Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

While We Wait - History of War

10516820_10152753411533270_6067829677268

Today we honor Demetrio Hernandez of Patterson, California, who fell on this day in 1967. He is remembered by his niece and goddaughter, Catherine: 

"Allow I was very young when he was taken from us, I remember him well. I still to this day feel his love surrounding and guiding our family. I am so very proud of my uncle Demetrio Lomeli Hernandez." 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10653516_10152753378238270_2202558272850

Today we honor Richard Griffith of Ely, Nevada, who fell on this day in 1968. He is remembered by his friend, Glen: 

"Today we honor Richard O. Griffith of Ely, NV who fell on this date in 1968. His friends and relatives from Ely and White Pine County remember him with love and respect. Rodney is listed as one of the “Ely 15.” Semper Fidelis, Richard. Rest in Peace." 

Thank you for serving: http://bit.ly/ZreZXt

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

10492166_10152882971673270_2501895141530

Today we honor Willford L Dyer of Cleveland, Tennessee, who fell in 1968. Today would have been his birthday. He is remembered by his daughter, Sharon: 

"Dad, I miss you so much and I know I will see you again one day. There has never been a birthday went bye that I didn't wish you a happy Birthday in Heaven. You are my Hero . Love your Baby girl."

14418_10152882972043270_5307409882028394

Today we honor Richard Fitts of Abington, Massachusetts, who fell on this day in 1968. He is remembered by a fellow veteran, Bob: 

"Richard Allan Fitts
Remains Identified - 1990."

http://bit.ly/1FH0lJO

10734252_10152882973108270_7210416176427

Today we honor Charles Hyatt of Balsam, North Carolina, who passed away on this day in 1993. He is remembered by his son, Michael: 

"He survived Vietnam and came home with a Purple Heart. Served his country for decades unaware of the hidden damage Vietnam inflicted upon him. One year after retirement, he left this world. I miss him every day. I wish I could hear his voice just one more time. I love you, Dad."

We honor heroes like Charles, whose life was cut short as a result of his service, through our In Memory program: vvmf.org/inmemoryprogram

• Upvote 1

Let us not forget this date-----December 7, 1941.     And to those who lost their lives.

Thank You Vietnam1969... I just watched this video and it was very well done...the end was especially touching.

December 7, 1941 will never be forgotten...it's incredible/horrible what our men went through.

Thanks again for binging in this remembrance of our fine men who were in Pearl Harbor that day.

• Upvote 2

Let us not forget this date-----December 7, 1941.     And to those who lost their lives.

Thanks Vietnam1969 for keeping things straight in this thread.  I was out of town hunting this past weekend and had no access to the Internet to show respect to our veterans both past and present of the Dec 7th attack on Pearl Harbor and the United States

Maggie, that goes for you too!!  Thank You

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bumper for the great honor of remembering these fine men and women who have sacrificed their All for the service to their country and to the citizens; not only here in the United states but to those all around the world where we have fought.  I only wish that the families could see what you do to honor these heroes here on this site. As a veteran, I applaud you for the honor you give them. Keep up the great work.

So Do I Bumper...

These stories touch my heart in so many ways... I can't begin to tell you.

Thank You For All Your Hard Work And The Due Diligence On This Thread...

Very Much Appreciated.

Edited by Maggie123

Mervyn Sharp Bennion 210px-Mervyn_Sharp_Bennion.jpg90px-Moh_right.gif Born May 5, 1887

Vernon, Utah Died December 7, 1941 (aged 54)

KIA during the attack on Pearl Harbor Place of burial Salt Lake City, Utah Allegiance 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States of America Service/branch 25px-United_States_Department_of_the_Nav United States Navy Years of service 1910-1941 Rank 25px-US-O6_insignia.svg.png Captain Commands held USS Bernadou (DD-153)

Destroyer Division One

USS West Virginia (BB-48) Battles/wars World War I

World War II Awards Medal of Honor       :salute:

• Upvote 1

Samuel Glenn Fuqua 90px-Moh_right.gif

200px-Samuel_G_Fuqua.jpg

Commander Samuel G. Fuqua
Born October 15, 1899

Laddonia, Missouri Died January 27, 1987 (aged 87)

Decatur, Georgia Allegiance 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States of America Service/branch 25px-United_States_Department_of_the_Nav United States Navy Years of service 1923–1953 Rank 15px-US-O7_insignia.svg.png Rear Admiral Unit USS Arizona (BB-39)

USS Macdonough (DD-331)

USS Mississippi (BB-41)

USS Tuscaloosa (CA-37) Commands held USS Bittern

USS Dixie (AD-14) Battles/wars

World War I

World War II

Korean War Awards Medal of Honor     :salute:
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

10985966_946317008732290_193215525670383

This Day in Military History
19 February, 1945 - The recipient of the Medal of Honor for valor and gallantry at Guadalcanal, Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone was among the Marines who hit the black sand beaches of Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945. When the Marines' advance was held up by concentrated fire from a Japanese Blockhouse, Basilone directed an attack to eliminate this enemy position. Free to move off the beach, Basilone lead the Marines forward to just near the Motoyama Number One airfield. He ordered the Marines to hold the ground, "come hell or high water" while he went back to get reinforcements. As he ran forward with a fresh group of Marines, a Motor exploded in their midst, killing John Basilone. In an instant, the Marine Corps had lost one of its great war fighters.

Source: Sgt. Maj. Bryan B. Battaglia, Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman, JCS

Sergeant Basilone was the first recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor awarded in World War II. In addition, Sergeant Basilone was also awarded the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart, giving him the distinction of being the only enlisted Marine in World War II to receive all 3 medals. 

He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA, Section 12, Site 384.

Semper Fi, sir. May you continue to rest in peace.

You Are Not Forgotten.