Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Minimum Wage

cooked

Bravo to you. Sounds like a business model many should use. You were also lucky to bring on the right people. With the right system and the right people, a team can go a long way. If the dinar ever pops we all may want to have you coach us in our future endeavors. I have no problem paying someone a fair wage, I just cannot justify paying $15 an hour to flip a burger where there is absolutely no skill needed. Paying a well skilled builder to construct a quality house is good business. Keep up your good work.

Just curious, why the neg? I was commending on a good philosophy.

• Upvote 1

There are 2 types of people in the world: Group 1 is those who follow their dreams and create their own destiny. Group 2 is those that are hired by Group 1. If you don't create your own life plan, chances are that you will fall into someone's else's life plan. If you don't determine what you are worth then someone else will. This is why I work from home and I create my own income. So, screw minimum wage, because I (and only I) will determine what my "work" is worth.  :twocents:

• Upvote 3

:bravo:

I kind of like how some countries make all people enter the army or some form of service when they reach a certain age and serve 2 years for their country. I know, some people will automatically protest, but the service can teach respect and instill a sense of pride in people and make them want to be more than just a drain on our system.

With that time in Service learn a trade that they can use to get a better paying job and become a positive part of our society vice a drain on the Society.

• Upvote 1

Bravo to you. Sounds like a business model many should use. You were also lucky to bring on the right people. With the right system and the right people, a team can go a long way. If the dinar ever pops we all may want to have you coach us in our future endeavors. I have no problem paying someone a fair wage, I just cannot justify paying $15 an hour to flip a burger where there is absolutely no skill needed. Paying a well skilled builder to construct a quality house is good business. Keep up your good work.

Thank You Cooked :)

I appreciate you bringing this topic up because it's an important one... I also can appreciate your views on this... I really do.

I don't want to see folks being moved to the head of the line without putting in their time either.

Just maybe this will help in looking at this in a broader view a little bit...

I'm not sure but I thought the proposed rate was around $9.00 per hr.

Ok back to flipping burgers :) someone has to do it.

I feel that anyone willing to work 40 hours a week should not need foodstamps to eat.

I'll admit that I am coming mostly from human compassion... I want people to have some dignity during some mighty tough times.

I have seen many people my age at the window... maybe it was the best employment they could find right now?

The price of burgers has gone up while wages have not... something to note.

Heck! In Utah a waitress is paid $2.50 an hr because of some special law passed in this state... That Is An Insane Law!!! :o

Anyhows... It also makes economic sense to me to pass the cost of living on to the employers... and get folks off foodstamps.

That way we are not All paying the bill for employers to make their ever increasing profits off our backs. :)

Thanks Again Cooked

With that time in Service learn a trade that they can use to get a better paying job and become a positive part of our society vice a drain on the Society.

I like that idea very much for our young ones. :twothumbs:

What about our older workers that had a trade and have been "downsized".

I would think even a "Wallmart Greeter" should be able to hold their head up high. :)

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 2

With all the talk of raising our minimum wage, I cannot imagine the long range effects it would have. You would double the labor rate of many products made here. You would drive off sooo many manufacturing jobs here that unemployment would be off the charts. If you think China takes a lot of our jobs now, just wait and see what happens with a $15 an hour minimum wage. I have no disrespect for low wage workers, but you earn what you work for(difficult and extraordinary situations excluded).

It also demeans what other professionals have worked hard to achieve. I am a nurse and worked hard to earn a degree and make a good life for myself. what does it say when one can push a broom or flip burgers and make almost half of what I worked years to achieve? This is such a bad idea for our economy. Small businesses cannot afford to pay these wages. Your morning joe at Starbucks just doubled in price. Say good bye to the dollar menu at Burger King or Mickey D's. Say hello to out of control unemployment. And if they do pass it and realize they screwed up, there is no way to turn back the clock. You cannot repeal the wage law and say to millions of people, sorry we are cutting your pay in half. Think about it, call your senators and such. Do not let this happen. The country cannot afford $15 an hour min wage laws.

Again, no disrespect to the lower wage earners, I just don't see any good from it. What does it tell others? You don't need a good education or training to earn $15 an hour, you just need crazy laws. Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to sound snobbish or prudish or anything. I just do not see this as a good idea.

