Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Republican Congressman: 30 Or 40 Birthers Are Driving Government Shutdown

Republican Congressman: 30 Or 40 Birthers Are Driving Government Shutdown

During an appearance on MSNBC’s Hardball on Tuesday, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) told host Chris Matthews that “probably 30 or 40 Republicans” in Congress reject President Barack Obama’s legitimacy in office and are essentially trying to undo his presidency.

Matthews told King that he had heard several members of the GOP make incendiary statements about Obama, implying that they couldn’t stomach the reality that he was actually elected president. King replied that there is, in fact, a sizable number of Republicans who think that way:

MATTHEWS: I’ve had members, they know who they are, they say — ‘I really can’t say with these lips that this man, Barack Obama, was elected president.’ They choke on that. How many are there in Congress on your side that represent that rejectionist front? [...]

KING: 
I would say there are probably 30 or 40 who are like that.
As there were a number of Democrats who felt that way about George W. Bush, and going back to when you and I first met, Republicans who felt that way about Bill Clinton… This is a very dangerous aspect to our government… 
The fact that we have people who are willing to demonize the president of the United States because he’s from a different party… and now, obviously, with President Obama, it’s definitely there.

Rep Kings position starts @ 2:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1x1YUPHF4

Multiple GOP congressmen, including Rep. Steve King (R-IA)Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO)Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK), and House Homeland Security Oversight Subcommittee Chariman Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) have questioned whether or not Obama’s birth certificate showing that he was born in the United States is fake. Duncan even told a conservative radio host that it would be appropriate for Congress to “revisit” the president’s “validity.”

King is one of a growing number of Republicans to argue that shutting down the government over Obamacare is a big mistake.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

Those thirty or forty republicans are "shutting down the government" in protest of Obama adding seventeen amendments to Obamacare AFTER it was approved by our government (those alterations contributed to making it the unaffordable care act).  That is unconstitutional. I fully support them.

under what rock do you live?? Unconstitutional?? were you sleeping when the Supreme Court deemed it constitutional?? Or are you one of the quasi constitutionalist that reads the constitution as you please and disregards a litle over 200 years of history??? 

ObamaCare Is Constitutional; Get Over It

Supreme Court upholds individual mandate, ObamaCare survives

In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled as constitutional the so-called individual mandate requiring most Americans to obtain health insurance starting in 2014. 

Just in case you did not know, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) had legal precedent going back to 1798. When the 5th congress and President John Adams Made into law  Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen. A Law that mandated the purchase of healtchare insurance. 

You have the right to your personal opinion, but you dont have the right the facts or to the sloppy attempt to rewrite history.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

I hope the government stays shut down for the next 4 years, that way obama cant do any more damage than hes already done. So I dont get my VA check! I'll gladly give it up to get rid of this marxist.

You don't care but thousands of veterans need their VA checks and the VA facilities to survive. If you have a death wish when you get you next check just send it back. But don't punish the rest of the vets or the military over a lost cause by birthers.

13 republicans have already jumped ship in the house, many more will follow. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Go back to Cspan videos. Watch the final counts for the affordable healthcare act. Be freaked out how no republican was allowed to speak. The modirator shut them down everytime they spoke!

Just like when the republicans walked out and turned off the microphones of demoicrats when they were trying to get tax cuts for the middle class?? It happens on both sides of the aisle. Republicans and democrats both do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We are starting A constitutional convention here in Texas ! based on mark levins book. these crooks in washington fixin to see a new shrieff in town!

You don't care but thousands of veterans need their VA checks and the VA facilities to survive. If you have a death wish when you get you next check just send it back. But don't punish the rest of the vets or the military over a lost cause by birthers.

13 republicans have already jumped ship in the house, many more will follow. 

so do i  but your flat wrong

• Upvote 3

Just like when the republicans walked out and turned off the microphones of demoicrats when they were trying to get tax cuts for the middle class?? It happens on both sides of the aisle. Republicans and democrats both do it.

both sides are evil  

so what or who are you defending  , the Dems  or  lack of common sense 

obummer care is bad  no matter how who want to see it 

• Upvote 5

Fat cats in washington still getting paid.

Yep they will hurt the vet and whoever else they can to make the other side look like they are the cause of it.

The idiot (obama) wanted it to shut down as a political ploy. 

He couldn't give a fat rats a$$ as to who it would affect.

He refuses to negotiate even a little bit.

The worse frickin president in US history will be his legacy.

If the military is hurt it`s their president that did it.

You have to draw the line somewhere and I for one am glad it shut down.

Its to damm big and they want to make it even bigger.

Screw the govt 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

First of all I have no respect for Peter King.  He has made comments that are not worthy of a congressman.  Secondly, either the Constitution is the hallmark and cornerstone of this nation or it is nothing.  If there are those who no longer care if Obama is native born as demanded by the Constitution then they are not worthy of their position in Congress and needs to resign.  Either believe in the Constitution and support all of it or remove yourself so that someone who does can take your stop.  If you have abandoned the totality of the Constitution you are a traitor and have violated the oath of office you took and need to be tried as such.

