Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Relocating Portland,Or to Merced, Ca

jon29

[Let me first say to the mod's, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize, please relocate the thread. Also, I don't know if this is within the DV guidelines, I'm just trying to research and gather info.]  

Hello DV'ers, 

Let me 1st say with this thread that I am not looking for anything from anyone other than information from Oregon or California residents. Currently, I'm facing tough decisions and trying to gather data. 

Some of you have chatted with me out here, some haven't, I've been on the DV site for awhile living life with work, bills, etc. and like the rest of us, looking for the RV of the Iraqi dinar... 

The reason for my post is basically my work up here in the Northwest has been very slow with several companies I work for with few hours and I'm faced with sticking around in Portland with room rentals or just my car or cutting losses and driving down to California. I was stationed at Castle AFB in Merced years ago and thought it would be refreshing to be there again. For now, at least the weather is warmer in CA. 

Whatever the case, I need to find steady work and room rental and re-establish myself either up here or in Cali. Any info. you guys have would be appreciated. My relatives are on the east coast so I've been flying solo out here since 2007 and it's been challenging trying to settle in with work, housing, social networks, etc.

Anyway, like I said at the beginning, I DON'T want a handout or anything from anyone other than prayer and information regarding work, rentals, good churches, etc.

I'm typically very self reliant and it's humbling to post something like this. I really could use some information before I pack for California. 

Feel free to drop a reply in my profile if you like. I can get in touch through gmail or something. Thanks in advance.  

Adam and Mod's---Thank you for the website and I hope this thread is within the guidelines. Peace.   

Jon,

I have to agree with Texas Granny. California is so very expensive everywhere. I have friends that moved to Texas a couple of years ago and they love it.

Jobs, housing so much better and life style in general so much better. They also said that the people are very warm and friendly.

Good luck to you I'll be sending you prayers.

MIT     :)

Jon29 I'm on the East coast so don't have relocation info however I have you in my prayers!    :praying:   

BTW we have some of best caring folks around anywhere so due diligence is always good from TG's idea.

jon,

if opportunity is the only reason for moving to cali...I would really evaluate. granny was right. texas is cheaper and no state tax. last year I was thinking of relocating to spokane, wa. if it were me, I would relocate to a non state tax state. texas, washington would be my first choice.   

from cali

Hey Jon,

What kind of work do you do or what areas of work are you looking to get into.. (what was you AFCS) ? Central valley has a huge project around Stockton, about an hour away, with a whole variety of openings, depending upon fit.... I also know some people looking for construction folk, just not long term projects right now, but would maybe tie you over .... I'm sure you know Castle was closed as an active SAC base... not sure what the city is doing with it. There's a large military intelligence community as well as other specialities, in central as well. Hit me up on email if you want to talk more. I'm prior USAF and have prior military buds working as civilians in the area. Of course with sequester, and furloughs, don't know, but will check into it if it fits and you want more info. Just let me know you emailed. I get like 4000 a week and sometimes miss stuff.... :rolleyes: Good luck with whatever you decide.... and like others said, USAF and Texas are one in the same, we all spent a whole lot of time down there at one point in our careers... and I too have had friends retire down there and they really like it.

• Upvote 1

TexasGranny, millionaire in training, wc41, haden'sdad, and Rayzur,

Thanks for all the replies and info. guys! Texas would be great, I thought about moving there to live. I'll have to look at my budget and see what I can handle right now. The only time I went to Texas was years ago in July for basic training at Lackland in San Antonio. The heat and a T.I. yelling at us every day wasn't a very good impression.  :lol: People up here in Northern Oregon that were from Texas have told me the job prospects are good down there, so I need to look into it.  

Rayzur, thank you for the wealth of info. in your response. Yes, I heard Castle's been closed down and the KC135's aren't flying in anymore. Now they have the Castle Air Museum. I was a flight line jet engine mechanic there, J57's that went in the KC135's. Before that it was in shop work on F100 jet engines that went in the F15's. Nowadays I've been doing merchandise resets at night, building and installing furniture, setting beams, shelving, stocking, etc. To be honest it's grunt work that doesn't pay very much, so I've been searching for mechanic type jobs. Something that is steady work, decent pay, but you don't have to work like a dog or be built like a 350 lb body builder to keep up the pace.  

People have been telling me that the oil industry in Texas or Idaho (? not sure) hires people often, so I need to look into that. I've always been more comfortable with blue collar work; tearing stuff down, looking at schematics, repairing, assembling, and testing machines, than working in an office 8 hours a day behind a computer. I have a BA in English and have some computer skills, but I enjoy a mix of both worlds. Anyway, not to get into my life story here... :lol: I'll send over an email to you and maybe I can get some info. on employers with steady work (if there are any left out here in America). :lol:

Thanks again all! I really appreciate the caring community out here on DVet's. TexasGranny, thanks for allowing the thread and the feedback. ;) Peace and be well.  

• Upvote 1

Jon, I pray that God shows you

mercy and favor where ever you

decide to go. That new doors of

opportunity open up for you, that

what ever you put your hand to do,

prospers. I ask  that blessings begin

to overtake you, that you see the Hand

of God on your life in every way. I ask

for abundance to replace lack, for peace

to replace anxiety, for this new hope you

have to replace all forms of discouragement 

and doubt. I ask that God give you a new

beginning, a fresh start, and that you find

friends that will be like family. I pray for

boldness and the assurance that God is

directing your path, I pray this

in the Name of Jesus.

