Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

McDonald's Employee Interrupts CEO Speech to Ask For $15/hr

yota691

McDonald's Employee Interrupts CEO Speech to Ask For $15/hr

2edaf2c768187612be69718d2b7596e2.jpg
  • Kira Davis
  • On October 11, 2013
  •  

McDonald’s USA President Jeffery Stratton was giving a speech at an event in Chicago when he was suddenly interrupted by an angry protester. 

26-year old Nancy Salgado was with a group protesting the event. The group was demanding McDonald’s raise their minimum employee wage to $15/hr and allow employees to unionize. Salgado had this to say to the fast-food giant’s president:

Stratton responded “I’ve been there 40 years”.  Perhaps that was the diplomatic thing to say when being interrupted in the middle of a speech, but here’s what Stratton should have said.

“I’m a single mother of two. It’s really hard for me to feed my two kids and struggle day to day. Do you think this is fair that I have to be making $8.25 when I’ve been working at McDonald’s for 10 years?” She went on to say that she loves her job but her hours have been cut back lately and “it gets harder and harder. Sometimes I can’t even buy a gallon of milk”.

Ten years at the same wage? Like I always say, if you are raising an entire family while permanently earning minimum wage you’re doing it wrong

Ms. Salgado. I can appreciate that life is difficult when you are supporting a family on $8.25/hr. Life has only become more expensive in the last 5 years with no relief in sight and you can thank Obamacare for having your hours cut.

I do sympathize with your plight. We appreciate our employees but it is up to them to make the most of the vast opportunities McDonald’s offers their valued workers.

Instead of chastising me for not paying you what you think you are worth, perhaps you should ask yourself exactly why it is you have been making the exact same wages for 10 years straight. It is nearly unheard of in any workplace for the same individual to see absolutely no raise in wages in a decade. Most people would not stay in a place that offered no raise after at least three years. Either you have allowed yourself to be taken advantage of by a particularly miserly franchise owner or you have not proven yourself in 10 years to be worthy of a larger investment. It does not seem reasonable to become a mother to two children while having no other means of support and then expect to be able to raise them to adulthood with a minimum wage job.

Our company prides itself in providing many opportunities for advancement and ownership to employees who work hard and show themselves to be valuable assets, regardless of social status or any other factors. A minimum wage position is the first step toward those opportunities. Somehow, you have managed to take that first step and stay stuck there for a decade. And now you are asking us to pay you more despite the fact that you’ve not shown enough initiative in the last 10 years of your life to become the type of employee who could earn more than the minimum wage.

Not only do we provide educational scholarships for outstanding high school employees, we also offer a number of training programs to help launch employees into management positions, franchise ownership and corporate employment. Am I to believe in 10 years you have never been able to avail yourself of one of these opportunities in order to make a better future with stronger earnings? How is this my fault or the fault of our customers?

Perhaps if you had been able to continue your education you would know that raising the wages of a minimum-wage employee to $15/hr will mean higher prices for our customers or fewer employees. Which should it be? If I raised all base wages to $15/hr but had to fire 20,000 employees would you be willing to be one of those employees? Will you make that sacrifice? Or do you think a business that has thrived by offering inexpensive fast food will continue to do so by having to charge $10 for a Happy Meal in order to maintain our current employment rolls? At what point do you take responsibility for the choices you’ve made in your own life to lead you here?

We are happy to have lovely employees like you serve our customers and we want to see you advance. It profits us to have good employees climb the ladder. No one forced you to apply for work with our franchises. No one forced you to stay 10 years for the same salary. If you can do better somewhere else, I suggest for the sake of your family that you do so. If you can’t, I suggest you figure why you are not capable of better. Asking us to sink the fate of thousands of employees because you have failed to move forward in your working life in 10 years is unreasonable, unacceptable and downright ungrateful.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

o kay ,, I saw this on the regular  news  bites ,  and the response will be the same I would guess,    if your at a job, and only making 8 50  an hour,   why not expand on your  job exploits ,, { and not to mention for 10 years }  one response was you are at this for 10 years  why would your boss give you 15.oo an hour when they can get 2 teen age girls for 7 right out of high school ?    the whole 15.oo an hour for flipping burgers is a big joke ,,,   and right behind those guys are the teamster head guys looking for new fish to skin in ----  weekly  or monthly dues,    { just my take , along with other response I  read  }  now I know , it is tough out there , when the down turn in the economy hit.,  I had to take up brand new myself.   from steel worker to a c,n,a, { nursing opportunity ,  this was a 180 from what I could do too what was available   the c,n,a,  didn`t pan out,  but in my search for  the  c,n,a  job.  I stumbled across the position I have now assembly and hydraulics ,  ---->    do not be afraid of what might happen if you take a chance ,  but be afraid of never taken the chance }   

