Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

While We Wait - History of War

AKVET ----- YOUR FRIEND WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY PROUD OF YOU AS YOU WERE OF HIM.pitsenbarger2.jpg

A1C William H. Pitsenbarger

Pitsenbarger Receives Medal of Honor Posthumously

by Tech. Sgt. John Dendy IV

Air Force News

8 December 2000 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- Airman 1st Class William H. Pitsenbarger was posthumously awarded the nation's highest honor during a presentation ceremony at the U.S. Air Force Museum here Dec. 8.

Pitsenbarger, a pararescueman killed in action during the Vietnam War, becomes the service's second enlisted Medal of Honor recipient since the Air Force became a separate service in 1947.

The airman's father, William F. Pitsenbarger, and his wife, Alice, accepted the award from Secretary of the Air Force Whit Peters. The audience included battle survivors, hundreds of pararescue airmen, a congressional representative and the Air Force chief of staff.

Pitsenbarger was awarded the Medal of Honor for treating and protecting scores of wounded infantrymen -- while under intense enemy fire and being mortally wounded himself -- in a rain forest stronghold near the Vietnamese capital of Saigon in 1966.

His actions during the mission were initially recognized with a posthumous award of the Air Force Cross. That award is the military's second-highest for service members, and the highest award the Air Force can bestow.

Upon further review in the 1990s, a number of private citizens and federal officials successfully advocated that the Medal of Honor would more accurately characterize Pitsenbarger's heroism.

The medal is presented to its recipient on behalf of the president of the United States and in the name of Congress.

"After this mission is complete, the light of Bill Pitsenbarger's valor will remain, reminding us of him and the sacrifices so many have made, that others may live," Peters said.

The Medal of Honor is awarded to individuals who, while serving in the U.S. armed services, distinguish themselves by conspicuous gallantry and courage at the risk of life, above and beyond the call of duty.          :salute: 

• Upvote 1

1782010_10152197450323270_1195322212_n.j

Today we honor Robert (Bob) Byrnes of Carmichael, California, who fell on this day in 1968. He is remembered by his brother and only surviving family member, Jim: 

"May we never forget our local Hero First Lieutenant Robert (Bob) Byrnes. A BTRY, 3RD BN, 82ND ARTILLERY, 196 INF BDE Field Artillery Unit Commander. Started tour in Vietnam on 07/09/1967.
Died in Quang Nam, South Vietnam 02/09/1968. Robert's name can be found on Panel 38E Line 046 of the Vietnam Memorial, Washington D.C."

Medal of Honor

PROM, WILLIAM R. *

Rank and organization: Lance Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, Company I, 3d Battalion, 3d Marines, 3d Marine Division (Rein), FMF

Place and date: Near An Hoa, Republic of Vietnam. 9 February 1969

Entered service at: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Born: 17 November 1948, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gun squad leader with Company I, in action against the enemy. While returning from a reconnaissance operation during Operation Taylor Common, 2 platoons of Company I came under an intense automatic weapons fire and grenade attack from a well concealed North Vietnamese Army force in fortified positions. The leading, element of the platoon was isolated and several marines were wounded. L/Cpl. Prom immediately assumed control of 1 of his machine guns and began to deliver return fire. Disregarding his safety he advanced to a position from which he could more effectively deliver covering fire while first aid was administered to the wounded men. Realizing that the enemy would have to be destroyed before the injured marines could be evacuated, L/Cpl. Prom again moved forward and delivered a heavy volume of fire with such accuracy that he was instrumental in routing the enemy, thus permitting his men to regroup and resume their march. Shortly thereafter, the platoon again came under heavy fire in which 1 man was critically wounded. Reacting instantly, L/Cpl. Prom moved forward to protect his injured comrade. Unable to continue his fire because of his severe wounds, he continued to advance to within a few yards to the enemy positions. There, standing in full view of the enemy, he accurately directed the fire of his support elements until he was mortally wounded. Inspired by his heroic actions, the marines launched an assault that destroyed the enemy. L/Cpl. Prom's indomitable courage, inspiring initiative and selfless devotion to duty upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Prom.jpg

prom2.jpg

William R. Prom's Grave Site

The grave is located in Allegheny County Memorial Park

Block 2J ( Veterans Section), Section 11, Grave 11

1600 Duncan Avenue

Allison Park, PA 15101

412 366-8296

prom1.jpg

Memorial to William R. Prom

Erected 1995, Located in Reserves Township, PA           :salute: 

• Upvote 1

1780701_10152199941828270_550979070_n.jp

Today we honor John "Jack" Francis of Elmhurst, Illinois, who fell on this day in 1970. He is remembered by his nephew, Mike: 

"Unfortunately, I only know of stories, being I was born 7 years after he was KIA. I do know of a time he was on leave. He & my mother were in a Chicago bar. Mike Ditka & Ed O'Bradovich were there. My mother approached them & asked if she could introduce him. She told them he was on leave & wold be returning to "nam" soon. They not only accepted, but approached him, bought him a beer & shared a brief, but memorable exchange. He played football in HS & College. He was also a huge Bears fan, so it meant the world to him. My mother's a Ditka fan to this day. God Bless them for making a young Marine's day." 

