Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Vince Gill Confronts Westboro Baptist Church As They Protest His Concert

dinar_stud

Vince Gill Confronts Westboro Baptist Church As They Protest His Concert

Westboro Baptist church got quite a surprise last Sunday when they were protesting outside of a Vince Gull concert at Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City, Mo.

They were protesting because Vince had been divorced and remarried, of which they consider adultery. He split with Sweethearts of the Rodeo singer Janis Oliver in 1998, and he’s been married to singer/songwriter Amy Grant for the past 13 years.

As the video begins, Gill is seen approaching the picketers. A woman asks: “Vince Gill, what in the world are you doing out here?” His answer: “I just came to see what hate looked like.”

At the end of the video, Gill asks: “Are any of you guys Phelpses? Or are you guys like the C team?” That’s in reference to Westboro Baptist founder Fred Phelps, whose family makes up the bulk of the small congregation of the Topeka-based church.

Warning video contains strong language:

• Upvote 1

Deuteronomy 24:1 NKJV
"When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house,

• Matthew 5:31 NKJV
    "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
  • Matthew 19:1-12 NKJV1 Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these sayings, that He departed from Galilee and came to the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. 2 And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them there. 3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?" 4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." 7 They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?" 8 He said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery." 10 His disciples said to Him, "If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry." 11 But He said to them, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: 12 For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

WM13

• Upvote 2

Deuteronomy 24:1 NKJV

"When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house,

• Matthew 5:31 NKJV
    "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
  • Matthew 19:1-12 NKJV 1 Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these sayings, that He departed from Galilee and came to the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. 2 And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them there. 3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?" 4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' 5 and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." 7 They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?" 8 He said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery." 10 His disciples said to Him, "If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry." 11 But He said to them, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: 12 For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

WM13

Your people out there, buddy. Why aren't you out there protesting?

Fred needs you.

Good for him. This group does not represent Christianity. This is just another man made religious group bent on twisting Gods word to mold it into what they want to believe. Christianity is simple but groups like this seek to complicate it by twisting it.

"Man-made" religious group?

Was the early Christian "group" made by aliens?

Talk about twisting...

I have news for you fundies - Westboro, Oral Roberts, 700 Club...other rabid evangelicals - ever wonder why people get mad at you? Because you PUSH your religion on others.

I don't push Buddhism or Natural Law on you. Why do you push Jesus on others?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Fred needs you.

Talk about twisting...

I have news for you fundies - Westboro, Oral Roberts, 700 Club...other rabid evangelicals - ever wonder why people get mad at you? Because you PUSH your religion on others.

Wow! I make one statement about twisting Gods word and you claim that someone is pushing Jesus on you. Christianity is about choices. More specific it is about the freedom of choices and the accountability that comes with making those choices. You are free to believe what you want. Jesus simplified the Ten Commandments because He knew that mankind was simple minded. But many still refuse to understand. That is why they will never understand the Ten Commandments and why they seek so hard to eliminate them . But everyone of us will stand before God on judgement day. God gave us a way to be able to stand but you have the freedom to refuse that help.

• Upvote 1

Remember, divorce is NOT the unpardonable sin!  If, you got a lawful divorce (mate committed adultery) you are automatically free to remarry.  If you got an unlawful divorce (other than adultery) and you later realize what the deal is, repent and ask God to forgive you, then no one should tell you that you can not remarry.  When God forgives, it is like it never happened  . . . as far as the east is from the west . . . you are white as snow.

I read a book called Marriage, Divorce & Remarriage according to Scripture, which was very insightful on this subject . . . many years ago. 

(My pastor says that you can judge someone by their fruits but when the Scripture is saying judge not . . . that this means that you do not pass sentence on them!  He is a Greek and Hebrew Scholar and very wise.  Westboro Church passes sentence on people . . . ) 

The New Testament is all about love . . . submitting to one another, in love. 

• Upvote 2

Fred needs you.