• Upvote 4

Being an employee at McDonalds for 10 years and is still making minimum wage has a lot to say about a person, when your abilities of futhering youself in a job ends with "Would you like to super size that order" is all that you are capable of accomplishing then may be you should stop having walfare babies and learn a trade because you are not going to get $15 an hour empting the fry basket...just saying...

• Upvote 4

***///

she was too ignorant to pick a proper husband,

too ignorant to keep her knees together,

too ignorant to have a proper Father for her kids,

too ignorant to know where babies come from,

and too ignorant to get a better job after being at Mickey D's for a decade....?

The only thing this ignorant creature mastered was a sense of entitlement.

Can't fix stupid and apparently dumb is forever...... <_<

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Don't Breed em... If you cant feed em...

***///

You sure got THAT right DINARDIVA !

Now ---- let's see......... to her "minimum wage",

add what else she may already be receiving at our expense which

she qualifies for in hobummer's entitlement society:

OUR TAX DOLLARS that pay for her food stamps,

her obamafone,

her child care,

her headstart,

the school breakfasts and lunches,

her subsidized housing,

her transportation allotment,

her huge tax refunds and credits for her daddy-less babies,

don't feel sorry for this USER - LEECH - SUCCUBUS - PARASITE on the bum of our society ! :angry:

add it up --- she's probably making more than a brain surgeon ! <_<

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My children's first jobs we at groceries store's.  I made sure, telling them that this is a job to get experience, their expectations of themselves should be high and to advance and succeed in this world...to not stay stuck at anytime.  I also told them to never join the union while employed at these stores.  Why give them your money if you don't plan on staying to long. 

Gals,  Great truth my friend, great sad truth.  :(

• Upvote 2

Why doesn't she just send both kids back to dad. He was the other half of the two it takes for creating children (unless parthenogenesis has been perfected)....

I can't imagine what it takes to raise two kids on a single income, let alone one that is below the poverty line. Though I have seen a lot of worn out single mothers for whom it takes everything they've got just to get through it...Some of them who have supportive parents or mentors, seem to do a better job of trying to advance.... Going to school while working, takes a whole lot, (money sitters, time) and can be done... Though if you don't have some kind of support system (NOT money but mentors, parents, friends. etc etc), its a huge challenge.... And not to forget that these people are sometimes competing with kids who just graduated from college, or have a few college years under their belt, competing for promotions.... I thank God everyday I did not have to face any of what these people must in order to raise children into responsible adults.

I don't know about the whole $15.00 thing. Personally, I love what the Swiss are considering.... that the CEO salary is within 12% of their lowest employee salary.....Maybe not that exact percent.... but some kind of correction between the unmitigated obscene 640 million a year bonus on top of salary of 230 million, in contrast to  so many kids living below the poverty line, with working parents..... I am most certainly all for corporate profit, and yet something has gone terribly awry in the last few decades.....

Whatever the case, I say send the kids to dad!!! Maybe if enough women do that, they'll begin to correct the weirdly resilient assumption that they alone bare the sole responsibility for the production of children.... and thereafter, the strange belief they alone have sole financial responsibility for raising them to adulthood..... While its most unusual that a woman would affix such blame or sole responsibility onto single female parents, I'd have to say....... I've yet to find even one single  female  parent who would not welcome the other parent's financial contribution in meeting their shared responsibility for their children......

And people shouldn't be eating at MacDs anyway. Haven't you guys heard about the pink slime? And with all the lead tainted chicken coming into the US from China (YES, the USDA authorized 5 plants in China) and the Monsanto gmo crops creating free radicals all over your little bodies,..... you'd probably be better off playing hop scotch on the freeway, than eating at MacD's these days....

Why doesn't she just send both kids back to dad. He was the other half of the two it takes for creating children (unless parthenogenesis has been perfected)....

