make sure that they're wearing their uniforms correctly, or if the C.O. or OIC sees something he thinks may need to be changed, he'll say, "Master Chief, I noticed that Petty Officer Schmuckatello is wearing a Navy Jack instead of the American Flag on his uniform." Then the CMC or the SEA puts out a little memo to remind the troops that they're only supposed to be wearing the American flag, yada, yada, yada. You know, it's the job of the Command Sergeant Major or Command Chief Master Sergeant or Command Master Chief to take care of this stuff when the C.O. doesn't want to look like the bad guy.

To say that the Commander-in-Chief is behind all of this is really rather overblown. I doubt he would even know what the Navy Jack was. I mean, seriously. Would he really recognize that that wasn't part of the uniform? Would anybody besides the CMC or SEA know what it was or care. Personally, I think it's pretty cool but it's not part of the uniform. On the other hand, let the folks have some fun - who does it hurt?

On a side note, the US Union Jack is a dark blue field with 50 white stars. It's what the Navy Jack replaced. Want to guess what it looks like?

On another side note, I fly the Gadsden Flag at my house. The Navy Jack may have a rattlesnake and the words "DON T TREAD ON ME" (yeah, written that way) but I choose the Gadsden Flag. Apparently the Tea Party does, too.

Edited by 429
  • Upvote 2

I agree just here say.

I asked my nephew who was just dropped from the seal program on Friday and he knew nothing about it.

He got hurt ( broken ribs) and was down to the last 50 out of 190 people. Needless to say he is bummed out.

Thanks Maggie

Sorry SocalDinar... I had to go do some stuff.

Your nephew sounds like a fine young man... just between you and me?

That might be a good thing...

My best friend's son went into the Navy earlier this year... and we have been holding our breath ever since.

• Upvote 1

What Rayzur said - mostly.

I read the transcript from the Fox News story. I'm an old sailor - transferred to Fleet Reserve 15 years ago - placed on the retired list 5 years ago. My info may be dated but I'll spout off.

The Navy has unit patches and "Morale Patches" as Rayzur calls them (ask some old sailor about Liberty Cuffs). The Airdales wear unit patches on their flight suits. I was a "Bubble-head" so we'd wear them on our submarine coveralls (we called them poopie-suits). But in the Navy, no unit or moral patches are "authorized." E-6 and below wear Unit Identification Marks or these little 1/2 inch rockers that go at the very top of the right sleeve with the command's name but that's about it.

So the Area Commander or C.O. or whomever decided that the folks should wear an American Flag on the right sleeve of their uniforms while in the place where they are - Afghanistan, Iraq, whatever. Some sailor figured the US Navy Jack looks close enough to an American Flag and he substitutes it. His buddy sees it and we go from there.

Now the whole Senior Enlisted Advisor thing. Every command throughout the military has a Command Sergeant Major, Command Chief Master Sergeant or in the case of the Navy and Coast Guard a Command Master Chief or "CMC" (or in the case of submarines, a "Chief of the Boat" or COB). When you create a detachment or sub-command unit, there is no "CMC" but Officer in Charge will have a Senior Enlisted Advisor or SEA. O.K., so have I muddied it up enough?

So the Sergeant Major or the Chief or the CMC has to get on the enlisted folks to make sure that they're wearing their uniforms correctly, or if the C.O. or OIC sees something he thinks may need to be changed, he'll say, "Master Chief, I noticed that Petty Officer Schmuckatello is wearing a Navy Jack instead of the American Flag on his uniform." Then the CMC or the SEA puts out a little memo to remind the troops that they're only supposed to be wearing the American flag, yada, yada, yada. You know, it's the job of the Command Sergeant Major or Command Chief Master Sergeant or Command Master Chief to take care of this stuff when the C.O. doesn't want to look like the bad guy.