Talk about twisting...

You are a very disturbed soul.  I will pray for you in Jesus' name.  God loves you and so do I.

• Upvote 2

Why cant I judge Christians by the actions of these Christians? Why can I read a crap load of stuff about certain other religions based upon the actions of a few, but not apply the same litmus to the religion of these clowns? Seems rather hypocritical to me.

This only goes to show there are bad apples in EVERY group out there. Judge a person by their actions towards YOU. As the Dalai Lama once said, "The greatest religion is that one that brings you closer to YOUR God, makes you a better person to your fellow man....."

Luke 6:37 NKJV
"Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
Romans 14:13 NKJV
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.
James 4:12 NKJV
There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?
James 5:9 NKJV
Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door!

WM13

• Upvote 1

You are a very disturbed soul.  I will pray for you in Jesus' name.  God loves you and so do I.

Great. Just don't tell me what I have to believe.

And don't put it in politics.

Wow! I make one statement about twisting Gods word and you claim that someone is pushing Jesus on you. Christianity is about choices. More specific it is about the freedom of choices and the accountability that comes with making those choices. You are free to believe what you want. Jesus simplified the Ten Commandments because He knew that mankind was simple minded. But many still refuse to understand. That is why they will never understand the Ten Commandments and why they seek so hard to eliminate them . But everyone of us will stand before God on judgement day. God gave us a way to be able to stand but you have the freedom to refuse that help.

Not what I said.

I mean Westboro people are Christians. You are saying they are not. They are very much like many fundamentalists.

You also said they are "man-made" - what does that mean?

The real Christians are God-made? And who are these?

"He is without sin throw the first stone"... that said by the Son of the Most High... hmmm... funny thing... all the guys that wanted to "stone the adulter" in the good book left... even more amazing... they only brought the woman to be stoned... maybe the guy belonged to their local synagogue or men's club???   :shrug:  Dunno... but I do know this... I'm not perfect... far, far from it... so who am I to judge another.  Well, let me rephrase that... cause in all honesty... I don't like hypocrites, liers, or folks that take advantage of others... other than that... I can get along with everyone from bikers, rednecks, athletes, intellectuals, retired, hard workin' blue collar workers, white collar three piece suit types, etc, etc..., as long as they have respect for others... I'll give em all the respect in the world.  Hate em though???  I'm pretty sure if we hold others to a higher standard than we hold ourselves the ground under our feet will begin to sink.... but that's just my :twocents:   

No offence Hame... but I don't believe anybody held a gun to your head to "force you" to read this thread did they??? :cowboy1:  I didn't think so.... point invalid buddy... try anther tactic please.. that one's kinda wore out!!!  ;)

You and me both, Rod-n-Staff. I can like anyone who is RESPECTFUL to me. Unfortunately, when I lived in the US, I was getting people like the Westboro's types pushing their ideas upon me without invitation (I didn't ask them. Why do they feel they need to share their beliefs upon me?). I THINK that is what Hame was referring to. Here, no one is asking, "Have you heard the word of Lord Buddha?" It is really a mind-your-own-bizz attitude. It is wonderful. There are good-n-bad in ALL GROUPS, religions, etc. Speaking of Lord Buddha, he taught that one should never judge the person, but only learn from their actions, whether good or bad, everything can help us achieve enlightenment. Something these Westboros'-types really need help with!!! Dunno, just saying.....Peace and a HUGE fruit platter is waiting for you here!

• Upvote 1

Great. Just don't tell me what I have to believe.

And don't put it in politics.

Not what I said.

I mean Westboro people are Christians. You are saying they are not. They are very much like many fundamentalists.

You also said they are "man-made" - what does that mean?

The real Christians are God-made? And who are these?

People can call themselves whatever they want and claim that they are doing it in the name of God. These people are not doing anything but causing hatred. It would appear to me that they have a god. But it ain't God. God hates sin, not people.