Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

While We Wait - History of War

1456552_10152058563873270_325138713_n.jp

In Vietnam, maintaining intelligence of enemy strength and intended operations could be made possible by the search of enemy tunnels. Viet Cong tunnels could either be simple, shallow structures, or well-constructed, elaborate systems consisting of living quarters and manufacturing facilities. When tunnel entrances were found, grenades could be thrown in to drive out the enemy troops and any civilians, and then be searched.

Searching Viet Cong tunnels was usually conducted by more than one person. The man with the slimmest build did the exploring - referred to as the "tunnel rat." The tunnel rat would make their way through tunnel entrances to check for booby traps, defeat enemies in hiding, or plant explosives while someone waited atop and maintained communication.

• Upvote 1

That sounds like it's not a job for the weak of heart.... just another insight into the courage it takes to serve, in any capacity... but esp. the front line/point man's job!   :salute: 

Thanks again Bump... and thanks Maggie, much appreciated!!!  :blush: 

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 1

1521208_10152068074618270_843866456_n.pn

Today we honor V. Patrick Buckley of Falls Church, Virginia, who fell on this day in 1969. He is remembered by his fiance, Darlene: 

"Pat disappeared while returning to the USS Hancock, after completing a mission. He was a Navy recon pilot, stationed in the Gulf of Tonkin, Viet Nam. His body was never recovered. Not a day goes by that I don't think of all of the things that he would have accomplished and what could have been, if he had come home. He was just a great guy. My biggest hope now, is that his remains will be recovered and those of us who still miss him will finally have some closure." 

Patrick's photo struck me in a big way Bumper... I don't know why... maybe his beautiful eyes... maybe he could be my son.

Gosh I'm sick of wars.... Can we please find some peace???

US has outgrown it's britches... we don't need no more wars for corporate horrors.

DONE! FANNITO!

Anyone who supports this... just suit on up and get over there...

Dang It... Keep OUR kiddo's out of this.

1501754_10152068219823270_224169115_n.jp

Today we honor 1st Lt. Robert Byrnes of Carmichael, California, who fell in 1968. Today would have been his birthday. He is remembered by his brother, Jim: 

"Pleasure to meet you. My name First Lietenant Robert (Bob) Byrnes Everyone has a tale to tell. Some great and some not so. Mine ended like this
I had such a blast in high school. Before high school I went to Our Lady of the Assumption School and the new Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish then off to La Sierra High School. I enjoyed being on the Swim team, Water Polo and Archery, Coach Stan LeProtti and his physical fitness program were the best; we had great teachers at La Sierra High School. I worked at Carmichael Recreaton and Park District as a lifeguard, and Graduated at American River College I was on the water polo team there as well. I then found a job with Ma Bell (Pacific Bell) so as you know Uncle Sam needed some help so I enlisted in the U.S. Army, June 1965, went to Fort Ord Ca., then off to Fort Sill Ok.(OCS) school . Received my LT. bars and proudly my father pinned his LT. BARS on me. In July 1967 I was off to Vietnam. Just before Vietnam I met my wife at the Western Drive Inn in Downtown Carmichael and we were married on my R & R in Hi. January 1968 my best man was my RTO CPL Darrel A. Bondrowski, from Boothwyn, PA we were KIA together on Feb. 9th 1968. ROBERT ( BOB ) BYRNES, 1LT, Army, 1LT Byrnes was assigned to Battery A, 3rd Battalion, 82nd Artillery, 196th Light Infantry Brigade. He was killed in action during a firefight while serving as a Forward Observer with Company D, 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry. The Tet Offensive began in late January 1968 and heavy fighting continued through February. In Quang Nam Province, the 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry, lost fourteen men near Lo Giang on 9 Feb 1968"

• Upvote 1

226600_10152070060468270_758608752_n.jpg

The M-48 tank, with mounted machine guns, could travel up to 30 mph and was used to provide support for U.S. troops and the South Vietnamese. It was also known as the U.S. Army and Marine Corps's primary battle tank. Due to Vietnam's soggy jungle terrain, tanks were not used too extensively in combat. However, it was one of the few weapons that could reasonably protect soldiers from land mines and rocket-propelled grenades. 

• Upvote 1

1472726_10152072570013270_156848780_n.jp

Today we honor Francis P. Jelinek of Chicago, Illinois, who fell in 1967. Today would have been his birthday. He is remembered by his wife, Patricia:

"To Frank, my husband, friend, and my hero. You are loved, missed and remembered every day. Hope that you know what a success and beautiful person our daughter Lisa has become, I know you would be so proud of her. Looking forward to the day I will join you in heaven. Love you more, forever and a day....... Patricia"

• Upvote 1

1489298_10152074529768270_543038161_n.jp

Members of the 199th Infantry Brigade move through a leech infested irrigation canal while part participating in Operation Rang Dong near Cat Lai. Hours earlier, the group landed in rice paddies on part of a huge helicopter assault. 

Photo / Robert C. Lafoon US Army Sp Photo Det, Pacific

1475890_10152074014273270_1459834369_n.p

Eighteen hours after Mitty Mirrer was born, her father, Captain William A. Griffis III, was killed in Vietnam. For a long time she knew little to nothing about him until in 1997 her mother announced she wanted to go to Vietnam to visit the site where his helicopter had gone down. On that day, Mitty and her mother began a long process of healing. 

1466207_10152059926173270_959960133_n.jp

Today we honor Dan Bullock, known to be the youngest American serviceman KIA in the Vietnam War. Today would have been his birthday.

Dan, who “wanted to make his mark in life,” and “wanted to be something," was just 14 when he doctored his birth certificate and joined the Marine Corps. He fell at age 15.