I know that I know, that He hears us and

He answers. ~ believing for God's best for 

you, friend ~

• Upvote 1

Jon, I pray that God shows you

mercy and favor where ever you

decide to go. That new doors of

opportunity open up for you, that

what ever you put your hand to do,

prospers. I ask  that blessings begin

to overtake you, that you see the Hand

of God on your life in every way. I ask

for abundance to replace lack, for peace

to replace anxiety, for this new hope you

have to replace all forms of discouragement 

and doubt. I ask that God give you a new

beginning, a fresh start, and that you find

friends that will be like family. I pray for

boldness and the assurance that God is

directing your path, I pray this

in the Name of Jesus.

I know that I know, that He hears us and

He answers. ~ believing for God's best for 

you, friend ~

Thank you Patty I really appreciate the well thought out words and blessing of your prayer. I recieve it. It's been a tough time for many people in America right now, I hope all of us find clear direction and solid answers for the challenges we are going through. May God guide us all.  

*Btw, I want to share something good with you all---The end of July I had a collision with my car that totalled it. No injuries, and it's driveable, but have had a challenge finding another used car within a budget. Well check this out: During my search, I found a local garage where a man was selling a used car in great condition. I couldn't believe this guy's solid character, compassion, and consideration. We agreed on a good price (I'm actually paying for the car and picking it up next week). Not only did this guy give me a great price on the car, he went the extra mile and put in like $700 additional work to insure the car would be reliable and last a long time; changed the timing belt, all belts, the water pump, put in new tires, etc. I asked him if he was spiritual or went to one of the local churches. He answered that he doesn't attend church, he just believes in honest business and cares about his customers.

In a city where most of the people you meet are 'all business' and could care less about the outcome, it's refreshing to meet a man who cares and puts in the time and work to insure someone is safe. It really renewed my faith in humanity. 

TexasGranny, millionaire in training, wc41, haden'sdad, and Rayzur,

Thanks for all the replies and info. guys! Texas would be great, I thought about moving there to live. I'll have to look at my budget and see what I can handle right now. The only time I went to Texas was years ago in July for basic training at Lackland in San Antonio. The heat and a T.I. yelling at us every day wasn't a very good impression.  :lol: People up here in Northern Oregon that were from Texas have told me the job prospects are good down there, so I need to look into it.  

Rayzur, thank you for the wealth of info. in your response. Yes, I heard Castle's been closed down and the KC135's aren't flying in anymore. Now they have the Castle Air Museum. I was a flight line jet engine mechanic there, J57's that went in the KC135's. Before that it was in shop work on F100 jet engines that went in the F15's. Nowadays I've been doing merchandise resets at night, building and installing furniture, setting beams, shelving, stocking, etc. To be honest it's grunt work that doesn't pay very much, so I've been searching for mechanic type jobs. Something that is steady work, decent pay, but you don't have to work like a dog or be built like a 350 lb body builder to keep up the pace.  

People have been telling me that the oil industry in Texas or Idaho (? not sure) hires people often, so I need to look into that. I've always been more comfortable with blue collar work; tearing stuff down, looking at schematics, repairing, assembling, and testing machines, than working in an office 8 hours a day behind a computer. I have a BA in English and have some computer skills, but I enjoy a mix of both worlds. Anyway, not to get into my life story here... :lol: I'll send over an email to you and maybe I can get some info. on employers with steady work (if there are any left out here in America). :lol:

Thanks again all! I really appreciate the caring community out here on DVet's. TexasGranny, thanks for allowing the thread and the feedback. ;) Peace and be well.  

Just wanted to let you know to check the job listing online for L-3 Communications in Greenville, TX - My son works there and says they have a lot of open req's for aircraft mechanic types, electrical, mechanical, etc. They do mod/maintenance with huge government contracts. Good place to work - good salaries.

:cowboy2:

I  say this with all respect to you as a person for you own sake. DON'T MOVE HERE. The politics suck. 2nd A rights are going in the toilet and it will get worse. I have lived here all my life. As a state it has good points but half the people that vote are nuts. We are the state that gave you Boxer, Feinstein and Pelosi. I am not proud of it.  I would move to any Free state that would have me and mine but my job is here. I have a little over 2 years to go before I retire. I hope I can hold out for that long. .

Wow - I live in CA and I like the weather a lot and most of the people are pretty nice around where I live but I get hit hard with taxes, gas prices, high store costs, my city utility bill goes up every month, pennies at a time but none the less.

I am not sure.. maybe it is like this all over but gee wiz I would think a no state tax state would be a

better choice.

If you like 110 degree heat and big fat mosquitoes in the summer time then come on down.  I never lived in Merced but I spent some time in Chowchilla, full of pheasant and jackrabbits. Bring your shotgun.

Other than that God bless you. 

I  say this with all respect to you as a person for you own sake. DON'T MOVE HERE. The politics suck. 2nd A rights are going in the toilet and it will get worse. I have lived here all my life. As a state it has good points but half the people that vote are nuts. We are the state that gave you Boxer, Feinstein and Pelosi. I am not proud of it.  I would move to any Free state that would have me and mine but my job is here. I have a little over 2 years to go before I retire. I hope I can hold out for that long. .

Well I second that!