See John's Virtual Wall of Faces page:http://bit.ly/1npybdj

• Upvote 1

Home > Fact Sheets > Lt. Col. George A. Davis Jr. 

LT. COL. GEORGE A. DAVIS JR.

Posted 6/17/2010 transparent.gif Printable Fact Sheet 

Photos leftArrow.jpg 1 of 2 rightArrow.jpg

120508-F-DW547-007.jpg Lt. Col. George A. Davis Jr. (U.S. Air Force photo) Download HiRes

Lt. Col. George Andrew Davis Jr. was a P-47 fighter ace in the Pacific theater in World War II, with seven victories to his credit. In October 1951 he went to Korea as commander of the 334th Squadron, 4th Fighter Interceptor Group. Within a few months, he became the leading ace of the Korean War.

On Feb. 10, 1952, Davis and his wingman encountered 12 MiG-15s approaching friendly fighter-bombers on an interdiction mission. Davis sped into combat and quickly destroyed two MiGs. While pursuing a third MiG, his aircraft sustained a direct hit and crashed. At his death, he had 14 victories in Korea to his credit. He was posthumously promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1953.

Medal of Honor Citation

Major George Andrew Davis, Jr., United States Air Force, 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, 5th Air Force, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 10 February 1952, near Sinuiju-Yalu River area, Korea. While leading a flight of four F-86 Saberjets on a combat aerial patrol mission near the Manchurian border, Major. Davis' element leader ran out of oxygen and was forced to retire from the flight with his wingman accompanying him. Major Davis and the remaining F-86's continued the mission and sighted a formation of approximately 12 enemy MiG-15 aircraft speeding southward toward an area where friendly fighter-bombers were conducting low level operations against the Communist lines of communications. With selfless disregard for the numerical superiority of the enemy, Major Davis positioned his two aircraft, then dove at the MiG formation. While speeding through the formation from the rear he singled out a MiG-15 and destroyed it with a concentrated burst of fire. Although he was now under continuous fire from the enemy fighters to his rear, Major Davis sustained his attack. He fired at another MiG-15 which, bursting into smoke and flames, went into a vertical dive. Rather than maintain his superior speed and evade the enemy fire being concentrated on him, he elected to reduce his speed and sought out still a third MiG-15. During this latest attack his aircraft sustained a direct hit, went out of control, then crashed into a mountain 30 miles south of the Yalu River. Major Davis' bold attack completely disrupted the enemy formation, permitting the friendly fighter-bombers to successfully complete their interdiction mission. Major. Davis, by his indomitable fighting spirit, heroic aggressiveness, and superb courage in engaging the enemy against formidable odds exemplified valor at its highest.

Click here to return to the Medal of Honor Overview.        :salute: 

• Upvote 1

1898098_10152202978458270_475242115_n.jp

Today we honor Staff Sgt. Andrew E. Le Beau, Jr., who fell on this day in 1968 in Bien Hoa, Vietnam. He was asleep in his barracks when it was struck by a rocket. He was a part of the 3rd Field Maintenance Squadron as a airplane mechanic. He was born 30 April 1938. He is remembered by his daughter, Melissa: 

"I was born December 27, 1967 so I never knew my dad. Starting in 1993 I was able to collect information & was able to be in contact with his mother & half-sister. It wasn't until 1996 or 1997 that I learned of his father's side & was able to meet his father & his step-siblings."

Stand with all veterans: http://bit.ly/1a1Vfy2

Thomas W. Bennett (conscientious objector)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas William Bennett 200px-Thomas_W_Bennett.jpg 70px-Cmoh_army.jpg

Corporal Thomas Bennett
Born April 7, 1947

Morgantown, West Virginia Died February 11, 1969 (aged 21)

Chu Pa Region, Pleiku Province,Republic of Vietnam Allegiance 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States of America Service/branch United States Army Years of service 1968–1969 Rank Corporal Unit 14th Infantry Regiment4th Infantry Division Battles/wars Vietnam War Awards Medal of Honor

Purple Heart

Thomas William Bennett (April 7, 1947 – February 11, 1969) was a U.S. Army medic and the second conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor (Desmond Doss, a medic in World War II, was the first). Bennett was killed in action during the Vietnam War and posthumouslyreceived the Medal of Honor.