I can't imagine what it takes to raise two kids on a single income, let alone one that is below the poverty line. Though I have seen a lot of worn out single mothers for whom it takes everything they've got just to get through it...Some of them who have supportive parents or mentors, seem to do a better job of trying to advance.... Going to school while working, takes a whole lot, (money sitters, time) and can be done... Though if you don't have some kind of support system (NOT money but mentors, parents, friends. etc etc), its a huge challenge.... And not to forget that these people are sometimes competing with kids who just graduated from college, or have a few college years under their belt, competing for promotions.... I thank God everyday I did not have to face any of what these people must in order to raise children into responsible adults.

I don't know about the whole $15.00 thing. Personally, I love what the Swiss are considering.... that the CEO salary is within 12% of their lowest employee salary.....Maybe not that exact percent.... but some kind of correction between the unmitigated obscene 640 million a year bonus on top of salary of 230 million, in contrast to  so many kids living below the poverty line, with working parents..... I am most certainly all for corporate profit, and yet something has gone terribly awry in the last few decades.....

Whatever the case, I say send the kids to dad!!!

Well Rayzur, since I have a little first hand knowledge of this, it is not always possible to "send the kids to dad". Especially if he has no desire to be a parent and goes to extremes to avoid supporting them. What would you suggest the Mother do, throw them away! She is caught in a trap - it may be of her own making but its still a trap.  Her only recourse is to grab her boot straps and pull herself up. Young Mothers do it every day and some of them do not have a support system to fall back on. Yes, it takes a lot of dedication and determination but it can be done. The ones that sit in dead end jobs and live on welfare have no real desire to better themselves they just want it handed to them. Young Mothers can work 2 jobs and still raise their children - I did!

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 3

TG, you're kind of making my point... albeit much more directly..... Women tend to be the parent who raises the children in a single parent home. And given they are the ones who step up time and time again, I have a hard time when the "masses" have so much to say about what or how they are doing it... My hat is off to them for stepping up. My ire, is that not enough is said about the other half of that equation, and rarely do I see many folks jump on the guy who simply fades away into the sunset.... to live another day..... absent any felt sense of responsibility to financially support the kids he helps create.

And honestly, I should have made a distinction.... I'm not talking about welfare moms.... don't really have any kind of actual knowledge or experience with generational welfare moms.... (except I would say, same rules.... where is welfare dad.... maybe vasectomies for those who play but never pay... I don't know... just a thought)... I'm talking about working moms who make barely above poverty level incomes.... (here in CA).

I have no personal experience at all with this. I do have 12 secretaries, all of them parents, and I think only 2 of them married or with dad in the home. Two of them lost husbands in MV accidents, (okay 1 car and 1 motorcycle).... I watch these women work their tails off, and frankly I've worked hard to support their promotion. At least 4 of them rightfully deserve it. At least. But in this economy, with frozen budget, those positions are not funded for them to promote into. And they still do the work.... they actually do the work they would promote into, without the pay.... Kills me...

I started a clothes exchange with them to help out with kids clothes.. and it works very well.... There are a two I pay to work on stuff here at home, and they bring their kids and do the work (all of it paperwork)... Actually my elderly nun friends came out to visit from Indiana, and they literally called work and invited all of them to my house, and when they arrived, they opened my closets and told them to take what they wanted... Apparently my friends thought I had too much stuff... and they were right... lol... Initially I was like WTF?? when I got home midst this fest.... but held my mud and thought about it... and they were right... (besides what could I possibly say when seeing the beaming smiles on two 80 year old nuns, who were having such a great time).... still don't know though if it was a dementia moment because of something I'd said (like wow I have too much stuff and need to pare down)..... or if it was in independent decision on their part.... But their smiles were priceless... and it was okay to help in this way.... They work themselves into the ground and honestly, I don't know how they could do anymore than they do, raising their kids, working themselves into dead tired every night, and coming back again. They are such good people... and they are barely making it.... and when I sit down and talk with them person to person, just kicking it.... those are the times I get really testy about anyone wanting to call them on the carpet..... with poppa out there prancing around as if there weren't a care in the world... oh that's right... there isn't .... he doesn't worry about feeding his kids....

