Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Veterans Get Letters Prohibiting The Purchase, Possession, Or Transport Of A Firearm/Ammunition

OUTRAGEOUS: Veterans Get Letters Prohibiting The Purchase, Possession, Or Transport Of A Firearm/Ammunition

Written By Constitutional Attorney Michael Connelly, J.D.

How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”?

That makes is sound like something right from a documentary on a tyrannical dictatorship somewhere in the world. Yet, as I write this I have a copy of such a letter right in front of me. It is being sent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of America’s heroes. In my capacity as Executive Director of the United States Justice Foundation (USJF) I have been contacted by some of these veterans and the stories I am getting are appalling.

The letter provides no specifics on the reasons for the proposed finding of incompetency; just that is based on a determination by someone in the VA. In every state in the United States no one can be declared incompetent to administer their own affairs without due process of law and that usually requires a judicial hearing with evidence being offered to prove to a judge that the person is indeed incompetent. This is a requirement of the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that states that no person shall “… be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law…”.

Obviously, the Department of Veterans Affairs can’t be bothered by such impediments as the Constitution, particularly since they are clearly pushing to fulfill one of Obama’s main goals, the disarming of the American people. Janet Napolitano has already warned law enforcement that some of the most dangerous among us are America’s heroes, our veterans, and now according to this letter from the VA they can be prohibited from buying or even possessing a firearm because of a physical or mental disability.

Think about it, the men and women who have laid their lives on the line to defend us and our Constitution are now having their own Constitutional rights denied. There are no clear criteria for the VA to declare a veteran incompetent. It can be the loss of a limb in combat, a head injury, a diagnosis of PTSD, or even a soldier just telling someone at the VA that he or she is depressed over the loss of a buddy in combat. In none of these situations has the person been found to be a danger to themselves or others. If that was the case than all of the Americans who have suffered from PTSD following the loss of a loved one or from being in a car accident would also have to be disqualified from owning firearms. It would also mean that everyone who has ever been depressed for any reason should be disarmed. In fact, many of the veterans being deprived of their rights have no idea why it is happening.

The answer seems to be it is simply because they are veterans. At the USJF we intend to find the truth by filing a Freedom of Information Act request to the Department of Veterans Affairs to force them to disclose the criteria they are using to place veterans on the background check list that keeps them from exercising their Second Amendment rights. Then we will take whatever legal steps are necessary to protect our American warriors.

The reality is that Obama will not get all of the gun control measures he wants through Congress, and they wouldn’t be enough for him anyway. He wants a totally disarmed America so there will be no resistance to his plans to rob us of our nation. That means we have to ask who will be next. If you are receiving a Social Security check will you get one of these letters? Will the government declare that you are incompetent because of your age and therefore banned from firearm ownership. It certainly fits in with the philosophy and plans of the Obama administration. It is also certain that our military veterans don’t deserve this and neither do any other Americans.

-- Michael Connelly, J.D.

Executive Director, United States Justice Foundation

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 2

Whoever replaces Janet N. will just continue with her agenda, as it was not hers to begin with.

This is sad because already a lot of soldiers are afraid to seek help for their PTSD symptoms and trying to cover them rather than seek the help they need and deserve. They are ending in suicide and aggression and lot of other negatives that could be prevented if they would feel safer to reach out and get the help they need. It's not unusual to experience PTSD after living in a war zone.  I experience it after a simple car wreck!  I feel for these soldiers and can see that this is just the beginning of a regime intent on disarming the whole country (except their own, of course). 

• Upvote 1

Thank you Granny. I too find it appalling that a man or woman would offer to give the ultimate price.  All the while the gun grabbers are conspiring to deprive them of Constitutional rights. This has to be the ultimate insult to those brave men and women who served. ! For those that have served I honour you every day. I also thank God for bringing you home so I can have an opportunity to honour your service to our country.  HOoooA   :salute:  

• Upvote 1

question

What if the ones that got the letters are truly screwed up in the head from that war that they truly should not be able to own a firearm.

Just throwing it out there. I have personally known 2 that didn't make it they were friends and took their own lives.

Just thought it was a question worth asking. 

question

What if the ones that got the letters are truly screwed up in the head from that war that they truly should not be able to own a firearm.

Just throwing it out there. I have personally known 2 that didn't make it they were friends and took their own lives.

I think what the issues is: HOW and WHO determines your "screwed in the head"? Usually, if I Baker Act someone (put under protective custody), I must clearly state the reasons WHY. After which, they would be brought before a Judge to make a determination to their mental status from available data/opinions. Only a Writ from the Court would be able to limit someone's Constitutional Rights. this is where I think people are all up-in-arms over. The VA is only an agency. They have no authority to limit my freedoms (unless Baker Acted, but that is only for a very limited time frame). Sorry to hear about your friends. Dunno, just saying.....Peace

I think what the issues is: HOW and WHO determines your "screwed in the head"? Usually, if I Baker Act someone (put under protective custody), I must clearly state the reasons WHY. After which, they would be brought before a Judge to make a determination to their mental status from available data/opinions. Only a Writ from the Court would be able to limit someone's Constitutional Rights. this is where I think people are all up-in-arms over. The VA is only an agency. They have no authority to limit my freedoms (unless Baker Acted, but that is only for a very limited time frame). Sorry to hear about your friends. Dunno, just saying.....Peace

Very good point doc. If their just handing these letters out at random  with out any evaluation by real doctors yeah thats a big problem. 

I thought maybe these people that got served with the letters had been. Then recieved the letters. But who knows with this GOVT of ours

These soldiers may be "screwed up in the head", but PTSD is only a temporary condition if treated properly and if the soldiers are not afraid to seek help. I know several good therapists that work with soldiers on bases to treat these conditions, and are having great successes with EMDR and other therapies.  The soldiers are afraid to ask for help because it is being held against them when they do, and now this letter is just another reason for these soldiers to avoid getting help. They are afraid of asking because of things like this.  And yet their PTSD can be healed if they are willing to seek the help they need. 

dog53, if your friends had felt permission from the military to get the help they needed, they would still be here today. The military harrasses those who admit to being traumatized by the war, so many soldiers are holding out and not getting help. It's a conditon that can be treated if not ignored. Your friends should never have had to resort to suicide.  It's sad when our country does not help our soldiers but "sends them letters" instead, limiting their rights.

It also appears that many who have not had any justifiable cause have also been sent a letter. What soldier hasn't at one time or another expressed dissatisfaction with some part of their experience, if only with the food?  Who hasn't experienced loneliness or mild depression when in a war zone, especially at Christmas or when promised to go home and then have to stay for one more year?  Or when a friend just got killed in the line of action?  Before long they will all be declared incompetent.  And so will we. 

question

i was thinking the same thing.

unfortunately, 2 to 3% of the population shouldnt have guns. if your taking pyschotropic drugs, you shouldnt have guns either.

imo, everyone needs to make sure we keep guns away from irresponsible or mentally incapable.

that effort will go a long way to preserving the 2nd ammendment and the rights of the responsible

• Upvote 2

Determining that PTSD is the cause of the lose of culpability, may open a legal avenue for the defense of any crime to be "not guilty by reason of insanity".  It is my opinion, this action to strip the second amendment rights of these veterans is an overreach of a rouge government and a exact infringement of the amendment worded to prohibit the infringement.   I believe this to be intimidation by this tyrant regime to flaunt their muscle at the country that has grown to be so sheeply.