Biography[edit]

Born in Morgantown, West Virginia, Thomas W. Bennett was sociable and deeply religious. While a student at West Virginia University, he formed the Campus Ecumenical Council during his freshman year.

When he was placed on academic probation after the Fall 1967 semester, he considered his options should he lose his academic deferment. Deeply patriotic, but opposed to killing on religious grounds, he opted to enlist as a conscientious objector who was willing to serve. This classification is different from a conscientious objector who will not assist the military in any way. He was trained as a field medic.

Cpl. Thomas W. Bennett arrived in South Vietnam on January 1, 1969, and was assigned to Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry in the Central Highlands of Vietnam. The unit began a series of strenuous patrols in the dense, mountainous terrain. On February 9, 1969, the unit came under intense fire, and Cpl. Bennett risked gunfire to pull at least five wounded men to safety. That evening, his platoon sergeant recommended him for the Silver Star.

Over the coming days, Cpl. Bennett repeatedly put himself in harm's way to tend to the wounded. On February 11, while attempting to reach a soldier wounded by sniper fire, Cpl. Bennett was gunned down. On April 7, 1970, his posthumous Medal of Honor was presented to his mother and stepfather by President Richard Nixon.

A dormitory tower at West Virginia University's Evansdale Residential Complex is named in his honor.

A medical clinic at Fort Hood is named in his honor.

Medal of Honor citation[edit]

Rank and organization: CorporalUnited States Army, 2nd Platoon, Company B, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment.

Place and date: Chu Pa Region, Pleiku Province, Republic of Vietnam, 9-11 February 1969

Entered service at: Fairmont, West Virginia

Birth: Morgantown, West Virginia Born: 7 April 1947,

Citation
50px-Cmoh_army.jpg

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Cpl. Bennett distinguished himself while serving as a platoon medical aidman with the 2d Platoon, Company B, during a reconnaissance-in-force mission. On 9 February the platoon was moving to assist the 1st Platoon of Company D which had run into a North Vietnamese ambush when it became heavily engaged by the intense small arms, automatic weapons, mortar and rocket fire from a well fortified and numerically superior enemy unit. In the initial barrage of fire, 3 of the point members of the platoon fell wounded. Cpl. Bennett, with complete disregard for his safety, ran through the heavy fire to his fallen comrades, administered life-saving first aid under fire and then made repeated trips carrying the wounded men to positions of relative safety from which they would be medically evacuated from the battle position. Cpl. Bennett repeatedly braved the intense enemy fire moving across open areas to give aid and comfort to his wounded comrades. He valiantly exposed himself to the heavy fire in order to retrieve the bodies of several fallen personnel. Throughout the night and following day, Cpl. Bennett moved from position to position treating and comforting the several personnel who had suffered shrapnel and gunshot wounds. On 11 February, Company B again moved in an assault on the well fortified enemy positions and became heavily engaged with the numerically superior enemy force. Five members of the company fell wounded in the initial assault. Cpl. Bennett ran to their aid without regard to the heavy fire. He treated 1 wounded comrade and began running toward another seriously wounded man. Although the wounded man was located forward of the company position covered by heavy enemy grazing fire and Cpl. Bennett was warned that it was impossible to reach the position, he leaped forward with complete disregard for his safety to save his comrade's life. In attempting to save his fellow soldier, he was mortally wounded. Cpl. Bennett's undaunted concern for his comrades at the cost of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

:salute:
  • Upvote 1

I was only married once... to a very selfish/bad man.

Been single for many.... many....  years.

Why??? The American Guberment took out the majority of my mates in the Vietnam war.

I love... miss...  and honor them all.... every single one of them. :)

Just one love would have meant alot to me. :)

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1

1417560_10151944907638270_1075828108_o.j

On this day in 1973, the release of U.S. POWs begins. Pictured: newly freed prisoners of war celebrate as their C-141A aircraft lifts off from Hanoi, North Vietnam during Operation Homecoming. The Paris peace settlement made it possible for 591 POWs to return to American soil.