I have read many posts on DV, and this one takes the cake as probably the most nearsighted post I have ever read here.

Do you mean to say they haven't already moved any jobs they can, overseas? Of course they have.

The ones that are left need to have a living wage - I cannot even believe you are saying this.

"Please Senators...save us from a decent wage" - Give me a BREAK! You are asking the millionaire's club in the Senate to do this? (average wealth in Senate $3.4 million)

You are too late. 

They already voted down decent wage laws many times, while you were asleep.

Why? They are millionaires for a reason - (low wages)

I am afraid you have NO IDEA what you are writing about. None at all.

Let me take a wild guess - vote Republican?

Thank You Cooked :)

I appreciate you bringing this topic up because it's an important one... I also can appreciate your views on this... I really do.

I don't want to see folks being moved to the head of the line without putting in their time either.

Just maybe this will help in looking at this in a broader view a little bit...

I'm not sure but I thought the proposed rate was around $9.00 per hr.

Ok back to flipping burgers :) someone has to do it.

I feel that anyone willing to work 40 hours a week should not need foodstamps to eat.

I'll admit that I am coming mostly from human compassion... I want people to have some dignity during some mighty tough times.

I have seen many people my age at the window... maybe it was the best employment they could find right now?

The price of burgers has gone up while wages have not... something to note.

Heck! In Utah a waitress is paid $2.50 an hr because of some special law passed in this state... That Is An Insane Law!!! :o

Anyhows... It also makes economic sense to me to pass the cost of living on to the employers... and get folks off foodstamps.

That way we are not All paying the bill for employers to make their ever increasing profits off our backs. :)

Thanks Again Cooked

I like that idea very much for our young ones. :twothumbs:

What about our older workers that had a trade and have been "downsized".

I would think even a "Wallmart Greeter" should be able to hold their head up high. :)

Nice answer Maggie---

I am afraid I was a little angrier than you on this one...sorry Cooked - you just fried me.

No one should work full time at Wal Mart and the taxpayer has to foot the bill for their health care and food stamps...sorry

In 34 states it is more profitable to sit at home and collect welfare then to work a minimum wage job.

In 11 states welfare recipients now out number the people working.

If minimum wage went up to make it more desirable to work then to stay at home

Nothing would change

In all these states the same people would stay right where they are at because they do not want to work.

The only thing that would happen is the cost of doing business would go up

and the Federal Government would raise taxes so it would get the money

The cost of goods would go up and the wage earner would end up with less then they had before the raise.

Look at history people it is right there in front of you LOOK AT IT

Quit thinking with your liberal and use your brain

Right now the Government is on the wage kick to increase revenue because this time next year we will mostly have only part time jobs.

Their next target will be American companies that they have driven overseas                                        

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise 

If we had a living wage and protection for labor like when we had unions ( and a great economy in the sixties)

guess what? 

Ever think of this? If we had this, there would be little NEED for welfare at all.

Let me spell it out for you - big business buys the politicans, then shifts the burden of having employees to the public so we pay higher taxes for their health care, etc.

Then you righties complain about high taxes to support the poor who must work without a living wage...

Either way it must be paid - one cannot work and eat for nothing.

Cooked, you are absolutlely right in your thinking. The people who think this is a good idea are so dumb. They could raise the minimum wage to $100.00 an hour and all it will do is raise prices of EVERYTHING for everybody. Just like raising taxes on corporations, the corporations just raise prices on the consumer to cover the taxes. Only dumb, stupid, ignorant, brainwashed idiots that don't understand economics would be for this kind of stupidity. It truly is sad just how downright stupid some people can be, to not understand this simple concept.

Everything is relative. If a burger cost $4.00, it's because of the cost of making that burger. If it cost $12 to make that same burger that is what the consumer will pay. If a minimum wage earner is barely getting by paying $4.00 for a burger, they will still be barely getting by, paying $12.00 for that same burger. Among other things.

I am afraid you don't understand money Mr Millionaire.

You see, as your hero Gush Limbaugh once opined "Pizza Hut pizzas are $18 in Germany where they have higher wages and free health care."

True. But as usual, his lies hide the truth - that worker doesn't have to pay $400 month in health care. And they have more to spend on the economy so it grows more. More money to spend on pizzas. In that way it is relative also.