Okay fine,. its true, I am very very protective of my staff, so this probably hit a nerve, ..... Guess I should start a prancing poppa vasectomy campaign huh :D :D :D

PS I believe what you and I did .... we did it in a world and a time that was much kinder than it is now........ People really did care about their neighbor back then. They even knew their names. It actually bothered people to see another person suffering... because we lived in a time when fewer suffered than those who did not. For as hard as it might have been.... I believe we lived in a very different time of humanity and compassion, that seems to be as antique as my toys are becoming..... I was born into money, and I've made money... and I guess I don't want that to isolate me from really getting that we're all  in it together, and I suppose in a spiritual way, mine is the question of how I choose to be responsible with that...... (and of course at the same time, have no thoughts as to how others might choose... we all have our individual journeys that are outs alone), and if I say something, its probably about me wanting to be responsible for at least taking the time to suggest there might be other ways to look at those who are having such a difficult  time in the world today.....  I don't know. I really don't.... its totally whacko these days... I wish I could do more. And we all do what we can. :peace:

Edited by Rayzur

I'm a bit confused by this post. Did the CEO actually say those things or SHOULD have said those things? The way its posted isnt really clear to me.

Also, I worked as a single papa for 4 years (son's mama died when he was 14 months) and I was able to make things work out. Yeah, it was some of the toughest times I ever experienced in my life (even worst than the Marines), but I kept my head-up, cried only when alone and got on with life.

Son is healthy, happy and never asks for his mama (cant remember her, actually). I have moved into a better position and am doing well.

If you THINK you are an $8/hr worker, then you ARE. Make your world and be happy with what you find.

• Upvote 1

These no doubt mostly illegal aliens strike is being paid for and  driven by the BO backed SEIU union.  The SEIU of course would love to unionize the food workers to increase their membership and ultimately their dues revenue.  These non union corporations need to stop them in their tracks.  $15/hr for a burger flipper.  What a joke. 

***///

she was too ignorant to pick a proper husband,

too ignorant to keep her knees together,

too ignorant to have a proper Father for her kids,

too ignorant to know where babies come from,

and too ignorant to get a better job after being at Mickey D's for a decade....?

The only thing this ignorant creature mastered was a sense of entitlement.

Can't fix stupid and apparently dumb is forever...... <_<

Nailed it gals !!!!

I'd like to say something... But... No comment.

Come on umbert grab your balls and spit it out. Its ok this is america where every one has the right to a opinion. 

Doesnt matter if we dont share your opinion. Thats the way freedom works

Never hold back dude 

Never

• Upvote 1

:blink: Okay...i've worked for McD's about 30 year ago.  one of me first jobs.  back then it was $5.25/hr.  even back they i had more sense to not accept that as a long term solution to my financial needs.  but i promised them if they hired me i'd stay at least 6 months.  at my interview my manager told me..."Why do you want to work here? you are WAY TOO over Qualified for this job." i told her "Yes, i know i'm over qualified for this Job, but times are hard right now and no one is hiring. But if you hire me today i'll stay for at least 6 months." 

and that i did. Six months later another opportunity was opened up for me. 

Now, the FIRST day i trained the drive thru and front counter register. Not much study necessary and cause i could understand the whole process.  the 2nd hour on the job i was alone in the drive thru taking multiple orders and handing out orders.  the Next day, i opened for the morning shift before the reg crew got there. prepped everything from Coffee to Eggs and opened the drive thru for the morning customer waiting out side. it was just me and my sup and and nice old retired woman that made the orders. for the next 2 hrs till the reg arrived. that same day before my shift ended.  the kitchen crew was getting slammed with orders...and without any training wot so ever, i went over to help them prep.

the owner saw me that 3rd day and said, "Joni!  you working both sides?!?! WT...you only be here 3 days!" ....i said to her, "like i said before...and you guys already know...'I'm to over qualified for this job, but thank you for the op..'"

since then, they gave me the keys to open the store in the mornings before the morning manager arrived to set the cash boxes up. 

but sort live my employment was, before the 3 month they offered me a Manager position, but i asked the other managers...how much more would you make as a manager...they all said...not much just about .25 cents more than wot you get now.  i was like "WTF?!? O_O thats it!?!?"  Thus, it was easy for me to turn down...that much stress to endure for only 25 cents more..."NOPE not for me!", i thought.  

but what the CEO was saying is correct...if you don't have the drive to to better and don't know what you think you are worth.  then, stuck in the rat race you will be. 

Edited by Shinnidan