1795718_10152205214458270_236426594_n.jp

Today we honor Wade Groth of Greenville, Michigan, who fell on this day in 1968. Here he is remembered by Lyn, who wears his bracelet: 

"I have worn Wade's POW/MIA bracelet since I was 12 y/o. He is still missing, but NEVER FORGOTTEN. Wade was a crew chief on a night time DUSTOFF medical evacuation when the UH1H dustoff chopper disappeared on February 12, 1968."

anc-top2.gif 
Henry Capehart 
Major General, United States Army wv.gifHenry Capehart of Pennsylvania 
Appointed from West Virginia, Surgeon, 1st West Virginia Cavalry, 6 September 1861 
Colonel, 22 February 1864 
Breveted Brigadier General, U. S. Volunteers, 13 March 1865, for gallant and distinguihed service 
Breveted Major General, U. S. Volunteers, 17 June 1865, for gallant and meritorious service in the war 
Honorably mustered out 8 July 1865 
Awarded a Medal of Honor, 12 February 1895, for having saved, under fire, the life of a drowning soldier at Greenbriar River, Virginia, 22 May 1864 
Died 15 April 1895

henry-capehart-photo-01.jpg 
Photo Courtesy of The Home of Heroes

Born on March 18, 1825, he earned the Medal of Honor while serving as Colonel, 1st West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry at Greenbrier River, West Virginia on May 22, 1864. The Medal was actually issued on February 12, 1895.

He was commissioned as Surgeon, 1st West Virginia Cavalry, September 6, 1861, Colonel, February 22, 1864 and mustered out of the volunteer service in July 1865. The Medal was issued for saving a drowning soldier under fire.

He died on April 12, 1895 and was buried in Section 1 of Arlington National Cemetery. His wife, Elizabeth Kingsley Capehart (March 8, 1829-March 7, 1908), lies with him.

Webmaster: Michael Robert Patterson

CAPEHART, HENRY 
PVT/MAJ/GEN US VOLS CW 
DATE OF DEATH: 04/15/1895 
BURIED AT: SECTION W/SID  SITE L 140/P 
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

CAPEHART, ELIZABETH K W/O HENRY 
DATE OF DEATH: 03/07/1908 
BURIED AT: SECTION W DIV  SITE LOT 140 
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY 
  WIFE OF HENRY CAPEHART, GENL US VOL

CAPEHART, HENRY

Rank and organization: Colonel, 1st West Virginia Cavalry. Place and date: At Greenbrier River, West Virginia, 22 May 1864. Entered service at: Bridgeport, Ohio. Born: 18 March 1825, Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania. Date of issue: 12 February 1895.

Citation: Saved, under fire, the life of a drowning soldier.

hcapehar.jpg
  • Upvote 1

The Thomas Creek Story

A Common Man of Uncommon Valor

For The Full Story & Gene McPherson Interview & Photos ( click on link)

Tom did not want his brothers to have to go to Vietnam so he would write home telling them not to join the Marines. In the fall of 68, Tom wrote, ‘I can’t hear out of my right ear at all because of this damn place.’ I have scars all over my face from bombs & gun powder & I look like I am 40 years old. I smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day & my nerves are so shot I can’t even hold a cup in my hand.’ Later, he would also write, ‘ I’m not telling you a bunch of ****, this place is hell. Please. for God’s sakes, please wait until I get home & see me before you make the mistake of your life.’Thomas E. Creek born April 7th, 1950 was one of three boys born to Ross & Bobbie Creek in Joplin, Missouri. The family would soon move to Amarillo, Texas to be closer to Tom’s grandparents. Tom joined the Marine Corps in January, 1968 & arrived in Vietnam July 4th, 1968. He reported to Echo Co. 2Nd. Bn., 27Th. Marines as a rifleman. In September, 1968 Tom was assigned To India Co. 3Rd. Bn. 9Th. Marines, Third Mar. Div. As a fire team leader, he was promoted to lance Corporal on November 1, 1968. He quickly earned the nickname of ‘Billy The Kid’ due to his young age & occupation.

On Friday, February 13, Tom volunteered to ride support for one of our convoys taking supplies to Vandergrift Combat Base, they were running short of ammunition, food & Medical supplies. Just outside Cam Lo the convoy was ambushed with small arms fire & mortars, One of the transport vehicles was destroyed by a mine & that held up the rest of the convoy. L/Cpl Creek jumped out of his truck to take a better position from which he could return fire.

Tom was wounded in the neck, he turned, & started running back in the direction of the convoy. With blood pouring from his wound, he saw an enemy grenade being tossed into a ravine where five Marines had gathered, Sgt. Gene McPherson was one of those Marines. McPherson remembers the second when Tom looked at him eye to eye from a distance & yelled ,’ I’ve got it, Mac!’ as he dove on top of the enemy grenade. There was a great flash as Tom’s body rose with the explosion and then fell dead to the ground. McPherson and the rest of the Marines in the convoy drew courage from what they had just witnessed, they went on to defeat the enemy forces and the convoy was able to complete its vital mission.