Have anything against Henry Ford? He wanted all his workers to afford the cars they built. Think he was successful?

Think those Mexicans can afford the Suburbans they make in Leon, Guanajuato MX ?  (I've been there)

No. They cannot. Detroit workers? They already lost their auto making jobs - to the Mexicans.

Take your argument, and all jobs should go to China - cheapest workers. American workers be damned...

Edited by hame55
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

well if that is the case Hame why don't you just get laws passed to limit profit to IDK maybe 10% or 15% (which I think is stupid, btw)  Not every business can afford to keep paying everything, high wages, health insurance, jumping thru hoops,  there has to be an answer and what we are doing is NOT working! Raising the min wage DOES NOT WORK! You just seem to think all businesses are greedy and that is just not the case.

• Upvote 1

That would be the death knell for many small businesses.  Add to that the cost of Obamacare and many mid sized businesses would probably also go under.

I agree Desimo   I have a small biz and it is very difficult to keep my head above water. I really think the answer is for people to pull themselves up by the boot straps and make something out of themselves. Min wage jobs should be for students and such. Not for feeding your kids. If you cant do any better than that DONT HAVE THEM!

Edited by DinarDiva007
  • Upvote 3

The politicians complain that business are going overseas.  Then the increase regulations on production, environmental rules that are able to stop a multi-million dollar project because of a bug or weed that is considered 'rare', increased medical costs, increased business taxes. and now a supposed minimum wage that not too long ago was considered making GOOD money.  No wonder businesses are closing and moving.

I know that things can happen and people can go thru some hard times, I am not talking about that. I am talking about the people who have made a career out of scamming the system. I say give them 6 months of help then its off to the Army Barricks (for shelter) and Rice and Beans (for food). Until we make it less attractive to be on assistance than working and trying to better yourself a lot of people will look for the easy way out.

make it a loan and drug test before receiving assistance.

loan money at even say 2 percent.

• Upvote 2

I have read many posts on DV, and this one takes the cake as probably the most nearsighted post I have ever read here.

Do you mean to say they haven't already moved any jobs they can, overseas? Of course they have.

The ones that are left need to have a living wage - I cannot even believe you are saying this.

"Please Senators...save us from a decent wage" - Give me a BREAK! You are asking the millionaire's club in the Senate to do this? (average wealth in Senate $3.4 million)

You are too late. 

They already voted down decent wage laws many times, while you were asleep.

Why? They are millionaires for a reason - (low wages)

I am afraid you have NO IDEA what you are writing about. None at all.

Let me take a wild guess - vote Republican?

Nice answer Maggie---

I am afraid I was a little angrier than you on this one...sorry Cooked - you just fried me.

No one should work full time at Wal Mart and the taxpayer has to foot the bill for their health care and food stamps...sorry

If we had a living wage and protection for labor like when we had unions ( and a great economy in the sixties)

guess what? 

Ever think of this? If we had this, there would be little NEED for welfare at all.

Let me spell it out for you - big business buys the politicans, then shifts the burden of having employees to the public so we pay higher taxes for their health care, etc.

Then you righties complain about high taxes to support the poor who must work without a living wage...

Either way it must be paid - one cannot work and eat for nothing.

I am afraid you don't understand money Mr Millionaire.

You see, as your hero Gush Limbaugh once opined "Pizza Hut pizzas are $18 in Germany where they have higher wages and free health care."

True. But as usual, his lies hide the truth - that worker doesn't have to pay $400 month in health care. And they have more to spend on the economy so it grows more. More money to spend on pizzas. In that way it is relative also.

Have anything against Henry Ford? He wanted all his workers to afford the cars they built. Think he was successful?

Think those Mexicans can afford the Suburbans they make in Leon, Guanajuato MX ?  (I've been there)

No. They cannot. Detroit workers? They already lost their auto making jobs - to the Mexicans.

Take your argument, and all jobs should go to China - cheapest workers. American workers be damned...

My nearsightedness is easily eclipsed by you arrogance. You post with such class that I group you with your lover obummer. I'm tired of idiots like you calling people names and demeaning them. You can go scratch your beer nuts and kiss my arse.

My apologies to others who read this but hamme is an idiot.

• Upvote 4