To say that the Commander-in-Chief is behind all of this is really rather overblown. I doubt he would even know what the Navy Jack was. I mean, seriously. Would he really recognize that that wasn't part of the uniform? Would anybody besides the CMC or SEA know what it was or care. Personally, I think it's pretty cool but it's not part of the uniform. On the other hand, let the folks have some fun - who does it hurt?

On a side note, the US Union Jack is a dark blue field with 50 white stars. It's what the Navy Jack replaced. Want to guess what it looks like?

On another side note, I fly the Gadsden Flag at my house. The Navy Jack may have a rattlesnake and the words "DON T TREAD ON ME" (yeah, written that way) but I choose the Gadsden Flag. Apparently the Tea Party does, too.

Good to see a fellow "Bubble-head" retiree. Thanks to you sir.

We are totally in synch... and thanks for clarifying ..... I do think it was probably as simple as, someone saw something not kosher and put out a memo.... I salute your bravery for wading into the waters of explaining an SA... lol... starts at the JCS level (the SEAC is currently Sgt Maj Batagllia... a Marine this time) and then goes to branch... and then to command... and then to unit... and on and on and on..... heck it was probably a First Shirt... lol

And have you seen just how frickin boring is the USAF uniform next to the other Branch SAs..... we are indeed very boring.... .... True story: I went to a formal officers event for the Navy... with a Navy guy..... and of course we were all in Mess Dress.... and I was of course sporting the USAF Mess Dress and I swear, the entire group thought I was a foreign officer.... swear ..... I spent the entire evening explaining I was indeed a US military officer and my "little outfit" was the best boring bull sheet the USAF could come with.... :lol: :lol:

Just by way of some fact finding - latest uniform changes from Naval Command - no mention of flags on the uniforms.  I'm going with what 429 said.  Makes sense to me. Some Senior Chief, or Sergeant Major or some type of Senior Grade NCO decided he needed to find a justification for his existence. (Inside joke among most Senior company level NCOs - like me *lol*) 

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2011/NAV11025.txt

I've been kind of out of touch. Don't get a chance to log on as much as I used too. This site has been flagged as suspicious by the National Guard, so I can't get on during my lunch break - and with another business, don't get on at home as much as I'd like. 

As for Rayzur's "best boring bull sheet" - the Army is working on going boring to. Got rid of the Dress Green uniform and "dumbed down" the Dress Blue uniform to be the Army Service Uniform.  Not a bad looking uniform - but they lost some of the gold braid, got rid of some patches, added some interesting badges, and just moved the basic Dress Green badge wear policy to the Army Service Uniform.  I'm just going to miss my Dress Blues - especially as I had them prepared for Military Funeral Honors duty.  They are actually done in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures for the 3rd Infantry "Old Guard" who are in charge of funerals at Arlington. Their standards are more exacting than AR 670-1 - Wear and Appearance of the Army Uniforms. 

They are also getting rid of the Army Dress White uniform - However, keeping the Army Mess White and Army Mess Blue uniforms.  Yeah - 29 years and I still get confused by uniform regs. *lol* 

On another note - looks like most tattoos will soon be out by Army regulations. Nothing that can be seen in the short sleeve dress uniforms.  Right now there's a big argument about those who already have tattoos and how to handle that.  Couldn't we worry about something more important - like why we have to cut the number of soldiers by 42,000 in the next 2 years?

On another note - looks like most tattoos will soon be out by Army regulations. Nothing that can be seen in the short sleeve dress uniforms.  Right now there's a big argument about those who already have tattoos and how to handle that.  

My son-in-law has a few tats. The Navy got pictures of his tats and those pictures are part of his service record. No new tats that are visible from here on out.

Personally, I think the real problem is those guys that walk around with tats that say "I iced 42 Zombies" or "Death to [choose your favorite slur] or whatever. I think that that's asking for trouble to have that stuff tatted but there you go.