Tom Creeks courageous act saved the lives of Sgt. Gene McPherson and the other 4 Marines that were together that day. Sgt. McPherson said that he and the other four Marines charged the knoll where the grenade had come from & killed the person who had thrown it. The person who had tossed the grenade into the ravine that fateful day, was a woman. For his bravery, Thomas E. Creek was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Tom Creek is buried in Llano Cemetery in Amarillo. Texas.

All three boys would grow up to become United States Marines.

Roy joined the Corps in December, 1969 & served two tours in Vietnam. Ross Jr. was drafted & went into the Marine Corps, but due to Roy’s presence in Vietnam, Ross did not have to serve in combat.

Three people lost their lives that day in February, 1969. L/Cpl. Thomas Creek of India-3/9, L/Cpl. Daniel Henry of 7th. M.T.Bn. & Sgt. Garson White of H&S Co., (a scout dog handler) with 1st. M.P.Bn. assigned to 3rd. M.P.Bn. There were also 11 W.I.A.’s.

In my opinion the Marine Corps provides the best training in the World, You are definitely ready & able to defend yourself & your Country upon completion of that training. Tom Creek was not trained to fall on that grenade, that came from deep within, Tom knew what the results of his actions would be, certain death, yet he choose to save the lives of his fellow Marines instead of his own. That sacrifice is the ultimate example of what a hero is. Tom Creek, will always be, our Hero. May The Good Lord Bless & Keep You.              :salute:

• Upvote 1

1506916_10152302813799175_1759599500_n.j

Do you know about US Marine Corps Major Megan McClung? Megan was a graduate of the US Naval Academy. She was a tri athlete and the daughter of a Marine officer, Mike McClung, who served in Vietnam. In December 2006 she was escorting journalists to a meeting in Ramadi Iraq when her Humvee was hit with a bomb. She was killed with two other American troops. Her father had a simple request, “ We who have fought have a Legacy of Service, we only ask that you let us know that we are not forgotten. Megan was a Major in the USMC

Did you know that Megan’s photograph and that the Legacy of Service of veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan will be an integral part of the Education Center at The Wall? Heal The Wounds: Honor The Warrior is our mission. Several times a day the photos of the fallen from these recent wars will be shown in the Education Center at The Wall. Those of us who served in Vietnam are a part of a Americas’ Legacy of Service. As Mike McClung asked, let us not be forgotten. Last month Mike McClung was buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full honors. Learn more about the Education Center at www.vvmf.org.

• Upvote 1

GREAT POST BUMPER.  I HAVE NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS BEFORE NOW. THANKS AND SEMPER FI TO MEGAN AND MIKE McCLUNG AND ALL OTHERS WHO HAVE SERVED OR IS PRESENTLY SERVING THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS.       :salute: 

Elmer Charles Bigelow

Elmer Charles Bigelow 220px-Elmer_Charles_Bigelow.jpg
Watertender Second Class Elmer Charles Bigelow
Born July 12, 1920
HebronIllinois Died February 15, 1945 (aged 24)
Manila BayPhilippines Place of burial Linn-Hebron Cemetery
Hebron, Illinois
Allegiance United States of America Service/branch United States Naval Reserve Years of service 1942 – 1945 Rank Watertender First Class(posthumous) Unit USS Fletcher (DD-445) Awards Medal of Honor

Elmer Charles Bigelow (July 12, 1920 – February 15, 1945) was a United States Navy sailor and a recipient of America's highest military decoration, the Medal of Honor.

Biography[edit]

Elmer Charles Bigelow was born in HebronIllinois, on July 12, 1920. He was the son of Albert Dewey Bigelow (son of Senaca and Isabelle Angeline (née Hamilton) Bigelow) and Verna Grabbert (daughter of Charles Grabbert and Minnie Puttresse who were both born in Germany). *(See: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=91266360)*

He enlisted in the Naval Reserve at ChicagoIllinois in September 1942 and received training atNaval Station Great Lakes in North ChicagoIllinois, and at LawrenceKansas, before being assigned as a Fireman Third Class on board the destroyer USS Fletcher (DD-445) in June 1943. While serving in that ship, he advanced in rate to watertender second class.