1535501_10152080877318270_193841669_n.jp

Dec 22, 1972: Washington announces Linebacker II raids will continue until Hanoi agrees to negotiate talks "in a spirit of good will and in a constructive attitude." Earlier in the month, Vietnamese negotiators walked out of secret talks in Paris. President Nixon issued an ultimatum to North Vietnam to send its representatives back to the conference table within 72 hours "or else." They rejected, and in response the president ordered Operation Linebacker II - an intense bombing campaign of North Vietnam. It also became known as the "Christmas bombing."

1480726_10152081064823270_1188999235_n.j

Today we honor John Adam of Bethel, Kansas, who fell in 1968. Today would have been his birthday. He is remembered by the owner of his POW bracelet, Nancy:

"I've had his POW bracelet since the early 70's and always wondered who he was. Last year I looked his name up, and saw that he was found and returned back to his home with a full military burial. In honor of him, I printed out his picture with the story about him. I posted it up on my bulletin board in my cubicle at work, and silently say hi to him every morning. He will never be forgotten!"

1538666_10152083353298270_70920016_n.jpg

Today we honor Michael Minehan of Marlboro, Massachussets, who fell in 1968. Today would have been his birthday. He is remembered by his sister, Carol: 

"My brother, My hero. You will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace Marine. Love always, Your Family... SEMPER-FI" 

1468612_10152083622078270_998210200_n.jp

Today we honor Gerald Wade of Salem, Oregon, who fell on this day in 1969. He is remembered by his daughter, Katherine:

"I would like to share with my family & friends that I had a great life. I was born and lived in Idaho, then moved to Oregon where I met and married my wife Vivian Morrow. Enlisted in the army and started my journey for the country. Bought a ranch with my dad so that after my enlistment was up my family and I would settle down in Oregon and raise beef, sheep, and hay. Went to Germany, Japan, and several other places in the United States. Met a lot of new people and made a lot of friends. Some of the best friends & their family were Sgt Snuffer, Sgt Burns, Bill & Marge which now live in Washington."

• 4 weeks later...

1526309_10152137643183270_127666531_n.jp

Today we honor Lonnie Floyd of Chattanooga, Tennessee, who fell on this day in 1967. He is remembered by his sister, Brenda:

"Lonnie was a proud sky soldier who served with C/4/503 173d ABN during Operation Cedar Falls. He is remembered by his classmates from grade school through high school as an outstanding football player and great friend who always looked out for the underdog. He was my big brother who I loved dearly as did all of his family. Our lives were changed forever when he was killed and we will never forget him. His many nieces and nephews will know their Uncle Lonnie and the ultimate sacrifice he made for our country. He'll always be the adventurous and strong brother the Lord blessed our family with for 19 years. Rest in peace Lonnie."

Thanks for all your hard work and contribution to this Bumper!!!!

It just occurred to me, I don't come onto this particular thread.... and finally figured out why... and was wondering if any of the other vets have a hard time with this, as in  a hard time reading it.... (then again, I guess if you do, you won't be in here to answer one way or the other).... Probably just an aspect of my make-up... Seeing images that represent the hardships and loss of war is one thing.... and when you start putting names and faces and lives with real people, it becomes something totally different... It becomes more real....and it joins those other aspects to be pushed out of sight out of mind....

And by all means, of course keep posting these..... just curious if any other vets have that sense or reaction?

Thanks again Bumper !!!!

• Upvote 3

AS A US MARINE VETERAN, I SALUTE ALL WHO SERVED WITH ME IN VIETNAM NO MATTER WHICH SERVICE THEY WERE IN. IN ORDER FOR A BATTLE TO BE WON, WE ALL HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER AND PRAY THAT OTHERS WORK WITH US.  THERE WERE MANY BATTLES FOUGHT AND SOME WERE WON AND OTHERS WERE LOST BUT WE CARRY ON. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I SAW THE THREAD AND THANK YOU BUMPER FOR CREATING SUCH AN HONORABLE SITE. TEARS ROLLED DOWN MY CHEEKS AS I READ AND SAW THESE ARTICLES, ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE NVA SOLDIER AND HIS DAUGHTER'S PICTURE. MANY YEARS MAY GO BY BUT IT ONLY TAKES A FEW SECONDS FOR EMOTIONS TO SHOW WHEN SEEING SOMETHING LIKE THAT. ONCE AGAIN, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR POST AND KEEP IT GOING.    SEMPER FI       :salute: 

• Upvote 2

Please know that this thread was only meant to show respect to our past and present hero's and I am sorry to cause anyone discomfort!  My father is on the first post and I am very proud for everything he did for this country and for me!! :)

Absolutely Bumper as you should be proud of him.......and I almost didn't pose the question, as I didn't want you to feel in any way responsible for discomfort or whatever..I think there's some things  about being a human engaged in warfare that we don't fully understand... and I'm always curious in figuring out how it all comes together in people's lives..... You are not responsible for how I react (or don't), , and this is a remarkable piece of history.. I think its a great tribute and am glad you are posting.... I was just curious how other vets responded, and wondered if there was a tinge or avoidance in the faces and names becoming so much more real.... I in turn am sorry if I caused you discomfort in asking the question.... And thanks for the care you show in posting this thread :)

• Upvote 2

1507554_10152140755683270_308713486_n.jp

Today we honor Herman Gurr of Green Cove Springs, Florida, who fell on this day in 1967. He is remembered by his son, Terence: 

"I was 3 when he was KIA and despite "experts" telling me I should have no recollections of him, I do. I can look at some of the pictures with him and I in them and tell you what happened before and after the photo. He is my inspiration in life. I love you, Dad!!"