I have a nephew in the Marine Corps.....a few years back, he caught word that the Corps was going to put a stop to tattoos.  He immediately ran out and finished the rest of his full sleeve tats.......His choice, not mine.  On a side note, he has done 7 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan and has been wounded in battle.  He just made Master Sargent.  

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

There is a simple solution here. Impeach this marxistkenyansodomitesissy president. That would solve the whole dam issue.

thats going to solve it all? i dont know if you know, but america was going to crap long before obama was around.

whats obama done, that other democrats wouldnt do? healthcare push wouldve happened, immigration push wouldve happened. john kerry signed the un treaty.

you act like obama is the problem, but you forget the democrat party would be doing these things regardless of their candidate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

thats going to solve it all? i dont know if you know, but america was going to crap long before obama was around.

whats obama done, that other democrats wouldnt do? healthcare push wouldve happened, immigration push wouldve happened. john kerry signed the un treaty.

you act like obama is the problem, but you forget the democrat party would be doing these things regardless of their candidate.

Sir Let me see if I can help you understand that statement made above. First of all, yes I am aware that the former democrat party has been hijacked by Marxist.  Yes I am aware that our country has been on the wrong track since the Nixon era.

Now lets look at he statement. Just impeach the marxistkenyansodomitesissy president. I would ask you to think, "What happens to the rest of the snake when you cut off his head".

That is pretty simple yes, no, kinda?  

:peace:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sir Let me see if I can help you understand that statement made above. First of all, yes I am aware that the former democrat party has been hijacked by Marxist.  Yes I am aware that our country has been on the wrong track since the Nixon era.

Now lets look at he statement. Just impeach the marxistkenyansodomitesissy president. I would ask you to think, "What happens to the rest of the snake when you cut off his head".

That is pretty simple yes, no, kinda?  

:peace:

so do you think once 2016 is here, obama goes into retirement, the democrats will just disappear?

what offense should obama be impeached over?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just love how the truth always comes out... I guess my Nancy Drew (or DV) days gave me pretty good "lie detector" abilities.

Not only was I right that Obama did not make any such order... the Navy has no idea where the bogus email came from.

Straight from the horse's mouth...

Official: Spec-ops sailors can keep wearing 'Navy jack'    

Nov. 4, 2013 - 06:00AM   |  

The Navy is flatly denying claims that SEALs are no longer allowed to wear the First Navy Jack patch on their uniforms. In fact, the Navy recently expanded the wear rules for the iconic 'Don't Tread on Me Patch.' (Navy)

By Meghann Myers
Staff writer
  • Filed Under

In an op-ed originally published in the Daily Caller former SEAL Carl Higbie describes a “travesty” in which special operations sailors are being told to no longer wear the Navy jack on their arm. Higbie cites an anonymous email from a “senior enlisted adviser” that states the following:

“All personnel are only authorized to wear the matching “AOR” American Flag patch on the right shoulder. You are no longer authorized to wear the “Don’t Tread On Me” patch.”

Higbie expresses outrage in his column, putting much of the blame on the commander in chief.

“The Obama administration and the yes-men top brass have decided to wage war on our Navy’s heritage,” he writes.

“Will the SEALs choose to defend that heritage and defy them, with all the impertinence the flag’s slogan implies? Or will they be tread upon?”...

A number of concerned readers contacted Navy Times to determine whether these claims were true.

"The Navy has thus far been unable to confirm the validity of the email from the senior official. If it’s legit, then someone in in the spec-ops community got their wires crossed."

“As of September 2013, all Naval Special Warfare personnel are authorized to wear the U.S. flag and the “Don’t Tread on me” uniform patches,” Navy spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Sarah Flaherty told Navy Times. “In the past, NSW did not authorize wearing either patch unless one was deployed or in a work-up cycle. However, NSW recently sought special permission from the Chief of Naval Operations staff to wear the patches within the continental United States.”

Read More...  http://www.navytimes.com/article/20131104/NEWS07/311040026/

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1