• Upvote 6

Obama will use this to hurt the citizens as much as he can to push the blame on the other side.  The other side has given him opportunity over and over again to do whats right for the people and he has rejected every chance to promote goodwill and hangs on to gloating in an effort to promote his omnipotence. 

• Upvote 5

Fat cats in washington still getting paid.

Yep they will hurt the vet and whoever else they can to make the other side look like they are the cause of it.

The idiot (obama) wanted it to shut down as a political ploy. 

He couldn't give a fat rats a$$ as to who it would affect.

He refuses to negotiate even a little bit.

The worse frickin president in US history will be his legacy.

If the military is hurt it`s their president that did it.

You have to draw the line somewhere and I for one am glad it shut down.

Its to damm big and they want to make it even bigger.

Screw the govt 

Where was all this concern for veterans, when the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY shut down the U.S. government? This is not only my opinion, but over 70% of America thinks the blame belong to the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY.  

I watched on television the appalling display of concern by the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY, for those WWII veterans trying to get in to see the memorial erected in their honor.  Moreover, a “shut down” situation created by REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY.

I care about and what happens to veterans.  I am the widow of a Vietnam era veteran, who served two (2) tours and died in 2010 with the bullet he received in that awful war still in him. He loved his country, other military personnel he served with, hated the Army and the Veterans Administration.  He championed many Veterans causes with his time and money. His closest friend in the world was a Veteran he served in Vietnam with, who lives under a bridge and has lived there, since being honorably discharged from military service.  My husband who was a veteran, did not care much for REPUBLICANS, even less for Democrats (I am Progressive/Democrat), only tolerated the Libertarians because of their strong 2nd Amendment position.  His political persuasion was “one man, one vote” period.

A lot of the services being affected by this irresponsible political “shutdown” are used by many veterans, active-duty personnel and their families.  I know and have known many military families that regard these various services as “life-lines”. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I just love it when people spit out the dem talking points.  None of this is one sided.  It is a fool to think that it is.  Reid has dogmatically stated he would not even bring to the flood certain things.  That is not his to choose.  The morons in Congress should not be paid while military should keep getting their salary because they are doing their job.  I was glad to see that there was at least a politician with a set of nonades who was willing to cut the tape and let the WWII vets in the display.  The WWII vets at least had a set and made a difference in this country.  I feel so bad for our present vets because you cannot have a polite war and you cannot lead a war from a cute little office in D.C.  Politicians need to shut up and let our military do what they have been trained to do.  This snafu falls at the feet of all in Congress. 

• Upvote 3

1382391_10152199063151729_558888989_n.jp
Let me take a few moments to simply explain what has happened in Washington DC. Once the President signs something into law, it is supposed to apply to everyone, unless that president is Obama. He has granted waivers, exemptions, and delays to his cronies and allies. House Republicans asked that if delays, waivers, and exemptions to this "fantastic" law were good for some, they should be good for all Americans. But Obama, Reid, and Pelosi said no. House Republicans asked that a specific 2.3% medical device tax, which is causing jobs to ship overseas, be repealed. Again, Obama, Reid, and Pelosi said no. And now Obama is threatening to veto a measure to support veterans program spending. Obama, the liberal media, and Democrats are lying to you America. They don't give a damn about you, just power. Obamacare is not a law, according to our Constitutional Republic, because laws apply to everyone. But not in King Obama's empire

origin: Allen West

• Upvote 5

I don't understand the discussion about the Constitution and it demanding who is or is not a natural born citizen....... Maybe because I'm military officer and we were given a handbook copy of the Constitution and Bill Rights, I was able to read it cover to cover.... but geezzzzz there is the internet and it is possible to read what these documents say.... Its not sounding right to be so intensely adamant about something, when it doesn't exist.

The Constitution does NOT specify what is or is not considered to be a natural born citizen. It simply does not. And Constitutionalists who are perhaps fighting a different fight than that of the birther question, ..... are still upholding the Constitution even if they don't have a dog in  this fight.... Guys, its not in the Constitution...

Somewhere in another post, there was this discussion:

The question was, why hasn't a Court ruled on O not being or being a natural born citizen:

From my quick analysis /rapid scan,  most filings regarding his status were  dismissed as there was no standing...You can't fight this as a Constitutional issue, and so have to find a means to file that gives you standing.... So far no one has been able to achieve this.  Thus there would be no ruling.

However, there have been a variety of judicial opinions most of which have been in favour of him as a natural born citizen inasmuch as:

There is no constitutional definition of what means...

His mom is/was a US citizen (kansas I think) making him natural born [though there are some who quote statute, while neglecting his place of birth]

The opinion accepted that he was born in Hawaii... making him a US citizen (natural born) [iF this is successfully challenged, it might change the game, however, his mom is still a US citizen and then you have the standing issue, though I imagine it might be easier to achieve... that I don't know.

Because this was such an issue and it was noted that it was not clearly codified in any statute, and most certainly not defined by the Constitution, legislation was passed in 2011 that  defines what natural born means... and he meets that threshold as well...