On February 14, 1945, Bigelow's actions averted tragedy on board the USS Fletcher. While assisting minesweeping operations prior to landings on Manila Bay's Corregidor IslandFletcherwas hit by an enemy shell which penetrated the No. 1 gun magazine, igniting several powdercases. Bigelow picked up a pair of fire extinguishers and rushed below in a resolute attempt to quell the raging flames. Refusing to waste the precious time required to don rescue-breathing apparatus, Bigelow plunged through the blinding smoke billowing out of the magazine hatch and dropped into the blazing compartment. Despite the acrid, burning powder smoke which seared his lungs, he succeeded in quickly extinguishing the fires and in cooling the cases andbulkheads, thereby preventing further damage to the ship. However Bigelow was badly injured and succumbed to his injuries the following day.

Bigelow was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity". Bigelow was buried in Linn-Hebron Cemetery in Hebron, Illinois.

150px-Elmer_Bigelow_Medal_of_Honor%2C_ob
150px-Elmer_Bigelow_Medal_of_Honor%2C_re
Bigelow's Medal of Honor, front and back
Namesake[edit]

The destroyer USS Bigelow (DD-942), 1957–1990, was named in his honor.

Elmer Bigelow's official Navy Medal of Honor citation is as follows:

See also

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving on board the U.S.S. Fletcher during action against enemy Japanese forces off Corregidor Island in the Philippines, February 14, 1945. Standing topside when an enemy shell struck the Fletcher, BIGELOW, acting instantly as the deadly projectile exploded into fragments which penetrated the No. 1 gun magazine and set fire to several powder cases, picked up a pair of fire extinguishers and rushed below in a resolute attempt to quell the raging flames. Refusing to waste the precious time required to don rescue-breathing apparatus, he plunged through the blinding smoke billowing out of the magazine hatch and dropped into the blazing compartment. Despite the acrid, burning powder smoke which seared his lungs with every agonizing breath, he worked rapidly and with instinctive sureness and succeeded in quickly extinguishing the fires and in cooling the cases and bulkheads, thereby preventing further damage to the stricken ship. Although he succumbed to his injuries on the following day, BIGELOW, by his dauntless valor, unfaltering skill and prompt action in the critical emergency, had averted a magazine explosion which undoubtedly would have left his ship wallowing at the mercy of the furiously pounding Japanese guns on Corregidor, and his heroic spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of almost certain death enhanced and sustained the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

[edit] 30px-Commons-logo.svg.png Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elmer Charles Bigelow.References[edit]

• This page was last modified on 2 April 2013                                            :salute:
  • Upvote 1

Manuel Perez Jr.

Manuel%20Perez%20Jr..JPG

Rank and Ogranization: 

Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company A, 511th Parachute Infantry, 11th Airborne Division

Place: 

Fort William McKinley, Luzon. Philippine Islands

Event Date: 

February 13, 1945

Entered Service: 

Chicago, Ill.

Birth: 

3 March 1923 Oklahoma City, Okla

G.O.No: 

124, 27 December 1945

Citation: 

He was lead scout for Company A, which had destroyed 11 of 12 pillboxes in a strongly fortified sector defending the approach to enemy-held Fort William McKinley on Luzon, Philippine Islands. In the reduction of these pillboxes, he killed 5 Japanese in the open and blasted others in pillboxes with grenades. Realizing the urgent need for taking the last emplacement, which contained 2 twin-mount .50-caliber dual-purpose machineguns, he took a circuitous route to within 20 yards of the position, killing 4 of the enemy in his advance. He threw a grenade into the pillbox, and, as the crew started withdrawing through a tunnel just to the rear of the emplacement, shot and killed 4 before exhausting his clip. He had reloaded and killed 4 more when an escaping Japanese threw his rifle with fixed bayonet at him. In warding off this thrust, his own rifle was knocked to the ground. Seizing the Jap rifle, he continued firing, killing 2 more of the enemy. He rushed the remaining Japanese, killed 3 of them with the butt of the rifle and entered the pillbox, where he bayoneted the 1 surviving hostile soldier. Singlehandedly, he killed 18 of the enemy in neutralizing the position that had held up the advance of his entire company. Through his courageous determination and heroic disregard of grave danger, Pfc. Perez made possible the successful advance of his unit toward a valuable objective and provided a lasting inspiration for his comrades.

• Upvote 1

TODAY I SALUTE PFC LOUIS E WILLETT----MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENT      :salute: 

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pride in presenting the Medal of Honor (Posthumously) to Private First Class Louis Edward Willett (ASN: 51580250), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a rifleman with Company C, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, in action against enemy aggressor forces at Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 15 February 1967. Private First Class Willett's squad was conducting a security sweep when it made contact with a large enemy force. The squad was immediately engaged with a heavy volume of automatic weapons fire and pinned to the ground. Despite the deadly fusillade, Private First Class Willett rose to his feet firing rapid bursts from his weapon and moved to a position from which he placed highly effective fire on the enemy. His action allowed the remainder of his squad to begin to withdraw from the superior enemy force toward the company perimeter. Private First Class Willett covered the squad's withdrawal, but his position drew heavy enemy machinegun fire, and he received multiple wounds enabling the enemy again to pin down the remainder of the squad. Private First Class Willett struggled to an upright position, and, disregarding his painful wounds, he again engaged the enemy with his rifle to allow his squad to continue its movement and to evacuate several of his comrades who were by now wounded. Moving from position to position, he engaged the enemy at close range until he was mortally wounded. By his unselfish acts of bravery, Private First Class Willett insured the withdrawal of his comrades to the company position, saving their lives at the cost of his life. Private First Class Willett's valorous actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

General Orders: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 52 (September 30, 1968)

Action Date: 15-Feb-67

Service: Army

Company: Company C

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regiment: 12th Infantry Regiment

Division: 4th Infantry Division

Lloyd G. McCarter

40px-Text_document_with_red_question_mar
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citationsPlease improve this article by introducing more precise citations.(February 2013) Lloyd G. McCarter Lloyd_McCarter.jpg

Lloyd G. McCarter
Born May 11, 1917

St. Maries, Idaho Died February 2, 1956 (aged 38) Place of burial Woodlawn Cemetery,Saint Maries, Idaho Allegiance United States of America Service/branch United States Army Rank Private Unit 503d PIR Battles/wars World War II Awards Medal of Honor

Lloyd G. McCarter (May 11, 1917 – February 2, 1956) was a Private in the 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment of the United States Army who received the Medal of Honor during the battle to recapture Corregidor Island in the Philippines.

Rank and Organization: Private, U.S. Army, 503d Parachute Infantry Regiment. Place and Date Corregidor, Philippine Islands, February 16, 19, 1945. Entered Service at: Tacoma, Wash. Born: May 11, 1917, St. Maries, Idaho. G.O. No.: 77, September 10, 1945.

Citation:

He was a scout with the regiment which seized the fortress of Corregidor, Philippine Islands. Shortly after the initial parachute assault on 16 February 1945, he crossed 30 yards of open ground under intense enemy fire, and at pointblank range silenced a machinegun with hand grenades. On the afternoon of 18 February he killed 6 snipers. That evening, when a large force attempted to bypass his company, he voluntarily moved to an exposed area and opened fire. The enemy attacked his position repeatedly throughout the night and was each time repulsed. By 2 o'clock in the morning, all the men about him had been wounded; but shouting encouragement to his comrades and defiance at the enemy, he continued to bear the brunt of the attack, fearlessly exposing himself to locate enemy soldiers and then pouring heavy fire on them. He repeatedly crawled back to the American line to secure more ammunition. When his submachine gun would no longer operate, he seized an automatic rifle and continued to inflict heavy casualties. This weapon, in turn, became too hot to use and, discarding it, he continued with an M-1 rifle. At dawn the enemy attacked with renewed intensity. Completely exposing himself to hostile fire, he stood erect to locate the most dangerous enemy positions. He was seriously wounded; but, though he had already killed more than 30 of the enemy, he refused to evacuate until he had pointed out immediate objectives for attack. Through his sustained and outstanding heroism in the face of grave and obvious danger, Pvt. McCarter made outstanding contributions to the success of his company and to the recapture of Corregidor."                                                                                          :salute:See also[edit]

Thank You For The Post Vietnam.

I come here about everyday... while I don't always comment... please know I appreciate what you guys are doing.

These people gave their all and your keeping their memory alive and telling their stories is so important.

While I read their stories with much humility... I value learning about each and every one of them.

This may be the most wonderful and productive thread of all on Dinar Vets. JMHO

• Upvote 2

Awesome video: Arlington flyover by civilian pilots

For those of you who think Big Government has all the answers, just take a few minutes to watch this video. Two Air Force Pilots, Major Howard V. Andre Jr. and Major James E. Sizemore, were buried in 2013 at Arlington National Cemetery and were honored with a flyover by civilian pilots — the US Air Force claimed budget cuts prevented an Arlington flyover. But the civilian pilots stepped in make it happen.

The Air Force pilots were killed in action over Laos during the Vietnam War and their remains were discovered in 2012 and returned for proper burial at Arlington. This Flight of Honor was truly awesome for the other pilots to plan and conduct.

It is and always shall be the indomitable American individual spirit that will sustain the greatness of America. Last Fall when the federal government placed barriers and obstacles in the way of World War II Veterans during an Honor Flight visit, those veterans said heck no, and breached the obstacles.