Congressional Research Service report. Federation of American Scientists. November 14, 2011. p. 2. Retrieved February 25, 2012. "In addition to historical and textual analysis, numerous holdings and references in federal (and state) cases for more than a century have clearly indicated that those born in the United States and subject to its jurisdiction (i.e., not born to foreign diplomats or occupying military forces), even to alien parents, are citizens 'at birth' or 'by birth,' and are 'natural born,' as opposed to 'naturalized,' U.S. citizens. There is no provision in the Constitution and no controlling American case law to support a contention that the citizenship of one's parents governs the eligibility of a native born U.S. citizen to be President."

Please be clear I am not supporting or denying the merits of the case. I'm not. Either way.

I am saying its not in the Constitution and alienating those who are Constitutionalists by stating it is, might be not the best approach..

If the effort is to establish case law.... I'll have grandkids before that ever sees the light of day. Its a slow journey. And I would doubt a viable one in that law statute has been since passed.

In terms of cost/benefit in outcomes, I personally am not sure that I would want to devote my energy to  this issue as much as those I consider more germane to civil liberty and the fundamental foundation of the Constitution. ... It does not mean I don't find it worthy or unimportant, it just means I'm chewing on a different leg of the same elephant in the room. :peace:

Edited by Rayzur
  • Upvote 1

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

12th amendment

• Upvote 2

Where was all this concern for veterans, when the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY shut down the U.S. government? This is not only my opinion, but over 70% of America thinks the blame belong to the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY.  

I watched on television the appalling display of concern by the REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY, for those WWII veterans trying to get in to see the memorial erected in their honor.  Moreover, a “shut down” situation created by REPUBLICAN/TEA PARTY.

I care about and what happens to veterans.  I am the widow of a Vietnam era veteran, who served two (2) tours and died in 2010 with the bullet he received in that awful war still in him. He loved his country, other military personnel he served with, hated the Army and the Veterans Administration.  He championed many Veterans causes with his time and money. His closest friend in the world was a Veteran he served in Vietnam with, who lives under a bridge and has lived there, since being honorably discharged from military service.  My husband who was a veteran, did not care much for REPUBLICANS, even less for Democrats (I am Progressive/Democrat), only tolerated the Libertarians because of their strong 2nd Amendment position.  His political persuasion was “one man, one vote” period.

A lot of the services being affected by this irresponsible political “shutdown” are used by many veterans, active-duty personnel and their families.  I know and have known many military families that regard these various services as “life-lines”. 

With respect mame.  You have the right to be as progressive as you like . Your husband fought for that right and I owe him a debt of graditude.

But I also have those same rights 

and my opinion stands. 

Never has there been a administration that has so flagrantly violated the constitution of this country. 

The corruption in washington by both parties is disgusting.

But really you have to ask yourself.

Why wont this birthing thing go away.

It seems there must be a kernel of truth behind it or it would have put its self to bed long ago.

as far as who shut down the govt.

That would be the DEM`s

pretending not to have enough money to keep people going when not three weeks ago they had

enough money to start another war.

BS 

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1

under what rock do you live?? Unconstitutional?? were you sleeping when the Supreme Court deemed it constitutional?? Or are you one of the quasi constitutionalist that reads the constitution as you please and disregards a litle over 200 years of history??? 

ObamaCare Is Constitutional; Get Over It

Supreme Court upholds individual mandate, ObamaCare survives

Just in case you did not know, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) had legal precedent going back to 1798. When the 5th congress and President John Adams Made into law  Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen. A Law that mandated the purchase of healtchare insurance. 

You have the right to your personal opinion, but you dont have the right the facts or to the sloppy attempt to rewrite history.

Thank you “dinar_stud”!  You are a person that know “current” events and history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With respect mame.  You have the right to be as progressive as you like . Your husband fought for that right and I owe him a debt of graditude.

But I also have those same rights 

and my opinion stands. 

Never has there been a administration that has so flagrantly violated the constitution of this country. 

The corruption in washington by both parties is disgusting.

But really you have to ask yourself.

Why wont this birthing thing go away.

It seems there must be a kernel of truth behind it or it would have put its self to bed long ago.

as far as who shut down the govt.

That would be the DEM`s

pretending not to have enough money to keep people going when not three weeks ago they had

enough money to start another war.

BS 

With even more respect sir, I sincerely enjoy the respectfully banter of “ideology” with you.  Moreover, you also have the right to be conservative as you like.

Thank you for the kind words you said about my late husband.

I respect your rights, but my opinion also still stand.

I disagree strongly with you, that this administration has flagrantly violated the constitution of this country.

However, I can agree with you that Washington, D.C. corruption is shared by both parties.

I never ask myself “WHY”, the “birthing issue has not gone away”, in my opinion, it’s not. The extremist-conservative Republican/Tea Party will always believe this “nonsense” to be true, with an emphasis on “Tea Party”.   I am an active member of a very large, well known sorority, the majority of my sorority membership is Republican upwardly mobile women in large corporations and businesses, don’t share this Tea Party “birthing” view(s).

Respectfully

• Upvote 2