When government fails we find a way to care for our fellow Americans. We find a way to honor our veterans. We find a way to honor our Fallen. God bless America!

:angel:

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 1

1797970_10152212690318270_296762422_n.jp

Today we honor Harold A Golden, who fell two years ago yesterday. He is remembered by his daughter, Michelle:

"Harold A Golden was my dad. He served two tours in Vietnam in 67/68. I don't remember his troops name from Vietnam. I do know in the late 70s he reenlisted in 101st air borne at fort Campbell ky. My dad was not only a hero to the country, he was a little girls hero. Even grown with two kids of my own I always looked at my dad as when I was a little girl. He fell [on] 2-15-12 from lung cancer from agent orange. I Love you daddy and always will be your baby girl."

• Upvote 1

Thanks TG that was a very special post about the two lost airmen.     :twothumbs: 

CongressionalMedalofHonor.gif

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor to CMOH_Johnston.jpg JOHNSTON, WILLIAM J. 
Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company G, 180th Infantry, 45th Infantry Division. 
Place and date: Near Padiglione, Italy, 1719 February 1944. 
Entered service at: Colchester, Conn. 
Birth: Trenton, N.J. 
G.O. No: 73, 6 September 1944. Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. On 17 February 1944, near Padiglione, Italy, he observed and fired upon an attacking force of approximately 80 Germans, causing at least 25 casualties and forcing withdrawal of the remainder. All that day he manned his gun without relief, subject to mortar, artillery, and sniper fire. Two Germans individually worked so close to his position that his machine gun was ineffective, whereupon he killed 1 with his pistol, the second with a rifle taken from another soldier. When a rifleman protecting his gun position was killed by a sniper, he immediately moved the body and relocated the machine gun in that spot in order to obtain a better field of fire. He volunteered to cover the platoon's withdrawal and was the last man to leave that night. In his new position he maintained an all-night vigil, the next day causing 7
German casualties. On the afternoon of the 18th, the organization on the left flank having been forced to withdraw, he again covered the withdrawal of his own organization. Shortly thereafter, he was seriously wounded over the heart, and a passing soldier saw him trying to crawl up the embankment. The soldier aided him to resume his position behind the machine gun which was soon heard in action for about 10 minutes. Though reported killed, Pfc. Johnston was seen returning to the American lines on the morning of 19 February slowly and painfully working his way back from his overrun position through enemy lines. He gave valuable information of new enemy dispositions. His heroic determination to destroy the enemy and his
disregard of his own safety aided immeasurably in halting a strong enemy attack, caused an enormous amount of enemy casualties, and so inspired his fellow soldiers that they fought for and held a vitally important position against greatly superior forces.         :salute: 

Rufus G. Herring Medal of Honor citation

Navy-MOH-Citation-300x135.jpg

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

LIEUTENANT

RUFUS GEDDIE HERRING

NAVY

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Lieutenant [then Lieutenant, Junior Grade] Rufus Geddie Herring, United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of Landing Craft Infantry Gunboat FOUR HUNDRED FORTY-NINE (LCI (G) 449), operating as a unit of LCI (G) Group EIGHT, during the pre-invasion attack on Iwo Jima, Ryukyu Islands, on 17 February 1945. Boldly closing the strongly fortified shores under the devastating fire of Japanese coastal defense guns, Lieutenant Herring directed shattering barrages of 40-mm. and 20-mm. gunfire against hostile beaches until struck down by the enemy’s savage counter-fire which blasted the 449′s heavy guns and whipped her decks into sheets of flame. Regaining consciousness despite profuse bleeding he was again critically wounded when a Japanese mortar crashed the conning station, instantly killing or fatally wounding most of the officers and leaving the ship wallowing without navigational control. Upon recovering the second time, Lieutenant Herring resolutely climbed down to the pilothouse and, fighting against his rapidly waning strength, took over the helm, established communication with the engineroom, and carried on valiantly until relief could be obtained. When no longer able to stand, he propped himself against empty shell cases and rallied his men to the aid of the wounded; he maintained position in the firing line with his 20-mm. guns in action in the face of sustained enemy fire, and conned his crippled ship to safety. His unwavering fortitude, aggressive perseverance, and indomitable spirit against terrific odds reflect the highest credit upon Lieutenant Herring and uphold the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

rgherring-99x132.jpgBorn: 11 June 1921 in Roseboro, N.C…. Also participated in the invasions of Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian and Guam… Retired as Lieutenant Commander in 1947… Departed: 31 Jan. 1996.

Like   :salute:   this:
Leave a Reply Name, requiredEmail (will not be published), requiredWebsite, if present

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.